Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Malaria posted:

Sweeping is dumb and I'm mad I can't even do a lovely Yngwie impression.

This is why I keep a book of Buddy Holly songs handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

there’s no musical purpose to sweep picking

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

landgrabber posted:

they're not that common outside of Scandinavian composers but its the best way to play sections marked di più è di più

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

landgrabber posted:

ah the trusty "music i don't like isn't music" take

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

JamesKPolk posted:

but its the best way to play sections marked di più è di più

idk i'd probably reach for any standard phaser or laser pistol there

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

landgrabber posted:

It sounds cool, OP. It is pretty played out at this point though

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

landgrabber posted:

fffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrt

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

ah the trusty "music i don't like isn't music" take

i mean, to balance it out, i think franz liszt kind of sucks because he's a shredder. just on the piano.

think about all of the insane harmonic implications that running through arpeggiations that fast have. maybe you can use it as a decoration but how much, realistically, does it add to a composition?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Paganini? More like paga-no-thanks.

edit also when I saw lg replying immediately after this post:

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

This is why I keep a book of Buddy Holly songs handy.

... I assumed it was gonna be a Weezer joke

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

landgrabber posted:

think about all of the insane harmonic implications that running through arpeggiations that fast have. maybe you can use it as a decoration but how much, realistically, does it add to a composition?

it adds a lot if it sounds cool. what are you some kind of music theory hall monitor or something?

I think this solo sounds cool in this song even if it has bad harmonic implications
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAJhswlEdTo&t=179s

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The harmonic implications don't really matter because you're not processing those notes individually, you're processing them as up-down-up-down or whatever, it's effectively a glissando. Which is fine! It's ornamental, but so is a bunch of poo poo.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
a little sweep picking goes a long way; it gets a bad name from musically braindead hair metal guitarists doing it for a minute during Solo Time (that style of lead playing is very wack and devoid of musical content, like lg said).

if you can do it smoothly. and just add some of it in bits and pieces to your lines, it's a sick technique!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Sweeping is just a picking technique anyway, it isn't locked into any kind of composition other than it needing to be at least kind of fast. It was just weird to gatekeep a picking technique.

Thunderhorse has a cool sweep at the start too. I'd love to play that someday. It's fast, so hard to hear the individual notes, but it still contributes really nicely to the chord changes and serves the song really well.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 3, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i just think the world would be a much better place if guitarists were more concerned with the actual melodies and harmonies they're playing, rather than the techniques they use to play them

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

landgrabber posted:

I enjoy music that's more than power chords

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

landgrabber posted:

i just think the world would be a much better place if guitarists were more concerned with the actual melodies and harmonies they're playing, rather than the techniques they use to play them

One has to do with composition, the other with proficiency in playing the instrument. Gravitating toward one more than the other is fine if that's what a person likes to do.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Malaria posted:

I enjoy music that's more than power chords

in homophonic music, the melody is the subject of the piece, just on a functional level. no one is listening to weezer rhythm guitar tracks and being like "wow, this poo poo rules"-- but the power chords a) often being inverted/voice led to be more melodic and b) supporting really great melodies that are very often more musical than most rock melodies-- they often stand well on their own without accompaniment, there're major 7s, there's variance each time a melody reappears the next time the section comes up. the songs have intros that function as themes, that the vocal melodies are derived from, and build to climaxes.

this is the poo poo that every other band misses out on.

guitar players who don't pay any mind to structure or the arrangement or where they sit in it, but are content to just poo poo out notes everywhere, are the worst.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

take some melodic tech death and shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhQSj89Rews

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

landgrabber posted:

in homophonic music, the melody is the subject of the piece, just on a functional level. no one is listening to weezer rhythm guitar tracks and being like "wow, this poo poo rules"-- but the power chords a) often being inverted/voice led to be more melodic and b) supporting really great melodies that are very often more musical than most rock melodies-- they often stand well on their own without accompaniment, there're major 7s, there's variance each time a melody reappears the next time the section comes up. the songs have intros that function as themes, that the vocal melodies are derived from, and build to climaxes.

this is the poo poo that every other band misses out on.

guitar players who don't pay any mind to structure or the arrangement or where they sit in it, but are content to just poo poo out notes everywhere, are the worst.

You're too young to be this pretentious about music.

