Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toshimo posted:

You are missing that it doesn't have to be a perfect lock. You don't need to dump 10 lands. In a 6-player game, if I'm the LR player, I can gemstone->forest->2cmc land ramp, and turn 2 drop land+LR keeping counter magic open and I've basically locked everyone else out of the game until someone can force through one of the like 5 playable outs in UG to it. Are you in Mardu? Go grab a snack and wait for someone to save you. That's just bad gameplay and not at all similar to "And I slow cast an Armageddon". Honestly, I don't understand why you keep drawing the comparison.

So your scenario requires someone to have a card in their deck there is 1 of, which is generically good, a card in their deck there is one of and isn't generically good, a card there are 6 of, and 2 of a card we'll estimate there are 30 of, every other player to drop a land, and nobody to run dorks or rocks, and in that scenario, players 3-6 will only get to play 1 land, and so if you get that lock and nobody has a bounce or counterspell, or a free counterspell, or some of the free blow up an enchantment or other ways to get mana to cast something, then, yes, some people will be land-locked out of the game.

The odds of this, FYI are 0.000367, to allow for mulligans we can safely double that, I'm not going to build a monte carlo simulation to get it right just a rough hypergeometric, so that's slightly more often than one in one thousand three hundred and sixty 6-player games, and doesn't allow for other players having things like counter magic or ways to blow it up or rocks.

Oh right, and it requires you to be playing with 6 people, which is probably played less than 1% of the time, since many times at 6, it's better to do 2 pods of 3 than 1 pod of 6.

So, yes, I agree, that's bad gameplay.

It's so loving rare it doesn't matter, and 6 player pod is dumb, and if someone plays a deck that is designed to win 6 player games with a unique effect? It's so much harder to pull off than something like Maralen + Opposition agent that it's a who cares scenario to me.

I feel like this happened to you or something, and that's why you're so up in arms about it. If someone plays a deck that locks you out of the game, then just scoop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Toshimo posted:

You are missing that it doesn't have to be a perfect lock. You don't need to dump 10 lands. In a 6-player game, if I'm the LR player, I can gemstone->forest->2cmc land ramp, and turn 2 drop land+LR keeping counter magic open and I've basically locked everyone else out of the game until someone can force through one of the like 5 playable outs in UG to it. Are you in Mardu? Go grab a snack and wait for someone to save you. That's just bad gameplay and not at all similar to "And I slow cast an Armageddon". Honestly, I don't understand why you keep drawing the comparison.

Would you say Land Equilibrium is closer to LR, if the plan is to play few to no lands and a bunch of artifact mana?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
That reminds me I still need to build Go-Shintai. Though that one will be a more mid power one so I won't be running Cradle or Sanctum in there (but I DO plan on running Circle of Dreams Druid and Sanctum Weaver)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/first-look-brothers-war-2022-09-29

Cannot believe they brought back Meld, lol. Also Urza PW card(s)!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Batterypowered7 posted:

They 100000% don't endorse proxies.

When the Walking Dead Secret Lair was announced, people were complaining on Sheldon's Facebook page because supply was limited and they wouldn't be banned in Commander. I asked if they'd just let those cards be proxied and received a very firm no.

Part of me feels like it's to stay in Wizard's good graces, but part of me feels like it's because Sheldon can probably afford any cards he wants so he doesn't care if others can't afford them.

In the interview with the professor, Sheldon makes a point of saying the RC doesn't have a stance on proxies. It's not hard to read between the lines that he personally is strongly opposed to them but is probably losing that fight behind the scenes, but he does stress that the RC does not ban or approve proxies - it's a discussion for your local play group.

I also squirmed in my chair when prof asked about whether wotc had paid Sheldon and he responded that it was a personal matter. I don't know if that's just people not liking to talk about money or what, but it was kind of upsetting.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Chakan posted:

In the interview with the professor, Sheldon makes a point of saying the RC doesn't have a stance on proxies. It's not hard to read between the lines that he personally is strongly opposed to them but is probably losing that fight behind the scenes, but he does stress that the RC does not ban or approve proxies - it's a discussion for your local play group.

I also squirmed in my chair when prof asked about whether wotc had paid Sheldon and he responded that it was a personal matter. I don't know if that's just people not liking to talk about money or what, but it was kind of upsetting.

He strikes me as the type of person who would feel like the person playing with a proxied card doesn't deserve to play with the card because they didn't buy it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chakan posted:

That's real weird because he's had an official paid position at WotC in the past, and if they weren't paying him for running EDH, I'd be mad at WotC, because they've stiffed people before, and as much as I hate Sheldon, I'm not going to let capital off the hook for not remunerating labor.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
New Starter Commander decks scheduled for release on December 2, 2022.

All allied color pairs, with reprinted commanders. Looks like it's meant to be an entry-level product for people new to Commander.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Portal Commander?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully these aren't the intro decks/Planeswalker decks of Commander. Last thing anyone needs is more precons loaded with boring chaff.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Framboise posted:

Hopefully these aren't the intro decks/Planeswalker decks of Commander. Last thing anyone needs is more precons loaded with boring chaff.

After seeing the face commanders I'm not getting my hopes up. They'll probably be filled with cheap cards so greedy LGS owners don't mark them up and so that the mtgfinance people don't clear them off the shelves.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Toshimo posted:

That's real weird because he's had an official paid position at WotC in the past, and if they weren't paying him for running EDH, I'd be mad at WotC, because they've stiffed people before, and as much as I hate Sheldon, I'm not going to let capital off the hook for not remunerating labor.

100%. WotC is almost always the worse in a pair of dubious actors. Sheldon might be a goober who doesn't run the format like we would prefer and takes too much credit for things, but WotC is out there scamming people on every side of every transaction on a daily basis.

That is, until this nuTSR lawsuit. That poo poo is so vile that it makes WotC the hero of the story by default. That's a staggering statement until you read anything about nuTSR's books.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, I'm expecting these to have low reprint value to discourage enfranchised players from buying them. I imagine anything in here that a longtime player could want will be stuff they've either already got, or could be easily picked up as singles on the secondary market.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dockside and Deflecting Swat in every red deck, Fierce Guardianship and Rhystic Study in every blue deck, uh... Smothering Tithe in every white deck? Parallel Lives in every green deck and Demonic Tutor in every black deck. Also ABUR duals in every deck.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Framboise posted:

They're starter commander decks, why wouldn't they be this? All of those commanders with maybe the exception of Kardur are very straightforward play lines for people who aren't deep into the game.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Oh boy, a new whale hunting mechanic!

quote:

Great question; lazy writing device. For the first time in a Magic booster product, we're introducing serialized versions of cards that will list how many exist, and which one you have. For example, we're printing 500 of each serialized retro schematic—which feature what we're calling double-rainbow foiling—in The Brothers' War Collector Boosters. Each one will be numbered with their number out of 500, and they'll only be available in Collector Boosters! (Non-serialized schematic artwork versions will be available, too.) It's certainly an exciting time to be a collector.

At least it'll likely be like Kamigawa's Hidegetsu, where the regular version is available for less than a dollar, but the fancy chase neon red one goes for over a thousand?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

They're starter commander decks, why wouldn't they be this? All of those commanders with maybe the exception of Kardur are very straightforward play lines for people who aren't deep into the game.

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I'm expecting these to have low reprint value to discourage enfranchised players from buying them. I imagine anything in here that a longtime player could want will be stuff they've either already got, or could be easily picked up as singles on the secondary market.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Dockside and Deflecting Swat in every red deck, Fierce Guardianship and Rhystic Study in every blue deck, uh... Smothering Tithe in every white deck? Parallel Lives in every green deck and Demonic Tutor in every black deck. Also ABUR duals in every deck.

I never said the decks needed top-tier reprints, especially if they're going for a lower price point, why interpret what I said in that way?

As far as I see it, starter products should, you know, come with a good handful of cards that you could use to make other decks with once you're ready to branch out. There's a LOT of good cards out there <$2 that will serve you well.

I would be disappointed, however, to see these decks full of overcosted vanilla/french vanilla creatures and weak interaction that does way too little for its cost.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Framboise posted:

That reminds me I still need to build Go-Shintai. Though that one will be a more mid power one so I won't be running Cradle or Sanctum in there (but I DO plan on running Circle of Dreams Druid and Sanctum Weaver)

I built one for my casual group and it's pretty drat fun and has a tendency to over run my group fairly quickly as alot of the cards are hard to answer. Though I do run my Cradle in it and is I had a Sanctum I would too.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Framboise posted:

I never said the decks needed top-tier reprints, especially if they're going for a lower price point, why interpret what I said in that way?

I've been following the thread for a few months and the culture seems to be - interpret every post as a vile lie made by your worst enemy

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

the culture seems to be - interpret every post as a vile lie made by your worst enemy

Welcome to the EDH community!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

big cummers ONLY posted:

I've been following the thread for a few months and the culture seems to be - interpret every post as a vile lie made by your worst enemy

That's talking about Magic on social media in a nutshell.

Framboise posted:

As far as I see it, starter products should, you know, come with a good handful of cards that you could use to make other decks with once you're ready to branch out. There's a LOT of good cards out there <$2 that will serve you well.

I would be disappointed, however, to see these decks full of overcosted vanilla/french vanilla creatures and weak interaction that does way too little for its cost.

