Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GloomMouse posted:

Occasionally the Trust npcs eat mechanics and die, this includes the healer. Having levelled Trusts to 90 i can say it seems to happen with Alisae and Urianger the most

Oh, okay, that'd explain it. I had Urianger healing, so I presume he just ate poo poo first and the DPS followed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Generally speaking, all of the NPCs can rez for one lore reason or another (iirc Thancred uses Phoenix Downs even) to try and mitigate this. But if they all bite it and the player isn’t a healer/SMN/RDM, then they do get in an unwinable state.

That said I’ve personally never had an AI party member die, just myself because lol Black Mage. It does suck to get kicked back to the checkpoint if the player bites it, though it does enable me to learn fights without having to be embarrassed about floor tanking until I learn what the hell is going on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Flair posted:

That's part of the point of doing this -- to validate or invalidate the exaggeration.

I appreciate the power of your spite and look forward to you testing these claims further should the duty support system be expanded further

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Urianger winning all the loot rolls for gear for classes he doesn't even play, then asking "what doth thou think of mine new attire"

:colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sassassin posted:

The Crystal Tower raids have basically been joke content for as long as anyone can remember. It's funny watching everyone wipe on the stupid stuff but there's no good reason anyone should mourn if they were to redesign it all the same way they've just done Thornmarch and Steps of Faith.

Being an introduction to 24-man raiding is enough of a reason to not give them the Steps of Faith treatment, and the mechanics aren't weird enough to get the Thornmarch treatment.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The AIs not using AoE does mean that if you're tanking, and you try to make a big pull, you're gonna run out of CDs before the DPS plink the mobs to death one at a time.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I like to tank in Duty Support for the extra defenses while learning mechs, but I always take the pulls one pack at a time. It's a good opportunity to experience the Content Respecter Lifestyle.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I timed a lot of my Shadowbringer dungeon times to see what it was like with trusts and they were in the range of 24-27 minutes per run. I did it with all three roles and even forced big pulls to see if the trusts could handle it (they could, but it got really dicey with some tanks). The level 77 dungeon in particular was shorter than the other dungeons. I haven't done much trust leveling in EW though, so I'm not sure if it's changed much but I can't imagine it has.

With a real party for those same dungeons, it was around 18-20 minutes for what I would consider "normal" runs. However, there's always the risk of getting a run with an absolutely horrible player which extends the run time to around half an hour. From an exp/time perspective, the queue times for dungeons is buoyed by the fact that you could be doing daily hunts requests, beast tribe dailies, or any other number of things that you'd want to be doing anyway (island sanctuary too). However, the biggest advantage to the above is that if you run a dungeon with NPC support or Trusts, all the loot is yours. Even though the loot is cut in half, the rare orchestrion rolls or minions can still drop from the final chest which is more than worth the extended run time of the dungeon IMO if you're farming for something like that.

As an extra note, expert roulette dungeons clock in at around 15 minutes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think they purposefully make the trusts take longer than doing it with other people because if they took the same amount of time (or god forbid were faster) no one would ever queue for them

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

euphronius posted:

I did a duty support today for the first time and cried when they npcs dodged the mechanics.

They need to do a pass on squadrons, then, because there was no AoE left uneaten in the Stone Vigil. :argh: At least they seem to take reduced damage, it only took a single Helios to get everybody back to full.

SettingSun posted:

If you want a dungeon done fast, don’t use trusts/duty support. They don’t aoe because they don’t really need to. Their damage is mostly simulation.
In that same Stone Vigil, I noticed the Arcanist's carby backflipping constantly, and someone kept laying down what started out looking like Flare, but left a puddle.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

squadrons were the duty support/trust prototype and don't really do mechanics, but they don't get status effects, take reduced damage and once they're fully ranked up they're basically unkillable. Being the tank can be painful though because you aren't invincible and the healer ai is not great

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Squadrons also use extremely outdated versions of their class kits, the same as a lot of overworld mobs that have class abilities. I don't think I've ever recognized a drat thing my squad Arcanist casts.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Squadrons are cool because their raw numbers are insane and they use legendary techniques lost to time. Duty support/trust healers will stop healing if they're in *do mechanic* mode, squadron ones eat whatever is coming their way with a tank-sized hp pool and keep working.

Would love if more optional dungeons let us use squadrons. Don't care if it works properly, drop those monsters in and see what happens.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They are literally pants on head stupid in that if you put pants on every gear slot of a equivalent level character you might get their raw stats.

Just ludicrously strong with very dumb ai that needs you to spam commands to do anything.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There was a glorious (or tedious, depending on your point of view) period of a few weeks after squadrons first launched where hitting the engage button would reset all of your squad members' cooldowns, including GCDs. So you could just have 2 archers spamming Barraged attacks as fast as you could press the button.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They usually work fine(TM) without spamming commands but especially adds or stuff you have to destroy to make a boss vulnerable will trip them up, so I just ended up putting the engage/disengage keys on two mouse buttons when I ran squadrons.

