Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Oxxidation posted:

i was pooh-poohing FF7R every step of the way so i've been eating a lot of crow between that and TWEWY NEO

i just hated kingdom hearts 3 so much

All three of those games owned.

Sorry haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m suprised you hated hearts 3 it was such a bland game

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If anyone is interested, Falconier111 is doing an LP of Final Fantasy Dimensions 2. You know, the Japanese Mobile Gacha game that got localized, had the gacha removed, and was sold as a single-player game?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My only FF7R complaint so far: having to hold down the interact button. Just push it and go gosh.

I do like how the English VA absolutely nails the personality of the characters.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Finished FFVIIR up through Chapter 11: I'm impressed with how they take relatively minor or small portions of the game, like the Train Graveyard, and make them into a big thing that's actually cool and interesting

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

It was and still is pretty popular to doomsay about anything Square Enix makes, especially a new AAA Final Fantasy project, but man, FF7R is real good.

Same with Stranger of Paradise. That batshit insane game has no business being as good as it was and the endgame stretch and finale are just so wild. Really hope after the dlc wraps up that they announce another totally-not-Dissidia game like it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
SE has been chasing the white rabbit of "FF game with good action combat" for so long that its hard to believe they've actually caught it.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mustached Demon posted:

My only FF7R complaint so far: having to hold down the interact button. Just push it and go gosh.

Yeah I don't understand why some things you just press triangle but some other things you have to hold triangle.

Making me hold it doesn't make it feel more immersive or realistic, it's just dumb. No idea why it's a thing. Incredibly minor but it does irritate me a little.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

One thing that annoyed me about FF7R, and it’s a small thing, but lots of random objects having physics and collision. Was loving hilarious when characters are talking about serious stuff and Tifa sends a traffic cone flying just by touching it and then you hear it go CA-CHUNK as it ricochets off the adjacent wall or whatever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Harrow posted:

It's fun to read the early pages of the FF7R thread where the majority of the thread's mood is "this is going to be a trainwreck and I can't wait"

My favorite bit was the whole "It only lasts until you leave Midgard, thats only 5 hours of gameplay!", with "5 hours" steadily being reduced over time until it was 2 hours.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think being worried about FFVIIR being total poo poo was 100% justified given the dev time, the hype, the preceding FFVI-related content, etc..

Square lost a lot of good will for like a solid decade there. I'd say it's comparable to how this forum did a sharp atoutface on Lightning Returns before it came out and after it came out.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Really didn’t help that CyberConnect2 was involved with the development and then suddenly dropped in favor of bringing all development in-house. Like it’s hard not to look at the prolonged development of that game and not expect it to be terrible. And then, well, it wasn’t

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Leal posted:

My favorite bit was the whole "It only lasts until you leave Midgard, thats only 5 hours of gameplay!", with "5 hours" steadily being reduced over time until it was 2 hours.

“B-b-b-b-but it’s not a whole game!! How can SE charge $60 for an incomplete game!!”

Sometimes I think people were being willfully dense.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

OneMoreTime posted:

Really didn’t help that CyberConnect2 was involved with the development and then suddenly dropped in favor of bringing all development in-house. Like it’s hard not to look at the prolonged development of that game and not expect it to be terrible. And then, well, it wasn’t

Honestly, CyberConnect 2 getting dropped to go with an in-house Square Enix team was a positive sign. I love a lot of their games but they definitely ain't the team i'd think to go to for doing a remake of one of the best RPGs of all time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
CyberConnect2 was the only developer they could've handed the remake to where I actually would've had hope unseen that they could pull it off. The problem with making an singular ongoing RPG story across multiple games is maintaining a singular cohesive direction and group of developers across it; you gently caress that up, you end up with something like the FFXIII trilogy where every game is different form the one before it because people kept quitting. CC2 is the only developer that has done this successfully, and they did it twice, admittedly a while ago. Without them, I couldn't have hope the project would remain consistent. Hell, I still don't, I fully expect the finale to find a way to poo poo the bed.

The remake itself got me to the level of 'I wish you didn't do this, but you're doing the best you possibly could with it'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 2, 2022

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

poo poo, just beat V:PR and forgot to take a screenshot of melting NEO EXDEATH. Honestly didn’t have much time to think about it before it was dead. I’ve completed the pixel remasters of I, III, and V now. The final bosses seemed to get progressively easier to beat in each game and I don’t think it’s all just down to overleveling. Chaos really felt like a pretty big jump in difficulty from the rest of the enemies in the final dungeon, but Exdeath seemed like a pushover compared to the random battles on the final floor of the dungeon before you get to it.

Anyway, I guess I’ll try Omega and Shinryu sometime. They both one-shotted my entire mid-40s party almost instantly. But I missed Catoblepas in World 2 and it doesn’t appear to be recruitable anywhere in the final dungeon. Maybe that was just a GBA thing.

Also, does anyone know what’s up with the interactive bestiary & AR battle mode in this version? Whenever I go into a fight I always seem to just have Dragoon Butz and Beastmaster Krile. It it always preset to those two characters and jobs, or is it there some way to change them?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

poo poo, just beat V:PR and forgot to take a screenshot of melting NEO EXDEATH. Honestly didn’t have much time to think about it before it was dead. I’ve completed the pixel remasters of I, III, and V now. The final bosses seemed to get progressively easier to beat in each game and I don’t think it’s all just down to overleveling. Chaos really felt like a pretty big jump in difficulty from the rest of the enemies in the final dungeon, but Exdeath seemed like a pushover compared to the random battles on the final floor of the dungeon before you get to it.

Chaos in particular is a weird balance outlier.

Basically, to begin with, FF1 in particular is a weird balancing outlier--it dates from the days when tabletop RPGs were pretty much all there was to look at and compare to, and further (and through that!) that the expected RPG player, TT/C/J/whatever, was a wargamer who wanted to delve into something with unit sizes reduced to individuals. The assumed motivation was someone who wanted to run a scenario, and possibly keep rerunning it, until they got out with minimal resource use and maximal gains, the kind of person who might relish bringing out Axis & Allies every time the club met until they succeeded in driving straight to Berlin in December of '44 with only the forces available for Market Garden.

This theory did not really survive contact with the reality that, sans a competitive element, either "I made poo poo blow up real good" or "huh an interactive fantasy serial" were far more popular, and sans a referee nothing was stopping people from simply walking in circles merking Imps until either things a) blew up real good, look at that 9999 or b) blew up good enough to no longer get in the way of the next plot beat. But on the other hand, as much as people didn't like playing FF1 how they were expected to play it, they did expect FF1 to play kind of how they remembered it. And conversely, FF1 played nothing like it was supposed to; two entire classes' primary stats being bugged to irrelevance was just the start.

And so, with 1 considered unsalvageable, it was... not even "rebalanced" for the GBA version, which would have pissed off the nostalgia base, but instead heavily added on to. FF1 itself became essentially the tutorial mission in a boss rush game; character growth was nearly doubled (specifically, level growth equaling HP/MP growth was doubled and all other stats got guaranteed growth added onto rather than replacing a somewhat slowed random growth, while the exponential scaler job was nerfbatted because it would have become TOO obvious) while enemy stats remained almost identical: if you wanted big numbers or no obstacles to plot you got them and peaced at the end, if you wanted strategy gameplay, well, no one wanted risky missions with RNG rewards, so instead you got a star-studded cast of superbosses. And Chaos, uniquely, was the bridge between the old content and the superboss rush, with 10x his original HP and freed from the original's fixed AI script, the better to make people drag themselves into readiness for the postgame.
And uniquely, while 1 probably could have been salvaged with the full rebalance it got for PR, it was based on GBA. Even though there are no superbosses, Chaos had his babby's first superboss stats passed down intact.

Original Chaos was a chump who was threatening because grind was abject pain with NES QoL and ca. 1990 information availability; it would be hard to not oneshot him with an original-rules Monk at GBA levels, or one-turn him with a completely normal GBA party. His threat revolved around going at him at a recommended-for-beginners level 27 because that was all you could stand, after having been worn down by a grody final dungeon, and as we've already established the key point for the changes was "no one actually likes bullshit dungeons and they're gonna grind anyway." He'd gotten a 2x HP bump in the final original-rules port just to be somewhat threatening now that people knew which buffs worked and which only played the associated animation.

(2 final boss is absolutely just a matter of picking your favorite flavor of cheese, and while 2 is heavily rejiggered it's all new rejiggering. 3 actively ignores the bad previous rebalance, fortunately, and in any version is WoW Classic dungeon-tier "you must have an AoE healer coming in with full mana to ride this ride" puzzle bossery. Zeromus is probably the first final boss in the series that's mechanically interesting, though he's also very easy in 4PR because while 4PR parties mechanically similar in-combat to a same-level original party, it borrows the double growth thing so the story can play out. So NED is probably the hardest in PR, and 5PR rules are definitely very similar to the original, but NED was also always "did you come with a way to have over 1300 HP and instakill the enrage."

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 2, 2022

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Always interesting remembering dq3 came out a few months after FF1. They do share some similarities but dq3 had a lot more polish.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah. FF1 was kind of a narrative/spectacle answer to the questions DQ1/2 asked, and DQ3 found many of the same answers, but on the broad design level FF1 was a "what if instead..." replacement of details that raised many of the same questions while DQ3 was an answer.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FFXII Report:

I'm pretty sure after thinking on what I wanted to combine Black Mage Balthier with that Mages don't get Swiftness in SFF's rebalance of the License Board, with the exception of Time Mages who get a couple. One reason I liked my Uhlan/Shikari idea was for all the Swiftness tiles I got Ashe. I think she has the most of anybody in my party at 4 or so. Balthier only got a couple because I combined him with Bushi. I kinda regret not giving WM Basch a Job to make him cast his healing faster. But we shall see if I'm worrying over nothing.

I love the Serpent Rod. Those Level 39 Bombs in Barheim were a bit much but bonk the frogs and you're good to go. Same for the turtles in Rains Giza - Stop, Poison, Fira. Strategery. Status effects in general are really good in this. although you gotta watch your rear end since they will wreck you just as hard as they wreck enemies. Early on it felt like drat near everything put Sap on you but that hasn't happened in a good long while so I'm glad that wasn't a gimmick the creator added.

I hate how bosses and Hunts don't tell you what they are weak to but to make up for this, the AI knows. I had a Gambit to attack Fire-weak enemies and Balthier started laying into the Ring Wyrm and I was like "it's weak to Fire...? Okay, whatever." So very useful to have Gambits set up for that to cover as wide a spectrum as possible. Making proper use of Gambits is something I've really tried to do in this and it's a lifesaver/time-saver, even if I've still got a lot to learn. There are so many super precise Gambits that I feel like "this could be vital at some future time but I can't really see how a the moment."

My strategy of Poaching everything has worked out great, only 1 new Level after the Ozmone Plain and other grinding. Problem is I'm quickly running out of LP. Hopefully I can resume killing enemies again soon as I'll be the right level. The wolves on the northern Estersand were 26.

One thing about this mod is that he's removed basically every chest in the game so if you ever see one, you know it's something good. I don't know if these were added by him but for example I found Poison very early on in the Estersand and it has saved my life, even though I never had the chance to buy it from a spell shop. I bring this up now because Larsa in this is a machine. Bubble, Bravery & Faith + Stamp and my own Protect/Shell/Haste and throwing Slow and Poison on enemies means I can explore way above my level. I went a bit deeper into Barheim Passage and got Toxify - Sap/Disease on an enemy to keep them from healing. Very nice. Hopefully it works on Hunts. I know the big Y is a Hunt too but I got a lot lesser ones before him so I would hope it works on them. I've already encountered a couple who use Restore and even one who used Renew. It was a bit like Gabranth using it in original XII - oh no, I beat him in 5 seconds but now it'll take 10 seconds - but I assume some actual hard minibosses might use it so I'll be ready.

There's no damage or HP cap, is there? I seem to recall hearing the reason Yiazmat took hours is because you could not hit for more than 9999.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 2, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

NikkolasKing posted:

There's no damage or HP cap, is there? I seem to recall hearing the reason Yiazmat took hours is because you could not hit for more than 9999.

There was in the original release, but TZA uncaps damage to 99999.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

In the middle of Chapter 5 now in FFVIIR. Great fun! That said something happened that worried me: I was in the middle of fighting the queen monster you find in the train tunnels, when suddenly graphics started freaking out depending on the camera angle; sometimes all was fine and others every model started freaking out until I changed the camera to another angle, like them blowing up in vectors, you know.

I really hope it's just the shoddy job of the PC port and not a sign of something wrong going in my computer.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Huh, the only reason I seem to have the characters that I do for the AR battler in V PR is that my 14th save file has those characters. It’s during a stretch of the game where the only PCs are Butz and Krile. Weird, I wonder what it does if you don’t have 14 save files.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Kheldarn posted:

If anyone is interested, Falconier111 is doing an LP of Final Fantasy Dimensions 2. You know, the Japanese Mobile Gacha game that got localized, had the gacha removed, and was sold as a single-player game?

I wish they'd do that with Record Keeper.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

BisbyWorl posted:

There was in the original release, but TZA uncaps damage to 99999.

This is also why black magic is so much better in the Zodiac versions than it was in the original. In the original, you could only ever hit for a maximum of 9999, and once you got there, the way you did more damage was doing 9999 damage more quickly. With spells, there was no way to accomplish that, especially with the PS2 versions' spell capacity system that limited how many big, flashy spell effects could be happening at the same time. Meanwhile, melee attackers could combo, and at endgame could deal 9999 (or close to it) with each hit of a 6 to 8-hit combo every time they got an action.

IZJS raised the damage cap, instantly making black magic more viable in the late-game, and then Zodiac Age got rid of the effect capacity limit, making magic even better. It still loses out to melee on raw single-target DPS but not by nearly as much as before (and SFF nerfs endgame melee a small amount by making it harder for melee jobs to boost damage from elemental weapons). Now, for example, a Red Mage casting equipment-boosted Darkga spells can actually contribute while you're fighting Yiazmat.

NikkolasKing posted:

One thing about this mod is that he's removed basically every chest in the game so if you ever see one, you know it's something good.

Huh, this is interesting. I knew a few things about Proud Mode but I didn't know it changed chests that dramatically. In regular SFF, chests work basically the same way as in base Zodiac Age. They don't always contain the same things but there are still similar numbers of random and guaranteed chests around.

I haven't tried Proud Mode (mostly because regular SFF is about where I wanted the difficulty to be already) but it's interesting the ways it takes even more departures from how FFXII normally works.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FFVIIR Chapter 12 done. I question why there's even a built-in feature to drop the plate. "gently caress poor people if something goes wrong" sure, but all the rich people live on the plate. I guess they're not rich enough and all the mega-rich live in the center?

EDIT: Originally wrote FFXVII, I am from the future

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bell_ posted:

I wish they'd do that with Record Keeper.

Same same same SAME

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Harrow posted:

This is also why black magic is so much better in the Zodiac versions than it was in the original. In the original, you could only ever hit for a maximum of 9999, and once you got there, the way you did more damage was doing 9999 damage more quickly. With spells, there was no way to accomplish that, especially with the PS2 versions' spell capacity system that limited how many big, flashy spell effects could be happening at the same time. Meanwhile, melee attackers could combo, and at endgame could deal 9999 (or close to it) with each hit of a 6 to 8-hit combo every time they got an action.

IZJS raised the damage cap, instantly making black magic more viable in the late-game, and then Zodiac Age got rid of the effect capacity limit, making magic even better. It still loses out to melee on raw single-target DPS but not by nearly as much as before (and SFF nerfs endgame melee a small amount by making it harder for melee jobs to boost damage from elemental weapons). Now, for example, a Red Mage casting equipment-boosted Darkga spells can actually contribute while you're fighting Yiazmat.

Huh, this is interesting. I knew a few things about Proud Mode but I didn't know it changed chests that dramatically. In regular SFF, chests work basically the same way as in base Zodiac Age. They don't always contain the same things but there are still similar numbers of random and guaranteed chests around.

I haven't tried Proud Mode (mostly because regular SFF is about where I wanted the difficulty to be already) but it's interesting the ways it takes even more departures from how FFXII normally works.

Could you explain a bit more what you meant by the effects of black magic being limited in the original?

Also I was trying to figure out which Grimoirs to get but I wasn't sure what enemy qualified as what. Undead are obvious but I didn't know about, say, Fiends. I decided to finally look at the Clan Primer and it's kind enough to tell me exactly what Grimoire to get as well as what loot the enemies have. Now, some of this is changed in the mod, but it's still mostly correct from what I can see and thus very helpful.

A thing I read is that some Grimoires sucked because they increased your chance of getting Pebbles which are worthless. I've only gotten Undead and Giants/Insects so far and while I still have Pebbles from various places, I think Loot has been fixed to not be so stupid.

Also under the Rare Game category, it says "[#] out of [#]" beside the monster's name. What does this mean?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 2, 2022

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mustached Demon posted:

Always interesting remembering dq3 came out a few months after FF1. They do share some similarities but dq3 had a lot more polish.