Coming back to Commander after a nearly three year hiatus, I am very happy to see the amount of staples that are now under $2. Some are because of reprints, some are because the format has gotten faster and 7-8 mana bombs aren't as good anymore, etc. If the decks form a good starting point that'd be excellent. The face commanders are all weak, but they all have clear themes that are well-supported and so new players can easily find upgrades.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

big cummers ONLY posted:

I feel like people have forgotten just how bad intro/planeswalker decks were. Decks full of lovely cards you wouldn't even pick in Limited, much less Standard, a face bulk rare/crappy exclusive planeswalker that was extremely overcosted and did very little of interest. And before anyone says they're for kitchen table play... I've played kitchen table magic with them before. It's so horribly clunky and dull, hardly what I'd consider to be something to entice new players into the game.

In fact the first Magic product I bought was this:

Absolute trash, and I was aware of it as soon as I sat down to play it for the first time. This wasn't what got me into Magic-- throwing this stupid thing aside and doing some research so I could build something that at least did something fun was. I think the first deck I ever built myself was a deck that revolved around Palladium Myr and 2 Myr Galvanizers to make infinite mana for an uncounterable Banefire. It was still terrible! But it still won me a couple FNM games and was a lot more exciting to play.

That was like $15 at the time and came with 2 packs at least.

If a precon deck designed for brand new players doesn't do anything fun or exciting, or at least have some decent cheap staples, I can only see it going one of two ways: one, it ends up getting shoved in a closet somewhere because the buyer lost interest, or two, people with brainworms like me throw it aside and build something better, annoyed that they wasted their money on junk because they didn't know any better, with little to take from it to apply elsewhere.

The commander precons they've been putting out more recently (in the last 2 years or so, probably starting around Ikoria?) have been way better designed than they used to be and feel way better to play. I've still got a stack of precons I've left completely unmodified because I feel like they'd be fun to play against each other/would be fine to bring to a very casual table and still hold their own.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

disaster pastor posted:

Welcome to SomethingAwful dot com!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Chakan posted:

He tweeted a follow-up to this

https://twitter.com/SheldonMenery/status/1575246235673702400?s=20&t=_1_3UpEZRBq3EgAbgbNrIA

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

I wasn't poking fun at you. I was just facetiously demanding reprints of expensive cards in all Commander products.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
edit: already said

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Chakan posted:

See, I read the opposite between the lines. Say what you will about Sheldon but he clearly cares about the health of the format, and in a vacuum all players should have unrestricted access to all cards, so they can build what they want, but he has such a close working relationship with WotC that he can't just come out and say "just proxy lul" without getting himself in trouble.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

He has to clarify they haven’t been paid for their RC work, but Sheldon has consulted on product for wotc before (around Strixhaven) which I imagine was a paying gig.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Balon posted:

He has to clarify they haven’t been paid for their RC work, but Sheldon has consulted on product for wotc before (around Strixhaven) which I imagine was a paying gig.

As a former judge, Sheldon should be very familiar with donating labor to a megacorp. What a shitter.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/transformers-mtg-cards-to-show-up-in-the-brothers-war-booster-packs/

Alright, some of these look cool (mechanically).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If the Gisa & Geralf precon has Lord of the Undead and/or Necroduality in it, I'll pick one up for my dimir zombies deck, but that's about it

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I saw some of these recently, but the treatment was so bad I immediately thought it was a fan card. Woof. Shameless brand management baloney aside, these things visually look like poo poo. Only the non-showcase Flamewar looks remotely decent.

On the other hand, having Starscream involve the Monarch is pretty inspired, like giving Chun-Li Mulitikicker.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

I saw some of these recently, but the treatment was so bad I immediately thought it was a fan card. Woof. Shameless brand management baloney aside, these things visually look like poo poo. Only the non-showcase Flamewar looks remotely decent.

On the other hand, having Starscream involve the Monarch is pretty inspired, like giving Chun-Li Mulitikicker.

Maybe the in-universe versions will have really good art to make up for it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They said it was all new art but they were intentionally trying to ape the style of the 80s cartoon for the non-showcase cards.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Sheldon: "try playing with prime-time and you'll understand why it's banned" *smirks*

Who cares about 4gg creatures that don't win the game on the spot when you can spend uub and win the game?

The meta has evolved considerably from 10 years ago when prime time dominated.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kurieg posted:

They said it was all new art but they were intentionally trying to ape the style of the 80s cartoon for the non-showcase cards.

I get what they were going for but looking like random stills from an episode is such a bizarre choice. It looks cheap.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Aphrodite posted:

I get what they were going for but looking like random stills from an episode is such a bizarre choice. It looks cheap.

Hasbro went cheap, they outsourced the cartoon like hell to the lowest bidder.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

How meta!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

th3t00t posted:

Sheldon: "try playing with prime-time and you'll understand why it's banned" *smirks*

Who cares about 4gg creatures that don't win the game on the spot when you can spend uub and win the game?

The meta has evolved considerably from 10 years ago when prime time dominated.

The overwhelming majority of commander players have no idea what the meta even is, never mind caring about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Not true. Volta is a known good industry house and is used by plenty of big players: https://www.artstation.com/voltastudio

You may not like the direction Hasbro gave them, but they clearly did what the client wanted.