Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Riding bikes, riding bikes.

Had a decent weekend of it. Maybe I'll ride some more this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dema posted:

Riding bikes, riding bikes.

Had a decent weekend of it. Maybe I'll ride some more this week.

That looks like so much fun. I dunno why I've never done a trip to a different climate to ride bikes - not that anything is wrong with the PNW loam etc but that just looks like such a different experience.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

That looks like so much fun. I dunno why I've never done a trip to a different climate to ride bikes - not that anything is wrong with the PNW loam etc but that just looks like such a different experience.

You should try to make it to Merritt or Kelowna, it is completely different from PNW. Worth a weekend trip for sure. Even Pemberton is noticeably different from the lower mainland and closer to this deserty type riding.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Jamal, that is a series of pictures I can get behind. Looks like a great day out.

edit - Oh and Dema, too. What beautiful places to ride!

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

stratdax posted:

You should try to make it to Merritt or Kelowna, it is completely different from PNW. Worth a weekend trip for sure. Even Pemberton is noticeably different from the lower mainland and closer to this deserty type riding.

I'm yet to make it to Pemberton for biking. I've seen some vids and it looks to have some pretty sweet trails. Though most of the ones I've watched look loose terrifying and gnarly.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

I heartily recommend Happy Trail -> Nimby -> Rusty Trombone if you do Pemberton. Rudy's is overrated.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

mashed posted:

Though most of the ones I've watched look loose terrifying and gnarly.

Exactly!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Where's a good place to go with my mountain when it's like -35 in March and I'm sick of snowboarding? I assume like Nevada/Arizona or similar but does anyone have a favourite spot?

Also obligatory "I hate money" NBD post:

This thing is an absolute ripper, and climbs a million times better than my Kona Process. Am I skilled enough to need this much bike? Absolutely not but look at it.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 27, 2022

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Where's a good place to go with my mountain when it's like -35 in March and I'm sick of snowboarding? I assume like Nevada/Arizona or similar but does anyone have a favourite spot?

This thing is an absolute ripper, and climbs a million times better than my Kona Process. Am I skilled enough to need this much bike? Absolutely not but look at it.

Very cool looking bike. What is it?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I got out to Marshal Mesa and did half of Dirty Bismarck as an out and back on Sunday. Fun as hell and also, as easy as it was, about my limit in places, notably the few rocks and some of the faster downhills. I only walked a tiny bit. And then when we got back to the car, I found a bunch of lower back muscles that I didnt know existed which were incredibly unhappy.

I'll have to get out more to fix that.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

It's the Arrival by We Are One. The frame, rims, bars and stem are all made in Kamloops. Super cool little company that's been making carbon wheels for years and just started manufacturing their first frame. 160mm/150mm F/R travel but rides like a much shorter travel bike. Lots of pop and a very lively ride.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Suburban Dad posted:

We Are One Arrival 150, looks like.
https://www.weareonecomposites.com/arrival-2023-152

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's the Arrival by We Are One. The frame, rims, bars and stem are all made in Kamloops. Super cool little company that's been making carbon wheels for years and just started manufacturing their first frame. 160mm/150mm F/R travel but rides like a much shorter travel bike. Lots of pop and a very lively ride.

That's a really cool bike but you must leave Kamloops at once (if you live there), you only get one life and it's a hideous waste to spend it in that city! Come join us in the lower mainland it's more expensive and has it's own issues.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

That's a really cool bike but you must leave Kamloops at once (if you live there), you only get one life and it's a hideous waste to spend it in that city! Come join us in the lower mainland it's more expensive and has it's own issues.

I have transcended the lower mainland, spent two years there when I graduated university. Now I live in Canmore so I can repeatedly reassure people that "no no it's really more like BC than the rest of Alberta, I swear. We're progressive!" for the rest of my life.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 27, 2022

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Holy poo poo, you DO hate money. That’s beautiful. Goddamn.

I would say Sedona. Try to avoid the week of the mountain bike festival. Moab is an option as well, maybe a little more likelihood of weather. Don’t go during the Easter Jeep Safari.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Very cool, didn't know they did more than wheels. Very pretty!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bud Manstrong posted:

I would say Sedona. Try to avoid the week of the mountain bike festival. Moab is an option as well, maybe a little more likelihood of weather. Don’t go during the Easter Jeep Safari.

Sedona looks like it has some great trails! Is it worth getting a guide for the first day or two, or is it pretty easy to figure out the trail system once you're there?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Sedona looks like it has some great trails! Is it worth getting a guide for the first day or two, or is it pretty easy to figure out the trail system once you're there?

It wasn’t hard to pick routes using Trailforks or another similar app. I had a few trails in mind to hit, and we planned routes around those trails. I know there are some things we missed, but we only had a week. We’ll probably go back this spring. I’ve never really thought about getting a guide, to be honest, but I can see how that could be fun as well.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Jenson has some really good deals on 2022 Ripleys right now. I just snagged a Ripley SLX w/ carbon wheels for 2k off the MSRP. I guess they're begin discounted so heavily because Ibis just dropped their 2023 line yesterday.

Now I just have to count down the days until it gets here!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

drat, I sat on a Ripley waitlist for a year and couldn't even get an estimate of when one would be available.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

That is so hot.

