Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Welcome to final chapter of USCE this year. We're really gearing up for Midterms, and therefore things may get extra snippy. Please keep yourselves civil here. If you do just want to come to this thread to argue, we can point you to a more productive place.

Evergreen topic info: This is a quick reminder that USCE is for discussing of current events and news about the United States in the year of our LORD 2022. If anyone has some interesting articles they wish to talk about, post it here! And please add some of your own commentary to it first. This isn't supposed to be a place to just dump bad tweets. There are plenty of other places to do that on SA, or if you just like reading those, do it on Twitter with the weirdos.

Also of note, we understand that there will be some repeating or blending of info about the 2022 midterm races. Some sharing of conversation is fine, but if you're talking about or linking an article for a specific senate/house/gov race, the conversation would probably be better in the Dedicated Midterms thread.

The latest news from the last thread was about Florida using their federal COVID funds to fly people to Martha's Vineyard.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Seems like there was an enormous amount of fraud with the CARES Act and the early days of the pandemic.

Some of it was probably worth it as just the cost of getting all of it out as fast as possible, but still pretty staggering.

Current estimates are:

- $76.1 billion in PPP fraud.

- $46.5 billion in unemployment fraud.

- $661.5 million in food assistance fraud.

- (Debatable whether this is technically fraud or not since there weren't explicit restrictions on how states could use it, but...) Roughly $80 billion in aid to state governments/local governments/schools was used for funding projects or hiring staff that they needed before the pandemic and was not covid-related.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1573009447454412800

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
when's the government gonna give me more money?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

quote:

Does anyone else think about how Doc Brown's original family name was von Braun and also the magic speed to time travel is 88 mph?

Thread title made me think of this post

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Thread title made me think of this post

Huh, apparently Tannen is a German-Jewish surname, too. Checks out, BttF is crypto-fascist.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
For the fall I'm genuinely mostly interested in the competition for the absolute bottom of the barrel for quality of GOP candidates and GOP representatives — who are the ten worst sitting federal representatives and why? Who are the ten worst new midterm candidates and why? They feel like they've been competing against themselves to see if they can nominate the absolute worst people possible, and the reasons get more and more surreal. You got strange people who would even challenge Boebert and Greene. You have candidates who have obviously mentally compromised enough that they are candidates for long term care, but they're being put forth as the GOP's best.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

any Florida goons? I love how all the attack ads against Val Demmings paint her as dangerously radical. Its amusing how most of the ads are written for people that live in The Villages.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ManBoyChef posted:

any Florida goons? I love how all the attack ads against Val Demmings paint her as dangerously radical. Its amusing how most of the ads are written for people that live in The Villages.
Yes I’m in FL and it’s very amusing to see those ads

Like this is a woman who was a cop for a long time and then went straight to Congress.

I don’t think she has a chance to win at all because Rubio gets a lot of the Hispanic vote and without good support from that any Dem candidates in this state are DOA

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
He's really trying to make sure things get violent when he gets indicted. Fully leaning into the Q thing, out in the open.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1573297065492455424?s=20&t=jOyH3MQJZevpWQsuwSFqkQ

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

skylined! posted:

He's really trying to make sure things get violent when he gets indicted. Fully leaning into the Q thing, out in the open.

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1573297065492455424?s=20&t=jOyH3MQJZevpWQsuwSFqkQ

I wonder if the person who designed the Dark Knight promo images regrets doing so, based on how often they're used for insane political poo poo.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

skylined! posted:

I wonder if this can be used against him in some incoming charges.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cimber posted:

Guess it would ultimately depend on what charges you have in mind, but I think it would be kind of a stretch. Unless he's actively saying "I want you to grab your guns and go invade DC again" or something actively incriminating, they'll probably be able to handwave it away as "Well he didn't TECHNICALLY instruct anyone to do anything."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

skylined! posted:

Q is the worst thing ever and I loving hate it even exists

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cimber posted:

"Inciting stochastic terrorism" isn't really a crime. IANAL, but it would seem to me that you'd need to be able to draw a straight line from Trump to tiki-torch wielding Meal Team Six terrorist to nail him on anything.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

OAquinas posted:

"Inciting stochastic terrorism" isn't really a crime. IANAL, but it would seem to me that you'd need to be able to draw a straight line from Trump to tiki-torch wielding Meal Team Six terrorist to nail him on anything.

I thought "incitement" is a crime, especially incitement to riot, which is what they'd define the January 6th incident as, as well as any retread Trump manages to kick off.