Just let people enjoy things.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

landgrabber posted:

ffs im trying to get better and im taking lessons

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
wait poo poo hold up you're telling me there's a lot of guitar heavy music that focuses on melodies and harmonies? what? no way those meathead rock dudes could ever make poo poo like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUxfypgDwGs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gKJh7jR4Dg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9GAxrQHmg

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Malaria posted:

no i’m actually young enough to be this pretentious about music, because for most of my life, people older and cooler than me have been clowning on me for liking what i like, and saying i’ll grow out of it or whatever. turns out that’s just poo poo that is irrelevant both pre- and post-boomer, so i’m gonna scream about it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

and while we’re at it: why are guitar players, especially men, so reluctant to write anything that just sounds pretty, or delicate?? like, i’ve been in guitar stores and heard people start stringing together chords with extensions— and it sounds really cool, and in my head i can hear the next chord, really lush and pretty…

and then boom, you get a blues chord, or something diminished, because they almost got too emotional for a second, or wrote something “for chicks”.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
this is like the guitar version of "i guess no one wants to work anymore"

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

this is like the guitar version of "i guess no one wants to work anymore"

no, because most newer bands i hear actually play music that sounds pretty, unless they’re middle aged or deliberately trying to bring back dad rock/numetal or something

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

and while we’re at it: why are guitar players, especially men, so reluctant to write anything that just sounds pretty, or delicate?? like, i’ve been in guitar stores and heard people start stringing together chords with extensions— and it sounds really cool, and in my head i can hear the next chord, really lush and pretty…

and then boom, you get a blues chord, or something diminished, because they almost got too emotional for a second, or wrote something “for chicks”.

you are stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyNtgy3XX6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR80feSZz8Y

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Malaria posted:

never too young to know everything

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm too old to rock and roll but also too old to write pretty melodic rock

I guess not too young to die with COVID and everything.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

landgrabber posted:

I'm confused by this completely off the wall scenario you are projecting, are they just in the guitar store noodling around and trying guitars, or are they sitting down for a serious from the heart writing session which they failed by playing a chord that was too masculine?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm confused by this completely off the wall scenario you are projecting, are they just in the guitar store noodling around and trying guitars, or are they sitting down for a serious from the heart writing session which they failed by playing too masculine a chord?

i think they're projecting some other personal issues into this and probably need to just shut up

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Here is my favorite overdrive pedal

I am going to die from how cute your dog is. I hope you are happy.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
D chord, A chord, E chord.... and the minor versions of those... Being able to do strumming patterns in time cause I did drums for 3 years. Soon no one on this Earth will be able to match my skill with the 6 strings of steel....

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

landgrabber posted:

A lot of different types of people play guitar, it's kind of weird to get mad at people for not resolving a progression the way you think it should go.

I'm a dude, and my warmup/trying out instruments routine is usually something like Bring on the Night, Blackbird, Black, etc. All those are rather melodic and and interesting in my mind. I don't know any guitar players that are worried about being "too emotional" :shrug:

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

landgrabber posted:

the blues are emotional. dumb gently caress !

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

When I think of guitarists that poo poo notes all over and do sweeps, I think of of like Guthrie Govan, John Petrucci.. guys that know music theory and composition way better than I ever will.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

landgrabber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJeQIVaJwI&t=419s

eh 20 years later here's his new song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpBO0RbLKJ0

it's all alright, anyone can poo poo on or dismiss or adore and love whatever they want in their own bubble, it doesn't mean anything broader and is just a reflection of their experiences, so whatever brought you to all these thoughts on music is valid and I wouldn't argue with how you feel. We're all worm food before too long, make the kind of pretty music you like the most (I for sure love to make things I think are pretty!) or make whatever is in your dark brutal heart, make hauntingly empty spaces with barely any noise but the noise there is is just perfect, or make dense things that nearly overwhelm the senses - it's all making the space around us vibrate for a little bit and humans like that for as long as humans are.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 3, 2022

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I also can't sweep pick and am grumpy about it...

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfUQIyx4q-o
this old dude(boomer!!!! xD) playing ugly man blues chords...whys he so scared of being vulnerable!?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I never tried to learn sweep picking, I never felt like my regular picking was fast enough to try to learn these kinds of specual speed trucks. Also I don't think Tony Iommi really ever did sweep picking on the first four Black Sabbath records so like why would I bother with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah Iommi's big speed moves were either like two-note trills or extremely basic blues 101 licks but kinda fast.

I'm not a very technical guitarist and I never have been. I'm never going to get sweep picking down, and I'm never going to be good at tapping. That's okay, I made peace with that like 20 years ago.