Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CsTheDay
Oct 17, 2012
Anyone got tips for Magical Vacation on the GBA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anything big for Potion Pemit? Mainly stuff like oh make sure you plant blueberries on the 7th or else you wont have them for Mayor Snufflepuff's big day or something.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anything for Phantom Doctrine?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Anything for Phantom Doctrine?
Outside of missions, lone agents are vulnerable to getting ambushed, so make sure you have your agents travel in teams of two. There are some guaranteed ambushes at a few points as well, so make sure to have all your agents geared up.

You want to spread your teams around the map as much as possible so you can respond to suspicious activities fast enough to interrupt enemy ops or perform tactical recon.

Carrying agents, whether friendly or hostile, pauses their bleedout timer.

If you want to do a mission, you absolutely want to do tactical recon first if at all possible. It lets you have disguised agents and support crew like spotters or snipers.

Enemies and civilians don't give a poo poo about broken windows. You're free to to dive through as many as you like in full view of guards as long as they don't see you step into restricted areas undisguised.

An agent can perform silent takedown on enemies with HP less than or equal to the agent's current HP. So you probably want to have your agents with the highest HP use disguises - they're more likely to be able to quietly deal with enemy agents in restricted areas.

Once you kill or knock out all enemy agents on a mission, you're free to knock out as many guards or civilians as you want, provided you're on a difficulty where you can dispose of bodies. If you're on Hard, try to only drop pests in areas where they won't be spotted by patrols or bystanders.

Don't worry about conflicts between the body engineering chemical compounds you juice your agents up with - you eventually get the ability to remove them. So drug your agents early and often.

Always keep a few thousand bucks in reserve for when you need to move your HQ and/or give a few agents new identities.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 28, 2022

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Quote is not edit.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Thanks!

Is there an update log somewhere in the game? I got some rewards popping up when I completed some threads on the board, but I missed what two of them were and after I'd clicked in to see the new agent I'd got, couldn't figure out what else I'd received!

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Is there an update log somewhere in the game? I got some rewards popping up when I completed some threads on the board, but I missed what two of them were and after I'd clicked in to see the new agent I'd got, couldn't figure out what else I'd received!
I don't think so, unfortunately. Especially because there are a lot of things it could be:

- More secret files/intel
- Manufacturing Blueprints
- Training type unlock
- Equipment Trade Permits
- Enemy agent info
- Enemy cell locations
- Chemical Compounds

In the early game, it's probably not the last two, at least.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015
I just finished playing Symphony of War: the Nephilim Saga, an overall cool strategy game which is a weird mix of Fire Emblem and Ogre Battle and which is absolutely rotten with mechanics that aren't explained well or at all. Here's a few pointers:

- All units do full damage regardless of what rank they're in, and all units behave the same way on offense no matter where they're positioned in a squad. You can freely put heavy infantry units in the back rank to intercept rogues and assassins without compromising your offense.

- Magic units will have decreased efficacy the more times they activate in a single turn. This is why your priestess seems to be healing for less and less and you're getting more nervous as an enemy turn continues. Their efficacy will return to full at the end of the turn.

- You will be able to unlock the entire tech tree at maximum faction rank.

- When a squad begins a volley, they will follow in sequence based on unit type, with firearms and mages resolving before melee and healers going last. This has a lot of significance for whether a squad will annihilate an enemy squad, or merely cripple it (and both of those outcomes are useful at times).

- Later in the game, enemy units begin gaining access to some of the tech off the tech tree and the game just flat out won't tell you that this is happening. Most fun of all is when they get the tech that allows firearms units to fire twice in one combat, which is probably going to end up killing units that you sent out with the entirely reasonable expectation that they'd be fine since they could weather one volley. Enjoy!

- Non-major portrait characters (e.g. Jaromir, Narima, Raskuja, etc.) are usually required to be squad leaders when you first get them and for some time after, but almost all of them can eventually be disbanded and added to another squad as desired. The only way to find out when will be to check after each new mission.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Played some Deathverse: Let It Die so here are some things to note since it's a multi-player game.

