Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Ineptitude posted:

I too have a mountain of spirit shards.

Never done any spirit shard conversions to gold before, though i have heard of mystic forge gambling.

Threw 4 stacks of bronze ingots to make iron ingots. Got 40 ingots 4 times, literally the smallest possible amount 4 times.

Yeah that's where the pain in the rear end part comes in, you gotta do it a bunch at once otherwise you can get owned by variance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Decided to buy the full collection, and boosted a Revenant to 80. Not sure that was the greatest idea, everything is... incredibly overwhelming now.

Is there a recommended way to deal with this mass of content that'snow open?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I would first level a character regularly if I were you.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

You can go get the mounts from Path of Fire if you don't mind story sequence breaking, and the glider from either of the other two expansions.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Everyone gets a raptor now so cutting ahead is less important

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
You can take your 80 through and do the core Tyria personal story to get a bit of a runthrough on the base framework on things, and do some map completion to get used to the mechanics and how to play the class. From there you'll get a sense of how the game works and can then start expanding into different content types that seem interesting to you.

Alternately roll up an alt and do the leveling experience on them, when you're up to speed enough you can then go back to your 80 and take it from there.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Looks like my server (shiverpeaks) is VS you guys (Maguuma) this session and people are not loving happy about it.

Or at least they say they're not happy, but every single battleground has a >10 person queue. Last night is was loving 50 for ebg and it took 2 hours. Once in, team chat was nonstop bitching about mag and someone named Claire.

I don't get what makes you guys so special.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Tortolia posted:

You can take your 80 through and do the core Tyria personal story to get a bit of a runthrough on the base framework on things, and do some map completion to get used to the mechanics and how to play the class. From there you'll get a sense of how the game works and can then start expanding into different content types that seem interesting to you.

Alternately roll up an alt and do the leveling experience on them, when you're up to speed enough you can then go back to your 80 and take it from there.

This is a good answer. Basically the personal story will give you some guidance on what to do while you get used to everything going on. I also found it helpful to go on the web and find a good 'build', preferably one based on the celestial gear your boosted character started out with.

If you are one of those people who don't care about the story at all getting the mounts from PoF early is helpful.

I like the story and I've played through HoT and PoF so far but it feels quite disjointed without the living seasons in between. I want to get them but I've been waiting for a sale. Kind of conflicted if I should just head to EoD or not.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 2, 2022

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I booster a Mesmer a while ago, and finally started putting some time in on her. I looked up a basic pve build, and started running silverwastes to get the hang of it. I'm ready to check out the elite specs, so I'll probably mess with some PoF story until I get skyscale masteries finished then do a hp train.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

there's a lot of easily soloable HPs in the PoF maps once you have the three basic mounts, you'll probably get pretty deep into your elite just picking them up on the side as you do the story

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You can craft or buy off the TP a jade bot core and just slot it into your characters, no need to run the story on each character.

T1 is around a gold and T6 for access to a service chip is around 12g, easy enough to get that gold just running events for a little while.

You just saved me a lot of time, and cost me a lot of gold lol. I have 6 more characters I need jade bots on, because I have alt-itis and have been trying to farm might/magic trophies to finish off Aurora.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

there's a lot of easily soloable HPs in the PoF maps once you have the three basic mounts, you'll probably get pretty deep into your elite just picking them up on the side as you do the story

EoD also has a bunch of them that don't require fighting anyone, although it requires getting at least one character through the story to get the Arborstone portal scroll to toss in a shared inventory slot. Or just use a Teleport to Friend stone, and go to one of the commanders that is always parked at the Kaineng JP.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
SFD has the EoD guild hall and you can teleport there, then exit to Seitung, even if you're on EU servers.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Kris xK posted:

Looks like my server (shiverpeaks) is VS you guys (Maguuma) this session and people are not loving happy about it.

Or at least they say they're not happy, but every single battleground has a >10 person queue. Last night is was loving 50 for ebg and it took 2 hours. Once in, team chat was nonstop bitching about mag and someone named Claire.

It was a 50+ queue on EBG and 10+ on 2 out of 3 BG's on maguuma side too.

As for Maguuma itself, I was gone awhile but it does seem to have a reputation and many people are very vocal about their...strong feelings... regarding Maguuma as a server.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It was a 50+ queue on EBG and 10+ on 2 out of 3 BG's on maguuma side too.

As for Maguuma itself, I was gone awhile but it does seem to have a reputation and many people are very vocal about their...strong feelings... regarding Maguuma as a server.

Because they are super highly organised and often lose to a bunch of randoms with no commander.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Kris xK posted:

I'm on SoS, Claire is good, maybe the best pug commander we've ever had but there's 1 or 2 poo poo stirrers that hate them for not really legit reasons. The "legit" reason to hate them is that they pve and make us climb the server ranks.

Mag is pretty tiresome to fight, this is the 3rd week in a row for us. The biggest thing is that they take over our side of the map and reinforce it when we have few people on. SoS is the unoffical OCE sever so our prime time is like 2am NA time. People also hate Mag for their use of siege but honestly i'm jealous of that. I mostly just play as a pug/scout/siege defence and watching people standing on a wall plinking away while im trying to build ACs and then everyone ignores them anyway lol

I think it would be fine if the 3rd sever was a threat but they seem to fall off pretty quickly into the week, or they attack us. But that could just be them not wanting to be in the same tier as Mag next week

Did anything ever happen with alliances? i'm skeptical that they can ever fix these problems as a huge part of it is unbalanced time zones and people/guild flip flop between groupings anyway

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

also I was just in a strike group with a bunch of you, thank you for the carry!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Mag uses seige? (i mean to take down a wall when needed, but for anything else?)

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Kris xK posted:

I'm curious about this too actually, I'm on maguuma, but I don't wvw and I've sort of picked up that we have a super weird reputation but nothing other than that.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think Mag just has the reputation inherent to highly Goon populated servers - populated, reasonably skilled, tenacious to the point of causing mass irritation to those who are up against them. It also seems from observing things over the last few weeks that there’s a relatively small number of hours where Mag doesn’t have enough presence to make a big dent in territory control and let their opponents run up the war score to potentially win the overall match.

My experience from doing some daytime wxp/participation farming recently is that a lot of the folks around were from the paired up Ferguson’s Crossing server, so we’ll see if Anvil Rock offers similar daytime coverage.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

your typical group zerg, under an organised commander, wants a bunch of support roles filled to keep everyone alive. these commanders will then 'deathball' (cluster everybody close together to maintain boons and healing on as many people as possible) and try to roll over other groups

mag is a bunch of people who don't have fixed schedules for wvw groups, meaning they run whenever they want, can't be guaranteed support from external players, and are collectively on their own. this forces them to run solo builds that can pull their own weight, and have the skill to play those builds. there's no mag deathball, instead you get the 'mag cloud', which is all of them spread out. this makes it really hard for an enemy deathball to roll over them because of how many there are. you can't focus your aoes on one location because there might be all of 3 guys there while the rest of the cloud picks off people at the back of your group

it's apparently highly irritating to play against because mag doesn't conform to the expected meta of behaviour, so the standard strategies don't work against it and it's easier to complain than to fight

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

your typical group zerg, under an organised commander, wants a bunch of support roles filled to keep everyone alive. these commanders will then 'deathball' (cluster everybody close together to maintain boons and healing on as many people as possible) and try to roll over other groups

mag is a bunch of people who don't have fixed schedules for wvw groups, meaning they run whenever they want, can't be guaranteed support from external players, and are collectively on their own. this forces them to run solo builds that can pull their own weight, and have the skill to play those builds. there's no mag deathball, instead you get the 'mag cloud', which is all of them spread out. this makes it really hard for an enemy deathball to roll over them because of how many there are. you can't focus your aoes on one location because there might be all of 3 guys there while the rest of the cloud picks off people at the back of your group

it's apparently highly irritating to play against because mag doesn't conform to the expected meta of behaviour, so the standard strategies don't work against it and it's easier to complain than to fight

im not even sure if SoS has any decently organized groups these days, hell half the time we dont even have a tag public or unpublic, but back when we did this is when the siege complaints were pretty common. The organized guild groups wanted to pvp and Mag would fight around towers and use siege

Said groups would also complain about us building and/or using siege as well lmao. Some of them made WvW so toxic

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I never understand the complaints from other servers about Maguuma. They don't have to be subjected to Mag team chat, they don't understand.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ptroll posted:

I never understand the complaints from other servers about Maguuma. They don't have to be subjected to Mag team chat, they don't understand.

omg, yeah. that is a truth

Edit- Finally pulled my finger out and finished the return to stuff.

