Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

the ps5 has been out for 2 full years and has 5 games, soon to be 4 bcos one is getting a pc port.

:ok:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Hey Sony while you're remaking poo poo can you give me a version of Resistance 3 with a resolution bigger than a loving postage stamp.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Can you count Bloodborne as one of The PS5 Games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I'm agreeing with him

e: the doubt was over this being the first time something like this has happened, not doubting that it's happening to ps5 rn

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 2, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm playing through HZD right now on my Steam Deck and it's fine? Like nothing special as open world games go but it doesn't have the Ubisoft map icon vomit and bows are cool so it gets above average on that basis. It's really weird how Sony stuff is still treated like it's all transcendent industry defining accomplishments.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:ok: smilie usually means “whatever you say chief (sarcastic)”

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Okay

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i think they should clarify whether FF16 is coming to pc eventually or not

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it is

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It almost certainly will. Every mainline Final Fantasy is currently playable on PC. It'd be very weird for FFXVI to never make its way there. It'll probably be roughly a year between the PS5 and PC releases.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

i think they should clarify whether FF16 is coming to pc eventually or not

They confirmed it at release when they announced it as a timed exclusive before Sony made them pull that part

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Horizon Zero Dawn has a really good "big reveal" moment and the main character is cool so its more fondly regarded than similar games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Real question is if ff16 will get a ps6 remake

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

No Dignity posted:

They confirmed it at release when they announced it as a timed exclusive before Sony made them pull that part

Yeah cause Sony wants you to buy a PS5.

It probably will because SE releases since XV have been going onto PC, even sidegame stuff like Octopath, Bravely and TriStrat.

FirstAidKite posted:

Real question is if ff16 will get a ps6 remake

Normally I'd say it would get a special finished enhanced edition but it's helmed by CBU3 who actually know how to manage a project so...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why is Sony being ridiculed for releasing its games on PC and reducing the number of PS5 exclusives when that's an objectively good thing? I mean the Series X/S has zero exclusive games and that's generally considered to be a good thing. Lets encourage platform holders moving in the right direction. :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Both non-Nintendo consoles seem to be positioning themselves more as cheaper alternatives to a powerful gaming PC more than a place where you play games you can't play anywhere else, it's just that Microsoft is doing that intentionally (and has been for a few years now, they don't care if you have an Xbox or not as long as you subscribe to GamePass) while Sony seems to be just... ending up there.

But it also doesn't seem like it's hurting them. It's not like demand for the PS5 has let up. Just an interesting and weird situation.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

stev posted:

Why is Sony being ridiculed for releasing its games on PC and reducing the number of PS5 exclusives when that's an objectively good thing? I mean the Series X/S has zero exclusive games and that's generally considered to be a good thing. Lets encourage platform holders moving in the right direction. :)

because gamers will always be console warriors at heart

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
because exclusives are what make consoles good OP. it "makes sense" for Microsoft because they just want to push Xbox GAAS on phones and windows PCs which is almost certainly worse long term for the consumer than Nintendo not porting Splatoon 3 to the PS4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

stev posted:

bcos when they dont do that they make more good games, like nintendo is currently. i would rather want to pick up a ps5 or whatever when theyre cheap so i can get access to a substantial library of good games that otherwise dont exist than just lose those games. they shut down some really cool studios, bcos they dont make big enough games to be worth it as multiplats. it sucks.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, on one hand it rules to be able to play everything on my PC and Switch, but it does 100% lead to less game diversity and not using the console functionalities to its fullest.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

People are used to Xbox having no games

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stux posted:

bcos when they dont do that they make more good games, like nintendo is currently. i would rather want to pick up a ps5 or whatever when theyre cheap so i can get access to a substantial library of good games that otherwise dont exist than just lose those games. they shut down some really cool studios, bcos they dont make big enough games to be worth it as multiplats. it sucks.

