Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Wheany posted:

I did a day-long hike once and a long cycle trip another time where I didn't bring enough water. I wasn't in actual danger, but it spooked me so much that I overcompensated for several years. After noticing that I usually end up emptying most of the water I take with me I've started to become better at packing what I need. I still always take a single bottle of water, a protein bar or two and a small first aid kit on even the shortest hikes. And I carry bicycle repair tools on my bike always, those I have actually had to use twice this year alone.

Eyyyy same. I hosed up one time and under packed water and forever now I will always bring more water than I need which feels totally worth it to me. I also carry the 10 essentials on anything im hiking in the mountains because I once turned a 2 mile quick trail into 10 miles by accidentally following an elk trail and ended up making a bunch of dumb mistakes because I got tired and sloppy. Forever will over compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh wow you went hiking for a night and didn't use a knife, that's crazy.

Knives are for survival. You pack survival gear in the event you find yourself in a survival situation. Mostly no one finds themselves in a real survival situation by choice so it's just uh risk assessment and management.

A knife isn't the highest on the list though since as humans we long ago discovered sharp rocks cut things. It's still very very useful to have. Highest on the list by far is a lighter. Flint and matches both struggle in wet and windy conditions, far more than a standard Bic would. It's a good idea to stash like a half dozen lighters in various bags and pockets. The more the merrier. Paracord is your next most important tool, its uses are almost unlimited. Then I would say knife and headlamp after that. Shovel next. And so on. A sleeping bag or other means of staying warm or sheltered would be a godsend but its obviously not practical to try to keep around. I keep all this stuff in my purse save the shovel so I'm ready to survive 30 days longer than average at a moment's notice.

The soviets, meanwhile, just used a pencil

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

wow that’s a crazy story. I can’t imagine how painful that was

coral atoll? just curious what country was this

Republic of the marshall island. One of the more minor vassal states of the usa.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

HashtagGirlboss posted:

The soviets, meanwhile, just used a pencil

I used the Fisher Space Pen (bullet) for a good while before finally losing it (or someone stole it I don't know). Fantastic pen. Best I ever owned. Pair it with Rite in the Rain notebooks and you can write anywhere

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Oct 1, 2022

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Good soup! posted:

I moved to Providence last year and I got the impression immediately over the summer that, yeah, it has always been like this here lol (if that makes sense)

It does and it has :laffo:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

silicone thrills posted:

Eyyyy same. I hosed up one time and under packed water and forever now I will always bring more water than I need which feels totally worth it to me. I also carry the 10 essentials on anything im hiking in the mountains because I once turned a 2 mile quick trail into 10 miles by accidentally following an elk trail and ended up making a bunch of dumb mistakes because I got tired and sloppy. Forever will over compensate.

Yeah, I was a scout leader for 3 years. Old habits die hard and I always pack way more food water and first aid junk then needed, but hey carrying all that poo poo around is a good workout.

That said, when you are taking a dozen or so ten year olds on a 2 hour hike you really do need all that stuff because who knows what they ate if anything that day.

For overnight trips we actually trained the kids to pack and had them do everything themselves and then bring their packed bags in for inspection like a week before the trip because parents are hilariously bad at packing for their kids.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I think it also depends a lot on where you typically hike, even for very, very short hikes. There are two-mile hikes where you're never far enough from a road that you stop hearing cars, and there are two mile hikes where a wrong turn means you're actually walking away from civilization.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I knew an experienced hiker couple who got lost for like 5 days and nearly died in a state park.

It seems to me a bad idea to bring absolutely nothing with you on a hike even if you expect it to be easy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I think it also depends a lot on where you typically hike, even for very, very short hikes. There are two-mile hikes where you're never far enough from a road that you stop hearing cars, and there are two mile hikes where a wrong turn means you're actually walking away from civilization.

