Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Laterite posted:

Here's an NPR article as well, but, yes.

In a reversal, the Education Dept. is excluding millions from student loan relief

Bait and switching ~4 million prospective voters at the cusp of a midterm election which is already shaping up to be a disaster seems unwise to me, but I'm no big brain Democratic consultant or administration official.

In at least one of the articles on this it's later clarified that 800k would potentially be affected by this (assuming that each and every one of those people had not already consolidated their otherwise-ineligible loans), not 4 million, which is a little better.

The bigger problem here is how incredibly confusing and convoluted this whole thing is. Everything else about student loans is, though, so I guess I can't expect forgiveness of them to be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
In unsurprising news:
https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/status/1575821461935177728

The most interesting part of the article, IMO

quote:

The ATF agency reports that the share of crime guns that were recovered within two years of purchase jumped from 28% on average between 2010 and 2019 to 47% in 2021. The share of guns that were recovered within one year of purchase rose from 17% between 2010 and 2019 to 29% in 2020 and 32% in 2021.

Firearms purchases in the US surged amid the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, and the trend in the ATF data suggests that recently purchased firearms could have contributed to the nationwide increase in gun violence.

However, significant questions remain. The numbers may somewhat reflect heightened enforcement in response to more shootings or improved reporting by law enforcement.

Discerning the share of new crime guns in the 33,000 homicides, attempted homicides, and aggravated assaults with a firearm where a firearm was traced in 2021 could help make the specific dynamics more clear. If newly purchased crime guns are making their way into homicides quicker, then the share of homicides with new crime guns should also be increasing.

This level of granularity is missing from ATF’s data.

The ATF has access to this information but will not provide it to the public, pointing at the Tiahrt Amendment, an amendment to the 2003 Gun Crime Act which limits the agency’s ability to collect and share information from gun traces.

Lets hope that this surge in gun buying starts plummeting soon.....

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 30, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They should just ban these crime guns imo, guns should only be used for sport.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I work at a gas station in Oregon and one thing I keep hearing from my coworkers and the customers (who all skew conservative) is that the reason why gas prices started going down a bit back was because the US gov opened up their military reserves to lower gas prices (and the recent spike in prices was the reserves running out). Is this bullshit or not? I never heard these threads ever bring it up, which is why I'm thinking it might be bullshit.

Edit: duh of course I could've just looked it up myself and see that it's mostly true (though obviously it's being framed differently that what's probably a more accurate way to frame it)

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 1, 2022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Crossposted with the Ukraine war thread, as it's certainly something under both topics.

CPAC went full mask-off Russian asset today, as a tweet that announced Russia's annexation of "Ukranian-occupied territories" and called for Biden and congress to stop giving stuff to the Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/amandacarpenter/status/1576032894778474496

(the tweet referenced above is now down, but it was up for 12 hours today)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Justice has made a motion to expedite their Cannon appeal

The initial schedule was
  • 10/19: Government brief due
  • 11/18: Trump reply due
  • 12/9: Government response due
Justice proposes:
  • 10/14: Government brief due
  • 11/4: Trump reply due
  • 11/11: Government response due

They note throughout their document that the stay was narrowly tailored for the most essential relief but they believe the same reasoning used to grant the stay is applicable to essentially everything else.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SirFozzie posted:

Crossposted with the Ukraine war thread, as it's certainly something under both topics.

CPAC went full mask-off Russian asset today, as a tweet that announced Russia's annexation of "Ukranian-occupied territories" and called for Biden and congress to stop giving stuff to the Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/amandacarpenter/status/1576032894778474496

(the tweet referenced above is now down, but it was up for 12 hours today)

uh...

https://twitter.com/amandacarpenter/status/1576038914586218497

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kalit posted:

In unsurprising news:
https://twitter.com/Crimealytics/status/1575821461935177728

The most interesting part of the article, IMO

Lets hope that this surge in gun buying starts plummeting soon.....

