Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh cool! I was mostly just depressed at the idea it had fallen into the void, it's nice to see it just changed hands was all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Some songs got fixed, synched, and balanced. Here is the top three I performed and enjoyed.

Adrenaline Blaster S21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrZjka6um1I

Harmageddon S22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AxKAh3Z_Eg

BANG BANG BANG S19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72SbOMpmOVg

Also made it to level 69 in PIU

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 14, 2022

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I am having extreme difficulty with reads for dense sections of songs in IIDX. I’m using speed mods to break things up but my fingers just go stupid. Maybe I haven’t built enough muscle memory/reaction like I have for DDR yet. It feels like the difficulty jump is pretty extreme in from 3s to 4s (mostly playing 3rd and 4th style at the moment). Do any of the PS2 games have a fairly good spread of entry level songs or do the games all consistently get more difficult like the 5 key releases? I have a hard drive so I can install any of them.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

holefoods posted:

It feels like the difficulty jump is pretty extreme in from 3s to 4s (mostly playing 3rd and 4th style at the moment). Do any of the PS2 games have a fairly good spread of entry level songs or do the games all consistently get more difficult like the 5 key releases? I have a hard drive so I can install any of them.

okay so the early IIDX releases are all over the place when it comes to rating song difficulties. You should maybe start with at least 10th style or maybe even jump to Gold through Empress to get a better idea of what the numbered difficulty levels truly entail

but also, just keep in mind you're gonna have to play for dozens of hours on the same songs over and over again to make any progress. That's Gaming™

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Will do, I was wondering if that was the case. Beatmania seems to have a high level of jank compared to DDR (no song previews until after the CS releases stopped???) which is weird because it seems to be much more popular in Japan. I really enjoyed playing through the 5 key releases in order and seeing how the charting evolved but this does not seem to be a great way to go for IIDX. I’m also fairly used to Cast Hour and knocked out all the 3s in that and didn’t notice any weird difficulty spikes there.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I dunno how much it would help at the point you're at, but I know when I began hitting walls on the early styles I swapped up to Happy Sky and onwards because the new ranking scale let me figure out difficulty in a way that was more granular.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I never played any of the really early CS releases, my only experience with them is DistorteD and Gold (13th and 14th respectively), but those definitely had more quality of life improvements like song previews.

I was taking a look a Remywiki and apparently Sudden+, which gives you the top lane cover, doesn't event appear on a CS release until Red (11th) so that'd probably be a good place to start.

mes fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 14, 2022

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Is sudden+ used by a lot of IIDX players? I’ve definitely noticed it helps if I keep my eyes focused on a pretty narrow area. I never had that problem with DDR and I’m always surprised when I see people using it.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Sudden+ used to be necessary and it used be called "towel mode" because people would put a literal towel over the top of the machine to hide the notes coming down a bit, back before the actual Sudden+ was implemented. This was back when the high speed modes weren't fast enough to support really slow songs like Ganymede especially. I don't use it anymore because they standardized the high speed settings on the later versions and the notes can be spaced out well enough now that its not really needed.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 14, 2022

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It was floating/green number high speed that helped me really get into IIDX. I'd been playing 7key on and off since 6th Style as I tried it while living in Japan but getting the right hi-speed was my second biggest problem after the often inaccurate song difficulty ratings. Once I got a good speed then that really made the game a lot less stressful. I'm surprised you can't just select a default 'number' like you can in SDVX yet.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I think Sudden+, with its lane cover, was necessary to achieve more granule green numbers because speed multipliers were locked into half or steps or something, I forget the history exactly. I think with the introduction of floating high speed in Tricoro (v20), you can achieve whatever green number with whatever settings your prefer.

Unfortunately, the CS PS2 releases don’t have FHS so most likely you’d want to use Sudden+ to get the green number you’d want.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
It's been years since I played, but my preference was always to combine sudden+ with a relevant high speed to play on a consistent "green number" with a roughly consistent proportion of the screen occluded so my peripheral vision wouldn't be distracted by info I couldn't use. This is something I wished every rhythm game offered.

dirby fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 14, 2022

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

holefoods posted:

Is sudden+ used by a lot of IIDX players? I’ve definitely noticed it helps if I keep my eyes focused on a pretty narrow area. I never had that problem with DDR and I’m always surprised when I see people using it.
It definitely is. Everyone should at least try to use SUD+ (unless perhaps you use a whole ton of Lift) since cutting out some of your peripheral vision helps your brain focus better on the notes that remains. Seems silly but it absolutely works. Other than that, especially with FHS, it helps finetune your read speed + reaction time. Ideally you find a speed (Green Number) and SUD+ combination that has you naturally hit notes when you see them and when it feels right to you and you automatically get almost all Just Greats.

Worth mentioning that using an amount of Lift, even with SUD+, can help make the game more comfortable. For me it helps me not tilt my neck / look downward as much at the red line. For very tall players you can push the red line wayyyy up there.

uiruki posted:

It was floating/green number high speed that helped me really get into IIDX. I'd been playing 7key on and off since 6th Style as I tried it while living in Japan but getting the right hi-speed was my second biggest problem after the often inaccurate song difficulty ratings. Once I got a good speed then that really made the game a lot less stressful. I'm surprised you can't just select a default 'number' like you can in SDVX yet.
You can actually do this, you should just need to enable SUD+ then use SUD+ and speed adjustment to set desired Green Number, then press something like Start + VEFX/ Start + Effector to lock it in. You'll then have the same GN for every song (based on starting BPM).

mes posted:

I think Sudden+, with its lane cover, was necessary to achieve more granule green numbers because speed multipliers were locked into half or steps or something, I forget the history exactly. I think with the introduction of floating high speed in Tricoro (v20), you can achieve whatever green number with whatever settings your prefer.

Unfortunately, the CS PS2 releases don’t have FHS so most likely you’d want to use Sudden+ to get the green number you’d want.
Yep, FHS was Tricoro and on only. Otherwise you'll have to cope with coarse speed adjustments + SUD+ or Towel on PS2. On a few monitors I've gotten out a ruler and piece of tape and made tick marks every 25 values of SUD+ so that I can use Towel and cut off my desired amount more precisely (optimally, you combine this with a Green Number calculator, which can also help you for RED-DD that lack it).

https://twitter.com/DanAdamKOF/status/678465636305997824?s=20&t=MqxypdEVcY8-ckh2nYuIOg

dirby posted:

It's been years since I played, but my preference was always to combine sudden+ with a relevant high speed to play on a consistent "green number" with a roughly consistent proportion of the screen occluded so my peripheral vision wouldn't be distracted by info I co UK lent use. This is something I wished every rhythm game offered.
Yep this is the way.

DanAdamKOF fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 14, 2022

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Okay, moved on to RED - amazing at how similar the song list interface is still in Cast Hour and also lol at konmai for not having the game running in 480i until 2006. Difficulty here is way more similar to what I was expecting from Cast Hour familiarity.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I might get basic course just so I can move the judgement behind the arrows in DDR (and I guess having fast/slow will be helpful, hypothetically, although I can't imagine I'm good enough to use that information, haha). When I subscribe, will the option just show up in the options menu on the arcade or do I need to change something on the website?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

You don’t have to get basic course any longer for that option, just go to the game settings (ゲーム設定) under the setting menu. This only works for A3, I don’t think there’s any way at all to alter settings for A20+ through e-amuse anymore. The judgment placement option is on the bottom left and is labeled 判定表示の優先度. Fast/slow is just to the right of that.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I'm at Dave & Busters, so still rocking A20+ only. The eAmuse site for it is still active, but it does seem to require basic course:

Other options, like filter or arrow settings, I could change. This one's gonna cost me a latte a month. But thanks to your help I was able to find it on the website, so I appreciate the help!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Boxman posted:

I'm at Dave & Busters, so still rocking A20+ only. The eAmuse site for it is still active, but it does seem to require basic course:

Other options, like filter or arrow settings, I could change. This one's gonna cost me a latte a month. But thanks to your help I was able to find it on the website, so I appreciate the help!

