Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

therobit posted:

I have never purchased furniture new except stopgaps from IKEA at my wife’s behest. Financing furniture seems bizarre to me. I have bought a couple of old, good pieces used, and scavenged the rest from my father who had a bit of a problem buying used chairs for a decade or two before he stopped buying stuff and started getting rid of stuff. If I needed a couch tomorrow I would go to the Salvation Army or the goodwill. I reckon if you wanted good, lasting furniture and were a high earner it would make sense, but I can’t afford to pay cash for the good stuff new so I settled for used.

My parents spent 3k on a fold out couch and love seat 21 years ago. The couch reclining is a little worn and there's a tear, but the loveseat is still pristine. In about half the time my wife and I, trying to save money, have spent about 2k on... I dunno maybe 8-10 couches or love seats. Cheap 300 dollar ones, Craigslist, friend of a friend's used stuff, amazon flat pack. Just all wears out, rips and fails. Even if functional, they're not nearly as nice.

Reminds me of the rich man's boots vs poor man's boots story.

There's no guarantee thier's would last so long though. Even to this day, earning much more and with this adage, I would still hesitate to spend so much. 1 bad rip or broken spring/joint and it's probably a net loss anyway.

I will admit the $600 ikea combo we're using now is holding up well now for 3-4 years and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I bought a £90 Ikea sofa when I moved into this flat 7 years ago and it's still rock solid.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You're supposed to put the cushions on it.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
We have a $20 IKEA coffee table and four $50 IKEA tall, narrow CD/DVD holders, as well as a $100 IKEA kitchen table.

They've all made it through 10-12 years and 4 moves and keep going.

But the $1000 La-Z-Boy couch is 5 years old and showing signs of wear, and I probably just need to put the Target bookcases out of their misery.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I bought a really nice couch and took really good care of it.

Then I got a German Shepherd and now the couch is at least 35% unremovable dog hair despite being covered with a blanket and the dog having little interest in getting on it.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
same, but cats

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I bought an old man recliner that's upholstered in some sort of soft carpeting, because I forgot I own a springer Spanial and they moult all year round.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

We spent $2k on a couch from Crate and Barrel 9 years ago, partly because it was completely slipcovered. We have two cats that love to throw up, have hairballs, and one has IBS and the couch still is in amazing condition because we can just take off the slipcovers and wash them.

Also I won't buy secondhand soft furniture due to the risk of bedbugs.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Medullah posted:

I bought a really nice couch and took really good care of it.

Then I got a German Shepherd and now the couch is at least 35% unremovable dog hair despite being covered with a blanket and the dog having little interest in getting on it.

Same. I never thought I'd experience more hair than I did with my aussie, but the furry little kraut is in the running.

I just shouldn't count on having nice things as a dog owner unless I want to pay for a maid.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have found people are much less judgmental of the state of your hair coated clothes if your dog is white because then you can say "I have a cat"

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
You can use lint rollers on your good clothes

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My 14-year-old "Bob's Discount Furniture" loveseat is still going strong, but we had to get rid of the matching couch in one of our moves, because it couldn't make the turn in the low-ceiling, 180-degree turn stairwell. It was also the undoing of our box spring. We got rid of the rest of the bed after that too, and have been sleeping on floor futons for the last eight years now. I like it a lot, but my wife has soured on it and wants a bed again (so therefore there will be a bed :( ).

That being said, nobody anywhere will ever mistake a piece of furniture in my condo for anything other than a make-do piece. That's all it is, and probably every will be as long as I keep moving :haw:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh, your wife is completely 100% in the right and would also oddly enough also be in the right to let you keep sleeping on the floor if she saw the sad face.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sundae posted:

My 14-year-old "Bob's Discount Furniture" loveseat is still going strong, but we had to get rid of the matching couch in one of our moves, because it couldn't make the turn in the low-ceiling, 180-degree turn stairwell. It was also the undoing of our box spring. We got rid of the rest of the bed after that too, and have been sleeping on floor futons for the last eight years now. I like it a lot, but my wife has soured on it and wants a bed again (so therefore there will be a bed :( ).

That being said, nobody anywhere will ever mistake a piece of furniture in my condo for anything other than a make-do piece. That's all it is, and probably every will be as long as I keep moving :haw:

I had to cut my queen box spring frame in half, fold it, and splice it back together to get it upstairs at my house.

Also, I cut it in half because the alternative of not having a bed is crazy.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

StormDrain posted:

But what if you really, really, really need to play VR games in your studio apartment?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

But what if you really, really, really need to play VR games in your studio apartment?

Murphy bed.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've played The Sims, those things are deadly.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

StormDrain posted:

I had to cut my queen box spring frame in half, fold it, and splice it back together to get it upstairs at my house.

It's not no bed at all, it's just a floor futon. :haw:

Two of them like this side-by-side, plus sheets and everything:

I like them because I can roll them up in the morning and feel less cluttered in the room. Also, it feels great on my back.

quote:

Yeh, your wife is completely 100% in the right and would also oddly enough also be in the right to let you keep sleeping on the floor if she saw the sad face.

Yeah, it's one of those things where the person who wants a bed gets to say they have the bed. That's kinda just, how it goes. "I'm comfortable on the floor," vs "I don't like this anymore and am not comfortable" = the uncomfortable person gets to have a bed. I'll still be comfortable enough in a bed, vs she doesn't like the floor anymore.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 3, 2022

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Split boxsprings are also a thing, as many who've had to live in lovely military housing can attest to.

