Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I feel like card survival 's rate of macaque raids are way too overtuned. Having to deal with 4 separate raids in one day on day 5 of a run feels really stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Umbreon posted:

I feel like card survival 's rate of macaque raids are way too overtuned. Having to deal with 4 separate raids in one day on day 5 of a run feels really stupid.

It feels like the rate increases as they're able to steal stuff so just stuff everything of value in chests/baskets until your spear skill is ~20 then just stab them all for their delicious meat and skin them for boots.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm really having a blast with a friend working through Grounded. After playing Conan Exiles for a bit it's so nice to play something with a good blueprinting system that doesn't require you to have the materials on hand to map out an entire building. The graphics and lighting are extremely nice too; there's something about the way the light bounces off stuff in this game that is just really nice to look at. Crafting is great too because when using the bench it does the thing I wish all these games did and pulls from local chest storage when looking for materials. They've really made a back yard feel like a huge open world with tons of stuff to see and it's just been really nice to play. I'm also not quite sure how it works but the shared server option with myself and my friend is very cool too. Basically dedicated server functionality without having to pay for/set up a dedicated server.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a friend who played grounded about a year, or more, ago, and when I suggested to my survival games group that we try it, he was pretty negative on it. Has it changed a ton within a year?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

redreader posted:

I've got a friend who played grounded about a year, or more, ago, and when I suggested to my survival games group that we try it, he was pretty negative on it. Has it changed a ton within a year?

Most of the improvements have been later game so if he hated it a year ago then he'll probably hate it now

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Maybe I'm misremembering how polished this game already felt when it first hit EA but I wasn't blown away by it when I played the first couple hours way back on the first available build. It just feels like a high budget survival game with a lot of nice features that make things like sharing loot, crafting, building with friends, world availability, etc. easier. I might be a simpleton but the overgrown garden aesthetic is pulled off really well here and exploring nooks and crannies in a yard to find giant fuckoff spiders or secret sprawling laboratories doesn't get old for me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I played very early into the test and while the overall structure hasn't changed much, there's so many quality of life features and appealing concepts and systems it's hard to turn down.
Then again when I played, walls were only solid while you were looking at them and enemies would march through as soon as you turned around, so it was a low bar for improvements.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The spiders are spot on for me. They make me jump every time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
[Card Survival] Woah NELLY the island starts getting spicy if you let your mental structure slip :shepface:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Danaru posted:

[Card Survival] Woah NELLY the island starts getting spicy if you let your mental structure slip :shepface:

My last character died while trying to stave off stress-induced depression by tripping out on shrooms and playing the drums which led to a level of insanity I didn't know was possible. They eventually died while trying to escape The Hunter by diving into the bay, getting attacked by a shark, stabbing it to death, then succumbing.

Euphoria is also quite a ride.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 1, 2022

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Rynoto posted:

My last character died while trying to stave off stress-induced depression by tripping out on shrooms and playing the drums which led to a level of insanity I didn't know was possible. They eventually died while trying to escape The Hunter by diving into the bay, getting attacked by a shark, stabbing it to death, then succumbing.

Euphoria is also quite a ride.

average day in Florida

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't tell if the onboarding in grounded sucks or if I'm just ignoring the main quest and locking myself out of upgrades. Because it sure seems like I can gently caress around for a half hour making a house and then realize there's no goddamn roof parts unlocked.

And now I've managed to bring an Orb Weaver into The Oak Lab. Nope, not having a good time.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 2, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack B Nimble posted:

I can't tell if the onboarding in grounded sucks or if I'm just ignoring the main quest and locking myself out of upgrades. Because it sure seems like I can gently caress around for a half hour making a house and then realize there's no goddamn roof parts unlocked.

And now I've managed to bring an Orb Weaver into The Oak Lab. Nope, not having a good time.

Make sure you're constantly bringing anything new you find to the nearest research lab to get the science points for it, that not only gets you science points for upgrades but unlocks blueprints as well. My friend and I also noticed we had no roof right away but the standard walls are tall enough to keep most of the riffraff out (unless a spider walks by and aggros in which case just run). The first couple nights we were also in "Are we doing something wrong?" mode but really the most important thing to do is keep finding new things to put in the research lab. That will lead to more unlocks which lets you upgrade gear and make food/smoothies and make your life easier.

A bunch of stream of consciousness tips after just wrapping up a 3 hour session...

