Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Coward posted:

Isn't that a photoshopped one? The original is awkward, but less so, I think.

Unless that is the original, then shudder.

Yeah shopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

This fun new band is wowing crowds with their fresh moves!!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Grendels Dad posted:

I mean, they are rich and vain but they are also delusional. Who knows, maybe Trump thinks he has perfect posture.

remember when trump was all art of the deal and squeezed everybodys hand as a powermove until macron squeezed back lol

fuckin babies every single one

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Grabbem by the dick!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Carthag Tuek posted:

remember when trump was all art of the deal and squeezed everybodys hand as a powermove until macron squeezed back lol

Wasn't it Trudeau?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't it Trudeau?
Both of them!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Francophones easily defeat cheeto's handshake - reuters

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I typed up a bunch of extra caveats; Grammarly said they were superfluous, and I agree. We know US citizens would sell out anyone not directly related to them if it would reduce their tax bill.

I think this is where my dissonance is. Are people in the UK proud to pay taxes? If so, I am envious.

Lol kinda like the states people love paying lip service to the NHS and doing it their fair share for dead queen and country. Until they creep over into wealth and then become libertarians. British libertarianism is way funnier than the American brand because the Brits actually believe it and have been slashing the police and military along with the rest of the state.

It's a stupid island of contrasts.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Carthag Tuek posted:

He also used to yank your arm during handshakes to throw people off until the president of Kyrgyzstan just planted and took it like an unmovable boulder

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Kit Walker posted:

And when you’re dealing with a group that values appearance more than almost anything else, it’s surprising to see how little effort they put into it
They do not value the appearance of being part of a slick and stylish old money elite though. They value the appearance of a shrewd car salesman who moved up and made it entirely through his own cunning. It suggests that while rich, they're outsiders, well placed to drain the swamp and whatnot. I think the suits match exactly the image they want to project and correctly fitting suits would hurt the brand with the kind of people who would vote for him.

Edit: like even the fact that people who oppose him see him as an inept clown because of that is a feature.

Flipperwaldt has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Oct 3, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Flipperwaldt posted:

They do not value the appearance of being part of a slick and stylish old money elite though. They value the appearance of a shrewd car salesman who moved up and made it entirely through his own cunning. It suggests that while rich, they're outsiders, well placed to drain the swamp and whatnot. I think the suits match exactly the image they want to project and correctly fitting suits would hurt the brand with the kind of people who would vote for him.

I think none of them have the self awareness to reliably project a specific, deliberate image and they just kind of half-rear end because doing anything more would require introspection.

They are not cunning masterminds.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I think none of them have the self awareness to reliably project a specific, deliberate image and they just kind of half-rear end because doing anything more would require introspection.

They are not cunning masterminds.
It doesn't take masterminds. An eight year old would know how to dress to fit in with some people and to differentiate themselves from other people and those likes and dislikes wouldn't necessarily be based on deep introspection either. And it doesn't have to be deliberate to work.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Strong vibe from the Hallmarks Holidays movies:

https://twitter.com/daveaddey/status/1205953082338631680

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hallmark is the only people keeping old hollywood alive with the studio system that just cranks out 60 interchangeable commodity westerns christmas princes a week for the hogs with the same actors and sets

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who is watching hallmark movies? How do they make their money?

Is there some huge nerd whos way into the HCU?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My parents have the channel on 24/7 from the beginning of November until New Years. So, as with most things, the answer is Boomers.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Middle aged moms, selling ad space for middle aged mom products, middle aged moms

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Riven posted:

My parents have the channel on 24/7 from the beginning of November until New Years. So, as with most things, the answer is Boomers.

Exactly this, mine too.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I just bought a friend of mine a subscription to the HC. she finds it endlessly hilarious: the boomer sexism, the interchangeable plots, the ubiquity of Lori Laughlin.

I can't imagine irony-watching is a huge chunk of their market, though

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Riven posted:

Yup, same. Plus my gf once spooky season is over and she stopped looping hocus pocus and nightmare before Christmas.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend like the movies and she’s explained that it’s always essentially the same plot, a big city person gets stuck in a small town for Christmas (sometimes vice versa), a love interest who just isn’t right for the protagonist, also from the same big city, and a new small town love interest who helps our big city person find the meaning of Christmas and also sometimes save the lodge/family tree farm/rec center (ok the rec center may be from Breakin 2 Electric Boogaloo).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just watch them to get ideas for what pieces of furniture I can paint white

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My girlfriend like the movies and she’s explained that it’s always essentially the same plot, a big city person gets stuck in a small town for Christmas (sometimes vice versa), a love interest who just isn’t right for the protagonist, also from the same big city, and a new small town love interest who helps our big city person find the meaning of Christmas and also sometimes save the lodge/family tree farm/rec center (ok the rec center may be from Breakin 2 Electric Boogaloo).

...is stardew valley a hallmark christmas movie

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They're just good to have on during sex.

Edit: whoops wrong thread sorry

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It's not Hollywood either, most of these are shot in Vancouver in the summer/early fall.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
old people love the hallmark channel, just turn that poo poo on and leave the room, leave it on all day.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's background noise.

My mother-in-law had The Weather Channel on all day long. Or QVC.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arivia posted:

...is stardew valley a hallmark christmas movie

Depends on who you romance, but yes.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
my wife and her friend watch them "ironically"

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't it Trudeau?

Trudeau: You got orange cheeto dust and McDonald's grease all over my hand!

Trump: and you got black face paint all over my hand!

The Demilich has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Oct 3, 2022

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Lobok posted:

They're just good to have on during sex.

Edit: whoops wrong thread sorry

....what's the right thread?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

PainterofCrap posted:

It's background noise.

My mother-in-law had The Weather Channel on all day long. Or QVC.

Boomers love background noise. They can’t stand silence. I think they just can’t handle being in their own heads.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Lamech posted:

my wife and her friend watch them "ironically"

how many green sweaters has she made you wear?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hallmark Movie Channel also gets probably quite a bit of play in business settings. When I was doing physical therapy they kept half the tvs in the room tuned to hallmark movie channel and half to ESPN out of gender equality i guess. It's probably a safe pick in some spaces like that

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just bought a friend of mine a subscription to the HC. she finds it endlessly hilarious: the boomer sexism, the interchangeable plots, the ubiquity of Lori Laughlin.

I can't imagine irony-watching is a huge chunk of their market, though

Oh for sure. My wife mostly watches the Netflix ones, not HC, but we organize 1-2 irony-watching parties per year for these things, to the point where one of our friends had professionally printed bingo cards made for them.

Like “leads kiss in falling snow,” “the protagonist has an impossible job for their living space,” “at least one character is secret royalty,” etc.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

projecthalaxy posted:

Hallmark Movie Channel also gets probably quite a bit of play in business settings. When I was doing physical therapy they kept half the tvs in the room tuned to hallmark movie channel and half to ESPN out of gender equality i guess. It's probably a safe pick in some spaces like that

That honestly sounds like a huge improvement over fox news which gets played in most of the deep south

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

My wife "watches" a lot of these because they're sufficiently predictable that she doesn't have to pay much attention to them while she's grading. Looking up now and then and figuring out what's going on is enough to give her brain a break.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

I have a cousin in law who exclusively watches the Hallmark Movie Channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I have a cousin in law who exclusively watches the Hallmark Movie Channel

Are they a big city lawyer who unexpectedly finds love in the arms of their hometown's electrician