Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Marzzle posted:

practicing skills will also help you suss out if your kit is useless junk or not or maybe you see some bits of it suck and customize it with better stuff the sky is the limit (I have had a lot of junk kits :smith:)

Yeah first aid "kits" are intended to sell first, have a good profit margin second, and maybe be useful third.

After taking a class it's easy to build your own because you have a much better idea of what is useful in what situation and it's cheaper especially if you want multiple kits. (One for the backpack, one for the bike bag, one for the bug out bag and one for the house)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm diabetic, dumbass.

sorry, I had no idea.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When I hear someone say they carry honey in case of emergency, my first thought is "diabetic" not "bad at making an emergency kit".

I appreciate the preparedness of the guy with a Nintendo Switch and backup 3DS. If you stay in the parking lot at the trailhead, you'll never get hurt.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Lol I wouldn't have thought diabetic either, but really honey isn't a terrible thing to have in a survival kit. It's pretty dense nutrition and also the kind of sugar that picks you right up immediately

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Forseti posted:

Lol I wouldn't have thought diabetic either, but really honey isn't a terrible thing to have in a survival kit. It's pretty dense nutrition and also the kind of sugar that picks you right up immediately

also it stays good forever

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I don't even need it for myself anymore due to care changes.

However it's a hereditary type of diabetes.

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, especially given the size and cost of single serving packs of honey.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

ekuNNN posted:

also it stays good forever

And it's antiseptic!

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Forseti posted:

There are a lot of situations where running out of calories makes your body unable to cope with some stressors it would normally be able to handle such as hypothermia or exhaustion.

I always carry some gummy candy (no not the weed kind) in my pack kit 'tho for some reason I'm always having to replenish it. Hmmm... Strange...

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i carry honey because i am a sweetie pie and im soft

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Leroy Diplowski posted:

There are a lot of situations where running out of calories makes your body unable to cope with some stressors it would normally be able to handle such as hypothermia or exhaustion.

I always carry some gummy candy (no not the weed kind) in my pack kit 'tho for some reason I'm always having to replenish it. Hmmm... Strange...

Yeah Haribos in particular are awesome because they're sweetened with glucose and dextrose. Which is very convenient for me because they're my favorite gummy bear anyway!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I have Haribo and Trolli in my earthquake bag

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

daily carry getting weird

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Chamale posted:

When I hear someone say they carry honey in case of emergency, my first thought is "diabetic" not "bad at making an emergency kit".

I appreciate the preparedness of the guy with a Nintendo Switch and backup 3DS. If you stay in the parking lot at the trailhead, you'll never get hurt.

two is one, one is none

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

honey is important for feeling really smart after an injury to have brought a dual use antiseptic until the bugs come for your sweetened wounds

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

dumping buckets of honey into my hiking bag so that if i get lost i can make emergency mead

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

you can survive for a week on moisture, vitamin c and calories in the average ketchup bottle. it's the superior survival condiment compared to honey

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Packing honey in my hiking first aid kit to make me more attractive to a bear because if I get hurt I might as well end it now than try to survive the American medical system in covid hell world

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is there some kind of pocket tarp you can carry?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

mawarannahr posted:

Packed right next to my bear-honey

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

mawarannahr posted:

There are some surprisingly lightweight tarps out there. I have a full sized one that packs down to the size of IDK a fanny pack or so. I know there are smaller too but for personal solo use I'd probably just go with an emergency blanket

e;fb

Good news for your car should an emergency snowstorm happen upon you though!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Every person I know who hikes multinighters always mentions what kind of gummy candy they pack. Its a universal lol.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

silicone thrills posted:

Every person I know who hikes multinighters always mentions what kind of gummy candy they pack. Its a universal lol.

Yeah, doing the PCT I could see a black and white difference when I'd let my blood sugar drop and then eat some instantly perk back up and ready to hike on. Plus gummy bears are delicious and honestly, half the reason to do big hikes is because you get to eat candy the whole time!

It's not critical or anything, I just like candy.

One of the ladies hiking the year I did the PCT ate what she called "hiker fuel" every morning. This was a can of frosting with espresso powder mixed in, and it was delicious! When else are you going to get away with eating that?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

it rules getting to pack like 6 snickers, chocolate covered cherries, fruit snacks, etc for backpacking trips

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
should call it snackpacking

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Chocolate covered cherries are a god tier backpacking food

I prefer the gummy worms to the gummy bears though

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I've never understood first aid kits, like bandages and Tylenol? Like suck it up baby

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

my favorite hiking snack is taking some salt, and flour, and water and mixing it together really thoroughly, then putting it in the oven and letting it cook for a while into a sheet. Then I cut it into squares and eat it while hiking. Alternatively you can make it and bring it w/ a pan and cook it over the fire. Really great for quick and nutritious meal while out and about. I take it to work sometimes too and dip it in BBQ sauce.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Goons discuss hardtack and honey wound closure techniques on this week in the weather thread

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Late season hurricanes wrecking face with more on the way and weather thread goons are posting hard to justify spending thousands and weeks of prep to walk.

Never change goons.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

who is spending thousands lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
How bout that weather.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Milk Bone dog treats are the superior survival biscuit. People avoid snacking on it so it's there when you need it.

Doesn't taste that bad either. Surprised Florida supermarkets never sell out it immediately when a hurricane warning pops up.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

Milk Bone dog treats are the superior survival biscuit. People avoid snacking on it so it's there when you need it.

Doesn't taste that bad either. Surprised Florida supermarkets never sell out it immediately when a hurricane warning pops up.

iirc this isn't a great idea, my understanding is that dog treats aren't nearly as well regulated as people food, and seriously it only takes like 5 dollars to buy flower, water, and a little salt for my hiking lembas bread.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Goons discuss hardtack and honey wound closure techniques on this week in the weather thread

Fine, I'll just derail the thread by mentioning the really cool PS2 game "Raw Danger!" then!

wikipedia posted:

Raw Danger!, known in Japan as Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 2: Itetsuita Kiokutachi (絶体絶命都市2 -凍てついた記憶たち-, The Desperate City 2: Frozen Memories) is an action adventure survival game for the PlayStation 2. It was released on March 30, 2006 in Japan by Irem, and later internationally in 2007 by Agetec and 505 Games. The game follows six characters as they try to escape a city that is being flooded by torrential rains.

Players must think on their feet and utilize creative survival skills to have any hope of seeing their family again. Body temperature and health decrease when players are wet or in cold weather too long. They must find places to warm themselves and gather food, and find dry clothes or make them. In the end, players must run, climb, jump, and crawl their way out of this devastated city, while constantly trying to piece together information from emergency broadcasts and other victims of the disaster.[1]

It's pretty unique and totally rad, seems right up this threads alley really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i8s3kIa4WE

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Late season hurricanes wrecking face with more on the way and weather thread goons are posting hard to justify spending thousands and weeks of prep to walk.

Never change goons.

Me cramming a thousand dollars worth of gummi bears and a winnie-the-pooh style honeyjar into a massive backpack, "yep, come hell or high water nothing can stop me from surviving this dog walk"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Omnicarus posted:

my favorite hiking snack is taking some salt, and flour, and water and mixing it together really thoroughly, then putting it in the oven and letting it cook for a while into a sheet. Then I cut it into squares and eat it while hiking. Alternatively you can make it and bring it w/ a pan and cook it over the fire. Really great for quick and nutritious meal while out and about. I take it to work sometimes too and dip it in BBQ sauce.

this is called hardtack and it’s what you used to have to eat

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Omnicarus posted:

iirc this isn't a great idea, my understanding is that dog treats aren't nearly as well regulated as people food, and seriously it only takes like 5 dollars to buy flower, water, and a little salt for my hiking lembas bread.

Insects = extra protein, and what's a few prions between friends?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WoodrowSkillson posted:

who is spending thousands lol

Goons are dumping their life savings into hardtack in preparation of touching grass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

Goons are dumping their life savings into hardtack in preparation of touching grass

I pay a baker and a mule team to follow me and cook it for me