I still don’t get this, like the logic behind “exclusivity means more better games”, Nintendo makes good games but so do other publishers

rox
Sep 7, 2016

making fun of something doesnt inherently mean you dont want it to be better

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

stev posted:

because there was a subforum called Your Console Sucks for like, over a decade

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I still don’t get this, like the logic behind “exclusivity means more better games”, Nintendo makes good games but so do other publishers

idk how to explain it any further if you can neither understand the clearly observable impact currently occouring in a platform holder going multiplat, or the simple economic reasons why shifting focus from platform exclusivity to multiplatform releases inherently lends itself to less risk taking wrt developmental outpuit. pretty basic simpel concepts with direct illustrations in reality.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Console wars? Disgusting.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Nintendo having their own hardware and by extention their own ecosystem gives them a large amount of agency that goes beyond what any normal developer or publisher would have, as such they're free to create games with much lower specs than would look acceptable on a current-gen console and can create systems with unique properties like motion controls and portability and then games which incorporate those features. In a broader sense I'd say they provide a counter balance to the current industry trends in gaming too, by existing as an independent hardware and development company they provide an alternative vision of gaming from AAA rat race that demphasises extreme graphical fidelity and expensive systems

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

on one hand nintendo are producing a ton of first party games with no mtx in them etc. on the other hand sony bought bungie and said this

quote:

Sony expects to spend 49% of its PlayStation Studios development budget on live service games by the end of the year. By 2025, Sony plans to bump that to 55%, up from just 12% in 2019. By the end of 2025, Sony projects that it will have 12 different live service games of its own, up from just one now.

probably no relation between any business changes on sonys end and this new focus on development + culling of smaller studios under their umbrella lol. dont need ot think about it really.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing about the lack of first-party development for the PS5 is that one of the PS5's big features is its controller, with lots of unique features that basically no third-party is ever going to implement in a multiplatform game. Pretty much only first-party games are ever going to make use of that kind of thing and they're just not there.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stux posted:

idk how to explain it any further if you can neither understand the clearly observable impact currently occouring in a platform holder going multiplat, or the simple economic reasons why shifting focus from platform exclusivity to multiplatform releases inherently lends itself to less risk taking wrt developmental outpuit. pretty basic simpel concepts with direct illustrations in reality.

Idk if looking at Sony floundering atm is enough proof that multi platform inherently loses money, regardless of which I will admit I do not and cannot care about the economics, all I see is more games being made available to me and other “gamers”, and this is good, because video games are art.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i mean it doesnt inherently lose money. i wouldnt say theyre floundering either, their console is selling fine, and regarldless of how funny it is im sure w the pc ports included theyre doing well off the titles theyre releasing/remaking/porting, even if theyre currently probably down coming off the back of covid lockdown money. what it does is change how they make money and what their aims are, and that is generally making less games and making the ones they do make more and more risk free. this is an overall loss for gaming. it is not a benefit to games as a form of media for there to be less games made and for them to be more infected with horrible monetization and game design choices to ensure theyre a more profitable and consumable product. it is not a benefit to games as a form of media for a major platform holder and publisher to nuke a huge portion of their studios and staff because what they make is too risky and not mass marketable.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
PS4 was the worst PlayStation even before the exclusives became free range. Sonys first party just stopped making cool unique games for some reason

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Idk if looking at Sony floundering atm is enough proof that multi platform inherently loses money, regardless of which I will admit I do not and cannot care about the economics, all I see is more games being made available to me and other “gamers”, and this is good, because video games are art.

the relevant point is that the economics of having to appeal to a broader cross-section of consumers to justify the multi-platform model means that there's a higher potential for said art to get diluted or shorn of risk, since you have to make the game hit big on each individual platform for the economics of multi-platform development and marketing to make sense

there's obviously a good amount of overlap in preferences amongst platforms, but you still have to reckon with the fact that the kind of games a switch owner favors are likely going to be different than an xbox or PS5 owner, and the constraints of each platform (in terms of available horsepower, what kind of input methods you have available, etc.) will necessarily limit your overall design

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I guess I just think this is Sony doing bad things, and not Nintendo doing good things. It’s good for games to be available to more people, also it’s bad if games become mtx nft hellscapes, I hope these aren’t our two choices

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Most PS4/5 games released in the last two years might as well be PS5 only though because their PS4 versions play like poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

well im sure its just a coincidence thaht out of the three platform holders, the only one that has stuck to strict exclusivity is also the only one that is still making games that you only pay once for, and about 5x more of them than the other two.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Are Sony games actually mtx-ridden? I haven’t played any

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

quote:

Sony expects to spend 49% of its PlayStation Studios development budget on live service games by the end of the year. By 2025, Sony plans to bump that to 55%, up from just 12% in 2019. By the end of 2025, Sony projects that it will have 12 different live service games of its own, up from just one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by the end of 2025 sony projects that it will have 12 games