Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Folks, why the hell is it forecast to be 22 and no rain for like two weeks straight in BC in October?

October 1st means you are legally supposed to have your winter tires on in certain areas lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The only thing you need to bring with you on a trail hike is a PLB. instead of getting lost for three days and almost dying why not just send an SOS to come pick you up

Leroy Diplowski posted:

We had a professional dog walker get lost with a bunch of her clientes dogs a couple of years back and it took them 3 days to find her. She was drinking out of streams to survive and huddling with the dogs for warmth at night.

Awww doggie cuddling though :3:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Leroy Diplowski posted:

This is true, where I live if you get going the wrong way you are going to be walking for days without crossing a road and that's if you get lucky. It's much more likely to hit the ocean or the mountains. We had a professional dog walker get lost with a bunch of her clientes dogs a couple of years back and it took them 3 days to find her. She was drinking out of streams to survive and huddling with the dogs for warmth at night.

this poor woman was out living her best life and then got cornered in the woods by a search party and had to pretend she was lost the whole time

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
my dad has gotten contacted by 8 contracting companies who want to rent his place in cape coral for three months straight to house their work crews.

the problem is that they need running water and power to house the crew, and only 15 of 40,000 houses in south Cape Coral currently have power.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The only thing you need to bring with you on a trail hike is a PLB. instead of getting lost for three days and almost dying why not just send an SOS to come pick you up

Buy me one, rich guy!

Real talk is there a reason to take a PLB over a Sat+GPS Phone? Priced in the same range

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/NHC_Pacific/status/1576591755142569984
cat 4 rolling into mexico

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Pryor on Fire posted:

Been hiking more days than not for many decades, I have never needed to render first aid or give water to a random person on the trail before. Can't think of a time I've ever needed a knife once either.

Basically everything you learn from boy scouts is useless dead weight.

truly, if you have never had to give someone first aid, no one should take first aid kits.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

WoodrowSkillson posted:

truly, if you have never had to give someone first aid, no one should take first aid kits.

If you want to waste all your time shopping for and fiddling with gear instead of just going outside then go for it, most people seem to enjoy that part more anyway.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you want to waste all your time shopping for and fiddling with gear instead of just going outside then go for it, most people seem to enjoy that part more anyway.

Lmao how do you think it is hard to get a first aid kit, here I did it for you
https://www.rei.com/product/708124/adventure-medical-kits-ultralightwatertight-5-medical-kit

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lmao how do you think it is hard to get a first aid kit, here I did it for you
https://www.rei.com/product/708124/adventure-medical-kits-ultralightwatertight-5-medical-kit

I‘ve been walking my whole life and I’ve never even heard of most of these. Didn’t know how badly I needed benzoin and aspirin out on the hills! Not to mention plenty of bandages for all the many times I cut myself while walking (moving feet forward many times).

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

Jon glaser loves gear was such a good show

SARS-Cordyceps
May 15, 2022

by vyelkin
The best preparation is knowing what to do with equipment, not having it. Still bring a flashlight for when you accidentally are still hiking after sundown.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Buy me one, rich guy!

Real talk is there a reason to take a PLB over a Sat+GPS Phone? Priced in the same range

The PLB is supposed to go straight to rescuers but if you can get a sat phone for just as much it seems like that'd be preferable yeah. As long as you have some way of telling people you need help and them knowing where you are

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
if you plan ahead, you’re prepared when things happen

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

I‘ve been walking my whole life and I’ve never even heard of most of these. Didn’t know how badly I needed benzoin and aspirin out on the hills! Not to mention plenty of bandages for all the many times I cut myself while walking (moving feet forward many times).

You're right no one has ever had a headache or muscle soreness on a camping trip, taking some aspirin is just insane over preparation. And no one has needed a bandage after tripping and falling (moving feet forward never ever fails and no one has ever twisted an ankle in the woods)

Why are you people just determined to one day be asked for help by someone and just have to shrug. Get a cheap, lightweight kit, put it in the bottom of your pack and forget about it until it's needed. I always have it with me in the woods since I'm bringing a small daybag anyway to carry water, some snacks, and a coat of it might rain.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I filled my first aid kit with drugs and alcohol in case I hurt myself in the woods and have to pass the time until rescue

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

mawarannahr posted:

benzoin is great and good to have in every day med kits as well as hiking supplies!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I filled my first aid kit with drugs and alcohol in case I hurt myself in the woods and have to pass the time until rescue

my hiking med kits are full of expired vicodin from dentist stuff but hopefully so I can walk back to whatever on a twisted ankle (and hopefully no worse)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

"i dont want to bring water into the bush" seems like an odd hill to die on and also makes dying in the hills more likely to happen

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

the toxic machismo of florida stay behinds vs hikers: cspam sunday roundtable

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

slave to my cravings posted:

if you plan ahead, you’re prepared when things happen

ridiculous. things would never happen to me

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

is that the "dudes who won't wear helmets on motorcycles" music?!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
lmao I agree if your hiking trip is the “trail” around greenlake you prob don’t need to bring anything

anyway nice 80F couple of days to kick off October

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

krispykremessuck posted:

lmao I agree if your hiking trip is the “trail” around greenlake you prob don’t need to bring anything

anyway nice 80F couple of days to kick off October

The arboretum can be deceptively challenging. Rhododendron Glen is littered with the bones of parched trekkers who encountered no one but the unprepared.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have a flashlight, a rain poncho, some honey, a sewing kit, and a basic first aid kit with me essentially all the time.

