Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Jo being introduced as 14 randomly during the middle of 13's run would have been an absolutely insane power move.

I still want this to happen so bad, but the way they have to make an international sensation out of the casting announcement, it is less and less likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Fit her between 2 and 3, extended Season 6b. We never directly see Troughton turn into Pertwee. The Two Doctors implies the Time Lords were sending 2 on missions anyway.

There's the out, right there. I hope RTD realized it as well and we get an explanation we can live with. Because yes, the police box Tardis for her does not make sense.

e: but then there's the whole business about the counted regenerations in that period and that's one too many... gently caress it, maybe that one was a freebie?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or maybe Ten didn't actually waste a regeneration.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Crapilicious posted:

There's the out, right there. I hope RTD realized it as well and we get an explanation we can live with. Because yes, the police box Tardis for her does not make sense.

e: but then there's the whole business about the counted regenerations in that period and that's one too many... gently caress it, maybe that one was a freebie?

Yeah, the Time Lords were forcing Troughton to regenerate and he was bitching and moaning and they said,"Fine! We'll choose ourselves!" and then apparently instead sent him and Jamie to give Dastari a stern talking to, then made him go through a bunch of regenerations on dumb missions until Jo Martin's Fugitive Doctor did a runner, eventually restored her memory, went back out into the Universe, eventually gets grabbed again and they go,"gently caress it, scrap the whole thing, wipe her memory, reset the regenerations and dump her in... I don't know.... Epping! :mad:"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Time of the Doctor basically confirmed what was long hinted at, that the number of regenerations was wholly aribtrary and subject to the Time Lord leadership's whims, so that tracks. All you need is to give them selective amnesia about certain incarnations and you're good.

If nothing else, RTD is adept at glib, evocative one-line allusions to a fabulously complex wider universe that will not, and probably should not, ever be explained in the medium of television: The Nightmare Child, the Could-Have-Been-King, the Silver Devastation, etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

All you need is to give them selective amnesia

Eight: Way ahead of you, buddy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

allusions to a fabulously complex wider universe that will not, and probably should not, ever be explained in the medium of television

Chris Chibnall: "Hold my beer..."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, the Time Lords were forcing Troughton to regenerate and he was bitching and moaning and they said,"Fine! We'll choose ourselves!" and then apparently instead sent him and Jamie to give Dastari a stern talking to, then made him go through a bunch of regenerations on dumb missions until Jo Martin's Fugitive Doctor did a runner, eventually restored her memory, went back out into the Universe, eventually gets grabbed again and they go,"gently caress it, scrap the whole thing, wipe her memory, reset the regenerations and dump her in... I don't know.... Epping! :mad:"

There's also a question of what does the time war do to this. There's a tendency to treat the war as a universal continuity reset so even though Doctor can cross back and forth through all of history, there's still a pre-war universe and a post-war universe that don't really intersect.

Not that it's necessary to sort out all of the tiny contradictions when the big ones are right there.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Astroman posted:

Chris Chibnall: "Hold my beer..."

Ok let me elaborate: I mean the difference between "any actual real-world product could never satisfy the infinite possibilities of what one single evocative phrase can inspire in the individual viewer's mind" vs. "this poo poo is stupid and nobody should ever expend even one iota of effort in trying to justify it"

Moffatt was, in my estimation, also really good at hinting at universes with deep, unexplained history, just from a slightly different angle than RTD. How can headless monks exist? What about those weird rotating-face freaks from The Beast Below? Well, I don't know, why don't you figure it out for yourself? Me, I always figured that it might be something like semi-intelligent Auton microplastics persisting in Earth biota after a particularly nasty incident that took place in the thousands of years that were never filmed. Stories taking place in the Deep Future imply the existence of Deep Time and adventures that are, at best, hinted at, and more likely never mentioned. Make something up for yourself! Who gives a loving poo poo! These stories exist only in our heads, so why not make them mean something to you!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

My guess is that RTD will reference the bits from Chibnall's run that he likes, and ignore/retcon the bits that he doesn't. I feel like the Timeless Child stuff, including the "Fugitive Doctor", will likely fall into the latter, because he's not going to want to feel bound to maintain another showrunner's continuity and such. I wouldn't look for RTD to explain or reference it much, if at all, when he starts his second run on the show.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Yeah, I think the best we can hope for is some sort of wink in passing that opens up a possible alternative explanation, but isn't any clear reference to those events/storyline.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

evenworse username posted:

Among other things, it would get us around the thing I can't get over (and I assume there was some lovely explanation for this?) - if she's supposed to be a pre-Hartnell incarnation, why in the gently caress is her TARDIS shaped like a police box?

The TARDIS obviously had it's memory erased as well

If nothing else, RTD is adept at glib, evocative one-line allusions to a fabulously complex wider universe that will not, and probably should not, ever be explained in the medium of television: The Nightmare Child, the Could-Have-Been-King, the Silver Devastation, etc.

"Am I.... ginger?"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My guess is that RTD will reference the bits from Chibnall's run that he likes, and ignore/retcon the bits that he doesn't. I feel like the Timeless Child stuff, including the "Fugitive Doctor", will likely fall into the latter, because he's not going to want to feel bound to maintain another showrunner's continuity and such. I wouldn't look for RTD to explain or reference it much, if at all, when he starts his second run on the show.

There's an interview somewhere where RTD talks, very briefly, about wanting to reference the timeless child mythos in one of the upcoming specials, and then deciding to back off and let the mystery be, or however he phrased it. Unless he changes his mind, that's what I suspect the take will be going forward under his leadership.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

At least we're getting more Jo Doctor through Big Finish

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Infinitum posted:

The TARDIS obviously had it's memory erased as well

"Am I.... ginger?"

With hundreds of pre-Hartnell Doctors, odds are several were ginger.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Astroman posted:

With hundreds of pre-Hartnell Doctors, odds are several were ginger.

There are some universal constants that cannot change

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’ve not posted in a Doctor Who thread since I think the 50th Anniversary so apologies if this is excessively long.

So a couple of months back it dawned on me that despite being a fan of Doctor Who since I was a little kid - back when the only way I could experience it was books in the school library or begging my parents to rent a VHS when they visited Blockbuster - I had seen less than half the classic stories. 42% to be precise.

Armed with a BritBox subscription, I built a spreadsheet and set off on my mission to to 100% the entirety of classic Doctor Who.

I’m pleased to say after about 10 weeks I’ve managed to increased my viewed percentage from 42% to 72%. A good chunk of Hartnell and Troughton are done, Pertwee and Tom Baker are both 100% except for Shada, and it’s just Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy to go.

Speaking of books it somehow escaped my notice that over the last decade the BBC has been reprinting the Target novelisations of classic stories complete with old school artwork, and I found this in Waterstones yesterday.

I know novelisations typically have some variance from the source material, often taking advantage of the medium for extra detail or being based off earlier scripts that were altered before being filmed, but this has some changes that are frankly baffling.

It’s written from the first person perspective of Ian Chesterton which is actually a really neat way to experience the story. It also disregards the events of An Unearthly Child and has the companions meet the Doctor and Susan at the start of this story. Im about a third of the way through the book and have picked up on some more changes (not an exhaustive list):

• The TARDIS is parked at Barnes Common.
  • Barbara is moonlighting as a private tutor for Susan driving her home from one of her lessons when they’re involved in a collision with a military lorry at the Common. The other driver does not survive.
  • Ian Chesterton is a scientist driving home from an unsuccessful job interview when he comes across the crash. He has never met Barbara before this point.
  • Susan uses the surname “English” instead of “Foreman”.
  • Ian is knocked out by falling debris while fighting with the Doctor to enter the TARDIS. The Doctor takes off while he is unconscious, and Barbara is too badly injured from the crash to stop him.
  • The Doctor is considerably more amicable in this book than he is in the show at this point and is much closer to his portrayal much later in Hartnell’s run.
  • Despite immediately figuring out the state of the environment is down to a nuclear war, the cause of the group’s sickness is down to air pollution as opposed to radioactive fallout.
  • The Doctor is horrified and overcome by guilt once he realises what the environmental readings are saying, and readily admits his deception. He doesn’t have to be bullied into submission by Ian, nor does Ian take the fluid link from him.
  • The Daleks themselves are somewhat more inquisitive, cautious and initially less hostile compared to their TV counterparts. Ian still gets shot though.

Make no mistake I’m enjoying this book a lot but it’s really screwing with me how I expect something to happen having seen the TV serial and it goes in a different direction.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So Steven Moffat’s new drama just gets even stupider.

The other A-plot involves a vicar (played by David Tennant) kidnapping a woman because she thinks his teenage son is a nonce (when the nonce in question is actually one of his church staff) due to some stuff on a flash drive.

So instead of either shopping the nonce to the police or trying to protect the nonce under confessional privilege, he instead decides to take the fall himself and even downloads more stuff to “make it more convincing”. :smithicide:

It makes Stanley Tucci’s wacky detective hijinks look good in comparison.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The more I hear about that Moffat series the more I convince myself he MUST be trolling.... somebody? Britain? Or trying to win some weird rear end bet with Mark Gatiss or something.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I’m pleased to say after about 10 weeks I’ve managed to increased my viewed percentage from 42% to 72%. A good chunk of Hartnell and Troughton are done, Pertwee and Tom Baker are both 100% except for Shada, and it’s just Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy to go.

Nice! Enjoy the sublime and the ridiculous from the Davison/Colin/McCoy run!

Also those book changes to the story are doing my head in. Love that Ian Chesterton - SCIENTIST! - and the Doctor - amicable old grandpa - immediately start throwing hands with each other as soon as they meet though :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TinTower posted:

So Steven Moffat’s new drama just gets even stupider.

The other A-plot involves a vicar (played by David Tennant) kidnapping a woman because she thinks his teenage son is a nonce (when the nonce in question is actually one of his church staff) due to some stuff on a flash drive.

So instead of either shopping the nonce to the police or trying to protect the nonce under confessional privilege, he instead decides to take the fall himself and even downloads more stuff to “make it more convincing”. :smithicide:

It makes Stanley Tucci’s wacky detective hijinks look good in comparison.

The funny part about this is that they could easily prove the data didn't come from any of their PCs by checking the metadata on the USB, though perhapa the Vicar might not know that.

It's entirely based around the idea of being falsely accused of a crime destroying careers / families, etc. which is weird in a show that opens with a scene that directly, textually and repeatedly, acknowledges the existence of #metoo.

But it also results in wonderful, heartfelt scenes where characters tearfully whisper into each other's arms that "everyone will think you're a paedophile" while sad music plays, and that poo poo just makes me laugh.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I mean, yeah, they’d exonerate the vicar over the USB drive, but then he had the stupid idea to download some more CSAM.

It makes the scene in Skyfall where Q plugs Javier Bardem’s malware petri dish straight into MI6’s mainframe look downright intelligent in comparison.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The more I hear about that Moffat series the more I convince myself he MUST be trolling.... somebody? Britain? Or trying to win some weird rear end bet with Mark Gatiss or something.

Maybe he took all of the criticisms of his writing to heart but decided to lean into them rather than addressing them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

It makes the scene in Skyfall where Q plugs Javier Bardem’s malware petri dish straight into MI6’s mainframe look downright intelligent in comparison.

I did get a good laugh out of No Time To Die where Q goes to plug a USB into a computer, pauses, and goes,"Maybe I should use an isolated machine for this...." :laugh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It was truly the movie equivalent of finding a random USB in the parking lot and opening Evil _plans.pdf.bat

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/sfxmagazine/status/1577270430980710400?s=46

I am a homosexual.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Jerusalem posted:

Nice! Enjoy the sublime and the ridiculous from the Davison/Colin/McCoy run!

Also those book changes to the story are doing my head in. Love that Ian Chesterton - SCIENTIST! - and the Doctor - amicable old grandpa - immediately start throwing hands with each other as soon as they meet though :allears:

Yeah it’s weird because the way he is written is very in character for the Doctor… just not at this stage of his character arc in the show. As mentioned before, when he discovers how dangerous the atmosphere is he immediately owns up to his deception and is fraught with worry for Barbara - so much so he sends Susan to try and find her. Quite a contrast to the TV Doctor who would have happily left Barbara to die had Ian not held the fluid link hostage.

As for the Daleks, they come across somewhat different, at least as far as I have gotten. So for reference the initial Dalek dialogue went something like this.

“The Daleks - TV 1963” posted:

“You will move ahead of us, and follow my directions. This way.”
No one moves.
“Immediately!”
Still no one moves.
“I SAID IMMEDIATELY!”
Ian makes a run for it
“FIRE!”
Ian is gunned down and his legs are paralysed.

…and here is the same scene in the book.

“The Daleks - book 1964/1973” posted:

Dalek - “What are you doing here?”
Susan - “My grandfather is very ill.”
Dalek - “Why?”
Susan - “What does it matter why? Isn’t the fact he is ill enough? Help us.”
Dalek - “Why is he ill?”
Susan - “It’s the air. We’ve just discovered it makes us ill when we breath it.”
Dalek - “You will all rest in a compartment we will show you.”
Susan - “But my grandfather is ill! Desperately ill for all we know. Can you help us?”
The dalek repeats its previous statement. The Doctor, Ian and Susan quietly talk amongst themselves and agree on Ian making a break for it and retrieving some medicine from the TARDIS. Ian is promptly shot as soon as he tries to run, and is knocked out. He doesn’t find out his legs are paralysed until he comes to in the prison cell.

The Daleks were always a lot less trigger happy in their first story but the book has elevated this aspect. Im curious to see how/if it carries through the rest of the story.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finished Moffat's new thing

Very loving silly by the end, plus it felt nasty and small. Which was the point that of the entire exercise, but then the show had Stanley Tucci delivering the cliffnotes from Alan Moore's The Killing Joke like it's profound -- I'm writing this like this happened during the pithy moral summation at the end of the story, and it did, but he also made his point at least once an episode for each of the four episodes, in almost exactly the same wording and language.

Ends on a tease for a second season, but honestly not that interested in it. Particularly since most of the good characters have been shuffled off stage (one in a huge clodd-hopping clichéd death out of nowhere as in literally hit by a car out of nowhere in the middle of the street, presumably because the narrative had no idea what else to do with her).

Tucci might as well have not been in the show, and it would probably have been better for it.

Edit: I did love that an entire plot point existed just because characters were too stupid to know there was a mute button on their phone though.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Finished Moffat's new thing

Very loving silly by the end, plus it felt nasty and small.

Reviews on IMDb would agree with you:

an IMDb reviewer posted:

It's fair to say writer & executive producer Steven Moffat just doesn't seem to be able to catch a break since leaving the position as showrunner of Doctor Who in 2017; Sherlock S4 (excluding "The Lying Detective") was critically panned & rejected by fans, his BBC reimagining of "Dracula" was torn apart by audiences before his adaptation of "The Time Traveller's Wife" was then subsequently cancelled by HBO after 1 season (due to the fact that it barely made any impression whatsoever, good or bad) & now, as if all that weren't bad enough, his new series "Inside Man" is unfortunately abysmal...

Hence, in the next disappointing project that's finally making its way in to the public's viewership, I'm honestly saddened to see that this show simply does not give the creator the "win" he so desperately seems to need at the moment, & is sadly yet another lacklustre addition to his growing pile of recent "misses", rather than "hits".

This waste of potential is especially confounded by witnessing the sheer brilliance of the creative talent involved, both in front of & behind the camera; Paul McGuigan for instance, the visionary director of "Sherlock" S1 & 2, who solidified his status as an incredible filmmaker, bringing the world of Moffat's most successful series to life (so I get his admirable loyalty, continuing to work with him since - in the hope that he'll provide another major boost to his filmography), who has again misplaced his trust in that writing twice & consequently been saddled with the unenviable task of trying to salvage a 2nd, consecutive, dire production from the jaws of mediocrity - either of which were doomed from the start by uncharacteristically poor scripts - & despite his best efforts to imbue some sense of personality or charm in to the show, his attempts ultimately fail & his skill is therefore squandered on something which is undeniably not worth the investment of his time or energies.

The cinematography irked me somewhat too... He used to work with phenomenal DoPs like Steve Lawes & Fabian Wagner & now he's coupled with Tony Slater-Ling again, who has an annoying tendency to continuously over-saturate his images & make them look very artificial. Thus, I can't even appreciate the visual aesthetic constructed - irrespective of the quality of the content captured within those images - because even from a technical point of view, the show's ugly to watch.

David Tennant & Lydia West etc. (the entire cast, to their credit) are genuinely fine, but the stuff they're given to work with is so contrived & subpar, even their most convincing deliveries (of some seriously terrible, middle-class lines) cannot hide the fact that this is garbage... And it all culminates to form nothing.

another IMDb reviewer posted:

I had so much hope and excitement for this series and sadly couldn't watch past the first episode. The material and writing are so bad and insult the viewers - it is almost unpalatable . I don't take any issue with a vicar having moral dilemma but the choices made and the way they are made feel unbelievable given that there is no premise built up in advance . The viewers are left to imagine 'why on earth would someone make such idiotic decisions' and what is with the annoying introduction to Stanley Tucci ? I absolutely love his work and to see him reduced to this is frankly painful. The smug unanswered questions ... the complete lack of respect for the viewers ... zero character build up ... I could go on and on ... just annoyingly bad - especially because I wanted so bad for this to be good!!

yet another IMDb reviewer posted:

No, but seriously?! How ridiculous is this??!! A 'Silence of the Lambs' type killer guru; a jovial cannibal sidekick with a photographic memory; a hapless 'no credentials' journalist from UK manages an audience with this crime solving duo - oh, they're in US on Death Row (course they are);in the meantime David Tennant is 501 wearing vicar who has locked a woman (was she the maths tutor? Who knows - no explication) in his cellar over something which could have been resolved in 10 mins with a discussion and a visit to the Police. Embarrassingly bad. Someone in BBC needs to give up smoking crack.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Someone’s probably going to get invited back to Who to reboot their writing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I disagree with a lot of those reviews tbh -- Tennant's reaction makes some degree of sense when you realise he and his wife are meant to be loathsomely incompetent*, for instance, and I thought the direction was trash. Lots of unmotivated spinning cameras and an insistence upon events being operatic when they're actually really small and pokey.

Tbh I thought the show was just really shallow, poorly motivated in structure, and has a surprising amount of padding for a four hour show. BUT there were some compelling parts and scenes, and there's some fun satire buried in there, taking the hammer to the British middle class and their insistence on civility, but it would have been better if Moffat just stripped about half the show and just wrote a movie tbh. I think that movie might have been really good too, though it'd need a much better ending.

*There's an excellent scene in the finale where the wife is complaining about how hard it is to get away with murder. It's ger first time trying to kill someone but the police, she says, solve murders every day. "It's just not fair!" It's so detestable and self-pitying. If the show was like that more often, I'd have liked it a lot more.

Also the show really thinks cops are good and competent, laughably so at one point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rumour has it that Sacha Dhawan has been persuaded to stay on as the Master into the RTD2 era. Hope that’s true, as it’s a great performance that deserves to be seen by a wider audience.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell ya

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/ProfDaveAndress/status/1577653226425516033

Meanwhile, RTD joins Armando Iannucci and Margaret Atwood in their weekly drink-themselves-to-death sessions over people taking their fictional stories as advice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Help us, Doctor.

Physician, heal thyself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The_Doctor posted:

Rumour has it that Sacha Dhawan has been persuaded to stay on as the Master into the RTD2 era. Hope that’s true, as it’s a great performance that deserves to be seen by a wider audience.

gently caress yes I quite like him. I've seen some comments that he's just a Dollar General Poundland version of Simm, being crazy and wacky or whatever, but that's not how I'm reading the performance. I love how he's always just on the edge of cracking up because he's fixated on imagining how funny everything is going to be when his plan works.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

gently caress yes I quite like him. I've seen some comments that he's just a Dollar General Poundland version of Simm, being crazy and wacky or whatever, but that's not how I'm reading the performance. I love how he's always just on the edge of cracking up because he's fixated on imagining how funny everything is going to be when his plan works.

The way his eyes dart back and forth for a moment as he mentally calculates whether he can cover up being caught out in a lie by the Doctor when she first met that incarnation, followed by the visibly gleeful change when he realized he couldn't and decided to just revel in exposing himself, was just fantastic.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/ProfDaveAndress/status/1577653226425516033

Meanwhile, RTD joins Armando Iannucci and Margaret Atwood in their weekly drink-themselves-to-death sessions over people taking their fictional stories as advice.

To Russell's credit, Emma Thompson's character didn't wear the collar to indicate she spends all her private time doing Erotic BDSM Chores

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CommonShore posted:

He's right up there as far as I'm concerned with any of the other Top Masters. Would be nice to have a Master around awhile again. Like so many in the Chibnall era, he deserves better.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Same arrangement as Jo.

Keep Fugitive Doc. Ditch Timeless Child.
Keep Sacha Dhawan as Master. Ditch Cyber Timelords.

Sacha was great, just a wonderful level of neurotic. I might prefer him to Simms tbh
His initial reveal was fantastic "I did say to keep an eye out for the Spymaster.. or should I say Spy. MASTER."
The little matchbox reveal as well :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Infinitum posted:

Same arrangement as Jo.

Keep Fugitive Doc. Ditch Timeless Child.
Keep Sacha Dhawan as Master. Ditch Cyber Timelords.

Sacha was great, just a wonderful level of neurotic. I might prefer him to Simms tbh
His initial reveal was fantastic "I did say to keep an eye out for the Spymaster.. or should I say Spy. MASTER."
The little matchbox reveal as well :allears:

Time to resurrect the spoiler thread?

And agreed on all counts, only Simm never really clicked for me until The Doctor Falls -- great performance in that one, "embittered, resentful seether" was a take much better suited for Simm than "giggly psychopath". Dhawan, on the other hand, occupies the giggly-psychopath space perfectly. Though little about the reveal actually makes sense -- if he was actually planning to do a big reveal he only had another 10-20 seconds to do it anyway, so why be so (briefly) resentful instead of treating it like a perfect set-up? I'd like to imagine that this incarnation, having spent years playing a long game and impersonating a normal human, was so cold-blooded and methodical that his original plan was to just bail without a word, leaving the Doctor without any time to act. When the Doctor ruins it by being a big clever boots as usual, it just snaps him in half and he immediately and permanently returns to being a cackling, grandiose lunatic.