I often hike in the Columbia River gorge where both 1 and 2 are simultaneously true and also one wrong step and you can fall 500 feet to your death :)

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Paradoxish posted:

This is true, where I live if you get going the wrong way you are going to be walking for days without crossing a road and that's if you get lucky. It's much more likely to hit the ocean or the mountains. We had a professional dog walker get lost with a bunch of her clientes dogs a couple of years back and it took them 3 days to find her. She was drinking out of streams to survive and huddling with the dogs for warmth at night.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Last time i was in Atlanta I went hiking with my middle school aged nephews and neither was aware of what large branches/logs laying across one side of a trail fork meant. I think in that area it just isn’t important to know but where I live when you see the “don’t take this fork” markings you want to pay attention

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm very experienced and very fast in the mountains and I still carry the ten essentials on almost anything mountainous because weather can turn or you can snap an ankle and turn two hours into eight. first aid, emergency bivy, knife, lighter and matches, headlamp with extra batteries all fit easily in a quart ziploc, not a big deal

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

PostNouveau posted:

I knew an experienced hiker couple who got lost for like 5 days and nearly died in a state park.

It seems to me a bad idea to bring absolutely nothing with you on a hike even if you expect it to be easy.

It's funny to have this discussion immediately after the thread spent a week mocking people who didn't evacuate. "I've waited out hurricanes before and been just fine!"

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm very experienced and very fast in the mountains and I still carry the ten essentials on almost anything mountainous because weather can turn or you can snap an ankle and turn two hours into eight. first aid, emergency bivy, knife, lighter and matches, headlamp with extra batteries all fit easily in a quart ziploc, not a big deal

yeah seems like these are things that don’t take a lot of weight, can be packed conveniently, and are missed when you need them most.

idk just take them, don’t be a goober, just take them.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I have a backpack with supplies but one thing in it is a roll of toilet paper in a hard Tupperware container. I’ve never had to use it personally but I’ve been on more than one hike where somebody else was happy I thought ahead

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Never go anywhere without the travel bidet.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Last year someone got lost hiking not far off the road in the stevens pass area or snoqualmie area and for quite a few days and people seemed so shocked that it was possible to be as close to the road as they were and still lost and im like I can completely see how. That whole elk trail incident I had I only resolved because I already knew the exact terrain i was in and ended up hiking down to a road because I already KNEW exactly where the road was and its proximity to the mountain side I was on. It was still extremely difficult and I had to rear end scoot down a lot of really precarious lovely areas, lost my phone as well during the whole ordeal. I couldnt see the road until I was almost right on it then I still had to walk back up the fuckin road to the car and was dead exhausted.

I know the area really well because I snowboard there every season and holy poo poo is the terrain different in the summer. I felt like a loving moron and now I absolutely will never under estimate how fast the mountains can gently caress you.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Last year someone got lost hiking not far off the road in the stevens pass area or snoqualmie area and for quite a few days and people seemed so shocked that it was possible to be as close to the road as they were and still lost and im like I can completely see how. That whole elk trail incident I had I only resolved because I already knew the exact terrain i was in and ended up hiking down to a road because I already KNEW exactly where the road was and its proximity to the mountain side I was on. It was still extremely difficult and I had to rear end scoot down a lot of really precarious lovely areas, lost my phone as well during the whole ordeal. I couldnt see the road until I was almost right on it then I still had to walk back up the fuckin road to the car and was dead exhausted.

I know the area really well because I snowboard there every season and holy poo poo is the terrain different in the summer. I felt like a loving moron and now I absolutely will never under estimate how fast the mountains can gently caress you.