Saved my rear end enough it's worth the 136g of extra weight.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
What's that? You went hiking in the desert mountains, got injured, and need an airlift rescue?

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Thesaurus posted:

In San Juan PR, there is a beautiful stretch of beach right in the most popular tourist area (condado) that is lined with famous and fancy hotels. That beach also happens to be a death trap, with bad breaks and notorious rip tides. Tourists drown there on a regular basis, but you wouldn't know it from how they show off the area. the hotel and tourism industry does a good job keeping the deaths on the DL. They posted a few signs (away from the shore itself) proclaiming that you shouldn't swim there, but of course the hotels put out beach chairs and do nothing to stop anyone from going in. No lifeguards, either, although there have been enough deaths that they're recently warming up to the idea of finding a few ( except that lifeguards shouldn't be at a beach that you're not supposed to swim in...) The other big idea is for *someone* to pay to construct an artificial reef to disrupt the rip currents, and also to stop the continuous erosion that has been eating away st the $$$ properties for years. Meanwhile, it's business as usual and the locals know to stay away

Mountains too. The Maroon Bells aka The Deadly Bells hit that sweet spot of iconic, gorgeous, and accessible. People have no idea wtf Class 3 or 4 terrain really means: it's exposure, basically the same as walking around on a pitched roof. Class 3 means you fall and you'll probably have a bad time, class 4 means you fall and there's a pretty good chance you die. But if you don't fall, it's not really a big deal.

Maroon Bells have that sort of exposure and they're also composed of a pretty crumbly sort of rock, cool!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Forseti posted:

Mountains too. The Maroon Bells aka The Deadly Bells hit that sweet spot of iconic, gorgeous, and accessible. People have no idea wtf Class 3 or 4 terrain really means: it's exposure, basically the same as walking around on a pitched roof. Class 3 means you fall and you'll probably have a bad time, class 4 means you fall and there's a pretty good chance you die. But if you don't fall, it's not really a big deal.

Maroon Bells have that sort of exposure and they're also composed of a pretty crumbly sort of rock, cool!

Those are very pretty mountains

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Forseti posted:

How would they fall you just put a foot in front of the other

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Since we're still on hiking chat. Years ago I did a 3 day canoe trip with my brother on fisheating creek. The last natural tribitary flowing Into lake Okeechobee. It's an utterly magical wonderland of tannin stained water slowly flowing through a maze of live oaks strutting bromeliads with swallow tailed kites wheeling overhead.

We didn't take much food because we planned to fish for most meals. The fishing was indeed excellent and the first night I caught and cooked up half dozen or so sunfish and bass. My brother decided he was still hungry but I was feeling lazy so I told him to go catch himself another fish and he could clean it and cook it. He's pretty good natured so he grabbed a pole and before long had brought in a substantial bass. When he went to clean it he grabbed this ridiculous army combat Bowie knife thing that he had recently bought as part of an "internet knife guy" phase.

He stabbed the fish in the head to kill it, but missed the brain and it gave one final flop toppling it off the log we were using as a prep table. Without thinking he reflexively grabbed for the fish, but grabbed the blade of this absurdly sharp enormous knife sticking in the fishes head instead.

I turned to look right at this time and I saw it all in slow motion. It was like a movie the blood just sprayed from his hand in an arc spattering all over his shirt.

Luckily we had packed some triangle bandages and betadine wipes. We able to clean and dress the wound that went from the base of his forefinger to his wrist. I of course had to paddle the entire rest of the way myself and he bought me a case of beer. He still has a scar but his hand did return to working order after a few weeks.

I don't really know if there's a moral to the story other than I'm in the mood to post camping stories.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

I have a flashlight, a rain poncho, some honey, a sewing kit, and a basic first aid kit with me essentially all the time.

Saved my rear end enough it's worth the 136g of extra weight.

Honey, famous for saving asses

Noita
Oct 2, 2022

by Hand Knit
post your daily carry

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Re: survival kits, I can't find it online now so I'll have to find mine and take a picture, but I have one that has like a few safety pins, some string, a signal mirror, a credit card size magnifier, a scalpel blade, tin foil, and a little card with basic first aid/survival instructions on it. It's about the size of an altoids tin, but in one of those beefy ziploc-ish bags. That's the kind of thing I'd say toss in your pocket, it's really no bigger than a cell phone so why not?

