Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aphrodite posted:

I get what they were going for but looking like random stills from an episode is such a bizarre choice. It looks cheap.

Actually it owns and they did the same thing for the D&D cartoon secret lair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Oh yeah that's why I didn't buy that terrible lair.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yeah, let me just say: when I say this looks like poo poo, I mean what Hasbro/WotC asked for looks like poo poo. I don't like criticizing art too heavily unless it's really warranted. The art is well composed and the artists are clearly talented. Their talents were just used to make something that looks like complete poo poo. Like, the pose/shot choices of the normal Goldberg Goldbug make it look extremely cheap and strange. Having the human dude in shot with mostly empty backgrounds makes it look like it's supposed to be Gisa and Geralt or something.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

To piggyback on this: I get that they wanted to tie it into the Shattered Glass thing they're doing in the comics as well but at least use Bumblebee for the not Shattered Glass version instead of Goldbug.

Ffs the entire point of Shattered Glass is that the Autobots are evil so having Optimus Prime, Hero with the SG treatment seems like a poor choice as well. I feel like these cards clearly weren't made for MtG fans or Transformers fans so I'm clearly not the target audience as both.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Toshimo posted:

Not true. Volta is a known good industry house and is used by plenty of big players: https://www.artstation.com/voltastudio

You may not like the direction Hasbro gave them, but they clearly did what the client wanted.

I think they're talking about the 80s transformer cartoon. Not volta studio.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Not true. Volta is a known good industry house and is used by plenty of big players: https://www.artstation.com/voltastudio

You may not like the direction Hasbro gave them, but they clearly did what the client wanted.

I meant the 1984 cartoon they're emulating is a cheap piece of poo poo that's barely acceptable at the best of times. They hired these pros to meticulously recreate the low budget style.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They look terrible

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
They certainly captured the tone of the cartoon with Spundwave ruining a basketball court for no reason, at least.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The real question is: How many of the cards are worth playing/being your Commander?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Took Bryant Cook’s Rog/Silas list (https://www.moxfield.com/decks/79hYZQUBdUaA9xD8zLX4vQ) for a spin at my weekly game and went 4/8. Figuring out how to make an Ad Naus pile work is so fun it could be a whole game on its own.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 2, 2022

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Batterypowered7 posted:

The real question is: How many of the cards are worth playing/being your Commander?

They really slow, as they try to accrue advantage through repeated converting, but most of them do it through attacking triggers, and Ratchet has a hard one per turn limit to prevent bottle gnomes infinite life loops.

If you really want too, Megatron or Flamewar are your best bets, I think.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I feel like I'm in the minority in that I really like the look of the cards and they made me smile because it hit me right in the nostalgia, but I'm still not buying them because they're not up to snuff for the level of cards I normally play.

Starscream giving monarch to the person he hits is just so good, though.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
If those starter commander decks are $20 I’ll probably buy one of each for:
#1 When impromptu magic breaks out and people didn’t bring cards, so we can each play at a comparable level, similar to the 40 card party night product they released.
#2 I’m introducing new people, and can use simple decks that I’m already familiar with to help them out.
#3 I need to purposely handicap myself against my friend’s super terrible Omnath deck that he built that is literally the worst commander deck I’ve ever played against and every unmodified precon I have is too strong for it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I would like to hear more about Bad Omnath

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Heath posted:

He took the Aesi precon and Omnath precons and mashed them together. He uses Omnath as the commander. He struggles to get Omnath out every game and can almost never play at least three lands on a turn. I don’t even really know what all is in it because he plays so few cards every game.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Heath posted:

I spent a good deal of yesterday thinking about what number people would assign various precons and what a “real 4” and a “real 1” would look like. I’m pretty sure a 1 would have 70 basic lands and as many 4-cost 1/1 creatures with progenitus at the helm and no way to produce black mana or something. I just can’t figure out how someone could make a 1 unintentionally.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think an unintentional 1 is a new player who is perpetually in magical Christmas land mode and every combo in the deck depends on having disparate, specific cards at specific times, and also they only put like 18 lands in. Also most of the combos don't work the way they're supposed to anyway