A lot of people also forget that unless you’re somewhere real remote it’s almost always better to wait to be found then to try bushwhacking, especially if it’s getting dark or the weather is bad. Just find shelter! Trying to get unlost at night is a very bad idea usually

Every once and a while I think back to Edward Abby giving advice on what to do if you find yourself lost in the desert and you run out of water. I can’t find it online but the gist was to just find some place shady and scrawl your last will and testament in the sand for the wind to scatter because you’re gonna die

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Stereotype posted:

tourists in hawaii die hiking all the time too. like they don't understand that the 2ft wide ridge with thousand foot drops on either side is dangerous or something. all those trees growing out the side of the cliff and far below them seem soft i guess, also it's too beautiful to be dangerous. hawaii is an exceptionally dangerous place but everyone thinks it's all coconuts and mai tais and exotic women shaking their hips in grass skirts with flowers in their hair.

lots of helicopter crashes too, at least one a year if not more

One afternoon I rescued like 6 tourists that got caught in the strong riptide that happens when the waves are only moderate at Nipili Beach on Maui. While paddling one woman on her float mat back to shore she just started in on her husband, "look at him, just lying there, has no idea I was nearly sucked out to sea! Probably wouldn't even care if I drown!" She made a beeline right to him as soon as she was able to touch bottom, and they left shortly after. It was p funny

Never turn your back on the ocean

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019

Jose?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Yeah I just moved to the mountains and I've noticed like 3 or 4 deaths just barely.mentioned in the news of people who "just fell"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

The state park was adirondack park though...

Just kidding I know what you mean. There's a bunch you could probably get lost in tbh

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

same plus bear spray and, now, my inReach Mini. We were nearly head on struck by a Harley driver, who wound up ditching and needed helicopter evac, in the mountains last summer and now that thing goes with me even on car trips.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NOAA composite aerial imagery of the greater Fort Myers region

https://twitter.com/noaaocean/status/1576297663602884608

e: https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#9/26.4743/-81.8646
that's the working url, since they apparently hosed up the tweet

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.

This is giving me some strange vibes. Like, I would GTFO and not wait for the rated PSI per sq foot for that glass to fail and possibly gently caress my poo poo up. But, on the other hand, cool aquarium windows?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That seems like a lot of water pressure. I'm impressed those windows are holding.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

If you're cold, they're cold. Let them in

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

The state park was adirondack park though...

Just kidding I know what you mean. There's a bunch you could probably get lost in tbh

Big Bend State Park. He had to leave her when she couldn't go on after like 3 days and by a miracle he managed to find their truck and get help out to her in time.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

OK baizuo posted:

NOAA composite aerial imagery of the greater Fort Myers region

https://twitter.com/noaaocean/status/1576297663602884608

e: https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#9/26.4743/-81.8646
that's the working url, since they apparently hosed up the tweet

it really is amazing how many houses there are that have pools with little roofs and buildings over them. thousands and thousands

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i am harry posted:

it really is amazing how many houses there are that have pools with little roofs and buildings over them. thousands and thousands

in florida if you dont have a screened in pool you cant use the pool without getting dengue fever or having a gator move in

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

also florida has laws about pool safety and the screen counts as a fence even if the toddler can just step out of the kitchen and drown cause the pool enclosure is attached to the house

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
lanai loving rule. i wish they were a bigger thing outside of florida

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

lanai loving rule. i wish they were a bigger thing outside of florida

Hawaiians could learn a thing or two from Florida, eh?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I was a dumbass last Saturday while hiking on a mountain with no cell reception - decided to go for the peak without noticing that the people in my group behind me had turned back. I have no experience climbing down scree, so I immediately crushed my foot in a rockslide once I started going down. At least the first aid kit let me put bandages on my hands, but it can't do anything for bruises. Twenty people had to wait ninety minutes wondering if I'd died while our experienced climber brought me a walking stick to help me get down.

This was a pretty safe mountain, too. I was never in any life-threatening danger, but I hadn't considered that if I fell off the trail and got hurt I had no way of communicating that to my group, and that's exactly what happened.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

That seems like a lot of water pressure. I'm impressed those windows are holding.

It’s probably like 2 psi

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Folks, why the hell is it forecast to be 22 and no rain for like two weeks straight in BC in October?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Folks, why the hell is it forecast to be 22 and no rain for like two weeks straight in BC in October?

Modeling crisis

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

err posted:

Is there any active count of deaths/missing? The sheriff said hundreds dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKie-vgUGdI&t=3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007