Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

There are definitely people like this. My brother will text me every once in a while because he'll just throw wrestling on and ask about something or tell me something funny his son did/said while watching. We grew up on wrestling so it's like a thing that's always been around in our lives, but I'm the only one who still regularly watches it.

So I do believe there are people who exist who just turn it on when they don't have anything else to watch or will stop when flipping through the channels if they see someone they recognize. I just don't think they're a huge portion of any audience and probably shouldn't be the target of any company's promotion/attempted reach/whatever.

Yeah, my wife will sometimes watch a bit of Dynamite or whatever with me and will go to shows with me if she's not otherwise busy and enjoy herself, but I don't think she'd ever actively seek out wrestling on her own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Palate cleanser with dumb person who doesn't understand time zones and wants to let HHH know about it

https://twitter.com/SILENTGRIM_x/status/1576030519476658176?t=3fsZV0aJTmBmbDQ7mPI5bA&s=19

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also if Jericho really wants to max out the heel thing he really needs to stop using Judas and letting the crowd sing along. Either that or he should always cut off the music just as people start singing

Nah his current character is the Jericho Appreciation Society guy, The Ocho, the Most Honorable Man in Wrestling. Having people singing his theme, the theme he himself recorded, is perfectly on brand for him.

He gets plenty of heel reactions for the poo poo he does.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They also did that at the start of JAS to get heat and stopped as they didn't need it anymore and AEW would rather still give the live crowd the sing along.

Like, it's dumb but Judas has become a reason people buy tickets.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Excited for a meme that was never funny 15 years ago to make the funny things Inoki did stop being funny.

https://twitter.com/soggyhydrox/status/1576216367900069890

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Bonus:

Pylons fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 2, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Kdewdrop1/status/1576379233831911424

A little change of pace with some MMA.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/wwe_fanboy2k/status/1575566105053364224?s=46&t=GUC4IpDOyOO9KmdpdPM9Jw

I’m a boot truther

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cowards never poo poo in a toilet just their pants, CM Punk once again calling a hypocrite

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I hope putting on a show in an empty room for a rich weirdo will finally allow UFC to break into the mainstream. It may take MMA out of the smoke filled rooms and into arenas in Vegas!

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

edit: i guess this is a known gimmick but it's funny and believable. i'm owned i guess

there's some incredible stuff surrounding this but it's getting out of the scope of this thread but here's a small taste

https://twitter.com/warrior_male/status/1576422878253584384

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 2, 2022

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1576321310262951937?t=M9bipZxTNHBjfLOB9bn8EA&s=19

Do not offer your awful neck tattoo Cody :q:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/JobberNationTV/status/1576260995634196480?t=ZJTX0xo9m6lzh6Db1tQChQ&s=19

Edit to add more
https://twitter.com/EBischoff/status/1576303761101709313?t=MXrtel5ctaMcG2kS6mdrUA&s=19

lol

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 2, 2022

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Where do they get their numbers from?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Ratings are in the toilet." is a hell of a take.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

If you repeat something enough it just gets accepted as fact.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think they check their WC and take whatever they poo poo as a fact.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Fuckin lol the nerve of Bischoff criticising one wrestling promotion for taking shots at another.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
eric bischoff is a man who has added lots of value to the wrestling world in the past twenty years and definitely should have all of his opinions be taken as gospel

What has he done in the past twenty years, why, you should-

Hey, look over there!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Killing TNA. Another to his sleeve.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guillermus posted:

Killing TNA. Another to his sleeve.

I would only give him credit if it actually died, he couldnt even get that right

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

"Wrestling needs to be serious so other men that I've imagined won't think I'm a dork for liking it"

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
The extremely talented but aloof person who only gives 100% when they absolutely need to is a concept unheard of in "real" sports.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
How long will this "But the CASUALS" meme last before they find some other bad faith argument to fall back to?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

forever, AEW would have to be the #1 one show on all of tv first

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

"Wrestling needs to be serious so other men that I've imagined won't think I'm a dork for liking it"

Don't OC videos get like stupid amounts of views on youtube and things like that?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Zombie Lemur posted:

The extremely talented but aloof person who only gives 100% when they absolutely need to is a concept unheard of in "real" sports.

He's truly wrestling's Paul Pogba. Unbelievably talented, doesn't always give 100% and is disliked by old white men

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

1glitch0 posted:

Don't OC videos get like stupid amounts of views on youtube and things like that?

Yes, it's a completely imaginary take. He does huge numbers online and he's easily the best guy to show to non-fans if you want to pitch them on following wrestling, too, and presumably that guy would know it if he ever watched wrestling with other people instead of just nervously imagining they'll think he's a dork if the fake fighting isn't macho enough

Some people just have this weird brainworm where they think wrestling needs to be as "realistic" as possible despite the fundamentals being littered with nonsense like the Irish whip and the vertical suplex when UFC exists and everyone knows what that kind of combat really looks like. It's like while growing up someone dropped the "you know it's fake right?" bomb on them as an own and they spent the rest of their lives longing for a version of wrestling that wouldn't get them made fun of instead of shrugging off anyone who says that as a boring jerk

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tweak posted:

forever, AEW would have to be the #1 one show on all of tv first

Haven’t they been there or thereabouts regularly for a while now?

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

It's the insistence on "men" that's getting me

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Big Dave posted:

It's the insistence on "men" that's getting me

I bet the use "females" constantly when talking about women.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

edogawa rando posted:

Haven’t they been there or thereabouts regularly for a while now?

cable yea, but not network. Plus it’d need to be the best for the whole week for that casuals line of thinking to stop (at which point it would probably turn to bringing up classic RAW episode numbers in a different tv landscape)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cassidy is consistently the dude who my friends latch onto when I show them AEW. It's the number one corn-pilled take that Orange isn't a draw because it requires denying all reality. The dude was just the most over person in the Best Friends Floor is Lava episode for gods' sake.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 3, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Man, the OP guy tries to be so cool and magnanimous and both sides-y and then the mask just IMMEDAITELY falls off when he gets called out.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cassidy is consistently the dude who my friends latch onto when I show them AEW. It's the number one corn-pilled take that Orange isn't a draw because it requires denying all reality. The dude was just the most over person in the Best Friends Floor is Lava episode fod gods' sake.

When AEW started up, OC was hugely over with the network staff at TNT, to the point that they wanted to feature him as prominently as possible in promotional materials. He's basically "what if Ryan Gosling was a wrestler".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He unambiguously has significant crossover appeal while still being a really loving good traditional professional wrestler that is also over with professional wrestling fans. This is purely anecdotal, but I've seen OC come up in my non wrestling circles and literally referred to as "the only wrestler that matters". What's significantly less anecdotal is all the times he's done very well in the ratings, which is more often than not! The dude is over, the evidence that he moves business is all out there in the open and people who are still pushing against him three years later and are pretending it's for any reason other than them personally not liking him are shmucks.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cassidy is consistently the dude who my friends latch onto when I show them AEW. It's the number one corn-pilled take that Orange isn't a draw because it requires denying all reality. The dude was just the most over person in the Best Friends Floor is Lava episode for gods' sake.

Wait did that actually come out

I've been checking in every few weeks just to watch that one episode

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

inthesto posted:

Wait did that actually come out

I've been checking in every few weeks just to watch that one episode

A few days ago, it's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/status/1576989246027857921?s=46&t=uJCG8p-7OyNZYqmFzDkZzA

The barstool dumbass confused Tony for Nick lol