Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
balls. forgot to get in line in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Chicago sold out in like 2 nanoseconds.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Belle and Sebastian this weekend - $35 per ticket. The Smile at the same venue - $85 face value. Thanks guys.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
kept refreshing the venue page and managed to score two middle-level standing room tickets - am a-ok with this as I like to dance anyhow. amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looks like tickets are still available for the show here, but yeah, $89.50 for a floor ticket, $10.40 for a service fee and $3.75 for an order processing fee = over $100 to see The Smile :shepspends:

I can only imagine how much Radiohead tickets cost nowadays lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rageaholic posted:

Looks like tickets are still available for the show here, but yeah, $89.50 for a floor ticket, $10.40 for a service fee and $3.75 for an order processing fee = over $100 to see The Smile :shepspends:

I paid about the same to see Radiohead in the complete nosebleeds at an arena vs standing room balcony concert hall here - concerts are expensive and I bet the Belle and Sebastian setup is way simpler than Thom and Johnny's

anyways stop complaining I paid 200 bucks for two standing room balcony tickets in Toronto. tickets prices here are bananas.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I paid $45 to see them GA on the In Rainbows tour. I thought that was pretty pricey back then.

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

Rageaholic posted:

Just checked my old stubs, Radiohead at the Smoothie King Center back in 2017 was $84.50 plus fees and it as $64.50 plus fees for Thoms solo show at the Mahalia Jackson Theater in 2019. I was hopeful it'd be more in line with the latter, but I wasn't shocked when the WASTE price came out to just over $100. I paid between $35 and $40 for the tours between Amnesiac and In Rainbows, but I feel like both the ticket prices and fees have skyrocketed over the last 10 years or so.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Walrus posted:

I paid about the same to see Radiohead in the complete nosebleeds at an arena vs standing room balcony concert hall here - concerts are expensive and I bet the Belle and Sebastian setup is way simpler than Thom and Johnny's

It’s also like 5 more people onstage to pay. Lights don’t cost much. Musicians do.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I didn’t bother trying to get tickets for the AMSP tour, I saw them twice on the TKOL tour and that was probably sufficient. Those tickets were expensive already.

Unless it’s a real bucket list band that I haven’t checked off yet I’m not spending a hundred bucks for a ticket with a child and rent that’s doubling.

I think I paid thirty bucks a ticket for soccer mommy last year. I bet she could do a good cover of I Might Be Wrong.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
$100 for tickets in 2022 doesn't seem that unreasonable to me (whether I would justify the expense is another matter). I just checked and when I saw Neil Young at Massey Hall in 2007, the tickets were $150 each for upper gallery seats.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I make about 900 dollars a paycheck. It ain’t happening for me lol

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The two shows I have tickets for this summer so far are Belle & Sebastian ($35) and Karate ($30). Both general admission. It’s like being back in 2004 again

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've pretty much just accepted that the only concerts I'm ever going to again will be if I win tickets for free, it's an unknown band, or it's part of some event where a bunch of other stuff is also happening.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The two Radiohead shows I saw were actually my first concerts ever. Talk about starting on a high note

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The best shows are usually legacy bands trying get back in the swing of making more music. The tickets are a lot cheaper and the bands have a lot of energy trying to make an impression again.

Saw OMD for $20 in 2011 and they kicked rear end.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

The two Radiohead shows I saw were actually my first concerts ever. Talk about starting on a high note

I’m so old that my first concert was Pink Floyd

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My first concerts were The Band in 1991 and Dire Straits in 1992. I was only born in 1987, but my parents took me to a lot of concerts when I was very small.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

chairdoctor posted:

Just checked my old stubs, Radiohead at the Smoothie King Center back in 2017 was $84.50 plus fees and it as $64.50 plus fees for Thoms solo show at the Mahalia Jackson Theater in 2019. I was hopeful it'd be more in line with the latter, but I wasn't shocked when the WASTE price came out to just over $100. I paid between $35 and $40 for the tours between Amnesiac and In Rainbows, but I feel like both the ticket prices and fees have skyrocketed over the last 10 years or so.
I wish I'd been able to go to those shows :negative: IIRC I had other plans that time Radiohead played at the Smoothie King Center and was broke when Thom came here a few years ago.

I got a ticket to see King Gizzard at the same theater where The Smile's playing for less than half the cost even after fees and King Gizz has like 19 more albums out than The Smile lol. Definitely feel like I paid a Thom and Jonny tax for this Smile show.

Oh well. Like I said on the last page, I'm really stoked for this show. There's a festival that used to happen here every year in October that I'd go to almost every year (Voodoo Fest) that hasn't happened the past couple years due to COVID and they recently announced that they're taking this year off too, so I'll just think of this show (and a few other shows I've got tickets to) as taking its place.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I just found out about this tour, but tickets in Toronto are 300-600$, not even on the re-sale sites. Excited to get the new album, what a great surprise.

I’m also happy with the Radiohead concerts I’ve already got. Saw them play with REM on back to back nights in Vancouver (with crossovers between the bands both nights!), at Lollapalooza and outside of Toronto at a huge outdoor venue, for Kid A tour.

The Toronto one was an all time experience. Flew into Toronto as a 19 year old country boy, train and bus to the concert in the morning. Stood in line all day, when they opened the first gates, you were allowed around the perimeter of the concert venue, but access to main grounds was still gated up. I stood at a gate for a few more hours, instead of getting food or water. Finally, security came up and picked our gate to open first, so
It was a sprint for the front of the stage.