Now, you couldn't charge Trump for inspiring people, if then they go off and riot without him having some kind of direct inducement (ie., the January 6th rally speech), as I understand it. But, stuff like all of this Q-branded messaging - and his constant retweeting of it now - comes a lot closer to representing him making an obvious incitement via his social media speech. IANAL and I don't know if any of this is chargeable, but it seems like if he does manages another Jan. 6, then you could definitely use this in the trial against him*.

*I know it's not coming to that; let me have this for a moment.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It depends on exactly what he posted. Recording himself with the letter Q in various poses, or making references to Q memes, isn't incitement. Getting someone on incitement requires specific calls to imminent violence.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

It depends on exactly what he posted. Recording himself with the letter Q in various poses, or making references to Q memes, isn't incitement. Getting someone on incitement requires specific calls to imminent violence.

This Q stuff that Trump is dabbling in isn't incitement, and probably wouldn't rise to that level. However, if he were to be taken to trial over the Jan. 6th stuff, or any future riots he incites, wouldn't it be admissible as evidence of a basic pattern, possibly even as examples of what defines Trump's particular speech and message in regards to the actual inciting message/incident? Or is too broad for anyone to consider in a legal sense, even though we all know what it is in a practical one?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I really regret not making up some nonsense "business" so I could get in on that PPP loan scam.

E: Lol remember 2 weeks ago when republican's were like "uh this was free government handout welfare money for us never intended to be paid back so there's deffo no contradictions with what we claim to believe here, checkmate libs :smug:".

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 23, 2022

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

This Q stuff that Trump is dabbling in isn't incitement, and probably wouldn't rise to that level. However, if he were to be taken to trial over the Jan. 6th stuff, or any future riots he incites, wouldn't it be admissible as evidence of a basic pattern, possibly even as examples of what defines Trump's particular speech and message in regards to the actual inciting message/incident? Or is too broad for anyone to consider in a legal sense, even though we all know what it is in a practical one?

It is protected speech to promote a violent conspiracy theory, no matter how noxious you or I might find it, absent a call for imminent lawless action or other specific exception to the first amendment. If Trump some day crosses the line into unprotected speech, the relevant evidence will be him crossing the line, not previous or future incidents in which he did not do so.

There are plenty of lawyers with relevant subject matter experience. If Trump engages in something even close to non-protected speech, we will not lack for qualified people to let us know. We will not need to guess it for ourselves.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Marginalized communities have been spied on, harassed and otherwise had their rights violated for far less.

Especially if they are leftist.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

It is protected speech to promote a violent conspiracy theory, no matter how noxious you or I might find it, absent a call for imminent lawless action or other specific exception to the first amendment. If Trump some day crosses the line into unprotected speech, the relevant evidence will be him crossing the line, not previous or future incidents in which he did not do so.

There are plenty of lawyers with relevant subject matter experience. If Trump engages in something even close to non-protected speech, we will not lack for qualified people to let us know. We will not need to guess it for ourselves.

So Trump can only get in trouble for the speech that crosses the line, but can no one point to the months of similar speeches leading up to that moment as way of establishing a pattern of guilt? Of a downward slide of acceptability until his speech does what it is inevitably designed to do?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Class3KillStorm posted:

So Trump can only get in trouble for the speech that crosses the line, but can no one point to the months of similar speeches leading up to that moment as way of establishing a pattern of guilt? Of a downward slide of acceptability until his speech does what it is inevitably designed to do?

Speech that doesn't cross the line is legal and not legally considered incitement. You can't establish a pattern of incitement by pointing to things that aren't incitement, and you can't establish a pattern of guilt by pointing to things that aren't crimes.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

If the speeches previous to him crossing the line are protected, they're not a pattern of guilt.

An incitement of imminent, unlawful activity would be proven by establishing that incitement. A downward slide from legal behavior to illegal behavior does not make the legal behavior suddenly illegal.

Trump pumping up Q is noxious. But casting about for ways in which it might be illegal doesn't seem productive.

Cranappleberry posted:

Marginalized communities have been spied on, harassed and otherwise had their rights violated for far less.

Especially if they are leftist.

True enough. I am doubtful that Trump is going to be subject to this, though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SalTheBard posted:

Q is the worst thing ever and I loving hate it even exists

I've heard that the internet makes you stupid.

I don't recall where.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/peterschorschfl/status/1573408007064633345?s=46&t=FD9GlBRmMCTPYgJoJ2tAyg

DeSantis goons dropping like flies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This guy was in charge of the ‘election integrity office’ which you can take a guess what that’s about

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

FlamingLiberal posted:

This guy was in charge of the ‘election integrity office’ which you can take a guess what that’s about

Upholding the ... integrity of ... elections?

