Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Sorbus posted:

5 weeks of paid vacation per year, on the other hand pay is much lower than in US and taxes are high.

Western Europe and the US have pretty similar productivity per hour. Americans just work more hours and fund more services privately instead of collectively. That's my picture from the statistics anyway, never looked in detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Huh I always had them demand you took at least a two week block once a years when I was in financial services, because it's very hard to hide fraud from someone covering your job. Never had internal audit getting to decide when you took it though - that sounds awful.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Cthulu Carl posted:

TBF, it's an effective threat because the dude he made take December off got covid like three days in.

But that was no problem after all because he was able to claim back his vacation days with a doctor‘s note, right? Like you do in civilised countries? Right??

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Neco posted:

But that was no problem after all because he was able to claim back his vacation days with a doctor‘s note, right? Like you do in civilised countries? Right??

When I went out for congestive heart failure in early 2012, the first week out burned a week's vacation. Thereafter I was on short-term disability.

After six weeks I received a letter from HR stating that FMLA had expired and that my job was open. In other words, if they chose to, they could fire me & replace me with someone else. Within two days I started receiving panicked phone calls from the next three levels of bosses, exhorting me not to find another job, my job was still here, etc etc. and to ignore the HR letter.

I didn't give a poo poo since I had heart surgery upcoming & it was looking dicey & my doctor advised me to 'put my affairs in order' which has a marvelous focussing effect on what matters.

Obviously it all worked out & I worked there another 11-years. But no, I did not get that week back.

e: same company, had a co-worker who had been there since 1985. By 2010, he had something like nine weeks of vacation time. He would never take long vacations so he lost something like 4-5-weeks a year since we could only carry over five days.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 2, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My employer broke down and informed us today that we'll be paid for hours we missed due to hurricane Ian, which was honestly surprising. Even though we're "guaranteed 40hrs/week" I didn't think they'd honor it, figured they'd tell us t go gently caress ourselves and the initial rumor/word was that we'd be "allowed" to make up the hours lol.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

My employer broke down and informed us today that we'll be paid for hours we missed due to hurricane Ian, which was honestly surprising. Even though we're "guaranteed 40hrs/week" I didn't think they'd honor it, figured they'd tell us t go gently caress ourselves and the initial rumor/word was that we'd be "allowed" to make up the hours lol.

I wonder if that out of touch owner/CEO of the postcard company made some places rethink just paying out the time. Instead of taking a rep hit which could cost who knows what they can pay out employees who are still dealing with storm aftermath and look like a good employer.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Found out that the regular dictation was shut down at my old hospital, meaning the entirety of the work has to be auditing for the garbage the front-end speech recognition shits out.

I also found out that people in the department are still being trained on the auditing process. Not new people, mind you. The department was around 12 people and I had trained about six of them at the time I left. Some quit after I left.

I've been gone for two years. My old boss is full on guilt tripping people from what I've heard. Someone straight up resigned mid-training for auditing. Oh well!

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Which goons in this thread work for this lady?

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7gpkn/ceo-hurricane-florida-families-covid

In Unhinged Video, CEO Who Told Staff to Work Through Hurricane Also Scorned COVID Concerns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9CClt5Zj3Y

Vice posted:

Joy Gendusa, the CEO of the Clearwater, Florida-based marketing company PostcardMania

Clearwater you say? I wonder… yep she’s a Scientologist. Everything you can find about her online is a variation of “high school dropout starts business in 1998 with only a computer and bootstraps to $40 million in sales!” Absolute psycho poo poo 24/7 I bet.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
On all this time-off chat: I get a lot of time off, I have a ton banked, but I seldom use it because it feels like taking time off screws me over. I took a week vacation during the summer and I had to work crazy hours the week when I came back to catch up. It feels like I haven't caught up since

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Testikles posted:

On all this time-off chat: I get a lot of time off, I have a ton banked, but I seldom use it because it feels like taking time off screws me over. I took a week vacation during the summer and I had to work crazy hours the week when I came back to catch up. It feels like I haven't caught up since

Take the time off and then work exactly as hard as you have to to not get yelled at, no more and no less.

Act your wage, always. There is nothing gained by working yourself to death and tbh, you're almost always better off getting a new job than trying to get promoted at your current.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I get 13.33 hours of vacation each month and two "use it or lose it" floating holidays. It works out to about 22 days a year. Can bank up to 200 hours.

A four week sabbatical every 5 years.

And a little under 7 hours of sick per month, unlimited bank, but it doesn't pay out if you leave.

I screwed up and didn't take some vacation in time in 2021, so I only had 1 hour instead of 13.33 drop in for the month of June.

I try to be flexible with the days I take just because, because I have learned that saying "Yeah, I'll move this day I don't care about too much to another day I don't care about too much so X is covered" makes the ones I care about much more likely to go through with no issues. I moved one of those days out a week to cover a person who was going to be out for bereavement and do the work I'm her backup for. It made it quite a bit easier to get time off to go to Chicago for a concert in November, despite the other team lead being off at the same time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Take the time off and then work exactly as hard as you have to to not get yelled at, no more and no less.

Act your wage, always. There is nothing gained by working yourself to death and tbh, you're almost always better off getting a new job than trying to get promoted at your current.

100% what festivus miracle said.

I came in today after a 2 week vacation that i had negotiated as part of my pay, which is the last real vacation i will ever get here. First thing that happened to me is they gave me a 4000 dollar per year raise. They are petrified I am gonna leave, haha. They should be.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This was the advice I kept giving the 35-year co-worker about whom I posted up-thread who would lose tons of vacation time every year.

He was afraid to take vacation because we were under-staffed & he knew we would be hammered. I kept explaining to him that this was a management issue, not his; and that everyone else knew it; he needs to take his time to stay sane.

He wouldn't listen. Fortunately he retired, and is living his best life.

Within a year after he retired, I switched divisions. They hired six people to take my place. Not because I was so awesome, but chiefly because that's how understaffed we were. When I was hired in 2003, we had two teams, totalling ten people, working the city of Philadelphia. By the time I switched, I was handling the entire city by myself. I was also going insane from the buried stress.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Mistle posted:

Banks will mandate time off, anywhere between a week and a month depending on the department, yeah. It's not at your discretion, either; it's whenever the bank/auditor decides, so you can't arrange any malfeasance. You'd be surprised how easy it is to bust people doing skeezy poo poo this way, which explains why it's mandatory and managers absolutely fold to that demand.

Where I'm at it is a week of mandatory leave. A coworker in another department had this requirement, but they only had the standard 2 weeks of vacation, and couldn't give up half of it in one go, so he eventually negotiated for another week.

Last year work went for a combined vacation/sick time, but somehow made it better then the split time. Quite a few people were maxed out on sick, and wouldn't benefit from more, so now we have a single pool, but that pool fills as fast as our sick and vacation combined. I get almost 10hrs of PTO a paycheck.

However, mine fills faster then I can spend it, as our department is busy, and I have a hard time taking time off. Most of my time off in the last 2 years was for non-fun reasons, and now its kinda hard to take a break.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm taking off the Monday after next to go hiking in Nagano. They're pretty easy going about taking time off but I keep putting it off/forgetting to take it. Should take some more time off in the next few months. I'd like to go to Kumamoto again.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

To be honest, the thing that I want most from a full-time job is paid time off. Even more than health insurance.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Remember: if you have time off that you let expire because you didn’t take it, you’re working for free.

Don’t work for free.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I brought my Drake posted:

To be honest, the thing that I want most from a full-time job is paid time off. Even more than health insurance.

Hard disagree.

Not having insurance can cost you your life or at least put you into an inescapable debt spiral. I know people who are dead now because they didn’t go to the doctor to get something checked out because of a lack of insurance.

Ending up dead at 33 because that lump in your breast wasn’t just a lymph node being funky is poo poo.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Trouble is I am on a high performing team in a very needy organization. That extra is the amount I have to do not to get yelled at

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I know one guy here went world tripping for a few months by saving up his rolled over days and buying a few extra weeks holiday time (which I think just counted as unpaid leave). Had to organise it well in advance, understandably.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Remember: if you have time off that you let expire because you didn’t take it, you’re working for free.

Don’t work for free.

Gonna be funny when about 3/4 of us roll over hours over Xmas shutdown and then everyone realizes they've got unused hours in February and the plant stops manufacturing at the end of March.

I guarantee nobody is going to give a poo poo about getting paid in compensation for a few hours of PTO by February, that's gonna be chaos lol

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hard disagree.

Not having insurance can cost you your life or at least put you into an inescapable debt spiral. I know people who are dead now because they didn’t go to the doctor to get something checked out because of a lack of insurance.

Ending up dead at 33 because that lump in your breast wasn’t just a lymph node being funky is poo poo.

I totally agree. Thing is, I'm already on Medicaid and I already have a sizable amount of medical debt. Health insurance and PTO are the top two things I want from a job, but PTO is just a smidge higher on the list.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The nice thing about this job is, while I've been bad about taking days off, they don't care when I show up or leave, so on days where I know I don't have much going on I'll sleep in and show up at like noon and leave at 5 or 6.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

tbh, you're almost always better off getting a new job than trying to get promoted at your current.

I’m not sure I agree with this: other companies might have horrible toxic environments, terrible managers, expectations to work long hours. If you find yourself in an organisation you like and you look at the job above you and think, “yeah, I could do that”, I think you’re better going for the promotion than you are jumping ship for somewhere that might be loving awful…

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Scientastic posted:

I’m not sure I agree with this: other companies might have horrible toxic environments, terrible managers, expectations to work long hours. If you find yourself in an organisation you like and you look at the job above you and think, “yeah, I could do that”, I think you’re better going for the promotion than you are jumping ship for somewhere that might be loving awful…

These could both be true. I've often heard (and recently lived) that finding a new job is the fastest and most direct rout to increasing your salary. But I agree that there are risks involved with the move. I think too often companies refuse to promote from within and people see these jobs above them being filled by a revolving door of less qualified people who took the former strategy and came in from outside.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Scientastic posted:

In my experience all organizations are insane and tend to have some toxic attributes, so sometimes it's not really a change at all

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

The nice thing about this job is, while I've been bad about taking days off, they don't care when I show up or leave, so on days where I know I don't have much going on I'll sleep in and show up at like noon and leave at 5 or 6.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. And I know we have some kind of PTO accrual rate on paper, but as long as the work gets done the owners don't care how much time off we actually take. I just got six days to move and the other brewer is taking five days later this week since we just finished the insanity of fresh hop season.

Much better than A Certain California-Based IPA Brewery that fired me after taking one day off and two weeks of light duty after having loving surgery.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Testikles posted:

Trouble is I am on a high performing team in a very needy organization. That extra is the amount I have to do not to get yelled at

Sounds like you need a better salary or benefits to make up for this, then

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Testikles posted:

I would look for offers elsewhere, you can get paid more to work less. Whether you choose to walk away or use an offer to leverage a promotion and a raise where you're currently working is a personal choice, but you should be cultivating other options regardless of what you plan to do with them.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat. And I know we have some kind of PTO accrual rate on paper, but as long as the work gets done the owners don't care how much time off we actually take. I just got six days to move and the other brewer is taking five days later this week since we just finished the insanity of fresh hop season.

Much better than A Certain California-Based IPA Brewery that fired me after taking one day off and two weeks of light duty after having loving surgery.

I'm pretty sure I have the nationally required amount of PTO, but they don't care about enforcing it. My boss was even like "You should take some time off!" so I'll probably take some three day weekends, since those are easy, because I want to take 2 or 3 weeks off early next year to go back and visit the US. Haven't been back since April of 2019.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm pretty sure I have the nationally required amount of PTO, but they don't care about enforcing it. My boss was even like "You should take some time off!" so I'll probably take some three day weekends, since those are easy, because I want to take 2 or 3 weeks off early next year to go back and visit the US. Haven't been back since April of 2019.

You may want to keep it that way, we aren’t okay here

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Testikles posted:

In my experience all organizations are insane and tend to have some toxic attributes, so sometimes it's not really a change at all

I knew a few people who just had to get out and forego their severance because the grass is totally greener on the other side, and all of them are regretting forgoing their severance. Especially after finding out what health insurance costs when they were maxing out at $54/check for family after the rate hike 2 years ago.

I warned them, good luck finding a permanently grandfathered plan signed in 1999 ever again, you're gonna pay a fuckload of money for the exact same insurance plan you're on now wherever you go.

