Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked Donald glovers experimental anthology season well enough but this one is so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hurricane Ian has given me the opportunity to watch beyond episode 1, which was the definition of "Atlanta is back".

Nate RFB posted:

The ending of the second episode has me legitimately mouth agape.

My mouth opened when Lisa outed herself as the airline agent and pulled her "I HAVE A LETTER" schtick which I've heard a few times at my own job, so I wondered what you were getting at and holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck he ruined her book reading.

This gives me the same feeling where Saul was finally revealed to be the rear end in a top hat Chuck always knew he was late in the final season of Better Call Saul and I...kind of hate Earn now? (This stems from a policy I have to try to give front-line service industry workers as much grace as possible.)

veni veni veni posted:

I liked Donald glovers experimental anthology season well enough but this one is so much better.

Last season was massively disappointing after having to wait four years in the hopes of seeing Paper Boi And Friends Do Europe only to get Atlanta Presents Donald Glover's Short Film Festival.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I felt there was a reasonable amount of Paper Boi Does Europe last season (and most of it was in the Alfred plots coincidentally lol)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I laughed too hard at the "Rally's in Georgia?" line.

Mameluke posted:

I felt there was a reasonable amount of Paper Boi Does Europe last season (and most of it was in the Alfred plots coincidentally lol)

There was some but not as much as I would've liked as a fan of the show; the only episodes I remember off hand are the one with Alfred and the Goofy hats and the two short films which weren't really part of the series.

It's not like other seasons where things like Invisible Car/Barbershop/Juneteenth/the Drake party/Darius tries to return an air fryer in the middle of a riot immediately come to mind.

fake edit- The Nando's episode was pretty good in S3.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hurricane Ian has given me the opportunity to watch beyond episode 1, which was the definition of "Atlanta is back".

My mouth opened when Lisa outed herself as the airline agent and pulled her "I HAVE A LETTER" schtick which I've heard a few times at my own job, so I wondered what you were getting at and holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck he ruined her book reading.

This gives me the same feeling where Saul was finally revealed to be the rear end in a top hat Chuck always knew he was late in the final season of Better Call Saul and I...kind of hate Earn now? (This stems from a policy I have to try to give front-line service industry workers as much grace as possible.)

Last season was massively disappointing after having to wait four years in the hopes of seeing Paper Boi And Friends Do Europe only to get Atlanta Presents Donald Glover's Short Film Festival.

he didn't just ruin the reading, he set the whole thing up from start to finish. there was no book reading or publishing agent to begin with they were all actors

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Did I misread the beginning of that episode or wasn’t she seemingly lusting for her black neighbor through the window?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm caught up on the first three episodes and God, I wish this show were going to go a couple more seasons as seems typical (6) with FX shows.

A MIRACLE posted:

he didn't just ruin the reading, he set the whole thing up from start to finish. there was no book reading or publishing agent to begin with they were all actors

Evil Earn.

TheBizzness posted:

Did I misread the beginning of that episode or wasn’t she seemingly lusting for her black neighbor through the window?

That's what I seemed to take from it.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

I laughed too hard at the "Rally's in Georgia?" line.

There was some but not as much as I would've liked as a fan of the show; the only episodes I remember off hand are the one with Alfred and the Goofy hats and the two short films which weren't really part of the series.

It's not like other seasons where things like Invisible Car/Barbershop/Juneteenth/the Drake party/Darius tries to return an air fryer in the middle of a riot immediately come to mind.

fake edit- The Nando's episode was pretty good in S3.

For me the first episode that comes to mind is the one where Alfred ends up chopping down some billionaire's ancient tree because he ripped him off

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mameluke posted:

For me the first episode that comes to mind is the one where Alfred ends up chopping down some billionaire's ancient tree because he ripped him off

That's the Nando's episode.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

CBJSprague24 posted:

You must have missed the detail where she targeted POC at work, regularly and in a way that significantly negatively effected not only Earn but many others.

Earn was just karma being karma.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
The first 2 were some of the best they've ever done. They hit boht the absurdity and the emotional parts.

The third one was also very funny but not quite as good.

God this show is so underrated, or underseen really.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unbelievably funny episode. I do miss Van and Darius though

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I dunno, I loved the D'Angelo situation's complete metaphysical absurdity being wrapped up with an ask for money because it's an expensive enterprise.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Kinda wild seeing Van and Paper Boi show up in Bullet Train.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Van and Darius appeared in The Harder They Fall on Netflix last year, which was an awesome Western, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chris Knight posted:

I laughed because I thought "Oh I didn't know Paper Boi was British" and then looked it up and said "oh he's not. Finally Americans getting British parts instead of the other way around"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Van and Darius appeared in The Harder They Fall on Netflix last year, which was an awesome Western, for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

They were fun, Darius played a pretty good villain. Great Western/film in general.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

that was a great episode from top to bottom. all the side characters were so good

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

CBJSprague24 posted:

The episode with the Goofy hats and Al tripping with his symbolic mother kinda made it up to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Earn's dad rules :allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I felt so bad about the hat because it did look fuckin sharp on him!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

I felt so bad about the hat because it did look fuckin sharp on him!

