Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, “boomer shooter” is just a way to distinguish Doom-like shooters from the clearly less Doom-like shooters that came later. High player maneuverability and power, large numbers of relatively dumb and powerless enemies, less linear maps, a near-total lack of scripted events or in-game narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are any modern boomer shooters based around key card hunts in huge mazes. That's the poo poo I want.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Amid Evil makes the best use of its environments and complex layout as an actual feature of the game itself IMHO.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You can just make up a new definition for them if you don't like using 'Boomer Shooter'

Call them strafing shooters or something.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Ill call them, FPS, first person shooters. :cool:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm going back to murder simulators.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Different between God of War's Easy and Normal difficulties in NG+ is hilariously broken. Like not even bothered to playtest broken. Want to take 3-4x damage and fight enemies with at least 1000% more health? Go to Normal! Want to actually feel like the equipment you're paying 500k hacksilver to make and upgrade is worth it? Play on Easy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I played through GMGOW on NG+ and the only thing I found difficult were the last couple Valkyries. It was kind of OP actually with the talisman that lets you reset cooldowns. 4x runic attacks with invul frames is usually enough to instaclear a room.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Volte posted:

I don't know what "boomer shooter" really means other than a somewhat derogatory-sounding name for a level-based first person shooter, but Doom 2016 is definitely that at least. I'm struggling to think of any way that they are fundamentally different actually. Prodeus even throws some Doom Eternal elements in there with the double jump and dash. It feels like a combination of "Retro Doom 2016" and "What If Quake 3 had a single player campaign".

I don't think it is. Prodeus isn't exactly like old doom by any means but it's a streamlined version of the basic exploration concepts of running around a maze and finding keycards (prodeus is way less of a labyrinth though) and mostly just has groups of enemies that do little other than attack you head on. Doom 2016 has tiny bits of that but for the most part it's totally linear, locks you into rooms with groups of monsters that flank all over the place etc. It's not much like old Doom or "boomer shooters" that is largely just a term used to define modern games designed to feel like Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem etc. It's two pretty distinctly different things and Prodeus has way more in common with old Doom and Quake than new Doom.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also anyone who finishes Inscryption and skips the DLC is doing themselves a disservice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Also anyone who finishes Inscryption and skips the DLC is doing themselves a disservice.

Oh, is it cool? I thought it was just endless mode or whatev. I'll def hit it up if there's more going on.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think it is. Prodeus isn't exactly like old doom by any means but it's a streamlined version of the basic exploration concepts of running around a maze and finding keycards (prodeus is way less of a labyrinth though) and mostly just has groups of enemies that do little other than attack you head on. Doom 2016 has tiny bits of that but for the most part it's totally linear, locks you into rooms with groups of monsters that flank all over the place etc.
I'm just curious if you've played Prodeus to the end, because it fully ramps up into arena-based flanking encounters by the time you're in the Prodeus dimension (not exclusively but neither was Doom 2016). That fact combined with the absurdly over-tuned projectile tracking and infinite respawns is why I've fallen off of it a few levels from the end of the game.

I would agree that the first few levels are a lot more Doom-like, but later on that Doom influence really disappears IMO.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Getting rid of key searches was one of the best part of the modern incarnations of Wolfenstein and Doom so if Prodeus doesn’t have them either, good. I tried playing the Jedi Doom-likes and forgot how annoying the key searches are in those games. Tapped out after a couple hours.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Volte posted:

I'm just curious if you've played Prodeus to the end, because it fully ramps up into arena-based flanking encounters by the time you're in the Prodeus dimension (not exclusively but neither was Doom 2016). That fact combined with the absurdly over-tuned projectile tracking and infinite respawns is why I've fallen off of it a few levels from the end of the game.

I would agree that the first few levels are a lot more Doom-like, but later on that Doom influence really disappears IMO.

Yes I have played it twice. I played through it on PC last year and now I am playing it on Xbox.

I agree the respawn system is terrible (but in a way that really favors the player) I don't remember having problems with the projectile tracking. And yes you are right that the final level is like an arena thing and resembles Doom 2016 more closely. The last level really is a huge pain in the rear end.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

veni veni veni posted:

Yes I have played it twice. I played through it on PC last year and now I am playing it on Xbox.

I agree the respawn system is terrible (but in a way that really favors the player) I don't remember having problems with the projectile tracking.
The enemies (particularly the blue variant enemies) track you nearly perfectly which not only makes it really feel like you're playing against a computer but also means that if you're just running in a straight line, you're going to eat most of the projectiles that come at you. You can really notice it if you're fighting a couple of stationary imps in the distance - if you just strafe back and forth they will throw their projectiles so wide that it's almost comical, because they are calculating the trajectory based on your velocity at the moment they throw the fire ball. You can also jump up and down and get a similar effect. In a different kind of game, enemy projectile tracking might be fine and even a mark of good AI, but in a game like this, it just makes arena fights way too unpredictable to approach them head-on at high difficulties. The key to Doom Eternal on Nightmare (or original Doom on UV) is to never stop moving. The key to Prodeus on Ultra Hard seems to be to stop and start moving as much as possible.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When do we start getting gen X shooters

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Oh, is it cool? I thought it was just endless mode or whatev. I'll def hit it up if there's more going on.