What's the historical reason for firearms being lumped together with alcohol and tobacco

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's the historical reason for firearms being lumped together with alcohol and tobacco

The org was created as part of the treasury department that handled regulation of these things when they were all major lines for organized crime, dating back to prohibition. For a long time it was sort of the top anti-organized crime entity at IRS.

vvvv tbf looking at the wikipedia entry I forgot all about the pre-Volstead stuff

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 2, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Looking at Wikipedia, it was bundled with Tobacco and Alcohol in 1968 after Congress passed a gun control law through the Interstate Commerce clause, because of its similar regulatory actions

edit: vox'd

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Why, no, of course I don't want to help any people in my state that got hosed over by a major hurricane

https://news.yahoo.com/matt-gaetz-votes-no-relief-042534442.html

Matt Gaetz Votes No On Relief Money As Florida Grapples With Hurricane Ian Aftermath

quote:

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), a Florida native and lawmaker, voted against a measure to free up millions of dollars in disaster relief for the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Gaetz was one of several House Republicans on Friday who voted against a resolution to allow FEMA to use up to $15 million from the Disaster Relief Fund, Newsweek reported.

The bill passed in both the House and the Senate, and it awaits President Joe Biden’s approval.

The vote comes in the same week that Hurricane Ian killed dozens of Florida residents, flooded communities, and destroyed homes and businesses.

Gaetz and other GOP lawmakers added their names to a letter that said they’d “do what is necessary” to stop funding the Biden administration, according to the news site.

“Any legislation that sets the stage for a ‘lame duck’ fight on government funding gives Democrats one final opportunity to pass that agenda,” the letter said.

Yeah, the "agenda" of helping out thousands of people in your home state who've had their life bascially ruined but "need to get immediately back to work!" at their flattened/flooded places of employment.

God I hate this prick. And I hate his dumb loving face and fake, smug, dishonest poo poo eating grin.

I'm not usually one to judge people on their physical appearance but this dude is straight out of central casting for Cheesy Dishonest Creepy Date Rapist Megachurch Car Salesman Amway Embezzlement Habitual Lying Asskissing Suckup Guy. He reminds me of that actor that played Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore and Thelma's husband in Thelma and Louise, where he just oozes "slime" on sight.

And he creeps me out.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

And he creeps me out.

Because of his looks or because of trafficking and raping underage girls?

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Why, no, of course I don't want to help any people in my state that got hosed over by a major hurricane

https://news.yahoo.com/matt-gaetz-votes-no-relief-042534442.html

Matt Gaetz Votes No On Relief Money As Florida Grapples With Hurricane Ian Aftermath

Yeah, the "agenda" of helping out thousands of people in your home state who've had their life bascially ruined but "need to get immediately back to work!" at their flattened/flooded places of employment.

God I hate this prick. And I hate his dumb loving face and fake, smug, dishonest poo poo eating grin.

I'm not usually one to judge people on their physical appearance but this dude is straight out of central casting for Cheesy Dishonest Creepy Date Rapist Megachurch Car Salesman Amway Embezzlement Habitual Lying Asskissing Suckup Guy. He reminds me of that actor that played Shooter McGavin in Happy Gilmore and Thelma's husband in Thelma and Louise, where he just oozes "slime" on sight.

And he creeps me out.
The reason you aren't supposed to judge appearances is that we are all humans someone cares about. You know this isn't true about him, so fire away.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Matt Gaetz is his own novelty rubber mask

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Matt Gaetz looked like if someone tried to make a quote unquote "cgi based photorealistic muppet" but stopped midway because the results were horrifying

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Matt Gaetz makes people actively wonder what primus music video he escaped from

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Staluigi posted:

Matt Gaetz looked like if someone tried to make a quote unquote "cgi based photorealistic muppet" but stopped midway because the results were horrifying
Max Headroom, but real

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Matt Gaetz is eternally freeze framed at the first moment in the original total recall where someone got depressurized and their face is just beginning to grotesquely inflate and bug out

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Matt Gaetz is not actually wearing a suit in the picture those are just his poison colors

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
It wasn’t a minor storm so Gaetz wasn’t interested in it.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Matt Gaetz's face is American Sign Language for date rapist

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
wasnt there some images going round of what Gaetz used to look like before he min-maxxed his douche appearance for maximal appeal to Fox news slugs? IIRC he looked reaosnably human, I was surprised

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He escaped from the Black Hole Sun video

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Failed Imagineer posted:

wasnt there some images going round of what Gaetz used to look like before he min-maxxed his douche appearance for maximal appeal to Fox news slugs? IIRC he looked reaosnably human, I was surprised

Yeah, I did a post on it:

Kith posted:

It's because of how he presents himself. He constantly does the Slimy Politician Smile that's all teeth and no warmth, he deliberately wears a "Power Hairstyle" straight off of the Sleazy Businessman character from Futurama, and he frequently tries to dress in "Power Blue" suits that are associated with "trying to look professional" - usually for a misleading reason, aka Used Car Salesman. If you take those away from him, he looks like a relatively normal person:

But the instant you add them back in, he transforms into a sleazebag who'd sell you out in a heartbeat:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wanna get in on this. Matt Gaetz looks like the kind of person who you would expect to do Matt Gaetz kind of things.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
stop

or make a thread about it in GBS or something idk

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
nm

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

Yeah, I did a post on it:

It's uncanny how often Republican politicians end up cosplaying The Smiler to appeal to their base.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Edit: nm

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What's going on with Credit Suisse? Is it Lehman Brothers 2.0 this week like some people are alluding to?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Staluigi posted:

Staluigi’s posts were based and truepilled and he didn’t deserve the probate. 💯💯👍👍🙏

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Staluigi posted:

no his face is american sign language for sex trafficking minors and failing to get indicted because of political connections

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Spoondick posted:

no his face is american sign language for sex trafficking minors and failing to get indicted because of political connections

I feel like "date rapist" is also in that job description.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Zotix posted:

What's going on with Credit Suisse? Is it Lehman Brothers 2.0 this week like some people are alluding to?

I don't think anyone knows for sure. High level information from The Street (no paywall).

Could it be Lehman Bros. 2.0? Absolutely - Credit Suisse appears to have lost a shitload of money and now be overleveraged as a result. However, they supposedly have a plan to be unveiled on 10/27. If they can keep their head above water that long, with the help of either central banks and/or other private banks, they could survive in some form. If they're allowed to collapse, I don't know.

The major unanswered question is what the Swiss National Bank will do to prevent the failure - I have no idea what they're authorized and/or willing to do. While the ECB doesn't have any direct authority over CS, you can bet they're on a lot of these calls because any failure there impacts the rest of Europe in a big way. Nobody wants a repeat of 2008.

Edit: To be clear, right now CS has admitted they are looking at asset sales and divestitures, meaning they're looking for deals with other partners to bolster their balance sheet. They have publicly said that they are not currently looking to raise new capital.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
if your joke shitposting is far lamer and less funny than the dude who caught a sixer you should consider not posting

edit:

to sound less cranky, this is actually good and informative:

Kith posted:

It's because of how he presents himself. He constantly does the Slimy Politician Smile that's all teeth and no warmth, he deliberately wears a "Power Hairstyle" straight off of the Sleazy Businessman character from Futurama, and he frequently tries to dress in "Power Blue" suits that are associated with "trying to look professional" - usually for a misleading reason, aka Used Car Salesman. If you take those away from him, he looks like a relatively normal person:

But the instant you add them back in, he transforms into a sleazebag who'd sell you out in a heartbeat:

riffing on "what does Matt Gaetz face look like??" is legitimately a GBS thread idea and might have some legs!

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 3, 2022

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Thought something actually happened over the weekend, besides Gaetz having an insane forehead, of course.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Staluigi’s posts were based and truepilled and he didn’t deserve the probate. 💯💯👍👍🙏

I deserve every probation and justice is swift to come for me, unlike for matt gaetz, who I use as a barometer for how significantly the American legal system has built in an effective class of inaccountability and immunity for people like him

He has been so very very very incisively and obviously guilty at literally sex trafficking minors to rape, this has been evident for years, and so far as of yet he has experienced less effective consequences from the American legal system (or the accountability processes of his own party) than if he had posted somewhere fritz the horse could have chain probed him

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Staluigi posted:

I deserve every probation and justice is swift to come for me, unlike for matt gaetz, who I use as a barometer for how significantly the American legal system has built in an effective class of inaccountability and immunity for people like him

He has been so very very very incisively and obviously guilty at literally sex trafficking minors to rape, this has been evident for years, and so far as of yet he has experienced less effective consequences from the American legal system (or the accountability processes of his own party) than if he had posted somewhere fritz the horse could have chain probed him

and yet the DOJ has indicated that they wont prosecute. Maybe they have access to information of which you are unaware.

Patience, young padawan, all will be revealed in time ;)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
He does look sales-y. Americans of all political bents like salesmen. Being a good salesman is an important aspect of being an elected government official.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

and yet the DOJ has indicated that they wont prosecute. Maybe they have access to information of which you are unaware.

Patience, young padawan, all will be revealed in time ;)

Just like Jimmy Saville.