Got crushed for the whole show, but somehow didn’t die of heat stroke or dehydration. I thought it was over when Thom was asking for requests and someone yelled Just. He smirked but they didn’t play it. If they did, crowd would have gone insane. In my experience, Canada loves really loves. The Bends

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1547269198325374977

lmao, hell yeah Thom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf2vNUHhmQo

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Wow that's a great song, I hope we get to hear a studio recording one day, ideally that hasn't seen the song undergo a transformation that renders it unrecognizable. How many new songs have they wrote and performed while on tour now? Seems to be a very creative period for them.

Still weird seeing Jonny without a Telecaster, though.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I am happy for the people who are enjoying the Smile. I just miss Radiohead

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I am happy for the people who are enjoying the Smile. I just miss Radiohead

I feel both. I'm enjoying The Smile but I miss Ed's wibbly noises and Colin and Phil's massively underrated rhythm contributions

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The Smile is good. A Light for Attracting Attention will probably be my album of the year.

It's still not Radiohead.

I really do wonder how they can top AMSP though. It feels like such an emotional zenith for them. Or whatever the polar opposite of a zenith is since that emotion is so raw and painful and negative.

Either way you get what I mean.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It definitely had a note of finality about it.

But then, so many things do, and as long as you're still alive, things change and new things happen. They could as easily feel a bit looser again, like how they came back from HTTT with In Rainbows, the Vibes Album

The Smile, though, that album is, if anything, even doomier than AMSP - though it has a lot of rebirth/transcendence vibes about it too, which AMSP didn't

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I find The Smile more 'interesting' to listen to than actively enjoyable. Tbh the same applied to a lot of the last two radiohead albums as well. Beautiful in places, but a bit of a slog.

If we're talking about partially reformed British bands releasing albums this year, I think the new Porcupine Tree album is a more entertaining listen. But I guess I'm massively comparing apples with oranges.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I never 'got' ANIMA until I watched the netflix video of the same name, then it totally clicked. I think that Not The News is lowkey one of the most beautiful songs Thom's ever made.

The album is still a dark, exhausting trip though. I don't listen to it often.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Barry Foster posted:

The Smile, though, that album is, if anything, even doomier than AMSP - though it has a lot of rebirth/transcendence vibes about it too, which AMSP didn't

While there are still songs from AMSP that I absolutely love, on the whole it's still one of their weaker releases for me, but I've merged my favorite tracks from that with my favorite tracks from The Smile to make a great album that flows well. There isn't much of a difference in vibe for me, at least with the tracks I picked from each album to merge together anyway, and when combined it feels like what AMSP should have been in my opinion.

That's just me though, and I found it fun to put together, but AMSP alone has always been a frustrating listen for me. Part of it is having a big preference for the original versions of Ful Stop and Identikit and the other is that AMSP feels kind of unfinished? I recall Nigel stating that Spectre really messed with the recording of the album as everything came to a complete stop and then they had to pick up where they left off afterwards which was apparently disruptive (I think he talked about it?) but while some songs are spectacular there are others that just give off a strong impression that the band was a bit lost and maybe just wanted to get it over and done with. Still can't believe Cut a Hole didn't make it either, it would have been perfect for that record.

Edit: The Smile just uploaded a performance of another new song (I think it's been played before? Not on the album, though) and is Thom playing Ed's signature Strat? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LC-28fvJ_4

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 17, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Yeah, that's the song that Radiohead most likely worked on before the In Rainbows sessions. It seems to be about that bizarre UK phenomenon known as happy slapping which would date it to around 2005.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/brooklynvegan/status/1550188541304504327

:ohdear:

The Perfect Element posted:

I find The Smile more 'interesting' to listen to than actively enjoyable. Tbh the same applied to a lot of the last two radiohead albums as well. Beautiful in places, but a bit of a slog.

If we're talking about partially reformed British bands releasing albums this year, I think the new Porcupine Tree album is a more entertaining listen. But I guess I'm massively comparing apples with oranges.
I quite enjoy both The Smile album and the new Porcupine Tree, but if I were to throw one on to listen to casually? It'd be The Smile 100%.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The headline is deeply misleading, I listened to the interview months ago and he just means the band is on hiatus at the moment (which is hardly new, they weren't together in 2013-2014 either). He specifically says towards the end of the interview that he's pretty sure they'll be back together at some point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah it's basically just 'we're not recording anything right now' which is what they've been saying for a couple years.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah these dudes are on their way to 60 years old and have no obligation to a record company. I have no problem waiting till they’re all in the right mood to record something again as Radiohead.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

this has been their MO since after In Rainbows basically, and it's why they haven't put out a bad album yet. it's Fine. good, even.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah really, these days, when a successful band is basically by definition not contractually obligated to a certain # of albums -- if a band "calls it quits" due to anything less than a personal falling out, it's basically just marketing. There's no other reason to try to put a definitive cap on things. Unless I guess one of the core members is truly deciding to quit music entirely.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ1SThsPMVo

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

maybe I'm getting old and stupid but talk show host ft James Corden got me good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"I'll dress like your niece" on repeat got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Wow that encore! Can't believe they finally played Idioteque faster and faster until the crowd started vomiting uncontrollably. Wish I coulda been there