Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

jalapeno_dude posted:

5) sneaking up on animals when the weather and time of day is right and having them run away from him without them even noticing him

what, you've never chased squirrels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

jalapeno_dude posted:

ETA: If we take Yoshi-P at his word that the island sanctuary was meant to be relaxing, we can infer some things the man finds relaxing:
1) managing a work force that complains about working conditions but never does anything about it, which you can't order to crunch
2) working with pseudo-database software with incredibly clunky, inefficient UI
3) trying to infer market conditions from noisy, inconclusive data
4) running in very small circles gathering stone
5) sneaking up on animals when the weather and time of day is right and having them run away from him without them even noticing him

Just add "on a tropical island" to the end of all of those.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Fixed it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

HackensackBackpack posted:

WHERE ARE MY HORSES, drat IT!?

Now I'm just thinking about how Stormblood never gave us a non-magic regular horse mount and feeling kind of sad

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

i find it relaxing to pet my sheep and rainbow birds and listen to the chill music

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Antivehicular posted:

Now I'm just thinking about how Stormblood never gave us a non-magic regular horse mount and feeling kind of sad

The horse from Heaven on High isn't super magic, except for the flying bit, but I know what you mean. There are plenty of regular-rear end horses on the Steppe and we don't get one.

GloomMouse posted:

i find it relaxing to pet my sheep and rainbow birds and listen to the chill music

:hmmyes:

I like to play Welcome to Our Town! on the orchestrion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SettingSun posted:

For all intents and purposes the island as presented to us is finished content. They’ll add to it sure, but I would call that an expansion of its features.

I am not clear of what argument you are using here but that is the point. They are adding more over time. It isn't finished content any more tham any other content that gets built up.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Figuring out the crafts of the day is essentially a crosswords puzzle for me and I enjoy doing it, but it's not exactly very involved anymore.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

I am not clear of what argument you are using here but that is the point. They are adding more over time. It isn't finished content any more tham any other content that gets built up.

You judge the content on how it exists, not how it might exist in the future. Saying "it could be way cool in the future you guys" means nothing when the future is anywhere between 2 and a half to 6 and a half months away and we have no evidence anywhere that it will actually be cooler.

Not that I am particularly disappointed in what we got. My expectations were to get a thing that would have a clunky interface and be kinda tedious and lo and behold those expectations were met. It was still fun to build up the island though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The island is a machine where you do minimal work and it spits out the scrip dyes in exchange, so I love it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Down to my final 20 timer fish.

Got some real fuckers on the list though.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think I'm gona spin down the island sanctuary, I got everything I want and it feels like just annoying busywork to keep up with it. I think overall I ended up not actually liking it that much though

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Xun posted:

I think I'm gona spin down the island sanctuary, I got everything I want and it feels like just annoying busywork to keep up with it. I think overall I ended up not actually liking it that much though

I liked the actual building up of the island part the most, and, as weird as it sounds, I do wish there were some less automation to gathering once you get to rank 10 and fully upgrade the granaries. I fully admit to like running around in circles and gathering, though, so this is very much a taste thing.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

what happens if i stop feeding my animals every day?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

blatman posted:

As far as I know, Hostile just makes them give a single common leaving per day with no chance of any rare leavings.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

blatman posted:

You start wondering why youre paying money for ff14

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

blatman posted:

I think it's like neopets where the UI just tells you they are sad. The probably have a lower % chance to drop loot too but idk lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

jalapeno_dude posted:

I think my issue is that I wanted Animal Crossing and got Harvest Moon instead.

Or, well, that's not quite it. Given everything that was described both in LLs and in-game about the Sanctuary being, well, a sanctuary, both for our minions and for us, I wanted it to be, well, calmer. Instead you get to the place and there's an XP bar and quests and mammets who are endlessly talking at you. My idea, and I have to assume my WoL's idea, of relaxation and sanctuary does not involve managing employees. (Maybe Yoshi-P has done management for so long that he can't relax without it.)

Basically, I wanted the Island to be a totally solitary experience for the WoL, and the existence of the mammets ruined that for me even before I realized the gameplay was "click 60 times on one UI element daily and 60 more times on another UI element every two days."