The outlier in squadrons is the healer, it's the one role that's generally worse than having a player do it. Their raw healing numbers and DPS are fine but the AI seems to wait until someone is below ~50% health before they even start casting a heal. This works in single trash packs or against a boss, but they don't care about how fast damage is coming in, so the squishy player will melt while the healer finishes another cast of Break (an old single target DPS role ability for healers, which the squad healers use a lot) first. And the squadron tank is pretty sturdy, but might still die while you tried to pull the entire Brayflox swamp area (RIP) at once.

Bringing an arcanist for DPS helps because they will spot-heal with physick. I also ran ACT with squadrons for a while and if you have multiple targets, arcanist (even before the pet) is better DPS than archers, on top of the healing support. So if you want to farm squadron dungeons solely for the achievement and GC rank, go on a healer. If you want to level DPS jobs without a queue (and without a single dungeon taking half an hour :v:), go with conjurer, arcanist and any tank. Although I prefered MRD because IIRC the GLD only has the old no-damage AoE, Flash.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

drat, I leveled an Archer based on the old meta, should've played ball with an Arcanist. But I mean, I can just use a scroll or whatever to change someone's job, right?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes, you will lose a level on that squadron member (and their look will reset) but that's it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just unlocked Inner Beast on my warrior and uh yeah; this is loving rad.

Berserk + Combo Storm's Path + 2 Inner Beast is a metric fuckton of damage in a very short period of time.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Berserk + Combo Storm's Path + 2 Inner Beast is a metric fuckton of damage in a very short period of time.

It gets better. :getin:

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Mesadoram posted:

Buddy you have no idea

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DelphiAegis posted:

It gets better. :getin:

Mainwaring posted:

Buddy you have no idea

Sounds amazing :unsmith:.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Mesadoram posted:

Sounds amazing :unsmith:.

Oh I can't wait until you get higher up. Warrior is a loving blast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

orcane posted:

The outlier in squadrons is the healer, it's the one role that's generally worse than having a player do it. Their raw healing numbers and DPS are fine but the AI seems to wait until someone is below ~50% health before they even start casting a heal. This works in single trash packs or against a boss, but they don't care about how fast damage is coming in, so the squishy player will melt while the healer finishes another cast of Break (an old single target DPS role ability for healers, which the squad healers use a lot) first. And the squadron tank is pretty sturdy, but might still die while you tried to pull the entire Brayflox swamp area (RIP) at once.

I've seen guides recommend putting healers on Offensive for bigger heals but that always makes it feel like they're running late. Big difference in when they'll heal between that, Independent and Defensive.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That reminds me I need to just run through a few more squadron missions to help level up my WMH anyways and I haven't unlocked the pushup or stretch emotes yet.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

S.J. posted:

Oh I can't wait until you get higher up. Warrior is a loving blast.

:allears:

Can't wait either now lol

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

If I were directing the studio on how to make the 24-man content viable, I would first propose to have a downscaled but mechanically similar version and just use a single 8-person NPC party.

There's no real point to making another 16 AIs that you barely interact with, and doing so would, at a blind guess on my part, probably take more work than just building a secondary version of the thing mores suited for a single party. But who knows if that would work at all with their codebase.

If they wanted to they could have another 16 NPCs running around in some parts, but hard-scripted like most friendly NPCs in group content rather than anything reacting to variable mechanics.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

S.J. posted:

That reminds me I need to just run through a few more squadron missions to help level up my WMH anyways and I haven't unlocked the pushup or stretch emotes yet.

IIRC you need to finish 10 unique dungeons, and it'll just appear in your emotes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NachtSieger posted:

IIRC you need to finish 10 unique dungeons, and it'll just appear in your emotes.

It's the Dear Leader 1 achievement, which I think is just 10 command missions in general. I do remember that getting the last Grand Company rank requires you to do unique dungeons though I think?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
It’s five unique dungeons for the GC rank-up and 10 total dungeons for the achievement and emotes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I really want the delinquent squat emote :negative:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Raenir Salazar posted:

I really want the delinquent squat emote :negative:

its not a delinquent squat, you do the exercise squats in a loop

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Catboys have a gremlin squat as one of their emotes (I don't remember which one), maybe they were talking about that?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Like Clockwork posted:

Catboys have a gremlin squat as one of their emotes (I don't remember which one), maybe they were talking about that?

It’s one of their /sit.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Like Clockwork posted:

They're talking about how the catgirls squat outside the Missing Member in Limsa

hopeandjoy posted:

It’s one of their /sit.

Wait are there multiple /sits?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Electric Phantasm posted:

You can /cpose to change it!

I sort of wish everyone had the same, but mostly because I want my Roe to do the Lala "storytime sway" animation.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dareon posted:

You can /cpose to change it!

I sort of wish everyone had the same, but mostly because I want my Roe to do the Lala "storytime sway" animation.

Oh my God I can actually sit on the ground

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

They're talking about how the catgirls squat outside the Missing Member in Limsa

Yep, that's the catboy squat. No, I don't know why catgirl player characters can't have it.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Also multiple sleeping poses! /doze on a bed then /cpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There are also multiple idle animations.