Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Would be interesting if they kept up Suletta being all but unstoppable in Ariel but also her being an absolute cringe baby when not piloting and that being where the actual important conflicts for the show end up lying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Doodles posted:

We're off to a fun start. Let's see where this goes. I mean, aside from the inevitable mass destruction and death.

See thats the other thing I really want to know, what is the conflict in this setting, who is creating demand for all these mobile suits for over a decade?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Pisfool_/status/1576761457353842688?t=3rQpG7J2MSM88MN5rquXKw&s=19

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

Would be interesting if they kept up Suletta being all but unstoppable in Ariel but also her being an absolute cringe baby when not piloting and that being where the actual important conflicts for the show end up lying

I am 100% in favor of this particular character sketch.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another detail from the little side novel released. Suletta thought Aerial's simulation mode was a video game, and managed to beat her mom's score at age six.

Also more characters

Given that he lacks the Jeturk name he may be a bastard?

Update on these the EN site does not have info on a bunch of them, but the JP site does.

Rajan Zahi is a member of Cathedra and a trusted subordinate of Delling. Also like Delling he's ex military.

Lauda Neil is a 3rd Year, part of the piloting department, deputy head of Jeturk House, and Guel's half brother. While in the same grade he is younger than Guel, and is also calmer and more rational.

Felsi Rollo a 2nd Year Jeturk House pilot. She's the reckless type that does not think about the future. She also looks up to Guel as a pilot.

Petra Itta a 2nd Year Jeturk House Mechanic. She's a calm and intelligent honor student type and like Felsi admires Guel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Artum posted:

See thats the other thing I really want to know, what is the conflict in this setting, who is creating demand for all these mobile suits for over a decade?

Other Spacians I guess, they seem to be very paranoid.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Other Spacians I guess, they seem to be very paranoid.

drat Spacians. They've ruined space!

(How did they come up with a name even worse than Spacenoids?)

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it seems like the spacians are politically & technologically dominant over the earthians, & so there's probably some earthian rebel groups at the very least or something like that. wouldn't surprise me if suletta's mum is now working with them or something but i have no idea if that's the angle they're going to go for here.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Somebody better yell out "Gundam Fight!" during the duel between Suletta and Elan or I'll riot.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just watched the first episode and I probably should have watched episode 0. Not that it was hard to follow, but I still think I missed a few things.

That said, "cocky rear end in a top hat gets completely dismantled" is a trope I never get tired of.

EDIT: Also, the pilot switch needed a bit more connective tissue there, but the episode was overstuffed and something had to give. I suppose that was it.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 3, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I just watched the first episode and I probably should have watched episode 0.

That said, "cocky rear end in a top hat gets completely dismantled" is a trope I never get tired of.

Watching episode 0 probably would have made you more confused.

It's a pretty awkward shift from "Corporate politics, cybernetics as an advance of the human condition, and brutal murder" to "Literally just Utena"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kuvo posted:

I'll give it a few more episodes but the first one didn't do anything for me, which was especially sad cus I liked the prologue. I was prepared for the usual school plotline stuff but the immediate jump into dueling for a wife was absurd.

Yeah, the prologue kicked rear end and a Gundam protagonist that's a grown-rear end woman with a kid and husband seemed really cool, but as soon as I saw her daughter I knew she would be the main character of the series proper and not her mom. I liked the way they did the worldbuilding and setting up the conflict and corporate warfare backdrop, and the action during the climax was so sick. I guess we'll see how the battle academy setting goes, but the Utena parallels aren't doing anything for me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If anything I feel that the prologue is carrying a lot of promises that the show needs to follow through on in order to hold my attention. I want my brutal corporate warfare to rip down the facade of school life and have a class war against the Elites.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

By the commutative property she now knows what Maki Nishikino is too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I get the feeling the tone of the show going forward will be Whacky School Hijinks drastically impacting corporate schemes in the background, given what happened with that Duel.

I really enjoyed the episode aside from the weird pilot-swap that made zero sense, and I liked that they just flat stated "girls can marry girls here. It's normal, get over it", rather than dance around it. Poor Suluetta's had a real busy first day! :allears:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I get the feeling the tone of the show going forward will be Whacky School Hijinks drastically impacting corporate schemes in the background, given what happened with that Duel.

I really enjoyed the episode aside from the weird pilot-swap that made zero sense, and I liked that they just flat stated "girls can marry girls here. It's normal, get over it", rather than dance around it. Poor Suluetta's had a real busy first day! :allears:

What did not make sense about the pilot swap?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

What did not make sense about the pilot swap?

As pointed out earlier Suletta was just sitting around outside when she had an appointment for a duel like Homer deciding to rob the Kwik-E Mart. There was no explanation for what she thought was happening. She was just wandering around not thinking about the duel that she was supposedly going to participate when she noticed someone swiped her ignition key as the fight started.

It makes very little logistical sense.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I think Suletta is just an idiot and she's great

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah, the prologue kicked rear end and a Gundam protagonist that's a grown-rear end woman with a kid and husband seemed really cool, but as soon as I saw her daughter I knew she would be the main character of the series proper and not her mom. I liked the way they did the worldbuilding and setting up the conflict and corporate warfare backdrop, and the action during the climax was so sick. I guess we'll see how the battle academy setting goes, but the Utena parallels aren't doing anything for me.

I, too, hope action mom comes back in a big way.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

chiasaur11 posted:

As pointed out earlier Suletta was just sitting around outside when she had an appointment for a duel like Homer deciding to rob the Kwik-E Mart. There was no explanation for what she thought was happening. She was just wandering around not thinking about the duel that she was supposedly going to participate when she noticed someone swiped her ignition key as the fight started.

It makes very little logistical sense.

Looking at it again it reads like she did not know that it was going on right this second. Like, she may have been preparing or waiting for details, only to see that "Wait, its going now? WAIT, IS THAT MY ROBOT?!". It really does feels like there was a scene missing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Runa posted:

I think Suletta is just an idiot and she's great

To be fair, according to a documentary I've been watching on Kyoto's tanuki population, they're basically all some variety of complete moron. It's all a manifestation of their idiot blood.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Looking at it again it reads like she did not know that it was going on right this second. Like, she may have been preparing or waiting for details, only to see that "Wait, its going now? WAIT, IS THAT MY ROBOT?!". It really does feels like there was a scene missing.

I don't know if this is a G-Reco situation but it did read initially as weird, but going over the events again it's clear that Miorine was planning on stealing the Aerial to make another escape attempt, but when the challenge was made instead she used it to "fight her own battle" as it were. I do think that it could've been a bit clear what Suletta was doing when we cut to her, like if specifically she had gotten lost or couldn't access the hanger, but since she needed Nika's credentials for the scooter it's clear that that sort of thing was the issue.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Nuebot posted:

I, too, hope action mom comes back in a big way.

I think she already has:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really hope the mom isn’t revealed to be some sort of antagonist, because the only way that could go is that the message is that she’s rebelling against her corporate overlords too hard and that sucks.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ethiser posted:

I really hope the mom isn’t revealed to be some sort of antagonist, because the only way that could go is that the message is that she’s rebelling against her corporate overlords too hard and that sucks.

I think I may be about to blow your mind, but it's possible to have other messages. Or even more than one message. The show is already pretty obviously leaning into "corporation overlords suck", but the show also having a message that "revenge is bad" doesn't suddenly negate the first message; just supplement it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I feel like they'll take advantage of the split cour to introduce a change to the status quo and get out of the school setting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I think I may be about to blow your mind, but it's possible to have other messages. Or even more than one message. The show is already pretty obviously leaning into "corporation overlords suck", but the show also having a message that "revenge is bad" doesn't suddenly negate the first message; just supplement it.

'Corporate overlords suck but you shouldn't seek vengeance for their misdeeds' doesn't exactly seem like the most naturally harmonious blend of messages, though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

To be fair, according to a documentary I've been watching on Kyoto's tanuki population, they're basically all some variety of complete moron. It's all a manifestation of their idiot blood.

I don't really see the tanuki connection. Is it the eyebrows?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

'Corporate overlords suck but you shouldn't seek vengeance for their misdeeds' doesn't exactly seem like the most naturally harmonious blend of messages, though.

I doubt it will be that clear cut. It seems less like "but you shouldn't seek vengeance for their misdeeds", and more like "but you shouldn't drag your children into your quest for commit murder, making it a cornerstone of those children's lives and pushing them to (possibly literally) sacrifice their friends/lovers for the sake of your revenge". If it's anything like Char in the original show then it will involve not just revenge on the responsible party, but on everyone connected to them in a way that goes far past the boundaries of "vengeance for misdeeds" into "I want to murder people not even connected to the misdeeds for having the misfortune of birth to be related to the corporate overlord".

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 3, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Given the amount of backstabbing around, I assume mom's vengeance against "the corporate overlords" will involve working with another, possibly worse set of corporate overlords, which is contrasted with Suletta working with folks like the downtrodden Earth House and also Mio etc to realise the dream of using the GUND-ARM technology to peaceful ends.

I vaguely suspect there will be a reveal that Ochs Earth was involved in Mio's mother's death somehow, given the whole genetically bred space tomatos thing seem possibly connected to granny's interstellar travel plan. Which would make it revenge plots all the way down.

In any case there's an obvious distinction between Justice and Revenge in these things.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 3, 2022

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

tsob posted:

I doubt it will be that clear cut. It seems less like "but you shouldn't seek vengeance for their misdeeds", and more like "but you shouldn't drag your children into your quest for commit murder, making it a cornerstone of those children's lives and pushing them to (possibly literally) sacrifice their friends/lovers for the sake of your revenge". If it's anything like Char in the original show then it will involve not just revenge on the responsible party, but on everyone connected to them in a way that goes far past the boundaries of "vengeance for misdeeds" into "I want to murder people not even connected to the misdeeds for having the misfortune of birth to be related to the corporate overlord".

Suletta doesn’t seem to hold any sort of negative feeling for any of the corporate people so I’d say her mom has done a pretty bad job of dragging her into her revenge plot. You’d think you would at least try to indoctrinate your kid into your beliefs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ethiser posted:

Suletta doesn’t seem to hold any sort of negative feeling for any of the corporate people so I’d say her mom has done a pretty bad job of dragging her into her revenge plot. You’d think you would at least try to indoctrinate your kid into your beliefs.

The novel excerpt on the site clarifies that Elnora decided to use Ericht's desire to go to school as a front to send Ericht to the school as part of a quest for revenge, with Aerial being Ericht's sword in the school; and that even Aerial didn't want Ericht involved in it. We also find out that Ericht used to play the "shooting game" in Aerial's cockpit as one of her few ways to pass time, trying to beat her mom's high score. Which her mom almost certainly knew about, and so tacitly approved of her daughter training as a pilot from age 6.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think the most significant thing from the novel that doesn't get mentioned much is that from the age of 11, Elnora stopped coming to celebrate her daughter's birthday. This I think is a strong hint that her desire for revenge is consuming her and making her lose sight of what's really important. And also explains why she doesn't understand Suletta's state of mind.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i don't see it in the OP, but where can i find the novel?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I found a translation at https://pastebin.com/a2MP3j7R

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

:tipshat:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

It's very cheap and sappy, but man lines like...

quote:

"Suletta. My little pilot."

...and...

quote:

"Suletta is a good girl."

...hit me in the feels; maybe because it's coming from an AI that is itself rather childlike in some ways. I really hope they show leans a little more into Aerial's self awareness at some point, because there's some really good emotional veins to mine there, even in that short web novella.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/muilog3/status/1576892878818750464?t=ux9bVDS1E-3XMJZVoycelw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So when does someone make a Turning Red crossover fanart with Suletta becoming a tanuki?