-items in your inventory you haven't researched yet have a blue ! in the top corner. Make sure you're always taking new things you find there, when you kill a new creature for the first time you'll have a few new things to research which will usually lead to at least one new blueprint. You'll soon be tracking your progress by what new pickups you get because it means new stuff and ratcheting up of gear & tools usually.
-Blocking is really important in this game. You can block with any weapon and it'll drain stamina (and maybe some health?) but you can time it and do a parry that only takes some stamina. Before you're comfortable blocking, there's a shield you can make early on by killing the Weevils that I highly recommend. Practice parrying on the wood mites or ants.
-There is a rock/paper/scissors style weakness and resistance system, and certain things might be weak to the weapon type you're using. Spot every new creature you find by clicking on them when looking with the "binoculars" (x on the keyboard, Y on xbox I think?) and in the menu under the data section you can view strengths/weaknesses and weak points for every creature you've spotted. This isn't super important early on but once you start having to fight spiders and stink bugs and bombardiers you'll want to know it because gently caress those things.
-You unlock "mutations" as you play, these are basically perks that you can equip that are unlocked from doing things like a perk that lets you chop down grass faster that you get after chopping down so much grass. You can unlock one at the research station for 3k that just gives you a flat health boost and is definitely worth getting.
-You will feel weak as gently caress starting out, I'm just now breaking into Tier 2 armor and am starting to feel slightly less squishy but a ladybug can gently caress my day up in 2-3 hits if I'm not on point with the blocking. For us we feel like we've gotten better by learning enemy patterns and getting better about blocking. Run if you're outmatched, weave in and out of the grass to try and trip them up. It is a really punishing game though, so imo focus on just trying to progress by getting research done until you feel comfortable enough to start exploring further out.
-Craft the bow when you can, it's great for pulling aggro if you are trying to fight just one thing. You can also cheese a lot of fights with the bow by standing in unreachable positions while plinking away with the arrow. It's cheap but cheese when you can!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm loving Grounded a lot but it's really hard to tell when and where your avenue forward is, especially in regards to fighting enemies. I often find myself asking "am I supposed to be able to kill this thing yet?" I don't know when I realized I could take down an orb weaver but I really didn't think I was ready. Another time I needed ladybug parts but they were so powerful I thought, there's no way they expect me to take this down yet. But apparently they do! I was told to use my pebblet hammer on ladybugs because they're weak to busting damage, but... it's both slow and does virtually no damage at all. Whatever the bonus is, it's not enough to really seem substantial. Is this really what you're supposed to do? Currently I need stinkbug and bombardier parts to move forward with my tech but stinkbugs are basically impossible to fight and bombardier beetles are really hard.
On top of all of that bandages heal very, very slowly and are only really useful for downtime between fights.

I'm sure if I were more familiar with the game I'd have a better grasp on when x enemy is killable or y resource is obtainable, but the gap between Tier 1 and Tier 2 gear has felt very wide.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

stinkbugs are weird because the best tool to kill stinkbugs requires that you already killed a stinkbug, otherwise the poison kills super super quick. i managed by finding looting ones that wandered into the haze and killed themselves, not sure how you're supposed to do it. bombadiers were easier, they telegraph super hard so once you see their moveset it's easy to tell if you should be blocking their hit, strafing their shot, or moving away from them while they shoot poison loads all over themself

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I do have a pretty hard time reading the telegraphs of most bugs, they seem to just be "it hisses and then rears up" for every single attack and I have trouble distinguishing them. I'm getting there though!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Vib Rib posted:

I do have a pretty hard time reading the telegraphs of most bugs, they seem to just be "it hisses and then rears up" for every single attack and I have trouble distinguishing them. I'm getting there though!

Yeah it's hard and I'm definitely not there either, I was just saying this earlier as well. There's a mutation you get after doing successful perfect blocks that increases the window for getting one and that's helped a bit. Edit: I'm wrong about this, Parry Master only refunds stamina on perfect blocks and doesn't actually make it a wider window. Huh.

Also I found out yesterday that all those spider egg sacs that I was trying so hard not to break open do have a chance contain stinkbug parts and bombardier parts in addition to a couple spiderlings. Since you need stinkbug parts to make the gas mask you could always go this route if you're cool with fighting a few spiderlings. We killed our first stinkbug mostly by cheesing it with arrows while standing above it on grass; the gas cloud can only go so high and also those things do get stuck on the geometry quite a lot.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 2, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamnit double post

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Last two runs of card survival ended around day 70 because I managed to get bit by another god drat komodo around day 63, then spent the next week turning all the water on the island into sweat and poo poo :cripes: I'm on day 30 now and I swear I WILL have a well and this mud hut built by the end of the wet season.

Why are shovels so hard to invent god dammit

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

Last two runs of card survival ended around day 70 because I managed to get bit by another god drat komodo around day 63, then spent the next week turning all the water on the island into sweat and poo poo :cripes: I'm on day 30 now and I swear I WILL have a well and this mud hut built by the end of the wet season.

Why are shovels so hard to invent god dammit

A cistern and a well are both pretty essential, yeah. A big 'optimization' if you will is also investing heavily into farming early so you have a constant supply of high quality food without trekking around the island. This then snowballs into more time to build paths everywhere to save even more time for more farms and access to resources.

You can also have a mud hut up by day 10 if you start near the jungle. A kiln for coolers and a few jugs a day or two later which sets you up to stockpile food/water then the Flint Hunt for knapping to be able to make planks for the table and chairs crafting boost. Can have it all done by day 20-30. Get a drum somewhere in the middle for entertainment and you can basically do whatever during the rainy season.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 2, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How do you unlock paths?

Rynoto posted:

You can also have a mud hut up by day 10 if you start near the jungle.
How on earth? I started at the bay, ignored most of my needs beside sleep and survival rationing of food and water, and barely had the shed up by then. I feel like I beelined the hut and it took weeks. The sheer amount of cordage, mud bricks, and toolmaking just to get to that point doesn't seem feasible in that timeframe.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there a better place to look for flint and flint slabs than the rocks past the beach? I swear I've wasted entire days just trying to make a drat spear, much less an axe worth a poo poo

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

How do you unlock paths?

How on earth? I started at the bay, ignored most of my needs beside sleep and survival rationing of food and water, and barely had the shed up by then. I feel like I beelined the hut and it took weeks. The sheer amount of cordage, mud bricks, and toolmaking just to get to that point doesn't seem feasible in that timeframe.

4 hour naps and knowing exactly what's needed. No shed first and instead just running straight to the jungle and subsisting entirely off bananas with the basic shelter. First day is collecting rocks and wood while exploring for the jungle and setting up the shelter. Second day is exploring jungle and getting snakegrass for the cords and making axes. 3-6 are cutting trees. 7-10 are bricks and the finishing small stuff.

Making hand wrappings by ~day 3-4 will keep your hands from getting too destroyed. You should find aloe on the beach while exploring for the jungle so make sure to grab a bunch and hopefully unlock the gel for curing your hands.

Paths require decently high crafting (~50%?) and a shovel. Then you need a day or so of 2hour crafts with said shovel and an axe. The path reduces the time to travel to a neighboring location to 3minutes (only when leaving).

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 2, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Don't you need some herbology skill to get aloe gel? Even something that basic took me quite a while to skill into.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Don't you need some herbology skill to get aloe gel? Even something that basic took me quite a while to skill into.

Yeah which is why just rubbing it on yourself at first is fine. It shouldn't take more than a few days to get the herbology if you're harvesting all the aloe and kava (for the pain) you run across.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Card Survival seems to be priced a bit too high for its graphics/art quality. Not a deal breaker for me necessarily, but I'm thinking they have got to be losing sales to people reacting to that price.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Grounded chat: you use raw science to purchase upgrades on the computer after you've unlocked the oak tree lab complex. That'll have your roofs.

Craft lots of spears, throw those spears!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Vib Rib posted:

You only need like 7% herbology, just uproot a bunch of lemongrass even if you don't have a use for it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Grounded thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934545

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rynoto posted:

A cistern and a well are both pretty essential, yeah. A big 'optimization' if you will is also investing heavily into farming early so you have a constant supply of high quality food without trekking around the island. This then snowballs into more time to build paths everywhere to save even more time for more farms and access to resources.

You can also have a mud hut up by day 10 if you start near the jungle. A kiln for coolers and a few jugs a day or two later which sets you up to stockpile food/water then the Flint Hunt for knapping to be able to make planks for the table and chairs crafting boost. Can have it all done by day 20-30. Get a drum somewhere in the middle for entertainment and you can basically do whatever during the rainy season.

I really have to ask how you have a mud hut up that fast, it seems collecting all the logs would take a month

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

I really have to ask how you have a mud hut up that fast, it seems collecting all the logs would take a month
I mean technically I lied!!!!! due to SuperUnlucky(TM) jungle with no banana spawns and only one in the wetlands so had to live off of lemongrass, mushrooms, and 5 bananas so it took the final build being in the morning of the 11th day.
From my new Parachute, Birthday Suit, Extreme Rain start:

It's almost entirely built on realizing that you can shove bars to the extremes and still come out far, far ahead. There were points where both foot and hand wounds were maxed out even with hand warps, foot wraps, and max aloe gel. Kava water is brokenly good.

Shouldn't take more than a day or two to balance out the bars then start building the reservoir and kiln.

E: Two banana trees spawned in the jungle right after completing the hut just to spite me.
Yes this also means my character is running around the jungle with nothing but coconut shoes, hand wraps, foot wraps, and a basket. Don't judge :colbert:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 2, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rynoto posted:

I mean technically I lied!!!!! due to SuperUnlucky(TM) jungle with no banana spawns and only one in the wetlands so had to live off of lemongrass, mushrooms, and 5 bananas so it took the final build being in the morning of the 11th day.
From my new Parachute, Birthday Suit, Extreme Rain start:

It's almost entirely built on realizing that you can shove bars to the extremes and still come out far, far ahead. There were points where both foot and hand wounds were maxed out even with hand warps, foot wraps, and max aloe gel. Kava water is brokenly good.

Shouldn't take more than a day or two to balance out the bars then start building the reservoir and kiln.

E: Two banana trees spawned in the jungle right after completing the hut just to spite me.

:staredog: Well poo poo

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Is anyone else playing Survive the Nights? Just picked it up over the weekend and it seems like an interesting take on the genre.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

:staredog: Well poo poo

I'm pretty sure I've pushed the game to its logical extremes. The biggest realization was that oversaturating foods doesn't really matter when you can just shove ginger tea and kava juice down your throat, especially early before loneliness kicks in. Until about day 45 depression/stress spirals aren't that dangerous so keeping bars balanced isn't nearly as important as it's cheaper/faster to just balance it after you're done torturing the poor character to get whatever you want done.

On like, day 6 of that build they were zero mood, max stress, near max pain but a few sandcastle, kava, aloe and a sleep later they were back to being painless and sad-but-not-slowed.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 2, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That reminds me, is there any reason NOT to fill my water skin/gourd with kava instead? The only thing I can think of is you might not be able to wash your eyes out with kava if you get spat on

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

duffmensch posted:

Is anyone else playing Survive the Nights? Just picked it up over the weekend and it seems like an interesting take on the genre.

It's been in EA for 5 years and the reviews are not good.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

That reminds me, is there any reason NOT to fill my water skin/gourd with kava instead? The only thing I can think of is you might not be able to wash your eyes out with kava if you get spat on

The water skin is so heavy that I only really carry it when I expect to run into those awful snakes or during the hot month as a quick way to soak.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ah so you can get an early mud hut if you absolutely torture your character, that makes more sense.

I've gotten better about fighting macaques (and dealing with their bites) but they perplex me. Why do they keep stealing my hand drills? What are they going to do with them??

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

On day 100 they all come back and burn your house down

Edit: I just unlocked and placed the BP for the mud hut down and laughed at how many phases of construction there are. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ah so you can get an early mud hut if you absolutely torture your character, that makes more sense.

I've gotten better about fighting macaques (and dealing with their bites) but they perplex me. Why do they keep stealing my hand drills? What are they going to do with them??

A week later and they're happy as can be living high off fish and waiting for the farms to grow and scavenging as much flint as possible. :shrug:

As for stuff the macaques have stolen you can get all your stuff back but it requires going VERY stabby

explosivo posted:

On day 100 they all come back and burn your house down

Edit: I just unlocked and placed the BP for the mud hut down and laughed at how many phases of construction there are. :shepface:

The first is by far the hardest. After those 5 trunks it's all bricks, cords, and palm leaves which are easy and don't destroy your mood.

E: Seriously do farming. This is from only 2 plots.

Yams are an amazing staple and a compost bin is cheap.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 2, 2022