*usage of the word integrity varies between individuals and may in this case refer solely to the integrity of conservative electoral noncompetitiveness schemes and/or dogwhistles designed to derive turnout among racists and ethnonationalists. side effects include autocratic or regulatory capture, fascist parallels, or fatal heart attacks. integrity may not be for everyone. consult your doctor before using integrity

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
poo poo. The Deep State strikes again?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol if DeSantis found a death note and gets caught because he keeps using the default kill. christ atleast do it like Russia and just always do something with windows.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Arizona banned almost all abortions under a law from 1864

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1573484888447131670

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

James Garfield posted:

Arizona banned almost all abortions under a law from 1864

https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1573484888447131670

Congratulations Governor Hobbs (D) of Arizona!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Morrow posted:

Editing my post so I don't get probated. Congratulations to the Democratic Party for having control of the House, Senate, and Executive and the progress they have made in this timeframe.

sleep with the vicious fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 24, 2022

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Morrow posted:

Yeah, probably not. Hobbs has been doing everything possible to avoid actively campaigning it seems; she refused a debate, and also has minimum media presence so far here.

Honestly, compared to 2018 and 2020, I've seen far more pro-GOP signs/billboards/etc., then Democratic-supporting publicity. It honestly seems like the AZ Dem party thinks that they'll cruise to victory solely because the AZ GOP nominated a bunch of far right, crazy Trump'ers, and that they don't have to put much work into the mid-terms.

If the election were held today, I'm pretty confidence Kari Lake would win.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

lol if DeSantis found a death note and gets caught because he keeps using the default kill. christ atleast do it like Russia and just always do something with windows.

I'm reminded of an old lil fanfic that I consider canon; he decides to mix it up with 'death by potato chip'

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Regarding trump and incitement. That 60 Minutrs interview from yesterday(?) where the guy happenstance dropped that someone inside the White House, via the White House switchboard, was talking to a Jan 6 rioter on their phone as the riots started… that’s going to be very interesting to see who was on that call. The person being interviewed said they knew the ID of the rioter, but not of the person in the WH. I’m not sure trump was at the WH in that exact time frame between speech and riot, but I won’t be surprised at all when it comes out it was someone in his immediate inner circle. Are those calls all recorded?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd be surprised if anyone's ever actually been charged with incitement without being leftist, anti-racist or maybe the most embarassing kind of racist.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Cranappleberry posted:

I know it invites dispute, but I agree with the posters that say hypocrisy doesn't really matter in reality and this includes justices ruling on which laws/rights apply and to whom.
Nah I agree as well. Or rather too much weight is put on the idea of “hypocrisy” as something that negates a point rather than hypocrisy simply being used as a tool to sus out someone’s actual principles. Pointing out “hypocrisy” as a whataboutism is a common reactionary tactic that more people should just ignore.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The Brett Favre saga is definitely looking worse and worse for him.

So apparently he guaranteed his own money to pay for the stadium but then tried to get the state to cover it.

Texts have Gov Bryant directly mentioning the federal funds meant for low income families and kids but that basically they can't use it.

Then, after repeatedly pressing, Bryant and the president of USM are talking together about how inappropriate his requests are.

I think at this point Favre is going to get into actual big trouble for it.

This seems to be coming from Bryant trying to throw him under the bus a bit... But I mean ultimately he did receive the funds so I'm guessing he's not clean either.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34656657/brett-favre-pressed-facility-funding-being-told-legality-question-court-filing-says

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No, Bryant is also in deep poo poo because he apparently took shares in some company Favre was involved with in exchange for doing this stadium deal, according to texts

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FlamingLiberal posted:

No, Bryant is also in deep poo poo because he apparently took shares in some company Favre was involved with in exchange for doing this stadium deal, according to texts

Oh no I know that. I said this latest release of texts came from Bryant himself trying to throw Favre under the bus. I mean Bryant is also guilty too.

For anyone else this is a great narrative rundown of the whole thing so far :

https://mississippitoday.org/2022/09/24/phil-bryant-brett-favre-welfare-volleyball/

Also Bryant is desperately trying to ask that the rest of the texts not be released to the public bc of how damaging they are. That's part of why he released the latest batch as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A pair of really interesting polls catching attention right now:
First, we have what people are hearing out of messaging:
https://mobile.twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1574055846501310464

Followed by what people consider most important:
https://mobile.twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1573886721091059712

As additional background, we're starting to see more aggregates putting House control within the margin of error come November