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Heath posted:

I think an unintentional 1 is a new player who is perpetually in magical Christmas land mode and every combo in the deck depends on having disparate, specific cards at specific times, and also they only put like 18 lands in. Also most of the combos don't work the way they're supposed to anyway

I feel attacked.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm working on trying to build a fairly low power level theme-y deck for when my friend from out of town comes in. He builds decks more around concepts than strategies (he's got a Norin the Wary deck, an Arcades the Strategist deck, and a Mistform Ultimus deck with some sorts of combos in it fwiw), and we just kinda play 2-player at my kitchen table. I've beaten him before with precons so that's fine in a pinch, but...

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/MOqPseUPEUGXGb9jzNlUYA

Here's kind of what I've got right now. Something slow and not aggressive at all-- in fact I don't think I really packed any way for this deck to win outside of passive shrine effects and some pumped beats from Tuvasa/anything equipped with All That Glitters. I wanted to make something that revolves more around a theme but still does something flashy and cool, just not fast or aggressive by any means.

Any thoughts on what to add or remove before tweaking the list to fit lands in?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Can't speak to gameplay or anything but I like the theme and I bet it will be satisfying to see all those thematically linked cards in a deck. Idk why but my brain gets little tingles thinking about that kind of adherence to a concept. Like a movie that overall isn't amazing but is tonally consistent and all the parts contribute to a greater, more engaging theme.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

cosmicjim posted:

He took the Aesi precon and Omnath precons and mashed them together. He uses Omnath as the commander. He struggles to get Omnath out every game and can almost never play at least three lands on a turn. I don’t even really know what all is in it because he plays so few cards every game.

Jumpstart Commander?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Not on purpose. He’s added things from outside the precon also, and has made something that performs much worse than either.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Gynovore posted:

Jumpstart Commander?

I've been doodling in my mind on the idea of a modular cube for commander, where you could select like 25 card blocks around a theme and shove them into the cube, so it's different week to week.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Went to the local store's EDH night the other night, squeaked out a win with my Minotaurs, and ended up getting a Ziatora from the SNC promo pack they were handing out, as well as a showcase Ognis, the Dragon's Lash from the booster they give on entry. I get home that night, and it turns out a buddy stopped by and dropped off the Riveteers New Capenna deck for me, since he got two when he only ordered one. So like, everything the last couple of days has been saying "build a jund deck, you nerd", and Ziatora does actually look pretty cool. I'm asking if there's anything really spicy that I should grab now before it gets expensive, or obvious throw-ins, etc., so I can go grab cards when payday hits later this week.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Heads up for any Canadian that wants the set of 4 40k for slightly less than 299 (or 450 from f2f) there is one set left at Topdeck Boucherville. Admittedly I've never ordered from them so buyer beware.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Aniodia posted:

Went to the local store's EDH night the other night, squeaked out a win with my Minotaurs, and ended up getting a Ziatora from the SNC promo pack they were handing out, as well as a showcase Ognis, the Dragon's Lash from the booster they give on entry. I get home that night, and it turns out a buddy stopped by and dropped off the Riveteers New Capenna deck for me, since he got two when he only ordered one. So like, everything the last couple of days has been saying "build a jund deck, you nerd", and Ziatora does actually look pretty cool. I'm asking if there's anything really spicy that I should grab now before it gets expensive, or obvious throw-ins, etc., so I can go grab cards when payday hits later this week.

You're a better person than I am. I would have built Beamtown Bullies instead, lol.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Aniodia posted:

Burn Ziatora and Ognis, get Korvold, build assemble the cat oven, get a soundboard with the cat doing that crazy screech from Arena.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/pi0qaIzD20iAw-KgCvKQng

Proxy the ABUR duals, obviously.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Batterypowered7 posted:

You're a better person than I am. I would have built Beamtown Bullies instead, lol.

I just don't have the really fun stuff for them, like Leveler or Eater of Days, otherwise I'd consider them. They're a lot less expensive than I remember them being, though, so I'll consider it eventually.

pseudanonymous posted:

Burn Ziatora and Ognis, get Korvold, build assemble the cat oven, get a soundboard with the cat doing that crazy screech from Arena.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/pi0qaIzD20iAw-KgCvKQng

Proxy the ABUR duals, obviously.