- Movement is like LID except there is no stamina to concern yourself with, so you can sprint as long as you want. This also means so can everyone else. There is also a wall jump to reach higher ledges and fall damage does not exist.

- Familiarize yourself with your given weapon. The game hands you the machete to start with (which is the most straightforward weapon class of the five currently available at time of writing) and there's a training room with all sub-weapons and mushrooms so you can adjust to what situation you want to prepare for.

- In order to make things, you've gotta either find materials out on the field or you need to perform well enough that the materials are handed to you as a bonus.

- Just because you've taken down five different players in a match to gain maximum attack power does not mean the guy who has been hiding in a bush all game can't ruin your day by shoving you over the ledge and out of bounds. Don't get complacent in a fight and mind where you're standing.

- There are AI Hunters in this game that appear like a minute in. If they spot you, you need to hustle out of there and find some cover because they will not stop unless you do hide, they kill you, or until they run out of time. You cannot hurt them at all and you will die if you attempt to do so. In the event you're not the victim, they will leave the field and leave behind a goodie you can pick up for a ton of GP and thus a lot of attack power. Keep in mind anyone with the same idea will also go for it.

- As the match goes on, areas will close up thanks to poison that will kill you quickly. If you and anyone else is still alive at the very end, there is a Final Showdown arena. If you do not make it before it is closed, you will instantly die.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Finished a small and fun puzzle game with some light platforming & metroidvania aspects: Backworlds

- You don't need to finish each puzzle to finish the game / make progress, if something's not clicking there's nothing stopping you from moving on (after the short and pretty straightforward intro/tutorial)

- The story is extremely minimal / light. Don't push through the puzzle gameplay of you're not enjoying it - there is only more puzzle gameplay

- The white / colourless puzzles are end-game content

- After the introduction there are no hints / instructions (or they are very minimal & environmental). The community isn't very active & there's not many good guides or complete walkthroughs, so if you are a compulsive completionist this might not be a game you'll enjoy

- Like many puzzle games, there's a lot of small 'Aha' moment to clear specific puzzles, but they're still fun to solve if you need the initial push from a guide/walkthrough/hint from the community to get over a specific 'Aha' moment

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

This is as good a place a any to ask, because I'm feeling like I'm playing Two Point Hospital wrong, maybe?

Is room size important at all, like with diagnosis or treatment chance of success? I've gone through like 80% of the campaign now and I've even 3 starred some hospitals, and the only reason for me to go beyond the minimum size requirements for rooms is either to fill in a gap or it's a ward or whatever that handles multiple patients at a time. Like my GP offices are all the same 3x3 prestige level 2 rooms with 5 medicine cabinets lining one wall and heating/cooling, a bin and hand sanitizer. Does prestige level factor into diagnosis/treatment success or is just a staff happiness thing?

But I feel like either I'm actually good at this game or that I'm playing it wrong. I'm doing Roquefort Castle now and it's huge, and I looked up the requirements for getting the stars and already got the first, but I'm only using like 1/5th of the available space and I'm already at the hospital value requirement for the two star, needing only 1,5mil for the third star. They're giving me so much more space than I actually need?

Also I feel like the reception room and the cafeteria are a trap? The reception area is kinda useful in those wave levels where you get dozens of patients at once but in regular levels it seems fine to just have two or three desks, and the cafeteria simply doesn't add any benefit over having vending machines and some entertainment scattered throughout the hospital. I never even tried it because I feel like pulling the patients away from where they're diagnosed/treated is a bad thing.

When I look at screenshots of the game on google images or whatever (I haven't watched any letsplays) I see these 'realistic' hospitals where they have fairly large rooms, but it's like 4-6 rooms per building/segment and it's laid out very spaciously, whereas my hospitals are just 2 space wide corridors lines with rooms at their minimum requirements and it's super efficient and just works? Maybe it's a different way of playing the game. When I play Sim City or City Skylines for example I find those games to be so easy that the challenge is in making the city look realistic, but I find that the realism in Two Point Hospital leads me to make it as efficient as possible. When I look at those online examples it's just not right either way: too roomy for realism and too inefficient with regards to the game mechanics, you know?