Oh, great! I guess I’m just locked out of A20+ since I first used my card on A3. I knew there was some data transfer thing but I didn’t think I’d be completely unable to see A20+ as a result. I can still log in on A20+ but nothing else.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Boxman posted:

You should just need to subscribe for one month to change the settings. Then unless you need to change something else you can just not continue the subscription.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I think only the machines in Japan actually require a PASELI subscription, the ones in the USA will let you activate the advanced settings just by setting up an account with an E-AMUSE card and scanning in/entering your passcode on the machine. At least that unlocks the extra high speed options and other stuff for me.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

DanAdamKOF posted:

You should just need to subscribe for one month to change the settings. Then unless you need to change something else you can just not continue the subscription.

This is hilarious and I will absolutely be trying it.

Mercury_Storm posted:

I think only the machines in Japan actually require a PASELI subscription, the ones in the USA will let you activate the advanced settings just by setting up an account with an E-AMUSE card and scanning in/entering your passcode on the machine. At least that unlocks the extra high speed options and other stuff for me.

Yeah, from what I know, only these options are locked behind basic course. Everything else - including premium play - is accessible with just the eamuse card, don't even need to link a Konami ID.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Im exhausted.

Today was my birthday. I I drove three hours to a Dave and Busters and danced my loving rear end off.

Ice of Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm6V7Xf6GjY

King of Sales
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAQk0Y5mPuY

Nemesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkxP_EHcvd8

Vanish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyEiPZko3vc

DJ Otada
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZvcE8j5LkI&t=1s

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Happy birthday! Man, Pump looks super fun. I really need to get out to the arcade and try it one of these days. I feel like after two decades of DDR it will be like learning to walk all over again.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

holefoods posted:

Okay, moved on to RED - amazing at how similar the song list interface is still in Cast Hour and also lol at konmai for not having the game running in 480i until 2006. Difficulty here is way more similar to what I was expecting from Cast Hour familiarity.

I forget the specifics, but there was a designer or two that started working on IIDX in I wanna say 5th or 6th style, and they started by overhauling the UI. If you go back in time and look at all the old interfaces, you can see when they finally settled on the "right side scrolling list" look that has basically stuck all the way to the present day. The only time it was shaken up at all was Resort Anthem when they gave the song list a bit of a curve like the older DDR games. It went right back to a straight line in Lincle.

And yeah, for the most part, "modern" charts have a better flow to them which just feel more comfortable overall to play. You can see a shift after 10th Style. There are still a lot of curveball patterns but nothing as egregious as some really old Another charts.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Harriet Carker posted:

Happy birthday! Man, Pump looks super fun. I really need to get out to the arcade and try it one of these days. I feel like after two decades of DDR it will be like learning to walk all over again.

If you have the rhythm like when you play DDR it's really not that much of a difference. It can get tiring with the extra twists and whatnot. Good luck! And let me know if you need guidance.

Got my hands on some more simpacks and honestly some of these are really well made. A few might be copyright restricted for Youtube only. So if the video does not play you know the drill.

Chop Suey! S21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDNLpny5_qE

Awaken S20 :siren: Seizure warning :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00qXJFShOao

Deathmask Divine S25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ5hunWPXPM

Angst S17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuSA3dmt0EE

End of All Hope S17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MTP-feivPw

Also finally made it to level 100 and can have my own custom titles.

Edit: Not ashamed of sharing songs I fail in on the first try. Another SOAD song that was really fun to play but was a headache to read. Some of these charts I feel are graded lower than it's intended legal song counterpart on an actual cabnet. But either way these songs I do enjoy sharing my pain with others.

Genocidal Humanoidz S21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvWeEeJHhg

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 2, 2022

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

I need some play advice for DDR. Anyone have any tips on improving accuracy? i'm passing 14s comfortably and a handful of 15s, but I'm great attacking everything, even when I drop way below that level. I've tried turning on sudden, and it helps, but I'm hitting the limits of my ability to actually read the notes and react in a way that doesn't cost a ton of energy. The good news is that after getting basic course (thanks again, thread) I know I'm hitting the vast majority of my notes fast rather than slow, which at least gives me something more specific to fix.