I wonder what DQ3's launch would've been like if the internet was a widely used thing back then. Probably an absolute shitload of Zoma-related spoilers posted within the first day of launch.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NikkolasKing posted:

Could you explain a bit more what you meant by the effects of black magic being limited in the original?
the wiki has numbers:

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Effect_Capacity

quote:

In the PlayStation 2 versions, if the total effect index exceeds the maximum capacity of 8, the action charged last can only be executed when the earliest action ends. This is likely due to the hardware limitation of the PlayStation 2 being unable to handle too much graphical processing.

The effect index for most tier 1 magick spells is 1, tier 2 (-ra) 2, tier 3 (-ga) 4 and the strongest spells 8, meaning the most advanced magick can only be executed when no other special actions are taking place. Some animations, such as Darkga and Graviga, may look simple, but have higher effect indices than other -ga magick spells.
edit: huh, TZA just raised it to 24, so you can technically lock something out with three simultaneously Scathe casts, that's crazy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah the link above from DACK FAYDEN explains it well. Basically spells are ranked by how visually flashy they are and if enough flashy effects would be on screen at once, characters are forced to just stand there waiting for their spell to have "room" to be cast. It was a way to prevent huge slowdowns on the PS2 because of too many particle effects at once.

If you played the original and sometimes saw a character have a spell fully charged but just sit there waiting their turn, that's because of effect capacity.

I had no idea it still existed in TZA, though, that's hilarious. Kinda want to test it out now.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

FrostyPox posted:

FFVIIR Chapter 12 done. I question why there's even a built-in feature to drop the plate. "gently caress poor people if something goes wrong" sure, but all the rich people live on the plate. I guess they're not rich enough and all the mega-rich live in the center?

EDIT: Originally wrote FFXVII, I am from the future

It’s all part of the plan. In the original President Shinra believes that the Promised Land will be so plentiful that the reactors will be unneeded, Neo-Midgar can run entirely off of “ambient mako.” But the active reactors ARE killing the planet, which will eventually affect them.

So once they’re safe and secure in their new paradise, those left behind in Old Midgar and the rest of the world will self-destruct, and the plates fall, leaving nothing and no one to threaten Shinra’s supremacy.

I admit this is conjecture based on a few lines, cults, and personal experience with rich narcissists, but nothing disproves it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wonder what DQ3's launch would've been like if the internet was a widely used thing back then. Probably an absolute shitload of Zoma-related spoilers posted within the first day of launch.

Lots of complaining that Erdrick is, canonically, a woman.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, I'm starting to get worried. Just begun Chapter 6 and now, when I put the camera on this angle, suddenly everything on the distance disappears (there's meant to be a gate and party members and a bunch of stuff in front of Cloud). If I change it everything loads back again:

Please tell me the PC port sucks balls and it's not a sign of graphic/hard drive problems.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Okay, I'm starting to get worried. Just begun Chapter 6 and now, when I put the camera on this angle, suddenly everything on the distance disappears (there's meant to be a gate and party members and a bunch of stuff in front of Cloud). If I change it everything loads back again:

Please tell me the PC port sucks balls and it's not a sign of graphic/hard drive problems.

definitely on your end

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I think it's your PC, saw zero issues when I did it yesterday. Steam version fwiw.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay, so your posts made me think of veryfying the game files on Steam and somehow it had a problem and downloaded 5GB, and now it seems fixed. So thanks? And I apologize for the bad posting, I've been on edge with my PC since some problems snuck up. Remake is great and it might top X for my favourite FF... at least if boss fights stopped cleansing stagger on phase changes WHEN THE GAME WANTS ME TO STAGGER THROUGH AN SPECIFIC METHOD :argh:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Alright I'm 100% in on 7R being Top 3 FF games for me.

Chapter 8: Rude fight when you break his glasses and he pulls out a new pair had me in stitches.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FF Type-0's world map really gives me FF8 vibes. I think it's the color scheme and the slightly off camera angle. Also, is this the last FF that's not a re-release to have a separate world map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mustached Demon posted:

Alright I'm 100% in on 7R being Top 3 FF games for me.

Chapter 8: Rude fight when you break his glasses and he pulls out a new pair had me in stitches.

FF7R is one of the best 3 FF games. It, however, is not a mainline final fantasy game.