BWM: not listening to people who tried to warn you, buying and then giving away a boxspring from a place that wouldn't take returns for non-defective workmanship, then having to buy a split one that can fit in your place.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/npcSara/status/1576475696305537024

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Sundae posted:

I like them because I can roll them up in the morning and feel less cluttered in the room. Also, it feels great on my back.

Yeah, it's one of those things where the person who wants a bed gets to say they have the bed. That's kinda just, how it goes. "I'm comfortable on the floor," vs "I don't like this anymore and am not comfortable" = the uncomfortable person gets to have a bed. I'll still be comfortable enough in a bed, vs she doesn't like the floor anymore.

Beds Without Mattresses: Get in the Futon Futures on the Ground Floor

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

:(:respek::(

Not a fun thing to do on moving day

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sundae posted:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
The financing furniture thing (buying, not renting) tends to be good with money. Synchrony bank basically owns the market, and they'll offer you 0% on anything you want, for a variable length of time. They get paid when someone fucks up a payment or doesn't pay their whole amount due by the end of the time period, wherein their 27% interest rate kicks in as if you were paying interest for the life of the loan. They're willing to float cash at 0% for people who pay it off properly because they make insane bank on the ones that don't.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sundae posted:

Tel me you’ve lived I. Japan without telling me you’ve lived in Japan.

But it works way better on tatami and I still prefer a bed.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sundae posted:

Sighing, I unsheathe my katana

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

Tel me you’ve lived I. Japan without telling me you’ve lived in Japan.

But it works way better on tatami and I still prefer a bed.

I’ve actually never been there. I just like really hard bed surfaces. :)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sundae posted:

Just get her a bed with enough space underneath for you to sleep there. Less clutter in the room, she gets a bed, you get the floor. Everyone's happy, except possibly her if she has any childhood terrors of monsters under her bed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

rjmccall posted:

:(:respek::(

Not a fun thing to do on moving day

Reminds me of when I was in college and my roommate and I could not figure out how we got the couch inside no matter how we tried turning it to go downstairs. Like, it wasn't even close. We finally decided that the couch must have been born in the house and we just accepted it as we lived there, but it had lived it's purpose so we cut it in half with a chainsaw inside the house so we could get it out to the trash

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Medullah posted:

Reminds me of when I was in college and my roommate and I could not figure out how we got the couch inside no matter how we tried turning it to go downstairs. Like, it wasn't even close. We finally decided that the couch must have been born in the house and we just accepted it as we lived there, but it had lived it's purpose so we cut it in half with a chainsaw inside the house so we could get it out to the trash
I had some movers decide that we must have lied about getting the couch in when we moved in, so they had to destroy it to get it out.

That was not a pleasant unilateral decision to witness. But I guess I did need a nicer new couch anyway.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I had some movers decide that we must have lied about getting the couch in when we moved in, so they had to destroy it to get it out.

That was not a pleasant unilateral decision to witness. But I guess I did need a nicer new couch anyway.

I'm dreading ever moving out of this flat because a lot of my furniture was assembled in here, and the boxes alone were nightmares to get around the hallway corner.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I used to do man and van and it's one of two things, either the back slots into the sofa, (you will feel the metal prongs) and it will lift off, or and 90% of the time it's this, people forgot that when they got it in the house it didn't have it's legs/feet screwed on.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I have two 5x5 IKEA Kallax units in my apartment. I'm probably going to throw them away once it's time for me to move, because they are such a pain to try and move. They're way too big to be moved in their fully-assembled state (particularly because they aren't particularly strong when facing horizontal forces and will just break if pushed). You basically have to fully disassemble them and then carefully keep track of all the parts (or make an extremely heavy bundle out of all of them). It's an enormous hassle, and they are cheap enough that it's just easier to throw them out and buy new ones.

...at least, it used to be that they were cheap enough to throw out. I just checked IKEA's site and it looks like they're way more expensive now. I guess inflation is gonna have me bundling these massive bastards

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

njsykora posted:

I'm dreading ever moving out of this flat because a lot of my furniture was assembled in here, and the boxes alone were nightmares to get around the hallway corner.

The internet has made me believe that all Europeans just move into/out of flats by using a crane to get it out of the largest exterior window.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 3, 2022

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
While talking about rent to own, you can't miss this gem from 2005 (nearly 20 years ago which makes me want to shoot myself):

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/stories-from-renttoown/1/

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The internet has made me believe that all Europeans just move into/out of flats by using a crane to get it out of the largest exterior window.

that's what they used to move my apartment when I lived in Korea 20 years ago, it was a revelation to behold

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That’s also the upscale way to move into one of those tight rowhomes in Boston.

I couldn’t afford it, so I bought a sectional.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Just get her a bed with enough space underneath for you to sleep there. Less clutter in the room, she gets a bed, you get the floor. Everyone's happy, except possibly her if she has any childhood terrors of monsters under her bed.

Perfect. I’m sold.

(Alternative bad answer: put my futon my side of the bed, for worst of all worlds.)

Super-NintendoUser posted:

While talking about rent to own, you can't miss this gem from 2005 (nearly 20 years ago which makes me want to shoot myself):

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/stories-from-renttoown/1/

God drat, I remember when that thread was around. We’re so OLD.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I see there are at least two documentaries about the GME thing, one is on Netflix called "Eat the Rich: The Gamestop Saga" and there's an MSNBC one called "Diamond Hands: The Legend of WallStreetBets" . Has anyone here watched either of them and can comment if they're worth checking out at all? Alternatively if there's like a good Youtube video on the subject that I should just watch instead, I'm open to any and all recommendations, thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Nothing has made me as angry about living in America as the episode of Not Just Bikes that talked about this. So much loving unneeded lifting and carrying and elevator use!