I'll plus one Sedona and Moab for winter riding. There's some great stuff out of Santa Cruz too.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

We're doing Moab the weekend before Thanksgiving. So instead of like 130F it'll be a balmy 85

(And - 40 at night)

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

New bike day. Test ride a top of the line one, loved the bike but didn't like electronic shifting or need the lighter frame. This is the basic R trim. Would have gotten the S package, but the wait would have been till January.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

That’s the best color they’ve done in a long time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I love that colour. Whole bike looks fantastic.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
That’s rad

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Agreed, awesome color, enjoy the new ride!

Went to check out the TREK bike park in Santa Clarita, CA today. The 'hidden' trails that you see on youtube and stuff were like a 45 minute hike a bike (because I'm fat) up to the top of the range, we did one run after checking everything out and then my buddy had to do the doo, so.. we went back down to the bottom :(

The park itself was alright, 4 trails, green, blue, black and red, the black trail being the most fun out of them, and the red having a crazy roll-in that was almost pucker inducing to my still relatively new skillset.

Was fun overall, there's literally 5 pump tracks and no jump line outside the (pro) red trail really which kinda sucked, would have liked to see an intermediate/beginner jump line but we had a good time.

Glamour shot!

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
I don't know who needs to hear this, but if you're thinking about going tubeless and using gorilla tape because you already have it around--don't.

I spent 3 hours cleaning tape residue off my rims. Spend the extra couple bucks and use some decent tape.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Walrusmaster posted:

I don't know who needs to hear this, but if you're thinking about going tubeless and using gorilla tape because you already have it around--don't.

I spent 3 hours cleaning tape residue off my rims. Spend the extra couple bucks and use some decent tape.

Huh. I put gorilla tape on a set of rims like 7 years ago. They’re still holding air like a champ.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

snyprmag posted:

New bike day. Test ride a top of the line one, loved the bike but didn't like electronic shifting or need the lighter frame. This is the basic R trim. Would have gotten the S package, but the wait would have been till January.

Agreed with everyone else that that's a rad bike. Is that the new hightower?

I got out and enjoyed some fall weather this weekend, although this ride ended up being a lot of hiker-dodging since it's a shared trail. Still fun though, and there were a couple sections where I could have some fun anyways. It's always a crapshoot for us whether we can ride after Canadian Thanksgiving so I'm trying to get as much in as I can now.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Sadi posted:

Huh. I put gorilla tape on a set of rims like 7 years ago. They’re still holding air like a champ.

Don't get me wrong, they worked fine for 3 years. The pain came when it came time to mount new tires.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Agreed with everyone else that that's a rad bike. Is that the new hightower?

I got out and enjoyed some fall weather this weekend, although this ride ended up being a lot of hiker-dodging since it's a shared trail. Still fun though, and there were a couple sections where I could have some fun anyways. It's always a crapshoot for us whether we can ride after Canadian Thanksgiving so I'm trying to get as much in as I can now.

Yes, it is a new Hightower. I can't capture with the camera how it transitions between dark red and purple depending on the light. Where in Canada is that? I want to do a road trip next year with the new ride and am strongly considering BC.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

snyprmag posted:

Yes, it is a new Hightower. I can't capture with the camera how it transitions between dark red and purple depending on the light. Where in Canada is that? I want to do a road trip next year with the new ride and am strongly considering BC.

This is in Alberta, but pretty close to the border with BC. BC is a great choice, especially if you want to mix in some lift access days instead of pedaling everywhere. We really don't have any significant bike parks in Alberta unfortunately.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I forgot, said I'd get a video of my rack bouncing around next time we rode:

https://imgur.com/a/opiTaFs

Thule T2 Pro XT 1.25" with a hitch wobble preventer and the screw thingy tightened while wiggling the rack.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

New to mountain biking. Looking for a 27.5" hardtail. I've rented both a 27.5 and 29 and the 27.5 just felt more comfortable. Probably because I'm used to a 26" BMX. The 29 just felt huge and hard to flick around.

I have my eye on a Marin San Quentin 2. What's the consensus on it? I like the 65 degree head tube angle as I think I'll be doing a fair bit of downhill runs. I live next to Coler in Bentonville so will be riding there a lot. Any other suggestions are welcome.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Scrapez posted:

New to mountain biking. Looking for a 27.5" hardtail. I've rented both a 27.5 and 29 and the 27.5 just felt more comfortable. Probably because I'm used to a 26" BMX. The 29 just felt huge and hard to flick around.

I have my eye on a Marin San Quentin 2. What's the consensus on it? I like the 65 degree head tube angle as I think I'll be doing a fair bit of downhill runs. I live next to Coler in Bentonville so will be riding there a lot. Any other suggestions are welcome.

It’s one of only a few bikes I’ve ridden but I really like my Norco Torrent hardtail. Pretty similar geo to the Marin I think, slightly slacker.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Check the Nukeproof Scout 275 as well if you’re comfortable ordering consumer direct.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Well, that's awesome.

I had the trails to myself this morning.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dema posted:

Well, that's awesome.

I had the trails to myself this morning.

Looks amazing, try the fox ranger gloves I promise you it's a big step up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Welp someone put up a bunch of fishing wires across a couple trails overnight. I just PRed them yesterday so I guess I’m done riding those ones for the season.

I blame the horse people, just knowing what trail it’s on and the local animosity between the groups but it could just as easily be someone who doesn’t like bikers where they walk their dog in the morning.