Basically it's (don't worry about clicking this. no real spoilers. Just to be on the safe side for people who haven't played) :

You play through Leshy's Cabin with modifiers(that you choose) to make the game harder, once you beat him it unlocks more modifiers to make it even harder the next run, and so on. It does appear to have an end though. I'm not 100% but I think you can "beat" it. There are a bunch of new cards, new boons for lack of a better term (the card modifier spaces on the board) like ex. the jar of goo will try to paint one of your cards and make a crappier version of it lol. There's new Cabin puzzles and more story stuff that unlocks each time you beat him. It's way more challenging and less outright stacked in your favor than the main game so beating Leshy is much more satisfying imo. Overall it's lighter or story and more gameplay oriented though. It's good. if you liked the basic card game it fleshes it out into more of a real game and less of a vessel for the story.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

haveblue posted:

Konami announced one the other week

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i don't mind the boomer shooter term, it's mostly what people used to refer to as skill-based movement plus a focus on low res aesthetic. it may be a little bit on the derisive side, or at least betraying a very specific generational tension, but overall i think it's efficient and meant with love.

it's certainly a more elegant term than soulsborne or metroidvania, terms neither of which feel all that accurate or thoroughly considered

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 1, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Basically it's (don't worry about clicking this. no real spoilers. Just to be on the safe side for people who haven't played) :

You play through Leshy's Cabin with modifiers(that you choose) to make the game harder, once you beat him it unlocks more modifiers to make it even harder the next run, and so on. It does appear to have an end though. I'm not 100% but I think you can "beat" it. There are a bunch of new cards, new boons for lack of a better term (the card modifier spaces on the board) like ex. the jar of goo will try to paint one of your cards and make a crappier version of it lol. There's new Cabin puzzles and more story stuff that unlocks each time you beat him. It's way more challenging and less outright stacked in your favor than the main game so beating Leshy is much more satisfying imo. Overall it's lighter or story and more gameplay oriented though. It's good. if you liked the basic card game it fleshes it out into more of a real game and less of a vessel for the story.

hell yes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

:shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXH8SN8OZXo

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

haveblue posted:

we never stopped (because they keep remaking/re-releasing Goldeneye)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it's certainly a more elegant term than soulsborne or metroidvania, terms neither of which feel all that accurate or thoroughly considered

yeah you just call those games trash

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The worst part of calling the genre title "Soulsborne" or "Metroidvania" or even "roguelike" is that pedantic jackasses will insist you talk about Souls, Metroid, Castlevania or Rogue without using the genre name. Like, gently caress you, Rogue is a roguelike, you know what that means when I say that and I'm not going to invent a new genre called "rogue" with only one game in it to satisfy your weird anal-retentive need for absolute precision here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

The worst part of calling the genre title "Soulsborne" or "Metroidvania" or even "roguelike" is that pedantic jackasses will insist you talk about Souls, Metroid, Castlevania or Rogue without using the genre name. Like, gently caress you, Rogue is a roguelike, you know what that means when I say that and I'm not going to invent a new genre called "rogue" with only one game in it to satisfy your weird anal-retentive need for absolute precision here.

Yeah, English is already a dumb as hell language that doesn't follow its own rules 100% of the time. If I get what you're trying to express, I don't care if you make up a word that's not actually in any dictionaries to do it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Shrecknet posted:

we never stopped (because they keep remaking/re-releasing Goldeneye)

The only remake was that 360/ps3 one right? It does feel like it’s time for next-next gen remakes of Golden Eye and Perfect Dark on all platforms.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Three days without power.

Three days without PS5.

I crave videogames!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

Three days without PS5.

I crave videogames!
Oh poo poo, you got hit by Ian? I hope you're doing okay :love:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Goldeneye hasn't gotten an actual remake in the 25 years it has existed. There was that one completely different Bond game released by EA using the title GoldenEye in an attempt to cash in on the name, and the lackluster reimagining/reboot/whatever that came out for the Wii.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
“Character action game” remains the dumbest genre title because it’s so vague I thought it was referring to games like Mario or Sonic but it turns out they were talking about God of War or something

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

yeah you just call those games trash

how's life, cas?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Three days without PS5.

I crave videogames!

Hang in there Kilo. :love:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

if you think fan/press made genre names for video games are stupid, the world of music will explode your brain.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
this is what happens when goons talk too much about a game

https://twitter.com/a_kaiju/status/1576275306310049792

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

welp, Moral-Intern toppled the dream: Kurvitz, Rostov, and Hindpere ousted from ZA/UM

efb; :zpatriot:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

veni veni veni posted:

if you think fan/press made genre names for video games are stupid, the world of music will explode your brain.

There’s only one genre of music and you can find it all on this

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Character rap music

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Radio Free Genre

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Goldeneye hasn't gotten an actual remake in the 25 years it has existed. There was that one completely different Bond game released by EA using the title GoldenEye in an attempt to cash in on the name, and the lackluster reimagining/reboot/whatever that came out for the Wii.

The reimagining with daniel craig is the remake, rogue agent is the cashin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Arist posted:

Soulsborne refers to the Souls games + Bloodborne, it's not a genre. :colbert: