Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Blankspace posted:

instead of trying to Nancy Drew together a mind map of annoying Twitter posts I think I'm just going to side with the group of people who were ousted from the company they helped create unless something concrete comes out in the future.

hm, good call.

Oh man, just realized I’m about to come up on the “turn the church into a nightclub” part of the story, looking forward to how weird it’ll get with my electrochemistry jacked to the gills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

the escape goat posted:

does “sensitive matter handled internally” automatically indicate it was sexual harassment in the gaming world and I just don’t know that because I’m not particularly familiar with the industry? it can be read as all kinds of stuff to me, like weird power struggles or other bizarre issues.

This is the first time I’ve paid any attention to studio goings-on because Disco is the first new game I’ve played and cared about in years; my previous gaming experience has just been with WoW (which I fell out of ages ago) and the Final Fantasy VII remake.

“Sensitive matter handled internally” usually implies some kind of staff conflict brought on by employees behaving badly, whether it be harassment (of a sexual nature or not,) bigotry, or other malicious behavior. If your first assumption, with nobody making accusations against them, is that people were forced out of the company because they did something wrong, then you’re wrapping your cheerleading for the wealthy elite under a progressive veneer. Anyone assuming this is because of impropriety when nobody else has even brought up the subject isn’t actually interested in healthy workplaces, only justifying their own bitterness.

To be clear I am not directing this at you, forums user “the escape goat,” but the Twitter person you are quoting. I hope you are enjoying the game.

Blankspace posted:

that specific person appears to be basing their hot take off of these posts from a current ZA/UM writer I guess:

https://twitter.com/axel_hexed/status/1576656086329094146

and a bunch of people at least outwardly unrelated to ZA/UM who are making sassy posts about "auteurs" and "Maoist cadres" but it looks like some of those have now either been deleted or the comments they're responding to have been

Responding to “I am concerned about the writing in future efforts now that the lead writers have all been forced out of the company” with “auteur theory isn’t real you know” is some of the most baby-brained poo poo I’ve heard in months.

God I know Twitter is a machine made only to raise your blood pressure but I haven’t read takes this instantly infuriating in a long, long time. Jesus gently caress.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Lol are the new writers trying to Alexis Kennedy the original creators to keep their jobs? They should have never moved to UK, the devil country. Their game writing scene seems like a pit of snakes.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
lol he pinned this within the last day

https://twitter.com/axel_hexed/status/1576560543397163008

guy is obviously like, yeah, i work at the company that made disco elysium lol

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Pirate Jet posted:

God I know Twitter is a machine made only to raise your blood pressure but I haven’t read takes this instantly infuriating in a long, long time. Jesus gently caress.
Twitter by it’s very concept encourages it’s users to exclusively put out low-effort, low-content poo poo posts. Bonus points if it’s inflammatory.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

like im sure people are probably being assholes to the current staff of zaum about this, and they shouldnt do that, but the "believe OUR side of the story" tweets dont really make a lot of sense when there...........isn't one

that ive seen at least

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Screaming “AUTEUR THEORY ISN’T REAL” at the cop pulling me away from drawing Joker tats on Girl With a Pearl Earring

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I want to actually see some actual smoke before having the conversation about how it wouldn't be the first time some auteurs had a self-destrictive ego driven meltdown.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

You missed the predecessor to this one.

https://twitter.com/axel_hexed/status/1576625448208912384

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
[insert funny quote from DE about leftists' worst enemies being the other leftists]

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm expecting that some megacorp is going to obtain the rights and then write it off as a tax deduction, then take the game off the shelves forever. That would be just so insanely good

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

dozens of people still work at the studio, and theyre presumably making a game, so that doesn't really seem likely. even during the run up to the final cut, kurvitz was describing the studio as having nearly a dozen writers on staff, plus more contractors.

i think a big problem is that people don't understand how many people it takes to make a game, so the news about the key creatives being pushed out makes them think nobody works there anymore lmao

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
ppl do work there but like. no loving Kurvitz??!

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Hahaha this rules. Completely baseless implication of sexual assault. Perhaps employees are silent for fear of meeting the same fate. If they can fire the directors they can fire a newbie hire.

Also, not that this is anything other than Twitter spew, but I am a firm believer in auteur theory and dissenters are Marvelbrained

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 3, 2022

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Updog Scully posted:

Hahaha this rules. Completely baseless implication of sexual assault. Perhaps employees are silent for fear of meeting the same fate. If they can fire the directors they can fire a newbie hire.