ETA: If we take Yoshi-P at his word that the island sanctuary was meant to be relaxing, we can infer some things the man finds relaxing:
1) managing a work force that complains about working conditions but never does anything about it, which you can't order to crunch
2) working with pseudo-database software with incredibly clunky, inefficient UI
3) trying to infer market conditions from noisy, inconclusive data
4) running in very small circles gathering stone

didnt read

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/xt52xx/my_friends_new_private_chambers_is/

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How would y'all rank the EW Role quests? I realized I'd never gotten around to doing them so I figured I'd try to knock some out and wanted to start with the worst of the bunch.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mordiceius posted:

How would y'all rank the EW Role quests? I realized I'd never gotten around to doing them so I figured I'd try to knock some out and wanted to start with the worst of the bunch.

Healer is one of the best
Melee DPS is great
Tank is mixed opinions (I like it)
Ranged DPS is pretty good
Caster DPS didn't do it for me.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Here's my rankings:

1) Ranged. Deals with Hien/Yugiri and Doma after Stormblood.
2) Healer: Fordola and Arenveld.
3) Tank: Deals with Kan-E-Senna and Gridania. This one is very divisive, but after thinking about it a bit more, I like it. Helps flesh out the most neglected of the cityleaders a bit.
4) Melee: Kind of boring, deals with Limsa and the Sahagin.
5) Caster: Ishgard.txt.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

1) Healer - thought it was a nice followup to stb and enjoyed the time with fordola and arenvald
2) Tank - probably the coolest duty and a rare opportunity to actually dive into gridanian stuff a bit
3) Melee - liked: pirate mom. not a big fan of: company of heroes 2
4) Physical Ranged - eh, wasn't my cup of tea (edit: oh, some good character bits tho)
5) Caster - i honestly don't remember anything about it

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 2, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

company of heroes 2 was phenomenal

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Finally..So close yet so far.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Flavahbeast posted:

company of heroes 2 was phenomenal

It was phenomenally awful.

Brayflox is the only good member of the Company of Heroes.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Generally speaking, it seems like:

Best Tier - Healer
Divisive Tier - Tank/Melee DPS/Ranged Phys DPS
It Ain't Good Tier - Caster

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 2, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mordiceius posted:

Healer > Melee > Phys Ranged > stabbing myself in the eye > Tank > Magical DPS

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

why does the chocobo give fur

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

birds are mysterious

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Chillgamesh posted:

why does the chocobo give fur

down is like fur

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
maybe it isn't the chocobo's fur

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Tank is loving awful, easily bottom of the list. -5/10. Neat duty, but I'm super soured on it because of everything surrounding it. I hate the elementals.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

It was phenomenally awful.

Brayflox is the only good member of the Company of Heroes.

Wasn’t one of the non-traitor braves a company of heroes guy? I have a soft spot for him being like, the one memorable non-traitor

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Healer: Best, meet the best people again
Melee, ranged, caster: Yeah sure okay
Tank: It's actually a white mage quest

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Roach Warehouse posted:

Wasn’t one of the non-traitor braves a company of heroes guy? I have a soft spot for him being like, the one memorable non-traitor
Riol, yeah. He went into freelance mercenary work after leaving the Company, and eventually winds up with the Scions as, well, kind of a B-Team Thancred, since he's also a sneaky guy big on recon and intel gathering.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The EW caster quest is highly dependant on your tolerance for Ishgard being Ishgard, and the concept of religion. If you aren't a fan of either, it's gonna suck for you.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Generally speaking, it seems like:

Best Tier - Healer
Divisive Tier - Tank/Melee DPS/Ranged Phys DPS
It Ain't Good Tier - Caster

ehhhh i think you can drop tank a tier. think most people don't like gridania or the elementals enough to sustain it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Healer is the best one just for being the only one to really justify being an actual healer quest story and gameplay wise. Like I don't remember doing actual tanking at any point during the tank questline and nothing really changes if you swap the DPS around their role quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I enjoyed the tank role quest :shrug: