Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
This is for out of clan disciplines, right? Otherwise it sounds like actually tracking material components in d&d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Soonmot posted:

This is for out of clan disciplines, right? Otherwise it sounds like actually tracking material components in d&d.

Nawh - Resonance is needed to learn any Discipline, with more extreme ones giving you bonuses. Out of clans you need to drink from someone with it in clan for the first one.

It's more about having the Resonance in your system. It's Thinbloods that need to do the material component poo poo.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018
Been away for a while.

Anything interesting going on for WoD?

I heard the new Hunter is... something...

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 17, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Not gonna lie, Resonance sounds like the worst mechanic ever. Gotta go DM-may-I to elarn your core powers.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I think it's interesting and fun. It's not necessarily random: A player can easily look for a specific resonance by going to a location where one is more likely (e.g. someone at a birthday party will likely have a different resonance than someone at a wake), look for a likely victim (e.g. a divorced middle-aged dude vs a young party-goer), or even influence a victim to create it (most vampires should not have too much trouble eliciting the desired emotions). Certain skills and powers might make it easier but I'd never make it hard for the player to find the resonance they want.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

a7m2 posted:

I think it's interesting and fun.

Well I don't. Hey, remember the terrible Resonance mechanic from Ascension no one used? We're bringing them to V5 except now you need to use them to gain the privilege of spending your XP on stuff you alredy have in-clan!

This rule is never getting used more than once by 90% of play groups after they use it and realize it's, at best, pointless busywork.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fair enough, to each their own. If I ever think it gets in the way of having fun I'd certainly get rid of it but my players also like it so for now I'm keeping it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well I don't. Hey, remember the terrible Resonance mechanic from Ascension no one used? We're bringing them to V5 except now you need to use them to gain the privilege of spending your XP on stuff you alredy have in-clan!

This rule is never getting used more than once by 90% of play groups after they use it and realize it's, at best, pointless busywork.

It's like you're having to earn another form of resource to spend the XP resource you already worked to gain. I'm sure it works fine if you have a good ST who pays attention to it, but it's going to be a gotcha experience for others. Game design doesn't need these things anymore. It can work in video games as an unlock mechanic, because you can make sure that everyone has the ability to unlock the mechanic. TT games do not have that guarantee.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Resonance seems more like a setting detail than a real game mechanic; I can't imagine an ST making a a point of it being super hard to find prey who's depressed or angry or whatever unless they have it in for you otherwise. I seem to remember some version of V5 having you actually collect bonus XP based on biting the right people, but, as far as I can tell, either they discarded it or I imagined it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I've been doing something similar in my mage campaign. The characters have to do some kind of research or study to trigger a flag they can take the next dot of an arcanum or gnosis. I've really liked how it's worked out. It pushes players to more actively engage with the themes of pursuing knowledge.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ferrinus posted:

Resonance seems more like a setting detail than a real game mechanic; I can't imagine an ST making a a point of it being super hard to find prey who's depressed or angry or whatever unless they have it in for you otherwise. I seem to remember some version of V5 having you actually collect bonus XP based on biting the right people, but, as far as I can tell, either they discarded it or I imagined it.

That was one of the things Ericsson talked about originally, like you wanted to find happy people to drink from or whatever, but I imagine Hite tossed it out.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

That was one of the things Ericsson talked about originally, like you wanted to find happy people to drink from or whatever, but I imagine Hite tossed it out.

Some of that's in Dyscrasias, which give extra XP and other benefits, but those are harder to come by.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yeah it makes sense as a setting detail, but not as a mechanic. It would fit in a big book of optional mechanics like Requiem got.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MoonKnight posted:

Some of that's in Dyscrasias, which give extra XP and other benefits, but those are harder to come by.

Oh, I didn't catch those on a skim but I see they remain. Delete those and it's a fine mechanic.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

MoonKnight posted:

An extra XP if and only if you kill a dude by draining them dry.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For those wondering why I always post about Clutch being the ideal musical pairing with the oWoD - this may help explain. Some of its a bit of a reach and it misses elements of the grand narrative in some of the albums. Before the flood took it, I had a selection of splat-specific playlists of (mostly) Clutch tunes. I might just revisit them and post them here to rebuild my momentum for cleaning up the project data for release, which brings me to that bit: Expect it to just be the data at this point and maybe the timeline-as-is (or maybe not).

Since the flood I've had to pick up my hustle to make money for rent (I previously split my residence between a rather charming 1910s worker's cottage that we owned outright and another, pre-Federation worker's cottage by the river, full of moulding books, giant serpents, and huge mango trees bedecked with old man's beard and a very active bat colony, complete with an enormous shed formerly used to build busses. Very gothic, much genteel crumbling, etc, etc) in a market that's exploded with demand with some thousand+ houses now wholly uninhabitable in a region already bursting at the seams (due to airbnb, mostly - the knock-on effects of Byron Bay are loving devastating for the rest of the region). I also just can't work up the spirit to do the rest of the job any more since sitting down to do it reminds me I can't pick up the books to check references etc and that sets off a whole spiral of remembering my lost libraries.

On a lighter note, somehow in the aftermath of the same flood I've become a published artist for gothic and neo-gothic poetry and literary magazines (which is part of the hustle eating my time: broke rear end nineteen year old editorial boards pay peanuts, it turns out so I've had to pick up commissions on the side). It seems to have spelled doom for one nerd project but given me the skills to illustrate the next one.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry for that, but it sounds like there's a glimmer of hope for you.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Minor LA chronicle update.

While the tensions between competing Anarch domains mount our cotorie struggles to get a handle on everything following a political spanking by one of the Barons. The dangers of trying to go your own way. But with the death of an extremely popular and beloved figure in one barony at the hands of another's heavy poo poo's Getting Real.

The Tremere burn-out went back to the Cam Elysium to figure out what their plan is (spoiler: it's being assholes and ignoring the growing threat of some Sabbat heavies in favor of a land grab). The Ventrue learned why one doesn't go out with Hunger 4. The Malk and Nossie made contact with one of the baronies to get a finger on wtf they're planning.

My Ravnos, meanwhile, continues to gather info ro disrupt some ritual that may or may not be keeping some ancient vampire slumbering - his take on this is "Gehenna's not too bad once you're on the other side". This plan's instigated by Khalil Ravanna and my guy's old cotorie and has his full support, even if he's warned his sire that his specialties are courier-related or causing chaos and not deep cover and manipulation.

He also accidentally killed the actor Jerry Mathers in a freak moped accident. Said accident involved him taking the moped ("gifted" to him by one of the Tzim's ghouls when his domitor wanted to put the latter in his place), finding the tallest parking garage he could find, building a ramp, and seeing how far he could ride the thing in the air before using Protean 1 to land safely.

It'll probably get the sheriff to try and kill him for it but his last words will be "yeah but it was funny as poo poo wasn't it?"

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
It looks like there's a quick start adventure for Hunter the Vigil 1e, but not 2e. Would it be an easy enough conversion? I'm hoping to run a spooky one-shot for my group this Halloween.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Just run 1e imo. There’s a conversion kit available, but for a one-shot it’s probably not worth the effort.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Picking up Changeling the Lost again, and, all hosed up from re-reading Sandman, I want to make dreams a central role. What are your opinions and experiences, if any, using the Dreamweaving rules? I play 2e but I suppose I'll look at 1e if it's better

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Played a bit of WtA (20th Anniversary Edition). I'm all for the gonzo mishmash from a ST who knows OWOD (Malfeas corrupted NWO attacked our Dublin public park sept with a helicopter).

But I have to admit I neither like the crusty old crunch that V5 streamlined neither the attitude of ST May I? that is carried on in V5 (justifying power stat advancement when the xp cost is already expensive is a bit eh to me).

Also the book layout and table of contents suck.

Terratina fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 30, 2022

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias posted:

Picking up Changeling the Lost again, and, all hosed up from re-reading Sandman, I want to make dreams a central role. What are your opinions and experiences, if any, using the Dreamweaving rules? I play 2e but I suppose I'll look at 1e if it's better

I dove into my mates copy of C:TL 1st ed, and feel like I have bigger problems than dreamweaving now.

I haven't seen a supernatural being nerfed this hard between editions since Mage 2 and 3 :aaa: Changelings can barely beat each other up at this point, and both pledge law and contracts seem over-engineered and hard to use now.

Have any attempts been made to create a workable hybrid of the two? Or is it possible somehow to use some of 2E and some of 1E without revising the entire system? Halp!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The edition change in CoD really screwed up several of the lines while improving the overall system. It's a real shame they couldn't just update the system without meddling it all to gently caress.

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's super frustrating. Perhaps I'll just keep the combat/test system and play 1st ed apart from that.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

I do wonder if there's some workability in porting over Mage into Changeling. Could work out a Common -> Royal -> High/Fae/Arcadian tier system, with purviews already rolled into the contract's Regalia type. That way the book could describe sample contracts on the fly, but the game becomes players learning to manipulate their contract-making powers over their Regalia and being creative with it like Mage Thaumaturgy.

Hell, 1e True Fae basically worked this way already, with Gentry being able to pick a handful of Regalia and negotiate new powers on the fly from them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

They're axing all the old meta and Woof5 isn't a continuation of old editions. Wendigo are now Galestalkers and Uktena are Ghost Council. Looks like a massive shake up, get ready for all the old grogs to cry.

https://www.worldofdarkness.com/news/werewolf-the-apocalypse-tribes-and-renown

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Good start

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

They're axing all the old meta and Woof5 isn't a continuation of old editions. Wendigo are now Galestalkers and Uktena are Ghost Council. Looks like a massive shake up, get ready for all the old grogs to cry.

https://www.worldofdarkness.com/news/werewolf-the-apocalypse-tribes-and-renown

From reading over the blogpost, I'm intrigued. I just read and reviewed 1e Apocalypse and really enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to seeing where W5 goes. Also the Ghost Council/Galestalkers name changes are both sweet as hell and way less offensive while still being easy to recognize as "Oh, thats this and this tribe".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Get being gone is still kind of a shame what with getting rehabbed in Revised and the Stargazers being gone is fine because nobody will pester their ST for learning Kailindo.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The Get being gone is still kind of a shame what with getting rehabbed in Revised and the Stargazers being gone is fine because nobody will pester their ST for learning Kailindo.

