Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LRR is doing an Unfinity Pre-Prerelease and it's going as you'd expect
https://www.twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

LRR is doing an Unfinity Pre-Prerelease and it's going as you'd expect
https://www.twitch.tv/loadingreadyrun

if you're wondering how it happened: https://twitter.com/maro254/status/1576639415753277440

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That's just great. :,)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

congratulations to this casual 12/4

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lol I’m looking forward to drafting this

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My friend made a deck that potentially gets you a DUI if you don't concede immediately, and that was the height of un sets for me. I don't see any un set ever giving anyone the tools to top that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they made an active choice to stop making un- cards that force your opponents to do things, so yes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
cam just got the nearby planet and urza's fun house combo off for infinite mana, played opening ceremony, and opened a pack of kamigawa neon dynasty and pulled a reality chip from it (in his red/blue deck)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If I Commandeer a Mind Break trap can I change it so it doesn’t target anything if the stack after Commandeer resolves only has the one spell I want to cast and Mind Break trap on it? I’m assuming so (any number of target spells turns into 0) but not sure.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
https://clips.twitch.tv/OpenMagnificentTildeKreygasm-oCUyFMxZ4vW45OIw

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

If I Commandeer a Mind Break trap can I change it so it doesn’t target anything if the stack after Commandeer resolves only has the one spell I want to cast and Mind Break trap on it? I’m assuming so (any number of target spells turns into 0) but not sure.

No, you need A target, but also, commandeer is a legal target for the trap.
It won't be at resolution time, but it is during Comandeer's resolution, which is when you would choose the be target.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Interesting, so you need a target even tho it says "any number of target..."? That number can't be 0?

Comandeer doesn't switch targets, it takes control, so we figured any decisions about targeting don't happen until after resolution. We assumed the only thing you needed to declare when casting Comandeer was which spell you're targeting, not any of the changes you'll make once you take control). At least that's how we read this from Gatherer:

After Commandeer resolves, you control the targeted spell. Any instance of “you” in that spell's text now refers to you, “an opponent” refers to one of your opponents, and so on. The change of control happens before new targets are chosen, so any targeting restrictions such as “target opponent” or “target creature you control” are now made in reference to you, not the spell's original controller. You may either change those targets to be legal in reference to you, or, if those are the spell's only targets, the spell doesn't resolve for having illegal targets. When the spell resolves, any illegal targets are unaffected by it and you make all decisions the spell's effect calls for.

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 3, 2022

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

No, you need A target, but also, commandeer is a legal target for the trap.
It won't be at resolution time, but it is during Comandeer's resolution, which is when you would choose the be target.

0 is a number, so yes you can pick 0 targets

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lone Goat posted:

0 is a number, so yes you can pick 0 targets

You can when you cast mindbreak trap, but Fadam didn't, he cast commandeer which let's you change targets, not rechoose the number.

quote:

115.7a If an effect allows a player to “change the target(s)” of a spell or ability, each target can be changed only to another legal target.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 3, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Interesting, so you need a target even tho it says "any number of target..."? That number can't be 0?

Comandeer doesn't switch targets, it takes control, so we figured any decisions about targeting don't happen until after resolution. We assumed the only thing you needed to declare when casting Comandeer was which spell you're targeting, not any of the changes you'll make once you take control). At least that's how we read this from Gatherer:

After Commandeer resolves, you control the targeted spell. Any instance of “you” in that spell's text now refers to you, “an opponent” refers to one of your opponents, and so on. The change of control happens before new targets are chosen, so any targeting restrictions such as “target opponent” or “target creature you control” are now made in reference to you, not the spell's original controller. You may either change those targets to be legal in reference to you, or, if those are the spell's only targets, the spell doesn't resolve for having illegal targets. When the spell resolves, any illegal targets are unaffected by it and you make all decisions the spell's effect calls for.

THEY can choose zero, but you can't. In addition to giving you control of the spell Commandeer gave you the ability to change those targets, but that doesn't let you choose zero targets, it instead let's you change one or more of the existing targets.

But luckily for you one such target is still available: Commandeer itself.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

You can when you cast mindbreak trap, but Fadam didn't, he cast commandeer which let's you change targets, not rechoose the number.

Oh ok because the original caster of Mindbreak Trap picked X targets, you can't change it, that makes sense.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lone Goat posted:

Oh ok because the original caster of Mindbreak Trap picked X targets, you can't change it, that makes sense.

That's not technically it, it's a weird edge case of the rules that makes it so that a spell that has targets can't change to having no targets. But you can still fizzle it by pointing it at Commandeer, so it hardly makes a difference.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chamale posted:

That's not technically it, it's a weird edge case of the rules that makes it so that a spell that has targets can't change to having no targets. But you can still fizzle it by pointing it at Commandeer, so it hardly makes a difference.
I think that's exactly it. When mindbreak trap was cast a number of targets was chosen, that number is now locked in. Like if Fadam had 5 spells in the stack and mindbreak trap was cast he could only fizzle one of those targets because mindbreak trap can't target Commandeer five times.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

here is the megatron

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

here is the megatron

not a gun, voted 1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
trukk not munky

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

A bit later they ended up in a situation where Mark Rosewater had to rule that you can’t use a tarp to hide a person (to deactivate a line-of-sight effect). This is truly the rules change that will finally kill Magic.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Megatron has been a tank longer than he's been a gun.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

generatrix posted:

A bit later they ended up in a situation where Mark Rosewater had to rule that you can’t use a tarp to hide a person (to deactivate a line-of-sight effect). This is truly the rules change that will finally kill Magic.

LaVoy Finicum was just ahead of the meta

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

W.T. Fits posted:

Megatron has been a tank longer than he's been a gun.

Honestly it was always weird to me that such a huge dude turned into a comparitively tiny handheld weapon for other people to use. Like even as an idiot 6-year-old.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He could shoot on his own too, he just liked being held.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

He could shoot on his own too, he just liked being held.

So do I. So do I.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

When you think about it, a tank is just a big gun on treads

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

When you think about it, a tank is just a big gun on treads

Imo a gun is just a tank without treads.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

not a cg monstrosity voiced by Agent Smith voted 1

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fadam posted:

Imo a gun is just a tank without treads.

What are treads but moving handgrips.

Wait no

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

My goal for prerelease is to open a Bronze Tablet using Opening Ceremony and force someone to ante their phone.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
If I start to read pretty much any Unfinity card my eyes go out of focus and glaze over before I finish reading the card and I start doing something else.

It's like my bitter middle aged brain can't enjoy a goofy just for fun card anymore. :smith:

I don't think I'll ever read what the rules on stickers are either.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

th3t00t posted:

If I start to read pretty much any Unfinity card my eyes go out of focus and glaze over before I finish reading the card and I start doing something else.

It's like my bitter middle aged brain can't enjoy a goofy just for fun card anymore. :smith:

If there's anything I learned watching the LLR Preprerelease, it's that casual magic is absolutely not about reading cards, so you'll do just fine.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

th3t00t posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is probably the best What The Deck they've ever done, Double vs Nothing. the platonic ideal of magic, but it never turns out this way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdEU2LBI9I8&hd=1

and the highlights reel, but a good chunk of the actual stream was fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKUwEGXxtjU&hd=1

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MisterZimbu posted:

My goal for prerelease is to open a Bronze Tablet using Opening Ceremony and force someone to ante their phone.

Rule 407.3 says ante cards can't be brought into a game that isn't already for ante, and all official events are not for ante.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

My most ridiculous The List pull so far was a STX uncommon I got from a MH2 set box. STX was still the most recent standard set at the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

this is absolutely amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I still love that phasing is now evergreen.