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
If anyone has any beginner tips for Ys IX: Monstrum Nox , I would greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

homewrecker posted:

If anyone has any beginner tips for Ys IX: Monstrum Nox , I would greatly appreciate it, thanks in advance.

I just started that myself.

Flash Guard is incredibly overpowered. Not only does it negate damage from any source, it buffs your damage. You can even re-guard during a longer attack like a flamethrower.

Side quests listed as "short" need to be done immediately or they'll fail. Those and "people entries" in the Journal are the only missable content in game.

Creating a save file when you hit a restore point (telegraphed boss fight) will save you from progressing too far and failing, but there's no easy way to tell you missed a character note.

You'll have to be thorough in checking the local map in the districts and revisiting your home base if you're trying for completionism

Vadun fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 3, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I haven't played IX yet, but all of that's pretty consistent with how the series as a whole is. The devs really love missable content.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homewrecker posted:

There's a side quest for collecting little blue things hidden around the city. You'll eventually unlock the ability to see them through walls so don't stress too much about finding them all early.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Taeke posted:

This is as good a place a any to ask, because I'm feeling like I'm playing Two Point Hospital wrong, maybe?

It's not a particularly difficult game, more an efficiency puzzle - a lot of times it's easy to get to three star with a minimum hospital and time. There are some tougher levels, like one where patients don't give you money, but otherwise it's not too bad and you have all the freedom to design hospitals as you like. They may not be particularly good, but they're enough to succeed.

Prestige is used to make patients and staff happy. Better prestige rooms mean they're happier while in that room. Reception is the same way - assistants will remain happy if at a nice reception desk/room rather than that little desk thing. Plus you can assign multiple people to a single room, but only one to a desk.

Cafes I'm not sure about. I think they're easier to manage since janitors don't need to come by to restock them like vending machines, and keep people from crowding your hallways. I rarely use them though.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Hello someone please type out some words about They Are Billions thank you and god bless.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anything on Gloomhaven? I've played the boardgame a bit (would welcome a heads up if something's notably different in the PC version though), but please don't spoil me on the campaign.

Also, Age of Decadence.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Anything on Gloomhaven? I've played the boardgame a bit (would welcome a heads up if something's notably different in the PC version though), but please don't spoil me on the campaign.

Also, Age of Decadence.

Main thing I can think of for Age of Decadence is to save your level ups. The game is reliant on hard skill checks for a lot of quests and options and having a few points to spend when you need them will save your life.

Other than that, don't get into combat if you can help it unless you have a combat-focused character. Most characters will get into a fight or two, max, and these will probably be hard and frustrating enough - if you pick an optional fight make sure you've thought through your decision.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Also, Age of Decadence.

Combat is go all-in or nothing, and dodge is, I think, actually broken as a skill so it doesn't work. You will get permanent armor damage from almost every fight requiring expensive repairs constantly. Combat is wholly unrewarding and unfun for anything short of a 100% martial playthrough.

You pretty much have to go 100% in on your character specializations, a hybrid character to see all the content is literally min-maxing every single encounter and save-scumming until you get the best starting outcome.

The social skill playthroughs are worth it, and if you like them enough you can follow a guide for a hybrid playthrough to see all the various path specific/hard to find content like the 'correct' lore and such.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Alris posted:

Hello someone please type out some words about They Are Billions thank you and god bless.

- This is a very macro game. Your constant cycle of upgrades is going to be food > housing > food > housing. You need bodies and gold for good soldiers so don't let the houses fall by the wayside. Any resources that aren't used are wasted once you hit the cap (until you unlock the market) so don't be afraid to spend it.

- Early on when walls are expensive it's fine to set one archer on a patrol path between two hard terrain points to serve as a wall. If you make a square with them around your early city you can protect it from doomspiraling due to single zeds getting in. After that it's okay to build walls and just use a roaming band of archers to take down zeds nibbling on it.

- One zombie getting into your base will end a run so make sure you actually do the above. Don't just range out a bit, go "they're far away, it's fine" and then ignore that side until you look back and find that your housing block got infected, each tent spawning four more zeds.

