Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pondus

Storefri

Yeah, one of the big challenges when you work with kids is finding comfortable chairs when you have a meeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

DRESS UP LIKE A SANTAMAN AND DANCE AROUND

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

As everyone knows, it is impossible for a child to jump in a leaf pile that has been blown into existence. Only hand raked will do.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Well, that's loving horrifying I guess.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

First comic on this page to give me an actual :lol:.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

God, Ian is just the worst.

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Big Rugrats All Grown Up energy here.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Lmao, is that horse dabbing?

quote:

Zits

As a former theater kid, I love this so much.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Crankshaft is, generally, less bad than Funky. I mean, it's loving bad, don't get me wrong, but at least the strip rarely tries to veer into cheap melodrama and realizes it's a gag strip.

But this poo poo infuriates me, and it seems to be the "punchline" of a lot of Crankshaft strips, even though it makes no sense. The last panel has nothing to do with anything else in the comic. Jokes build on their setup. This is just "Crankshaft said a phrase wrong." It's not related to any of the setup, he just said words that sound similar to but are not the correct words. It's nonsensical. It's stupid. I hate it.

I was going to say then prey species should all dress like Santa every day of the year to dramatically lower the chances of them being eaten, but then I remembered it's literally illegal for prey to protect themselves from predators if it isn't [species has characteristic].

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Missed Sunday for hangover recovery, sorry!

Chako

Interestingly, Chako's dad's speech bubble in panel 9 is nearly empty in the original - I think Q-Rais had something more planned for him to say and just forgot to put it in before uploading.

Register Cat

Cthulhu and Girl

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 2, 2022

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

That's ... definitely a cat.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yup, that's a cat all right.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (November 2-4, 1922)

Every time I see this guy I'm left wondering whether he was the inspiration for Joe Biden's "listen fat" moment or whether they're both riffing off of some other thing entirely.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Not a huge fan of Pondus but this visual gag works for me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Got a thing. Hell Yeah!

Curiously, it's a collection of the webcomics, not the updated newspaper versions. Which is cool because that means this will probably be a collector's item someday.

Crabgrass

I was always afraid of trying to do this as a kid for this exact reason.

Old School Peanuts (Nov 2, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 24-25, 1992)

"Smooching is optional if it's your mom" feels like a burn

Big Nate

Blind Alley

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 3, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Looking forward to Blind Alley delivering a plot point again in *checks calendar* late 2024.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Doomykins posted:

Looking forward to Blind Alley delivering a plot point again in *checks calendar* late 2024.
There have been plot points recently?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for September 23, 1926! Featuring a Garrett Price cover.

Percy Crosby:

(A list of English Channel swimmers)

Alice Harvey:

LJ Holton:

Fred G. Cooper:

And because this magazine comes with words too, this week movie critic/editor-in-chief Robert E. Sherwood just isn't into Battleship Potemkin: "I found the picture as a whole to be so utterly confused, so disorderly, as to be practically incomprehensible. [...] The director here has handled his mobs with unbelievable skill, but when he gets down to individual cases, he is lost."

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

PetraCore posted:

There have been plot points recently?

Has there ever been a plot point? I gave up on Blind Alley because it kept threatening a plot and never delivering.

Serious question: what is the plot to Blind Alley? Can anyone summarize it, or does the plot just not exist and this is Lost: The Comic Strip?

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

¡Aragones!

Almost nsfw’d for mosquito boobs

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!, now featuring Marlys!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

don Jaime posted:

Has there ever been a plot point? I gave up on Blind Alley because it kept threatening a plot and never delivering.

Serious question: what is the plot to Blind Alley? Can anyone summarize it, or does the plot just not exist and this is Lost: The Comic Strip?

Blind Alley is slice of life anime. There's no plot, you're in it for the character moments. The author keeps going "There's going to be a plot!" but never follows up on it, so it's best to just ignore it exists like the author does.

I like Blind Alley but if you want things to happen in your comic strips it is not for you.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Blind Alley is slice of life anime. There's no plot, you're in it for the character moments. The author keeps going "There's going to be a plot!" but never follows up on it, so it's best to just ignore it exists like the author does.

I like Blind Alley but if you want things to happen in your comic strips it is not for you.

Thank you, mate! I felt like there had to be a plot because I had seen things like the robot birds, but I can now permanently wash my hands of Blind Alley.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I think I've got a different definition of plot because I do feel like the odd stuff is a plot, but one moving at a very gentle, sedate place. That's only not a plot if the author actually has no plan for them. That said, the main draw is slice-of-life character moments.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i just dont like how it's doing it

seems like it'd be sick as a collected edition tho

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's the common webcomic problem of 'pacing is awful when waiting for updates, but it's fine when reading it all at once as a collection/archive binge', yeah.

I'm fine with it but I'm pretty lenient when I have to put zero effort into seeing the comic every day beyond opening the thread. :v: It's got an Atmosphere and it's not worse than a lot of stuff that gets posted, at the least.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 26, 2000)

Comics Kingdom part of the script is being weird so we'll see if it's fixed tomorrow!!

e: oh they just didnt update the site

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 3, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So... people actually rake up leaves and put them in loads and loads of plastic bags?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes that used to be and still is a thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Ecologically untenable is surely a good description then.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Thus concludes FLASHLIGHT WEEK, thank you for visiting

Edit: In one of the Nancy books, it talks about how Bushmiller got the idea for various objects in the strip (furniture, etc) from a Sears catalog or something, which maybe explains the fascination with a really nice flashlight.

manero fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 3, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

If you just queued for the dungeon, then you're not put out by cancelling. It would be if you were deep in the queue, or if your queue just popped, that you wouldn't be able to help! :eng101:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/2/02

Brenda Starr 7/28-30/49

Smokey Stover 6/11/50

Everyday Movies 8/17/35

"Harry wanted we should all go to the beach this morning, but you couldn't get me in those week-end mobs down there for anything."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Haifisch posted:

It's the common webcomic problem of 'pacing is awful when waiting for updates, but it's fine when reading it all at once as a collection/archive binge', yeah.

I'm fine with it but I'm pretty lenient when I have to put zero effort into seeing the comic every day beyond opening the thread. :v: It's got an Atmosphere and it's not worse than a lot of stuff that gets posted, at the least.

"Atmosphere" is a good way to put it. It's hard to say if the strip ever really intends to go anywhere, but even if it does, it's more about the vibe.

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 26, 1953)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ecologically untenable is surely a good description then.
Where I live the change has been to use biodegradable bags that are more or less bigger paper grocery bags but yes it's very stupid when you can just rake leaves into the woods and leave them there to literally rot because that's how nature works.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Has Blind Alley just become the Confusing Child Misery Minute?

Hostile V posted:

Where I live the change has been to use biodegradable bags that are more or less bigger paper grocery bags but yes it's very stupid when you can just rake leaves into the woods and leave them there to literally rot because that's how nature works.

Where I grew up I was lucky enough to have a designated neighborhood dumping spot in the wooded lot next door. Everyone just had a big wagon they’d load up and toss in the mulch pile. I’d lose my mind if I had to just toss plastic bags out into the world like that.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis hasn't uploaded today, so uh.... no Curtis.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean returns to its usual level of sentimental mediocrity.

I hate leaf blowers, or I did until this exact moment when Funky Winkerbean forced me to change my opinion.

Y'know Funky, if you're so depressed about it, how about you go outside and rake your own lawn? Instead of paying somebody to blow leaves for you, which seems to be the implication. Unless he's just judgmentally sighing at a neighbor's lawn.

This is just good advice

dismas posted:

ARMY
WIVES

Y'know I never noticed that the shirt changes from BRIDE to WIVES panel to panel, I wonder if this was an edit for the print/GoComics version that wasn't fully implemented

readingatwork posted:

Me Playing Splatoon Last Night (Nov 1, 1953)

A quality-rear end Peanuts right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Green Intern posted:

Has Blind Alley just become the Confusing Child Misery Minute?

The first strip is a kid waking from a nightmare of her parents being beheaded. Blind Alley is the confused child misery minute.