Had to run the stupid tank one twice, and both times i was the only one (out of 2-3) that had done it before.

Best one was the one where i spoke to someone and it gave me the return achieve as being done.

So now all i need are my 2 rings

chest and legs in light.

(Everything in medium and heavy :/)

Then i can make some space in my WH by getting rid of all the pink gear i will never use, but refuse to salvage until.....

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 3, 2022

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ptroll posted:

This is a significant downside, it’s true

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-fall-and-winter-roadmap-2022/

New roadmap is out but unfortunately there is nothing coming that we didn't know about before. I was expecting at least a sneak peek at some new content but nope :(

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

there's no mag deathball, instead you get the 'mag cloud', which is all of them spread out.

it's apparently highly irritating to play against

After 1 weekend, I can confirm these two statements.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Won't be hearing about any living story Cantha until next year, it'll only be 1 more balance patch in November and the final repurposed season 1 content with strike mission and cm.

I noticed the mag cloud phenomenon too, was like the video game equivalent of this.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 3, 2022

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Neutron posted:

New roadmap is out but unfortunately there is nothing coming that we didn't know about before. I was expecting at least a sneak peek at some new content but nope :(

Is the strike mission new? I don't know if I remember hearing about that before. Wonder if it'll reward green or blue prophet shards, or if they'll bring back reds for it

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

404notfound posted:

Is the strike mission new? I don't know if I remember hearing about that before. Wonder if it'll reward green or blue prophet shards, or if they'll bring back reds for it

No, they announced it way back when they first introduced S1. It's just that everybody was expecting it to be the final Scarlet boss battle on the Breachmaker which is apparently not going to be the case.

The rewards are going to be indeed interesting. I would make no sense for it to award some new currency but on the other hand it's not EoD nor IBS content, either.
On top of that, I really wonder how it's going to be tuned since it will be the only strike available to f2p players so maybe they are going to have to tune it around core classes?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Neutron posted:

I will happily take another bonus xp week in wvw, stack up the ranks even faster

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so that reward for the LS1 returns must need the new strike completed as well.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The new LS1 strike could just give out core ascended/legendary mats. Never unhappy to get more coins, clovers, etc.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I'm looking at cooking up an alt and was interested in both bladesworn and spellbreaker. Does anybody have a pros and cons for those? My primary interests are open world pve and wvw stuff, though I may dip my toes into fractals and/or strikes at some point. Not really interested in spvp.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've barely touched Bladesworn, but it required me to stand still and not move, which sucks when fighting anything that drops red puddles.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
Is GOON on mag pretty much dead? Haven't played in 7+ years but I only see 1 or 2 people on at the most.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Strategy posted:

Is GOON on mag pretty much dead? Haven't played in 7+ years but I only see 1 or 2 people on at the most.

??? There's 19 people on right now as I'm typing this, and it's 11:00 at night west coast, 2:00 am east coast

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, it can be a bit quiet if you play EU or Oceania hours, but there's definitely still goons about and there are definitely active periods too.

Plus organised wubs, raids etc

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Strategy posted:

I think GOON tends to be more chatty than SFD but sometimes you have to rattle the cage, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Holy poo poo that perfectly explains the video I included with the Mech effort post about a solo roaming build in a group fight.

Hakarne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd69S8Oaqwg
This was a hilarious rout of 12-13 people in an organized guild group by like 5 or 6 of us randoms from Maguuma. Thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk lol. I love group fights with the Mortar.

We were outnumbered like 2-1, not in any type of group, and absolutely curb stomped them. That makes sense about the "cloud" as we were hitting them from all directions and everyone was built to to be able to take care of themselves (I'd seen many of those people roaming before). We kind of instinctively just knew what to do with 0 communication. The mag people in front of the ball did a fighting retreat to higher ground and a few of us on the side pressured the flank then closed in behind to cut off any avenue of escape. I'm guessing once their dedicated support went down that caused their spectacular collapse.

I didn't realize Mag was known for that lol