- Build houses in rows and leave some space, later buildings give adjacency bonuses thar can be very helpful.

- Archers are going to be your early exploration squads, sending out 5+ of them as a group unless you want to do a lot of manual kiting. You start out with a couple soldiers but they are *LOUD* and will stir up every zed for miles if you let them patrol. Leave them for dire circumstances until you get your walls all up and a lot of units produced.

- Don't attack the infected hive buildings unless you're good and ready.

- The name of the game is double wide walls in concentric rings. The zeds will find a break point so don't rely on a single set of walls to protect everything. Surround your houses and your city center with a set, and build out from there every time you find a narrow section. Don't be an idiot and try to make an indefensible sixty wall wide section; push forward and explore until you find a hard terrain chokepoint and defend that.

- There is an overlay key that will show you what blocks will block movement of zeds, I don't remember what it is. Use it a lot so you don't accidentally leave a one wide opening they can get in through.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pierzak posted:

The game isn’t lying when it calls Spellweaver and Mindthief hard. They're very powerful, Weaver especially, but extremely unforgiving.

The best way to unlock other classes is retiring characters, so consider picking a personal goal you can reach easily.

Decide early if you’re noble heroes or greedy assholes and go all in on it. Like a lot of games with a morality system, all the good rewards are at the extreme ends and you miss out on a lot of benefits by trying to sit the line.

Save getting temple blessings until after 10 gold stops having much meaning. You need that money for gear at first.

You can change difficulty at any time, so don’t be ashamed to dumpster a mission’s difficulty if it’s hard for your group or poorly designed, then turn it back up later. The game balances this by giving you more gold and XP at higher difficulties.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 4, 2022

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

The game isn’t lying when it calls Spellweaver and Mindthief hard. Stick with the other four at first. Tinkerer for heals and support, Brute for tank, Scoundrel for damage, Cragheart for a bit of everything.
Rat I can understand, but why the mage? I found her invaluable in the boardgame.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Unless they changed Spellweaver immensely, she was a hard carry for a lot of the early game in my playgroup.

If you play Spellweaver, there is one rule above all others. You cannot allow yourself to lose Reviving Ether. If you take a short rest and lose a card other than Reviving Ether that you really like, don't risk the reroll.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pierzak posted:

Rat I can understand, but why the mage? I found her invaluable in the boardgame.

PJOmega posted:

Unless they changed Spellweaver immensely, she was a hard carry for a lot of the early game in my playgroup.

If you play Spellweaver, there is one rule above all others. You cannot allow yourself to lose Reviving Ether. If you take a short rest and lose a card other than Reviving Ether that you really like, don't risk the reroll.
You know what, that's fair. I'll edit the tip.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

pentyne posted:

Combat is go all-in or nothing, and dodge is, I think, actually broken as a skill so it doesn't work. You will get permanent armor damage from almost every fight requiring expensive repairs constantly. Combat is wholly unrewarding and unfun for anything short of a 100% martial playthrough.

You pretty much have to go 100% in on your character specializations, a hybrid character to see all the content is literally min-maxing every single encounter and save-scumming until you get the best starting outcome.

The social skill playthroughs are worth it, and if you like them enough you can follow a guide for a hybrid playthrough to see all the various path specific/hard to find content like the 'correct' lore and such.

Are these tips for Gloomhaven, or Age of Decadence? I thought I'd be able to figure it out, but it seems like both games are strategy RPGs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ahobday posted:

Are these tips for Gloomhaven, or Age of Decadence? I thought I'd be able to figure it out, but it seems like both games are strategy RPGs.

AoD

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ahobday posted:

Those are AoD.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
What should I know about Fallout 76?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Don't play it, your crimes don't deserve that punishment

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

What should I know about Fallout 76?
Ignore the hate and just jump in and love it. It is basically just an evolution of Fallout 4, and you cannot really lock yourself out of anything, especially since they added S.P.E.C.I.A.L. modification stations you can build yourself (and are all over the place in-game elsewhere) so you no longer have to do fiddly things with your stats to make changes after level 50 like when the game started.

There are surely lots of things you could say about strategies, but that is highly subjective, other than that pistols are not really supported as a realistic option beyond the early game due to a lack of empowering abilities. But even that is barely worth noting as you could still enjoy shooting a bad guy with a pistol if you like

I am sure something about how the NPCs work is confusing for new players but I am so far removed that I cannot imagine what it would be

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anything for Grounded? I started playing it yesterday and I feel like I've got a good start. Made a base at the mysterious machine and working on a second one near the hedge. Got myself a bow and a full set of red ant armor, which allowed me to get the materials to upgrade my gear a bit since the ants now think I'm one of them but I'm still getting wrecked by stuff. I can take on ants and larva and stuff fine as long as there's not too many and I feel like the next step would be stinkbugs and msoquitoes but they just destroy me. I'm staying far away from spiders because I think that's late game stuff.

I feel like the game is pushing to go to the hedge but there's a bunch of bombardier beetles and spiders and I'm hitting a wall in my progression. It's either that or explore the toxic areas but for that I need to kill a stinkbug which I can't yet.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Taeke posted:

Anything for Grounded? I started playing it yesterday and I feel like I've got a good start. Made a base at the mysterious machine and working on a second one near the hedge. Got myself a bow and a full set of red ant armor, which allowed me to get the materials to upgrade my gear a bit since the ants now think I'm one of them but I'm still getting wrecked by stuff. I can take on ants and larva and stuff fine as long as there's not too many and I feel like the next step would be stinkbugs and msoquitoes but they just destroy me. I'm staying far away from spiders because I think that's late game stuff.

I feel like the game is pushing to go to the hedge but there's a bunch of bombardier beetles and spiders and I'm hitting a wall in my progression. It's either that or explore the toxic areas but for that I need to kill a stinkbug which I can't yet.

I'm just about where you are but I think the idea is to start exploring the hedge, if you head towards the part where the decking meets the hedge (there's a jacko lantern sat on the corner) you only have to run past 1 or 2 bombadiers before you're in relative safety. There's a science station just up the first trunk you run into which I made into a small campsite. Best to make it a nearby respawn point while exploring there. Also make sure you have a couple of dandelion fluffs on hand as you're going to be climbing high on some relatively narrow branches.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Taeke posted:

A few quick tips:

-Practice blocking. No, not perfect blocks aka parrying, blocking. Make yourself a Weevil Shield and just get used to stopping your attacks when you see a wind up from a bug and holding your shield up. You take way, way less damage, and it'll also start getting you used to parrying eventually as you'll occasionally hit one that'll teach you the timings slowly.

-Get in the habit of exhausting your stamina completely when running around. Not sure if you've run into any yet but there's a Mutation for doing specific actions, and the stamina related one is probably the longest term and most tedious to do, the requirements to even get it being exhaust your stamina bar 100 times.

-As mentioned in the above post the Hedge is the best place to go after the Oak Lab, but the important thing is breaking spider egg sacs when you're up in the branches. They contain a random bug part (along with some spider babies and web), and those random bug parts include both bombardier AND stink bug parts. Highly recommend collecting enough stink bug parts for the tier 2 Hammer, getting that is a big upgrade for a couple of important reasons.

-While in the Hedge also know you can use arrows to knock down berries while you're on the ground so you can collect them easy. Make sure to grab some stacks of them as you'll need a lot of it for tier 2 stuff.

-Hang out by the Red Ant Hill with your ant armor during the day, or try luring a lady bug over actively. Red ants are your friends!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Can anyone explain to me how the thought cabinet works in Disco Elysium?

I get the basics of it, obviously; you get a stat modifier while the thought is unlocking, then a different one when it's unlocked, and if you choose to "forget" the thought, you lose access to the bonus forever. But does having a thought equipped (ie, you've researched it and never choose to forget it) have any narrative consequences, or can you safely choose to forget any thought if you don't like the modifiers without having to worry about any impact on the game or dialogue choices?