Also, not that this is anything other than Twitter spew, but I am a firm believer in auteur theory and dissenters are Marvelbrained

:hai:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Updog Scully posted:

At least one of the dudes making wink nudge auteur theory amirite tweets is a current ZA/UM writer. And he doesn't even have credits on the original game, lol.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Megazver posted:

At least one of the dudes making wink nudge auteur theory amirite tweets is a current ZA/UM writer. And he doesn't even have credits on the original game, lol.

at least he is aware of his own status as a fungible content production unit

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well I know who I'd be calling on when my company boots needing a good spitshine

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i'm sure that person will give us lots of quality Content during their Heavily Monetized Live Service Updates. looking forward to it. kill the Auteur in your head.

https://twitter.com/KeiKate_Phazmi/status/1576509735360417792?s=20&t=epNBJT0tIUI3w6dx-0w0Dw

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

the one video game with good writing exists, and that's something of a miracle. it's not reasonable to expect strings of miracles

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

quote:

CONCEPTUALIZATION [Trivial: Failure] - "Kill the cop in your head" includes auteur theory.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm not a big believer of Auteur Theory, but I think there is a difference between "video games are a collaborative effort" and "actually, one third of the game's credited writing team had nothing to do with the quality of the game and their departure doesn't matter for anything else the company does in the future."

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
selling authentic 2nd-gen cruelty-free hideous necktie $1000

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm not a big believer of Auteur Theory, but I think there is a difference between "video games are a collaborative effort" and "actually, one third of the game's credited writing team had nothing to do with the quality of the game and their departure doesn't matter for anything else the company does in the future."

"The writers and art lead that created the collective and spent decades working on the world together before it became a game"

There is a huge difference and everyone still at the studio is exploiting their work. 99% of the time I will not begrudge people for staying on at a job but in this case I think ignoring the moral convictions necessary to stay in such an environment guarantee you are incapable of creating a sincere piece comparable to the original anyway

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There is a huge difference and everyone still at the studio is exploiting their work. 99% of the time I will not begrudge people for staying on at a job but in this case I think ignoring the moral convictions necessary to stay in such an environment guarantee you are incapable of creating a sincere piece comparable to the original anyway
Good lord

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Volte posted:

Good lord

consume product, but not excited for next product? good lord!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am sick to loving death of usula le guin quotes

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

i guess that level of faith in humanity or whatever is an attitude you can have if you've never seen a startup after the founders left

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Investor takeover was warned of and unavoidable since day 1, I'm bummed but not too surprised. In all other matters I will maintain my stance of totally ignoring Twitter, it is a contemptible place.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tungsten posted:

consume product, but not excited for next product? good lord!
I'm referring to the frankly insane take that those who work at ZA/UM and do not immediately quit are immoral and inherently creatively bankrupt

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Again, I'd never apply that to any creative venture that wasn't explicitly about the corruption of the world by capitalist exploitation but in this one specific case you really think solidarity should win out over the all consuming monolith

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

No one should have to quit their job so their art feels more ~real~ to you. Come the gently caress on.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

the people that actually created the game were forced to

that's why this is happening

I'm not saying the people still working there are bad people - I'm saying by virtue of them still working there when the people behind the original were forcibly ousted are going to have a really tough time trying to tell a story about any sort of sincere convictions like those that were conveyed in the original and that made it beloved.

Especially if what comes next is riddled with microtransactional nonsense that the latest ZA/UM job postings indicate are going to be coming
Like, good on them for getting a paycheck but the writing is on the wall

even if it's only self-interest, your instincts should be telling you to jump to something else as soon as you possibly can

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Volte posted:

I'm referring to the frankly insane take that those who work at ZA/UM and do not immediately quit are immoral and inherently creatively bankrupt

I have no quarrel with the people who are just keeping their heads down to keep their job and trying to make a game. Heck, I'll probably check it out (although I think I'm more likely to do so if it's that unrelated scifi game they were recruiting for, instead of someone else exploiting Kurvitz's childhood dream setting again).

That one guy who's still doubling down on "oh yeah they didn't do poo poo, something something auteur theory, we THE WORKERS are the real victims here" though is pretty lol.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I do have to admit, I have a perverse curiosity in seeing the output of the new ZA/UM writing team. Like how do you even try to do a follow up of Disco Elysium after something like this happened?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Lt. Lizard posted:

I do have to admit, I have a perverse curiosity in seeing the output of the new ZA/UM writing team. Like how do you even try to do a follow up of Disco Elysium after something like this happened?

By leaving out the communist propaganda.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think they should have unionized lmao

If Kurvitz et al were really ousted because they stood in the way of a quick buck and not something improprietous the new hires should walk out in solidarity.

It's really basic stuff. But the vibe of the "kill the auteur theory" guy is not one of solidarity - he wants to advance his career riding the coattails. He even implies he can do it better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
To throw more trash on the auteur theory garbage fire:

I've watched a number of interviews with Kurvitz and Hindpere back when the game came out and I recall them actually mentioning how much of the game they wrote (before the Final Cut). I think it was something like Kurvitz 50 or 60% and Hindpere 20 or 30%, with the rest being split among the other writers. Does anyone actually remember anything like this?