I believe the word on the Get is that they've fallen to the Wyrm like the Black Spiral Dancers did. Also I somehow totally missed that the Stargazers aren't on that list, huh.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

joylessdivision posted:

I believe the word on the Get is that they've fallen to the Wyrm like the Black Spiral Dancers did. Also I somehow totally missed that the Stargazers aren't on that list, huh.

This is correct, and the upcoming board game even has a fallen Get in it as an enemy, apparently.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

joylessdivision posted:

The Stargazers never really... mattered a lot, I'd put it? When your Thing is you not doing what the entire rest of the Garou do with a heaping helping of Orientalism (complete with special martial art, not unlike if not as omnipresent as Mage's Do) combined with about every thing in their history being "our tribe's ways mean we routinely get our clocks wound by the Wyrm and we should probably Do Something but we must not become attached to things" that probably comes from an extremely blinkered surface understanding of Eastern religions then you can safely wash your hands of the entire enterprise.

I wouldn't be shocked if they turned up in whatever eastern Changing Courts deal they might have, but if they're gone for good, fine.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The tribal key words and key renowns look like WtF 2e with extra steps, which is definitely a step in the right direction (towards the good game).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Stargazer Revised made them my fave tribe, but I also 100% understand why they're gone.

This is making me interested in W5, despite how bad Reckoning apparently is.

Edit: Love the new names for the Wendigo and Uktena.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The Stargazers never really... mattered a lot, I'd put it? When your Thing is you not doing what the entire rest of the Garou do with a heaping helping of Orientalism (complete with special martial art, not unlike if not as omnipresent as Mage's Do) combined with about every thing in their history being "our tribe's ways mean we routinely get our clocks wound by the Wyrm and we should probably Do Something but we must not become attached to things" that probably comes from an extremely blinkered surface understanding of Eastern religions then you can safely wash your hands of the entire enterprise.

I wouldn't be shocked if they turned up in whatever eastern Changing Courts deal they might have, but if they're gone for good, fine.

I thought the Stargazers were the Egyptian tribe? Am I thinking of the Silent Striders?

I know it was only like a month or two ago that I read that book but TBH most of the tribes have melted into a soup of "Them there Woofs" and "The Black Furies and Fianna and Bone Gnawers are all cool".

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

joylessdivision posted:

From reading over the blogpost, I'm intrigued. I just read and reviewed 1e Apocalypse and really enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to seeing where W5 goes. Also the Ghost Council/Galestalkers name changes are both sweet as hell and way less offensive while still being easy to recognize as "Oh, thats this and this tribe".

quote:

Tribe also imparts special spiritually mandated benefits and restrictions — a favor and a ban, something with which the werewolf gains proficiency from their spirit patron as well as a vow to uphold a certain way of life or attitude. For example, as a favor, Shadow Lords can conscript Stormcrow spirits to aid them, while, as a ban, the Galestalkers must partake of fresh kill daily, all based on the primal urges of their Patron Spirits.

We're not saying your character concept is based on a First Nations myth about a cannibal spirit, but man, I hope your character is never stuck somewhere with nothing to eat but people.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

We're not saying your character concept is based on a First Nations myth about a cannibal spirit, but man, I hope your character is never stuck somewhere with nothing to eat but people.

Pretty sure eating people is against the Litany, which as we all know, the Garou take Very Seriously and never ever ignore or break it. :v:

you know except when they do...all the loving time

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I am absolutely all about untethering Tribes and ethnicities, hallelujah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Tias posted:

I haven't seen a supernatural being nerfed this hard between editions since Mage 2 and 3 :aaa: Changelings can barely beat each other up at this point, and both pledge law and contracts seem over-engineered and hard to use now.

I'm 100% with you on pledges. I don't think the 2e pledges are more complicated, considering the point-buy nature of putting a 1e pledge together compared to very little in the way of guidelines for custom pledges in 2e, but they're far more limited. Even if you interpret 1e pledges as overpowered and representing too large a proportion of changeling power, they overcompensated hard to the point of closing off a lot of easy story beats.

I'm not sure I agree on the contracts, though. They're spread out more, with Regalia being much broader than 1e Contract purviews (in exchange for individual effects being more accessible within them, being divided into "little contract" and "big contract" rather than having to climb each dot ladder of clauses), but there are plenty of powerful 2e contracts, and I remember Changeling being one of the less potent 1e beings outside of their pledgecraft. I do think they have some significant holes (the basic Ogre package of "big and strong" is not super accessible from the provided contracts; tying Ogres to Shield and Elementals to Sword in general kind of warps the contract provisions), but I don't see a major overall nerf.

In terms of complication, there's seeming benefits, but I like more of them than I don't, and they're not terribly complicated.