The obvious answer is to just drop my difficulty down a bit and grind it out, really focusing on accuracy. If that's all that can be done, that's fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has any specific advice. I've been playing DDR on and off for...uhhh...23-ish years now, and I have so many ingrained habits its very possible I'm missing something. Ghost stepping is something that I only started picking up somewhat recently, and I can't use the bar reliably unless the run is fast enough I need to lean on it.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

First big question is what speed are you reading at that you feel like you're hitting the limits of your ability to read notes? I know all the newer players read at really high BPMs but if it's too much for you, then it's too much - find a sweet spot where you can still discern patterns and read comfortably.

Regarding improving accuracy, it could be a lot of things - can you hear the music well enough where you play? Are you getting a bit too amped up playing the song and trying to hit steps faster than you need to? The latter is definitely a big problem for me - if I notice I'm getting a bunch of greats then I know I need to chill a bit and match up with the song better.

You may want to consider the need to absolutely go back to basics with your playstyle as well. I've been playing on and off for about 20 years and I got into it again earlier this year. I found that I just couldn't really get into 14s without using the bar, and I think a lot of it had to do with a kind of messy and not very disciplined play style when it came to movement. Going no bar over a certain difficulty just doesn't seem to be something everyone can do. I watched a ton of YouTube videos of the higher level players and their technique and completely changed how I play. It's tough to do and I definitely had to step down a lot in difficulty to change my play style, but it's not like it's a race or anything so don't be afraid to do it.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Consistently getting lots of Fast could mean your reaction speed and read speed are misaligned such that you rush everything. Try increasing the scroll speed a little.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Boxman posted:

I need some play advice for DDR. Anyone have any tips on improving accuracy?

I agree with everyone what is said so far. I have not played DDR in years but I do remember the arrows are colored different if the steps represent a sharper step. Like 1/4 step colors look different than 1/16 step colors. Is this still a hint with DDR nowadays?

What is Ghost stepping?

PIU does not have luxury but it does forgive you with mechanics that I do not know officially. I call it "Galloping" to hit steps at the same time but delaying slightly on arrows that follow quickly after like comparing 1/16th steps. But this follows through with anticipating certain steps.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Katamari Democracy posted:

I agree with everyone what is said so far. I have not played DDR in years but I do remember the arrows are colored different if the steps represent a sharper step. Like 1/4 step colors look different than 1/16 step colors. Is this still a hint with DDR nowadays?

What is Ghost stepping?

PIU does not have luxury but it does forgive you with mechanics that I do not know officially. I call it "Galloping" to hit steps at the same time but delaying slightly on arrows that follow quickly after like comparing 1/16th steps. But this follows through with anticipating certain steps.

The timing window in PIU is also HUGE so you can get away with a lot more when it comes to timing. Doing any of those patterns with high accuracy would be super tough haha.

Arrow colors are still differently colored for different steps unless you use flat. I'm assuming Flat is still a thing in DDR A though.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

infinite99 posted:

The timing window in PIU is also HUGE

You are not wrong. You can mash a lot in PIU and still nail at least greats and perfects.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I recommend playing easier songs and really focusing hard on accuracy. If you’re doing decent on 15s, try to AAA some 7-9s. Really focus on the beat and nothing else - step harder and more deliberately than normal. If you’re still getting lots of greats, then you might want to try adjusting some settings. But it’s probably just a matter of getting your timing down when you’re not also trying to learn hard or fast patterns.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I only play IIDX and SDVX, so I don't really have DDR specific advice, but I would recommend when you're playing higher level charts that are pushing the limits of your ability, just to focus on not missing or keeping up your combo. It sounds like it doesn't matter, but I find trying to both try to adjust my timing as I'm playing while interpreting a hard chart is mentally taxing. Like others said, when you want to focus on score, you should attempt charts that you can more easily interpret.

I think in general with rhythm games, getting better takes a lot of introspection to analyze where you're skills are lacking and experimentation with technique, sounds like you're on the right track with your hunch.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Boxman posted:

I need some play advice for DDR. Anyone have any tips on improving accuracy? i'm passing 14s comfortably and a handful of 15s, but I'm great attacking everything, even when I drop way below that level. I've tried turning on sudden, and it helps, but I'm hitting the limits of my ability to actually read the notes and react in a way that doesn't cost a ton of energy. The good news is that after getting basic course (thanks again, thread) I know I'm hitting the vast majority of my notes fast rather than slow, which at least gives me something more specific to fix.

The obvious answer is to just drop my difficulty down a bit and grind it out, really focusing on accuracy. If that's all that can be done, that's fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has any specific advice. I've been playing DDR on and off for...uhhh...23-ish years now, and I have so many ingrained habits its very possible I'm missing something. Ghost stepping is something that I only started picking up somewhat recently, and I can't use the bar reliably unless the run is fast enough I need to lean on it.

I've been playing just as long as you. I'll try to offer some tips.

On the physical side of things, I've been exclusively no-bar up until the last couple years of playing, when I accepted I *have* to use the bar on harder things. I typically go no-bar up to 12s, then I'll mix in some bar use on harder 13s, and then always bar on 14s and up. I think it's important to know how to do both styles of play, both from a gameplay perspective and from a body training/exercise perspective.

As far as the mental aspect goes, it's important to try and find your game focus when you're hitting those Marvelous combos. It's a bit hard to explain, but I'll put it this way... When I am really on my game and nailing those Marvelous combos, I'm usually focusing on a certain part of the screen, somewhere between the combo counter and the step zone arrows, and I'm trying to get the combo counter to pulse at the perfect rhythm, as if I were watching an MFC video on Youtube. This can easily get thrown off when I'm playing harder songs and I have to read further down the screen and "queue up" my body movements. But it's a skill that can be trained.

Hopefully that helps. Feel free to ask more questions!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
One thing I will admit that I do and I am sure a lot of others do as well. Is that for songs you are not sure of don't be ashamed to look up and anticipate the steps ahead of time. The music should be a que as to when certain harder steps are coming up based on studying the steps themselves.

Reading is one thing but its difficult for someone uninitiated for first difficult song attempts to throw you off.

When I play PIU yeah sure I can read the steps. But getting older I learned the true meaning of the spirit being strong but the flesh is weak. All you can do from that point is practice, adjust the speed of the arrows / notes to better suit your playstyle, and learn how to anticipate steps as the song progresses.

A perfect example of this is Csikos Post on S21. The beginning, and certain areas of the songs; not only do the note speed increases dramatically but there is a certain pattern even I can't quite adjust to yet for accuracy. But I still do my best to anticipate and it's gotten better the more times I perform this song. Here is my latest attempt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stqR3gza-wk

Again I know it's pump but the same method has to be applied to DDR and other rhythm step based games. At least from my experience.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks for all the advice! I try to set BPM to 300-325, which isn't up to snuff of actual good players but isn't quite shameful. Turning it up more leads to me fumbling to react, rather than setting myself up properly. Like, forcing double steps rather than crossovers. Still, the solution is probably to drop it way down and re-learn to read at a higher BPM and maybe a sudden setting.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
...Shameful?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Boxman posted:

Thanks for all the advice! I try to set BPM to 300-325, which isn't up to snuff of actual good players but isn't quite shameful. Turning it up more leads to me fumbling to react, rather than setting myself up properly. Like, forcing double steps rather than crossovers. Still, the solution is probably to drop it way down and re-learn to read at a higher BPM and maybe a sudden setting.

I definitely did this as well when I first started reading at higher scroll speeds. I’m not necessarily sure that going back down is the answer here - I just kind of stuck with it until my brain adjusted and realized that the charts are still the same regardless of the scroll speed, but the usual cab I play on is running X3 so it doesn’t have the .25 increments.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

haha, just meant I feel like I'm in spitting distance of players I perceive of as "good". Rest assured I did not feel bad when I was reading things at, like, 200, and no one should feel bad for not setting their hi speed to "face melting"

Rhythm games are like running, it isn't like we're gonna overtake Chris4Life here, we're all just competing with ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
It doesn't really matter what speed you read notes at so I don't know why you are concerned about that. Just do what is the most comfortable. Accuracy comes with practice.