Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think the actors are old enough to be in it even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

My son turned 12 this week and asked if he was old enough to watch The Boys. We said no. He asked how old he was going to have to be. We told him we weren't really old enough and shouldn't be watching it.

lmao does your kid have access to the internet, because if so i got some bad news for you

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wheeee posted:

lmao does your kid have access to the internet, because if so i got some bad news for you

He does but we monitor it pretty well. And generally he likes to watch things like that with me, particularly since I'm pretty liberal about what I let him see. We've watched most of South Park and we've just got into Beavis and Butthead. He's seen a lot of horror movies that would no doubt make a lot of parents flinch. I've actually shown him a couple of individual scenes from The Boys just to give him an idea of the batshit insanity (the original "accident" that starts the show off and the head-popping Congressional hearing). We'd know if he was logging in to that account because he's too absent minded to cover his tracks, we know this from experience with Roblox and other such activities. I'm not naive, I know it's possible, but his time is pretty well accounted for.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

He does but we monitor it pretty well. And generally he likes to watch things like that with me, particularly since I'm pretty liberal about what I let him see. We've watched most of South Park and we've just got into Beavis and Butthead. He's seen a lot of horror movies that would no doubt make a lot of parents flinch. I've actually shown him a couple of individual scenes from The Boys just to give him an idea of the batshit insanity (the original "accident" that starts the show off and the head-popping Congressional hearing). We'd know if he was logging in to that account because he's too absent minded to cover his tracks, we know this from experience with Roblox and other such activities. I'm not naive, I know it's possible, but his time is pretty well accounted for.

If you showed him all that what are you worried about him seeing?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Probably nipples, those are way worse than violent death.

E: i would absolutely not allow most 12 year olds I know to watch this series to be clear but that's more on account of the horrific violence, both physical and mental.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Plus the whole crawling into a giant dick on screen. That'll be a core memory for sure.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Think of it as a cautionary tale about sounding

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Plus the whole crawling into a giant dick on screen. That'll be a core memory for sure.

That was one. Honestly, I was more horrified by the forced eating of a friend than I was by any gore, that literally came within a hair of putting me off the show altogether. The botched airplane rescue and Starlight's sexual assault also really bothered me.

Osmosisch posted:

Probably nipples, those are way worse than violent death.

Nope, he can handle over the top violence like that because we are both FX nerds and I'm not worried about boobs. As for sex, he's still in the state of mind where he rolls his eyes over kissing scenes. It's really the overall tone of the show rather than any single scene, although the ones mentioned above are, if there as any such line, over it.

We've drilled into his head from as early as possible, whether it was watching Marvel movies or playing video games that there is a difference between the violence he sees on screens and what happens in the real world, we know, we've both experienced it. He's a really sensitive kid who can, on the one hand, laugh at ridiculous violence in a movie and on the other be really disturbed by something he sees in the news.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That was one. Honestly, I was more horrified by the forced eating of a friend than I was by any gore, that literally came within a hair of putting me off the show altogether. The botched airplane rescue and Starlight's sexual assault also really bothered me.

Nope, he can handle over the top violence like that because we are both FX nerds and I'm not worried about boobs. As for sex, he's still in the state of mind where he rolls his eyes over kissing scenes. It's really the overall tone of the show rather than any single scene, although the ones mentioned above are, if there as any such line, over it.

We've drilled into his head from as early as possible, whether it was watching Marvel movies or playing video games that there is a difference between the violence he sees on screens and what happens in the real world, we know, we've both experienced it. He's a really sensitive kid who can, on the one hand, laugh at ridiculous violence in a movie and on the other be really disturbed by something he sees in the news.

Sounds like you've got yourself a pretty well balanced kid, you should be proud of him and yourselves.

I agree that you probably shouldn't let him watch The Boys, though.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I'm going to Big Brother/Big Sister twelve kids into watching The Boys

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My parents made me watch some pretty hard core stuff when I was a kid and now I'm a goon.

Let that be a cautionary lesson to us all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Source Idiom posted:

My parents made me watch some pretty hard core stuff when I was a kid and now I'm a goon.

Let that be a cautionary lesson to us all.

Now lil Open Source Idiom, for your 8th birthday were going to watch Tetsuo The Iron Man, The Devils and Come and See.

I do have a friend who's dad was a director and his mom a producer so he grew up watching all kinds of messed up, but arty films.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If you can handle Robocop, you can handle The Boys imo.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Sentinel Red posted:

If you can handle Robocop, you can handle The Boys imo.

That's one I look forward to showing him but that I've not let him see yet. Murphy's murder is still too much for me. I fast forward through it on re-watches.

Thinking about it, it's hard to quantify what kind of violence I will and won't let him see. As I said, the less realistic and more over the top, the less likely I am to have a problem with it I think. When I think about the violent scenes in movies and TV that most disturb me, almost none of them are because they are particularly gory or brutal, it's other factors. The murders in Michael Clayton, Heavenly Creatures, In the Bedroom, those are the ones that haunt me. Hell, Halloween is probably my favorite horror movie and it's not the killing scenes that get me, it's the stalking scenes.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Violence is pretty heavy on context. It's why, in the middle of a massive combat scene in Saving Private Ryan, Mellish's killing seems so much worse and wrong. It doesn't feel like combat; it feels like murder.

I think you've got the right idea of about filtering what he can contextualize.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My parents let me watch both aliens and predator as a kid, but robocop I had to wait until I was like 14 to watch because of how cruel Murphys death was. Other movies with action violence, that's okay, but what amounts to torture in graphic detail they felt was too much.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I was old enough to watch Steven Segall murder umpteen goons in Under Siege but heaven forbid I see a topless woman pop out of a cake.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

twistedmentat posted:

My parents let me watch both aliens and predator as a kid, but robocop I had to wait until I was like 14 to watch because of how cruel Murphys death was. Other movies with action violence, that's okay, but what amounts to torture in graphic detail they felt was too much.

Yeah I just rewatched robocop. That dude got hosed up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw Robocop when I was about 9-10, and the toxic waste melting that guy bothered me more than Murphy’s death. Also the ED-209s scared me.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

As a matter of fact, last year was the first year I decided to let him see a bunch of horror movies around Halloween and the first two Alien movies were among them. He later saw Predator and we had a great time watching the new one on Hulu. I've been putting together a list for this year's informal horror movie-watch and there's still some that I'm still holding off on. I thought about The Exorcist for a time and thought, "Nope, still a bit much." I'm going to show him Paranormal Activity and interestingly, my wife thinks it might mess with him because of the realistic and mundane setting. The one I'm most looking forward to is [REC], I finally got the boxed set of the four movies on Blu-ray. My wife refuses to re-watch it, it wiped her out. I think he's going to love it.

It's definitely the cruelty of Murphy's death that I can't handle. They are enjoying what they are doing to him and it's drawn out. The only narrative purpose is to make us understand just how bad these assholes are, but I thought it went way past the point it needed to go.

Panfilo posted:

I was old enough to watch Steven Segall murder umpteen goons in Under Siege but heaven forbid I see a topless woman pop out of a cake.

That scene revealed an inconceivable horror: Erika Eleniak got fake boobs after being the centerfold in Playboy. I still have nightmares. Seriously, it goes to the John Wick movies too. It's about cruelty. We can cheer on the massacre of literally hundreds of nameless pins set up for Keanu to knock down because they are almost always done quickly, efficiently, and because well, they "deserved" it. But the "murder" that started the whole thing? He was innocent and helpless. His death was completely cruel and pointless.

The_Doctor posted:

I saw Robocop when I was about 9-10, and the toxic waste melting that guy bothered me more than Murphy’s death. Also the ED-209s scared me.

Him staggering out of the goo was really awful but they sort of let you off the hook quickly by taking him out in such a gross but oddly funny way.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

you should watch Come And See with your kid

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Free on YouTube.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wheeee posted:

you should watch Come And See with your kid

Yeah, I've read about that movie. We'll do a double feature with A Serbian Film, make it a real family night.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A Serbian Film is very much about family. :allears:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yeah, I've read about that movie. We'll do a double feature with A Serbian Film, make it a real family night.

those are two extraordinarily different movies

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Mandy is very disturbing.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
The John Wick movies are so weird to me because it puts top-tier production values, pacing, fight choreography, etc. all in the service of a script for a crappy small-budget 80s-to-early-90s action flick like the ones RiffTrax riff on fairly frequently. The script just totally has that air of "I didn't do my research and don't care to because this is THE story my heart has been burning to tell for my entire life: the tale of a badass society of super-assassins, and the most badass one of all, the one who the Russian mob call 'Baba Yaga' because he is like the boogeyman. That's what that means, right? They both start with 'B'! Ah, never mind, it's an obscure folk tale anyway, I doubt anyone will notice and it would just get in the way of My Story"

Not saying they're bad, but they definitely show what some of those labor-of-love movies could potentially have been with the right backing.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Wheeee posted:

those are two extraordinarily different movies

It's two great tastes that taste great together.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm going to show him Paranormal Activity and interestingly, my wife thinks it might mess with him because of the realistic and mundane setting.

I could see PA backfiring because suddenly, his night time bedroom becomes a spooky potential. But it's really a coin toss, it might make him fall asleep with boredom instead.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just show him The Mist. The CGI monsters and stuff are kinda mundane and probably haven't aged all that well either, but the ending is pure :discourse: psychological hosed-up-ness

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If he's anywhere near puberty he'll pay attention to at least part of paranormal activity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

The John Wick movies are so weird to me because it puts top-tier production values, pacing, fight choreography, etc. all in the service of a script for a crappy small-budget 80s-to-early-90s action flick like the ones RiffTrax riff on fairly frequently. The script just totally has that air of "I didn't do my research and don't care to because this is THE story my heart has been burning to tell for my entire life: the tale of a badass society of super-assassins, and the most badass one of all, the one who the Russian mob call 'Baba Yaga' because he is like the boogeyman. That's what that means, right? They both start with 'B'! Ah, never mind, it's an obscure folk tale anyway, I doubt anyone will notice and it would just get in the way of My Story"

Not saying they're bad, but they definitely show what some of those labor-of-love movies could potentially have been with the right backing.

The Wick movies only make sense to me if I think of them as video games. There’s no ‘real’ people in the world, only Wick, the PC, various NPCs he interacts with, enemies/cannon fodder, and then background not even vaguely real people.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

davidspackage posted:

I could see PA backfiring because suddenly, his night time bedroom becomes a spooky potential. But it's really a coin toss, it might make him fall asleep with boredom instead.

Yep, that's what mom is thinking. I will give him fair warning if I decide to show it to him. I think he'll handle it fine.

Rappaport posted:

Just show him The Mist. The CGI monsters and stuff are kinda mundane and probably haven't aged all that well either, but the ending is pure :discourse: psychological hosed-up-ness

That's on the debatable list. It's a favorite of ours but yeah, that ending is so hosed up. And it's not like what came before it was a walk in the park.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If he's anywhere near puberty he'll pay attention to at least parts of paranormal activity.

Fixed.

Here's the list I've come up with for this year so far:
Blair Witch Project
Paranormal Activity
The Last Exorcist (underrated in my book, though I know I'm in the minority on that)
The Shining
An American Werewolf in London
The Ring
Night of the Living Dead
Shaun of the Dead
[REC]
The Invisible Man (the recent awesome remake)
Frailty (Still underrated masterpiece. hosed up but I think he can handle it. Still one of the only movies I can think of whose last scene literally changes the genre of the movie)

Possibly The Sixth Sense
I want to do Train to Busan but I need to see it first.

Last year we did:
Alien
Aliens
Halloween
Scream
Scream 2
28 Days Later
The Thing
Predator
The Village

Halloween, Aliens, and The Thing were his favorites.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Halloween, Aliens, and The Thing were his favorites.
He's just like me. Show him Terminator 1.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I kind of want to show my kids, 10 and 12 and a half, all the Gory squib-filled sci-fi action features of my youth, but I had on the first episode of Don't Touch Me I'm Scared and my son was done an upset by the fangorious puppet violence so maybe it's not yet time and I did not, in fact "turn out alright" watching those at a tender age.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

No Wave posted:

He's just like me. Show him Terminator 1.

No poo poo, we did Terminator and T2 a few weeks ago! He loved them both. Probably T2 better but that's no surprise, lots more eye candy. I got a great bonus watching T2 with him. At the beginning Sarah does that voice over saying that like before, they sent a Terminator and a protector, words to that effect. So we see Arnie time travel in. Then the T-1000 popped in and guess who hadn't been spoiled by dumb rear end marketing like when the movie came out? My son! He said out loud, "There's the protector." I almost did fist pumps. When we got to the mall scene and Arnie covered up John and fought the T-1000, my son let out a, "What the hell!?!" It was fantastic.

There's an ILM FX artist on Twitter who I follow who often shares stories about watching movies with his kids. I told him about my unspoiled son's T2 reaction and I think he was almost as happy as I was.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

No poo poo, we did Terminator and T2 a few weeks ago! He loved them both. Probably T2 better but that's no surprise, lots more eye candy. I got a great bonus watching T2 with him. At the beginning Sarah does that voice over saying that like before, they sent a Terminator and a protector, words to that effect. So we see Arnie time travel in. Then the T-1000 popped in and guess who hadn't been spoiled by dumb rear end marketing like when the movie came out? My son! He said out loud, "There's the protector." I almost did fist pumps. When we got to the mall scene and Arnie covered up John and fought the T-1000, my son let out a, "What the hell!?!" It was fantastic.

There's an ILM FX artist on Twitter who I follow who often shares stories about watching movies with his kids. I told him about my unspoiled son's T2 reaction and I think he was almost as happy as I was.
Ha ha well done! I'd forgotten that was even possible and I'm quite jealous. I'd also suggest 2002 spider man but you may have seen that already as well.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Frailty (Still underrated masterpiece. hosed up but I think he can handle it. Still one of the only movies I can think of whose last scene literally changes the genre of the movie)

More people need to see this, tragically underrated.

Also your kid needs some Total Recall and Blade Runner.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

:allears:

This feels like it should have a thread of its own. A/T? PMF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

No Wave posted:

Ha ha well done! I'd forgotten that was even possible and I'm quite jealous. I'd also suggest 2002 spider man but you may have seen that already as well.

Right? I took it for granted that he'd just absorbed from pop culture that Arnie was the good guy. I should have remembered that the movie came out 19 years before he was born and 31 years before he saw it. Oh god I'm so loving old.

He has seen 2002 Spider Man and Spider Man 2. Loved both. He's seen the MCU ones and they are a point of contention between us. He has enjoyed all three to differing degrees. I thought the first two were awful with the latest being the only competent one. I'm planning on showing him the two Amazings because, and I'll die on this loving hill, I think they are grossly underrated, particularly the first one, which I think is bested only by Spider Man 2.

Wheeee posted:

More people need to see this, tragically underrated.

Also your kid needs some Total Recall and Blade Runner.

Bill Paxton should have had piles of scripts dropped on him after Frailty came out. What a brilliant first movie. Then he had to die. poo poo.

We have not watched either of those and I'm curious how he'll react to them. My best guess is he'll like Total Recall more than I did and have a similar (not so positive) reaction to Blade Runner. I'm one of those horrible horrible people who, while acknowledging its brilliant craft and undeniable massive influence on film and sci-fi in general, also finds it to be an interminable bore. I will present it to him as an incredibly important, influential movie without poisoning the well with my opinion though.