I carried one the whole time I hiked the PCT, and of course didn't use it a single time. But I also forgot it was there for the most part. Also, keep it in your pocket, not in your pack, it's pretty easy to kick your pack off a ledge or have to ditch it crossing water. Which reminds me, unbuckle your pack when you cross water in case you need to ditch it. Ideally cross water with other people where you're all holding on to each other, it's remarkably easy to get knocked over when you're walking on slippery rocks in anything more than a foot and a half or so deep.

Now of course when I search "pocket survival kit" the kits are all massive and have knives and poo poo :lol:

:capitalism:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

SirPablo posted:

What's that? You went hiking in the desert mountains, got injured, and need an airlift rescue?

Hope you got the membership plan!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dog Case posted:

Hope you got the membership plan!

“financial peace of mind.” lmao

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Forseti posted:

Re: survival kits, I can't find it online now so I'll have to find mine and take a picture, but I have one that has like a few safety pins, some string, a signal mirror, a credit card size magnifier, a scalpel blade, tin foil, and a little card with basic first aid/survival instructions on it. It's about the size of an altoids tin, but in one of those beefy ziploc-ish bags. That's the kind of thing I'd say toss in your pocket, it's really no bigger than a cell phone so why not?

I carried one the whole time I hiked the PCT, and of course didn't use it a single time. But I also forgot it was there for the most part. Also, keep it in your pocket, not in your pack, it's pretty easy to kick your pack off a ledge or have to ditch it crossing water. Which reminds me, unbuckle your pack when you cross water in case you need to ditch it. Ideally cross water with other people where you're all holding on to each other, it's remarkably easy to get knocked over when you're walking on slippery rocks in anything more than a foot and a half or so deep.

Now of course when I search "pocket survival kit" the kits are all massive and have knives and poo poo :lol:

:capitalism:

I mean I just searched "Altoid Survival kit" and got a bunch that were super basic using an altoid tin as a carrier. idk which ones are good/bad and don't want to look through them, though

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I mean I just searched "Altoid Survival kit" and got a bunch that were super basic using an altoid tin as a carrier. idk which ones are good/bad and don't want to look through them, though

the most important part of any sort of kit is just knowing how to use the stuff in it. be sure to practice doing all the things the stuff is supposed to be good for on the reg or at least before you do an activity where you'd possibly need the kit. this is doubly true for medical supplies. it's good learn how to use things before you have to use them in an emergency, the most powerful survival tool of all is ~*knowledge*~

practicing skills will also help you suss out if your kit is useless junk or not or maybe you see some bits of it suck and customize it with better stuff the sky is the limit (I have had a lot of junk kits :smith:)

Marzzle has issued a correction as of 18:37 on Oct 2, 2022

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Yeah I saw a sardine can one that didn't look too bad, but I didn't see any with the card, and as Marzzle is saying, knowing how to use it is a big deal. The card was really good, it was packed with info in tiny print, the magnifier was included both so you could read the card and as a means to make fire, although I would agree with the advice to always just carry a bic lighter too.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
In other news only vaguely related to weather taking a wilderness first aid course is pretty fun and the knowledge you gain weighs nothing and is always with you. I've used things I learned from that course more often is situations that had nothing to do with wilderness. Just basic poo poo like what to do is someone gets debris In their eye is so useful.

The classes themselves are pretty fun. There's usually a classroom day which is kind of meh depending on your passion for giving CPR to dummies. But then there's a couple of days of going out into the woods and LARPing various accident scenarios and those are a lot of fun. Especially because these classes select for people with a lot of common interests in the outdoors and the desire to help their fellows. We would take turns playing the rescuer and the victim and some of the scenarios felt really real.

One of my classmates was this 75 yr old japanese lady who was part of some old ladies hiking group. She got really into the scenarios and in one had to play a kayaker who had capsized and struck their head on a rock presenting washed up on the side of there river unconscious.

When my group walked up on her in the woods we immediately shared going through the ABC's and when I went to open her mouth to check her airway it was full of oatmeal (intended to simulate vomit blocking the airway). Something about the smell of old oatmeal that an old lady had been holding in her mouth for the last 10 mins and the intensity of the situation hit me and I started gagging but I knew what we were supposed to do so I reached in with my finger and dug the oatmeal out of this lady's mouth. Of course she started convulsing and spat most of the oatmeal all over me as was part of the scenario.

In another scenario I was a mountain biker who sended it into a ravine and broke his leg. The instructor brought bloody stage makeup and did me up a nice tibia fracture with the bone portruding out of my skin. The scenario took like an hour because the rescuers were supposed to splint me and extract me from the ravine. By the time we got to the debrief I was so in character that I forgot my leg wasn't really broken until one of my classmates was like "hey why are you still hobbling around on your makeshift crutch?"

Not sure if I'm really selling the idea of taking a wilderness first aid course but I'm still in the mood to post stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mawarannahr posted:

Honey, famous for saving asses

I'm diabetic, dumbass.