So two things: first, I don't have Korvold, and neither does the lgs I played at, so I'd have to wait for one to come in, and hope it's in the condition it's supposed to be. Not a huge thing, but I've been burned before on cheaper cards, so I'm a little hesitant.

Second, the buddy that bought the precon and got two bought one for his own Korvold deck, and I'm not really into trying to one-up people by playing the same Commander intentionally. If I go to the lgs, and so happen to run into someone with the same Commander, that's one thing, but to play the same Commander as someone in the usual playgroup is another.

Still, I'll definitely look at that deck and grab some of the neater stuff in there, so thanks for that.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Heath posted:

Closest to a 1 I've seen was a goblin tribal deck where most of the cards were creatures and the dude admitted he was playing I think 20 Mountains and no other lands. Guy even had a buddy come over after the game and ask "Did you put more lands in like I said?"

Poor him and the other two in our pod, I got out the Syr Konrad + Mindcrank combo that game.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

TotalHell posted:

Closest to a 1 I've seen was a goblin tribal deck where most of the cards were creatures and the dude admitted he was playing I think 20 Mountains and no other lands. Guy even had a buddy come over after the game and ask "Did you put more lands in like I said?"

Poor him and the other two in our pod, I got out the Syr Konrad + Mindcrank combo that game.

Sounds like it was a mercy.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TotalHell posted:

New players love to cut lands. They get mana flooded once and their first thought is that they have too many lands. I've seen it so many times at prereleases; they'll start at 17 and quickly go to 15 or as low as 12 lands just because they drew three in a row one game.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

LifeLynx posted:

New players love to cut lands. They get mana flooded once and their first thought is that they have too many lands. I've seen it so many times at prereleases; they'll start at 17 and quickly go to 15 or as low as 12 lands just because they drew three in a row one game.

Yeah. It's something that every player needs to learn eventually. MTG is a dumb game for idiots, and sometimes you just get hosed on lands, either by getting too many or not enough. It's just an understood thing that happens in every format. Deckbuilding is about setting the odds in your deck composition to minimize that, and playtesting to understand that one game of getting mana flooded doesn't reflect the deck's composition. More games will bear out the math more realistically.

But people deliberately sitting down to play three hour battlecruiser games aren't playing enough games to notice the law of averages work out the odds in the deck composition. They play one game and, because MTG is a dumb game for idiots, sometimes just get hosed. If they played three games in that same timeframe, they would probably not have the same result twice. Casual players often won't playtest or goldfish anything, so their live games are the only odds testing they get. And if their meta is into super slow, long games, then they're virtually not testing anything.

In conclusion, as with everything, you can blame Sheldon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE UNITED STATES DOLLARS

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Kurieg posted:

And everyone claims Wizards is anti-proxy. Why you can buy 4 packs of proxy cards for a cool thousand!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TotalHell posted:

And everyone claims Wizards is anti-proxy. Why you can buy 4 packs of proxy cards for a cool thousand!

Kurieg posted:

Lmaooooooo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think this finally broke the RC.
https://twitter.com/mtgcommander/status/1577297251512221697

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What is this referring to?

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

TotalHell posted:

lol

"None of this is legal, but we're going to pretend we don't care for a sec so you go and buy this bullshit that the Foreboding Voice in our earpiece is telling us you should buy."

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Heath posted:

What is this referring to?

X-post from the other MTG thread:

GonSmithe posted:

30th Anniversary Pack product coming. Not tournament legal, different back.

I missed pack distribution but they are packs, and each card has a new and retro frame. Each pack comes with 2 retro frame cards, 1 basic land and 1 other card in the pack, the retro slot is 3x more likely to be a Land and Dual Lands are more likely to appear in land slot.

They cost $1000 for 4 packs. Each WPN store will get 1 box free, and premium get 3 boxes free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Could you imagine that interview Sheldon had with Prof if it was held AFTER this whole bullshit announcement?

It would have been any sweaty Ted Stryker scene from Airplane.