And they did.

edit: my plant retains people long term, I'm the newest hire with 3 years this month, now the next closest person to me with exits considered last looked for a job 7 years ago, and it only goes up from there. 30% of the people I work with are going to retire when we get laid off, so there was a fundamental misunderstanding of what things look like out there for the people who were antsy to jump ship.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 3, 2022

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Serious_Cyclone posted:

These could both be true. I've often heard (and recently lived) that finding a new job is the fastest and most direct rout to increasing your salary. But I agree that there are risks involved with the move. I think too often companies refuse to promote from within and people see these jobs above them being filled by a revolving door of less qualified people who took the former strategy and came in from outside.

It really depends. My company has a promote-only policy for anyone above a specific level due to the amount of systems and rules we have to navigate to do anything. We're also giant and people move all the time between business units and sites, which is actively encouraged so we don't just have people who know one area of the business. Because of that and the "level" system actual promotions are pretty frequent, generally every couple years you'll progress. The result is you have a higher chance of upping your salary by staying here a few years than leaving for another company, unless you are a top tier guy who's main abilities are power lunches and golf, then you just become like undersecretary of defense or are appointed to another job in the government that is responsible for making sure all our non-compliances disappear. We regularly pull people from other large employers around our offices because of how much more we pay as a base (I once ran the numbers and if I stayed at my old job for another 20 years I would hit the top of the payscale. With that and eight hours of time and a half OT a week I would make slightly less than what my wife made at the time. That was five years ago.) and it makes it near impossible for someone to justify leaving the company. We're a rare example, but it does happen.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I would like to solicit opinion(s) on the following; I've been interviewing for a third remote job for about 6 months right now & haven't landed anything.

I have two remote jobs on autopilot (5-15 hours per week) & my resume shows that I'm concurrently working at them simultaneously and it comes up in interviews.

And since I never get beyond this recent spat of 2nd round interviews, I am thinking that this doesn't look good or that I will plan on secretly working 3 jobs (I am) and I would like to make myself look like a more normal candidate.

The obvious answer would be delete more recent (part time) job from resume but it's with a megacorp and I feel like its name opens doors in its own industry and amongst other megacorps. So maybe I should make it look like first job has ended and I'm trying to replace it??? I would like to transparently maintain one (1) other job upon obtaining my next one.

OK, I'll try that. Never mind. Thanks.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

kntfkr posted:

I would like to solicit opinion(s) on the following; I've been interviewing for a third remote job for about 6 months right now & haven't landed anything.

I have two remote jobs on autopilot (5-15 hours per week) & my resume shows that I'm concurrently working at them simultaneously and it comes up in interviews.

And since I never get beyond this recent spat of 2nd round interviews, I am thinking that this doesn't look good or that I will plan on secretly working 3 jobs (I am) and I would like to make myself look like a more normal candidate.

The obvious answer would be delete more recent (part time) job from resume but it's with a megacorp and I feel like its name opens doors in its own industry and amongst other megacorps. So maybe I should make it look like first job has ended and I'm trying to replace it??? I would like to transparently maintain one (1) other job upon obtaining my next one.

Yeah just take whichever one doesn't help off the resume.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
I called in sick today and my work immediately cut off access to everything.

I got in poo poo recently for having too much time off banked.

I still have 12 sick days, 2.5 weeks of banked time and 3 weeks of vacation to use up by the end of the year.

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

kntfkr posted:

You can't just say you're a contractor working for multiple clients? Or is that not a common position to be in to be believable in your country?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Accepting more and more new students every year but not hiring more staff to match, leaving everybody in every department working harder every day.

"Do more with less!"

We're not alchemists. You can't get blood from a stone.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Animal-Mother posted:

Accepting more and more new students every year but not hiring more staff to match, leaving everybody in every department working harder every day.

"Do more with less!"

We're not alchemists. You can't get blood from a stone.

But you can pretty easily squeeze more work out of that "Work life balance"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

manpurse posted:

I called in sick today and my work immediately cut off access to everything.

I got in poo poo recently for having too much time off banked.

I still have 12 sick days, 2.5 weeks of banked time and 3 weeks of vacation to use up by the end of the year.

What? Go home dumbass