For example, I know that in certain points of the game, you have to internalize certain thoughts to progress quests or dialogue choices (ie, Jamais Vu for Joyce, or Advanced Race Theory for Measurehead), and I would have to assume that internalizing thoughts would also affect various other passive checks or dialogues that I haven't found yet. But what I can't tell, is whether these checks require you to keep the thought equipped in your cabinet for the desired effect to happen, or if all you need to do is spend the time researching it, and then it doesn't matter if you forget about it afterward.

tl;dr; if I don't like the modifier of a thought in the cabinet, is it safe to forget it, or will doing so have effects on the narrative, too?

e: semi similar question actually; is there any easy rule of thumb for determining what's safe to sell at the pawn shop? I've had a few instances where sellable items became usable in side quests and dialogues, and now i'm too paranoid to pawn anything

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 12, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Some thoughts unlock new paths, some just gift stat bonuses. I'm not sure what happens if you abandon a thought halfway through its "questline" but it probably just fizzles out.

Thematically it's better to just keep the thoughts, though, and honestly you already paid the price to get them and most of them are beneficial, but it's okay to forget imo.

As for what to sell lmao let me know if you find out. Generally speaking junk like postcards tend to be okay.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Can anyone explain to me how the thought cabinet works in Disco Elysium?

I get the basics of it, obviously; you get a stat modifier while the thought is unlocking, then a different one when it's unlocked, and if you choose to "forget" the thought, you lose access to the bonus forever. But does having a thought equipped (ie, you've researched it and never choose to forget it) have any narrative consequences, or can you safely choose to forget any thought if you don't like the modifiers without having to worry about any impact on the game or dialogue choices?

For example, I know that in certain points of the game, you have to internalize certain thoughts to progress quests or dialogue choices (ie, Jamais Vu for Joyce, or Advanced Race Theory for Measurehead), and I would have to assume that internalizing thoughts would also affect various other passive checks or dialogues that I haven't found yet. But what I can't tell, is whether these checks require you to keep the thought equipped in your cabinet for the desired effect to happen, or if all you need to do is spend the time researching it, and then it doesn't matter if you forget about it afterward.

tl;dr; if I don't like the modifier of a thought in the cabinet, is it safe to forget it, or will doing so have effects on the narrative, too?

e: semi similar question actually; is there any easy rule of thumb for determining what's safe to sell at the pawn shop? I've had a few instances where sellable items became usable in side quests and dialogues, and now i'm too paranoid to pawn anything

usually rooting through the trash for bottles and stuff to sell is fine

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pentyne posted:

usually rooting through the trash for bottles and stuff to sell is fine

Oh yeah I figured out the bottles already, I was just wondering about the pawnable stuff. The pattern I follow is that I don't sell anything unless I'm low on funds and really need the money, so I'll take a look and see what I think I can afford to lose, which as I'm typing it out, sounds like it may be exactly the experience the devs intended me to have

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Evil Kit posted:

A few quick tips:

-Practice blocking. No, not perfect blocks aka parrying, blocking. Make yourself a Weevil Shield and just get used to stopping your attacks when you see a wind up from a bug and holding your shield up. You take way, way less damage, and it'll also start getting you used to parrying eventually as you'll occasionally hit one that'll teach you the timings slowly.

This is a big one. Had a huge problem fighting anything bigger than an ant until I started blocking - enemies like mosquitos have huge wind ups that are easy to see and retaliate against once the attack has been blocked. Taking on multiple enemies at once can still be quite tough, but a single opponent is easy to take down from there.

The science upgrades that give you various detectors, especially the one for labs, are extremely useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Oh yeah I figured out the bottles already, I was just wondering about the pawnable stuff. The pattern I follow is that I don't sell anything unless I'm low on funds and really need the money, so I'll take a look and see what I think I can afford to lose, which as I'm typing it out, sounds like it may be exactly the experience the devs intended me to have

From memory, trying to play the game and scrounging for cash for rent, you shouldn't really have a problem unless you bought a lot of extra stuff.

Plus, I believe the game has some absolute rock bottom pathetic options to get the rent money as well. I think day 2 will soft lock the game if you can't pay, may have been patched, but I swear there's some alternative 'free' option at some point after.