Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

kept a bust of lenin on his desk but didn't internalize the thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbD1XDhKr8U

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

General Battuta posted:

Never directly touch the people you're loving over, never leave a clearly legible mark, let them kick up a fuss and let them be railroaded out the door for it. They own everything you did, they don't need you any more.

paragraphs that hurt to read

something debatably heartening is that sometimes they are the dumbest motherfuckers alive, though. like say, the leadership of a local non-profit food bank(lol) losing their main finances management person because they asked for a company-wide raise while the CEO has a six-digit income and our own employees have to routinely turn to food assistance.

if there's something to take away from all this, it's a renewed desire to make art and be ankle-biters for moneyed assholes whenever possible :)

i'm currently collating evidence of workplace abuses and looking for someone to pick up the story. we all have to be the potential to keep fighting these fights

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I’ve been following along for the past half a dozen pages and looking on the internet for more clues, but I’m turning up nothing.

Where is the “gently caress capitalism” sentiment coming from? Do we know for sure that’s the cause of any of this? I mean, in general, gently caress capitalism, but I’m just curious if there’s a reason that’s the current narrative in this thread.

lol

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Volte posted:

To reiterate what I said earlier, as far as I can tell ZA/UM never had a deal with Amazon. They have a deal with a production company who themselves have a first-look deal with Amazon, which means the DE show would end up on Prime if Amazon wanted it to. Production companies having first-look deals with distributors is pretty standard as far as I know. But it doesn't mean Amazon is developing the show directly or paying the people at ZA/UM. (I could be wrong of course, but that's all that I could find online). I know it takes on a more poetic aura if it turns out the world's mega-richest light-bending guy descended from the heavens in his shipping container and vaporized the very concept of creativity into raw capitalist energy, but I suspect the truth is probably a more mundane, maybe even more damning, indictment of the capitalist status quo: that they got taken for a ride by predatory investors, out of naivete or desperation, and signed a bad deal.

Very easy to sign away the streaming television rights to the video game you're trying to make. How many video games get a streaming television series?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Losing the setting must be heartbreaking for them, but the absolute killer would be if the core RPG elements were patented. If not, maybe a spiritual successor one day. If so, that's endgame.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
I don’t think you can patent dialogue trees and internal monologues

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Alchenar posted:

Losing the setting must be heartbreaking for them, but the absolute killer would be if the core RPG elements were patented. If not, maybe a spiritual successor one day. If so, that's endgame.

You can't copyright game mechanics. You can copyright specific terms to refer to those mechanics, but no one can stop you from, say, making your own Collectable Card Game that's compatible with Fantasy Flight's award winning NetrunnerTM collectable card game.

No one can stop them, or anyone else, from making an RPG where you roll 2d6 against a variety of skills that talk to you, as long as you make new skills.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

King Carnivore posted:

I don’t think you can patent dialogue trees and internal monologues

Have you *seen* most software patents??

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

You can't copyright game mechanics. You can copyright specific terms to refer to those mechanics, but no one can stop you from, say, making your own Collectable Card Game that's compatible with Fantasy Flight's award winning NetrunnerTM collectable card game.

No one can stop them, or anyone else, from making an RPG where you roll 2d6 against a variety of skills that talk to you, as long as you make new skills.

You absolutely can copyright game mechanics, it's just very difficult to get the patent and it doesn't take more than minor tweaks to get around the patent usually.

A dialogue tree isn't patentable, but if behind the curtain of DE there's a specific and novel method of sorting and filtering dialogue options according to player stats then that could potentially be patentable. I don't think they've actually done that though.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

John DiFool posted:

Have you *seen* most software patents??

Yeah I was gonna say, I’ve seen a ton of absurd Nintendo patents for what seems like really silly and simple gameplay stuff.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Alchenar posted:

You absolutely can copyright game mechanics, it's just very difficult to get the patent and it doesn't take more than minor tweaks to get around the patent usually.

A dialogue tree isn't patentable, but if behind the curtain of DE there's a specific and novel method of sorting and filtering dialogue options according to player stats then that could potentially be patentable. I don't think they've actually done that though.

Yeah I was also going to say that even though I’ve seen patents for gameplay mechanics, it seems like there’s also maybe a blurry line between something that could be software and a gameplay mechanic, or specifically, your comment made me think of Articy, which Disco Elysium uses for the branching dialogue options and I’m sure it handles a lot of other stuff, like stats potentially or things related to it.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

yeah, iirc there have specifically been patents filed for loading screen minigames, and the nemesis system from the Mordor games, too

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the loading screen minigame patent has expired now :woop: just in time for games to largely have switched to hidden/background loading, making the idea irrelevant

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
yeah didn’t nintendo patent the way npcs in wind waker watched link with their eyes

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
A lot of this kind of IP protection is as a defensive measure against patent trolls which are great at extracting settlements from big companies vs tying them up in expensive never ending litigation.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's almost like IP is a scam to rob inventors and artists of their contributions to society.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
UN JOUR JE SERAI DE RETOUR PRÈS DE TOI

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's almost like IP is a scam to rob inventors and artists of their contributions to society.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
you know in retrospect we should have gotten a little suspicious when someone opened a devblog addressing the userbase as bröther

that doesnt even make sense for idiot doom spiral

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Alchenar posted:

the same mechanics were in neverwinter nights

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Off the top of my head: Fallout series,Arcanum, haven’t played it but I think Planescape: Torment, uh I’m sure many many others

Dialogue trees that are modified by your skills and attributes are extremely common in RPGs

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

you know in retrospect we should have gotten a little suspicious when someone opened a devblog addressing the userbase as bröther

that doesnt even make sense for idiot doom spiral

Well, he seems to be running this shitshow atm.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
He's no bratan of mine

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
gently caress you, Tequila. It’s very high concept

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Idiot Doom Spiral would absolutely be a cryptobro.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

The original creators are being pushed out, at the sake of the Amazon TV show and getting the sequel game out in 2-3 years. What isn't "capitalism" about this? :frog:

Me selling my company to investors: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me losing ownership: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Mae posted:

Disco Elysium battle pass when
Soon:

rox
Sep 7, 2016

grim

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

wologar posted:

UN JOUR JE SERAI DE RETOUR PRÈS DE TOI

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
:10bux: to unlock the elite FALN tracksuit clothing set

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

je1 healthcare posted:

Me selling my company to investors: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me losing ownership: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

pretty sure the situation is more that they founded it with a rich guy or two for initial funding because they were poor art commies not that they sold it after the success of the game

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
You have to pay Garte rent, but with actual money

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cuttlefush posted:

pretty sure the situation is more that they founded it with a rich guy or two for initial funding because they were poor art commies not that they sold it after the success of the game

Yeah, it was a case where they had to make a deal with the devil to get the game made, and the payment has, sadly, come due.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Khizan posted:

Yeah, it was a case where they had to make a deal with the devil to get the game made, and the payment has, sadly, come due.

A tale as old as time.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

there’s gotta be so much more to the story than we know.

https://twitter.com/uzionmain/status/1576660152736157696?s=46&t=pNz6-sUIDT3amS0EQSpV9Q

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i feel like the implications of that tweet are fairly lovely with zero evidence backing it

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Assuming impropriety where there has been no accusation of such is a bitch-rear end move that twists "believe women" into a personal weapon, that guy can go gently caress himself.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

does “sensitive matter handled internally” automatically indicate it was sexual harassment in the gaming world and I just don’t know that because I’m not particularly familiar with the industry? it can be read as all kinds of stuff to me, like weird power struggles or other bizarre issues.

This is the first time I’ve paid any attention to studio goings-on because Disco is the first new game I’ve played and cared about in years; my previous gaming experience has just been with WoW (which I fell out of ages ago) and the Final Fantasy VII remake.

But uh, actual content-
I’m replaying Disco for a 5th time and doing tasks and character interactions in a completely different order than before with a heavy focus on electrochemistry. It’s wild how a build where nearly all of my skill points are in PHY make so many interactions completely different than the INT-focused runs I’ve done previously.

This thread is really long so I’ve not read the whole thing, but have any of y’all done runs where you try to max out every skill in one specific attribute section? does it make the game way harder later on or simply more chaotic and hilarious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

that specific person appears to be basing their hot take off of these posts from a current ZA/UM writer I guess:

https://twitter.com/axel_hexed/status/1576656086329094146

and a bunch of people at least outwardly unrelated to ZA/UM who are making sassy posts about "auteurs" and "Maoist cadres" but it looks like some of those have now either been deleted or the comments they're responding to have been

who knows, seems like infighting from industry people who have really obnoxious twitter personas imo. pretty par for the course.

instead of trying to Nancy Drew together a mind map of annoying Twitter posts I think I'm just going to side with the group of people who were ousted from the company they helped create unless something concrete comes out in the future.