Seriously!

"Oh no.... Church is out!" was an incredible line delivery too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That episode went hard. I know they’re usually surreal in some ways but this one felt extra grounded. My boomer family has the exact same dumbass squabbles among themselves. I got the same speech from my dad about dealing with this family for thirty years, you’ll be alright for one day. Also trying to avoid the youths at the mall made me crack up

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 2, 2022

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

That episode went hard. I know they’re usually surreal in some ways but this one felt extra grounded. My boomer family has the exact same dumbass squabbles among themselves. I got the same speech from my dad about dealing with this family for thirty years, you’ll be alright for one day. Also trying to avoid the youths at the mall made me crack up

My dad is one of those retired Boomer dads who loves going to the mall, the grocery store, the movie theater, Barnes & Noble, etc. when they first open, long before anyone else shows up to ruin his quiet happy fun times. He taught middle school for decades, so nothing annoys him like kids and teenagers running around, making noise, being rude, and acting like they're in charge.

The one cool surreal moment was the woman at the studio letting them know about the Bobby Shmurda exit, where they wouldn't be seen as long as they don't look back, like Orpheus rescuing Eurydice from the underworld. There seems to be a theme of secret passages this season, between that, the wet, carpeted tunnel in the funeral home that led to the parking garage, and the hidden rooms inside of the Rally's (not Checkers).

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
How do you even cheat at Uno

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Nonexistence posted:

I can’t even tell you, and I know I’ve done it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This whole season is so fuckin good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My dad is one of those retired Boomer dads who loves going to the mall, the grocery store, the movie theater, Barnes & Noble, etc. when they first open, long before anyone else shows up to ruin his quiet happy fun times. He taught middle school for decades, so nothing annoys him like kids and teenagers running around, making noise, being rude, and acting like they're in charge.

The one cool surreal moment was the woman at the studio letting them know about the Bobby Shmurda exit, where they wouldn't be seen as long as they don't look back, like Orpheus rescuing Eurydice from the underworld. There seems to be a theme of secret passages this season, between that, the wet, carpeted tunnel in the funeral home that led to the parking garage, and the hidden rooms inside of the Rally's (not Checkers).

A lot of the time I view the surrealist elements mainly as flavour without a lot of substance - not that there isn't meaning to them, but it really resonated with me in this episode. You can see the generational divide so clearly where every old person's action and motivation is based on them not letting go of the past - whether it's something that's been nagging at you (grandpa), whether it's ancient wounds ("You hate me because I'm light-skinned"), whether it's poo poo that literally just happened (the hat), none of them can let it go. But for your own sake just loving move on and don't look back. It's simple and obvious, but the way they showed it was weirdly liberating.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Atlanta is basically Achewood: The Live Action Experience, and I am very much here for that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

StarkingBarfish posted:

Atlanta is basically Achewood: The Live Action Experience, and I am very much here for that.

Paper Boi opens the door to his mansion, Earn's standing there and declares that he lives in his boathouse now.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

A lot of the time I view the surrealist elements mainly as flavour without a lot of substance - not that there isn't meaning to them, but it really resonated with me in this episode. You can see the generational divide so clearly where every old person's action and motivation is based on them not letting go of the past - whether it's something that's been nagging at you (grandpa), whether it's ancient wounds ("You hate me because I'm light-skinned"), whether it's poo poo that literally just happened (the hat), none of them can let it go. But for your own sake just loving move on and don't look back. It's simple and obvious, but the way they showed it was weirdly liberating.

Woah awesome analysis I didn’t even think of that

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

That may be one of my favorite moments from the entire series. Alfred could have pointed out to him that he would finally have had some yellow cards after the Draw 4s but, either way, GOD, this show is so good.

Maybe Donald will reboot it in 10 years if that's still the in thing at the time. :smith:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 7, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
This crack sandwich is good as hell!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
grits don't work on me... I've developed a tolerance over the years

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Hahaha "SHE CAN'T BE NOT 18 FOREVER!!! SHE'LL BE SPURNED WOMAN #8 BY THE TIME I'M DONE WITH HER!!!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So was that their demented take on Tyler Perry?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RandomBlue posted:

This crack sandwich is good as hell!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

RandomBlue posted:

grits don't work on me... I've developed a tolerance over the years
That was amazing

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
holy gently caress WHAT was that performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Since Glover directed that episode I'm scratching my head if Chocolate was supposed to be Earn or Glover