Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Are achievements supposed to carry over to the beta? Just grabbed it and did the achievement reconciliation button or whatever it was called, and only ended up with 28 instead of the 48 I had. Not sure if it is a tech issue, beta thing, or new version thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pain of Mind posted:

Are achievements supposed to carry over to the beta? Just grabbed it and did the achievement reconciliation button or whatever it was called, and only ended up with 28 instead of the 48 I had. Not sure if it is a tech issue, beta thing, or new version thing.

I think some achievements changed or got consolidated. So that's why when you import it's like "Found 48 achievements, imported 28"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The damage output from 5 greys is frustrating. I find I can't get enough shield to tank through bug hitters and hitting enough damage to kill things is tough. Poison is a nightmare

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Yeah 5 blue is super chill, and 5 grey is awful

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Become

https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice/devlog/434748/slice-dice-20-release

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Very exciting, hope the android version follows soon!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

quote:

No more dragon egg sorcerer, you'll have to work harder than that for an infinite (I hope!)

😭 that was such a rare treat anyway

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Extra hard difficulty modes?!?

Wtf is unfair supposed to be?

Also shout out to listing not adding music. I lolled

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

Very exciting, hope the android version follows soon!

I think it is out? At least I got an email to download the apk and it works.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014
Any idea if the google play release is coming soon? I wouldn't really mind buying it a second time on itch.io to be fair.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I would assume it's submitted and will be available at Google o'clock.

redleader posted:

😭 that was such a rare treat anyway

Every version I lament what we lost, both in terms of unfair enemies, and busted combos. But then I learn to love what we gained. Trust me when I say that this version has way more busted combos you can make.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 3, 2022

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I forgot google review took so long, should have waited on the itch update.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Weirdly it's always the apple reviews that hold up our releases at work

Maybe the reviewers like your game and take their time having a bit of a play

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Hmm. In theory I like the Spellblade getting Copycat now, but 1 damage Copycat is bad! Weaken or Poison or Charged are its best use cases (or Steel, if it's Steel defense so that you're not trying to split a damage boost across two characters), and it's not doing any of those very well at that power. Even if it was two damage, it'd still only be pretty good, and Spellblade is real bad otherwise. It's bad enough that making its spell once a round instead of once a fight would probably still leave it one of the worst oranges, and that spell effect is great.

Similarly, Collector getting a 1 damage Duplicate is very weird. 1 damage Duplicate might even be worse than a normal 1 side or a blank, because it forces you to play that side last and denies you synergies with "replace blank side" effects. It has Urn synergies, but that's about it.

Is it intentional that redirect effects no longer redirect damage from Pain? It feels like that makes the Pain-based Yellows and the redirect Greys much worse, especially at tier 1.

I like that enemy Fanatics have just Pain sides now, it makes larger numbers of them much more manageable.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think a 2 damage copycat would be busted on Spellblade. Then you start getting into sides you really only see on tier 3 heroes: 2 damage poison, 2 damage cleave, 2 damage weaken. 1 damage copycat might not be super exciting but it's versatile.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Arzaac posted:

I think a 2 damage copycat would be busted on Spellblade. Then you start getting into sides you really only see on tier 3 heroes: 2 damage poison, 2 damage cleave, 2 damage weaken. 1 damage copycat might not be super exciting but it's versatile.

Setting aside the question of, "is it busted" for a moment: if Spellblade had a two-power Copycat, where would it rank in the list of orange tier 2 characters? Because my feeling is that it'd still be in the middle at most. In particular, you're giving up your party's access to ranged damage and exchanging damage for utility, which is always a risky bet on one of your damage characters... And if you want to exchange damage for utility, Dabbler is better at that. As is, Spellblade has two okay sides, two bad sides, and two really bad sides, and exchanging one "okay" for one "busted" puts it somewhere around Gambler. Personally speaking, I know I avoid Gambler like the plague, so I don't consider this a ringing endorsement.

And I don't think it would actually be busted, again because of party compositions. Where can you get poison in t2? Oranges, mostly, but it's available on the other colors... As a once-per-battle effect, or from an item that replaces your center side, which is always filled and generally a pretty good spot on the die. (Also, it's dependent on an item, and item combos SHOULD be good!) Weaken is once-per-battle or from Fey, which is the t2 Red that can't heal (1 heals do not count) or cleanse, and if you have Spellblade you don't have Dabbler. Fey isn't BAD, but it's a risky tech play that's very party-dependent. Cleave requires Whirl, who has always been one of the weaker yellows (and Spellblade is also generally low damage, so Whirl + Spellblade is officially Entering the Danger Zone), or Collector, where it's a 1/6. Charged is only repeatable from Bard, with one once-per-battle availability from a blue. Steel defense is available from a grey, and it's a bad grey. (As mentioned, Steel attack is not that useful for Copycat unless you have some way of multi-targeting strong shields, and that's usually an item combo.)

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Fun to read the discussion, spellblade is quite polarising on discord too. The reason I changed them was to make the colour-identity a bit stricter, which also affects generated heroes.

There's so much more stuff in the game, it's likely I have the balance of some keywords a bit off. The algorithm for copycat is currently "as good as having cleave".

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Tann posted:

Fun to read the discussion, spellblade is quite polarising on discord too. The reason I changed them was to make the colour-identity a bit stricter, which also affects generated heroes.

There's so much more stuff in the game, it's likely I have the balance of some keywords a bit off. The algorithm for copycat is currently "as good as having cleave".

See, that's kind of the crux of it, because I agree with that 100%. "Having copycat is as good as having cleave" is a literally perfect metaphor! I just think we vastly disagree on what that metaphor is saying. :v:

Damage Cleave is mostly stuck around at tier 2 at one damage point, and it's bad! The expected damage on that kind of cleave is 1 with a possible "invested" extra 2, if there's two enemies and if you can kill the first enemy in a timely fashion and if the other targets don't regenerate and if they don't have retaliation. (If there's imps or spikers or especially if there's Thorns, the utility on Cleave can pretty easily go negative... But ignoring that for a second.) A one-damage side at tier 2 is bad damage, but that extra 2 damage doesn't materialize until you can start killing the other enemies you're hitting. That two extra damage on the other two targets basically has the Future keyword from the Seer's spell: next turn it might be useful, and you're getting extra value in exchange for deferring it, but on the current turn it's not actually doing anything for you. You're also still in tier 2, so it's pretty likely you don't have any way to boost the power on those sides until late in the tier, if you ever can.

Cleave 2 is theoretically much better. The problem is that it's literally twice as good and you're at tier 2 where 2 damage isn't bad, so the balance errs on the side of caution and sticks the dice with it on Cleave 1 instead. So in my eyes, it's detrimental to those characters to have Cleave on their sides at all. The Cleave side is the Collector's worst by a pretty big margin, for example. (And I consider Exert a very large penalty.) I think that versions of Whirl or Collector that replace those Cleave sides with Damage 2 would be better in a lot of contexts!

(Edit: Wait, I forgot that Collector has the Duplicate 1 side now. That's the worst side on Collector by a lot.)

A tier 2 Copycat is similarly hamstrung by there being no easy way to gently adjust it. Copycat 1 is weak, but Copycat 2 might be very strong, so lean on the side of balance and give Spellblade Copycat 1. But Spellblade and Whirl are weak classes in general, so in the context Cleave 2 and Copycat 2 wouldn't make them amazing, it'd just give players a reason to pick them.

Einander fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 4, 2022

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
I believe I'm on 2.02, but my spellblade doesn have copy. He has poison, spear, damage plus mana, and mana. Am I missing something?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Finally updated on the play store!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.com.tann.dice
https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice

Patch notes: https://tann.itch.io/slice-dice/devlog/434748/slice-dice-20-release

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
Brilliant! So much for being productive today.

Are the achievements and unlocks different enough in this version that it'd be fun to re-unlock everything or is there no reason not to just copy the achievements over?

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I think it's better to start from scratch. I rebalanced/tweaked a lot of achievement stuff. There's also a button to bypass achievements and unlock everything.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
Thanks. Can't wait to try it all out.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Tann posted:

There's also a button to bypass achievements and unlock everything.

Thank you! I wish all roguelikes had this. Binding of Isaac, I'm looking at you!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
oh god i don't even understand how to choose a curse for hard mode

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that's a big update :stonk:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
O happy day

Wonder if I can get this working on my steam deck. I bought on Android but might buy again on itch.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There is so much new stuff. Already found the sorcerer + item combo for infinite rerolls. The item that gives you +1 to your die each turn builds up pretty fast. Keeping them alive until it matters requires some sacrifice though. The dark magic gods must be paid in blood.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I tried a run and found a possible bug - the item that gives poison to the top and bottom sides isn't interacting as expected with Engage. The attack deals double damage but only applies poison to the base value.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

I tried a run and found a possible bug - the item that gives poison to the top and bottom sides isn't interacting as expected with Engage. The attack deals double damage but only applies poison to the base value.

Are you fighting a troll?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I killed a barrel which blew up two slimers and created 4 slimelets. The slimelets ran away but I got a cheevo for making a barrel run away. Not a huge deal but probably a bug

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tann posted:

Are you fighting a troll?

I don't recall. Are trolls immune to enrage, or something? It was the first round and I boosted Ranger's ranged+engage 2 side to 4 with Fey, then attacked. The attack dealt 8 damage and 4 poison.

E: ah, could it be that the damage and poison are applied separately? Then the enemy would have been damaged by the time the poison resolved so Engage wouldn't trigger.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

I killed a barrel which blew up two slimers and created 4 slimelets. The slimelets ran away but I got a cheevo for making a barrel run away. Not a huge deal but probably a bug

I also got the barrel achievement for having a non-barrel enemy flee. Not spawned ones though.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

I don't recall. Are trolls immune to enrage, or something? It was the first round and I boosted Ranger's ranged+engage 2 side to 4 with Fey, then attacked. The attack dealt 8 damage and 4 poison.
It should all work fine, submit a bug report next time. Or post a paste here!

Slaan posted:

Yeah I know about this, oops. Joke achievement ruined, oh well! Probably lots of other bugs to fix anyway, I'm expecting to release a fixes patch later this week.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
My immersion
:qqsay:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Well, I just got TPKed on floor 4 of Normal. Some of the new stuff is just so badly tuned it's unbelievable.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Jedit posted:

Well, I just got TPKed on floor 4 of Normal. Some of the new stuff is just so badly tuned it's unbelievable.

It was even worse in the first beta. This is a significantly easier version overall than that, but still significantly harder than 1.0. Maybe it's a case of "the alpha testers/the dev got way too good at the videogame".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I know that letting enemies run away has no impact on gameplay. But it triggers a Chase and kill predatory system inside me somehow and I absolutely hate to let them run away. Watching that last goblin flee infuriates me

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Jedit posted:

roll better, scrub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

This version is definitely harder than 1.0. i used to be able to beat hard 90% of the time and unfair 50% and now my hard runs are 50-50.

I think the fact that there are so many options means you're more likely to stumble into trap meta-options like not taking enough damage on your yellow/orange heroes or rolling with only aoe damage and then hitting a brick wall enemy with tons of hp or a basilisk that you can't kill fast enough.

Having said that: game rocks and I'm having a blast unlocking poo poo, getting achievements and slicin' and dicin'.