Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MonkeyFit posted:

It's absolutely amazing how many EDMCs/COBs/CMCs just don't understand how anyone could want to get out. They're even more out of touch with what the real navy is like than Crab Dad.

I take insult at this. I know exactly what the real navy is like and I have managed to avoid it because I listened and observed. I will continue to take every advantage I can while I use the navy for cheap healthcare because there’s no magical yin/yang ledger keeping track of me.
gently caress I can’t even be mobilized for 4 more years and my contract is for 5. Before that happens I’ll take another cream puff mob and make sure I’m safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Crab Dad posted:

I take insult at this. I know exactly what the real navy is like and I have managed to avoid it because I listened and observed. I will continue to take every advantage I can while I use the navy for cheap healthcare because there’s no magical yin/yang ledger keeping track of me.
gently caress I can’t even be mobilized for 4 more years and my contract is for 5. Before that happens I’ll take another cream puff mob and make sure I’m safe.

This is such a correct take, and it's so refreshing to see. The navy will wring you out and toss you in a dumpster at any moment and at the arbitrary pleasure of a thousand petty tyrants. Never feel bad for getting what the rules of the game say you've won. Crab dad has had a good career because he navy'd good.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
sharp skates

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

I meant no offense. You've just had sweetheart deal after sweetheart deal that it seems like the odds of your career are equivalent to winning multiple powerball jackpots. By all means, keep taking the Navy for all it's worth. But I did one contract and got so hosed in the head that sometimes I wonder how I'm still here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The Navy's loving wild man, there are people out there that just game the system for a soft ride to the top. All it takes is some luck and people skills (I have neither).

For example, a good friend of mine was a mediocre SPU, got made LPO of his carrier's QA division, made Chief at 6 years (he still looked no poo poo 17, which was hilarious) , went to a cush rear end shore duty where he got a degree, then negotiated to get picked up OCS on his EAOS, because that was the day he was released from Nuclear duty. Now he's going to be a pilot for the Navy, and he'll probably be CNO or a Senator or some poo poo by 45.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Elviscat posted:

The Navy's loving wild man, there are people out there that just game the system for a soft ride to the top. All it takes is some luck and people skills (I have neither).

For example, a good friend of mine was a mediocre SPU, got made LPO of his carrier's QA division, made Chief at 6 years (he still looked no poo poo 17, which was hilarious) , went to a cush rear end shore duty where he got a degree, then negotiated to get picked up OCS on his EAOS, because that was the day he was released from Nuclear duty. Now he's going to be a pilot for the Navy, and he'll probably be CNO or a Senator or some poo poo by 45.

well as long as he don't forget where he come from

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Most of them do in my experience.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MonkeyFit posted:

I meant no offense. You've just had sweetheart deal after sweetheart deal that it seems like the odds of your career are equivalent to winning multiple powerball jackpots. By all means, keep taking the Navy for all it's worth. But I did one contract and got so hosed in the head that sometimes I wonder how I'm still here.

And this is why I could never be a recruiter and actively tell my friends and family to not let their kids go to active duty. Sorry about your rough time. I really feel for the kids I run into in the yards who look like frazzeled dog poo poo twice warmed over.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

MonkeyFit posted:

It's absolutely amazing how many EDMCs/COBs/CMCs just don't understand how anyone could want to get out. They're even more out of touch with what the real navy is like than Crab Dad.

You forgot to include the DT who had 7 years of sea duty on land in SoCal, no holidays, no weekends, once a month overnight sleeping duty, half day Fridays.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nick Soapdish posted:

That makes me wonder, was he TAD to the Brig or PCSed?

TAD. But I still lost my sea pay after 30 days. :(

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
ah yes, sea pay, that thing Seabees on sea duty don't receive and that we were told by our senior enlisted to never ask about when someone from The Real Navy visited

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
it's in the name

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

yeah I agree if a unit is on sea duty they should be getting sea pay, that would make the most sense

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

My CMC said after I got back to my command after beating my charges that he would follow my transfers everywhere and make sure my every new command knew about me, even after he's retired. He was still somehow surprised when I told him I was getting out.

Did you gently caress his daughter?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

yeah I agree if a unit is on sea duty they should be getting sea pay, that would make the most sense

Unless you're going out on a ship, you shouldn't get sea pay. If you're not getting underway, you don't get sea pay. If you went to an afloat command, you'd get it!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Proust Malone posted:

Did you gently caress his daughter?

Maybe it was his son.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Unless you're going out on a ship, you shouldn't get sea pay. If you're not getting underway, you don't get sea pay. If you went to an afloat command, you'd get it!

wow almost as if using sea duty as a term for commands that don't go to sea is dumb and they should fix that makes u think

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

wow almost as if using sea duty as a term for commands that don't go to sea is dumb and they should fix that makes u think

trying to fit a combat construction battalion into the modern navy is really loving dumb, too, tbh.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

the persistent tale told by CEC officers is that the Corps tried to get the Bees in the 1980s and 2010s but Navy shot it down because then they wouldn't have Seabees to do facilities maintenance. the other thing I always heard was the Seabees are on the brink of being disbanded and they have to pivot to airfield repair and island hopping tactics to be relevant and have a role. In reality it's probably the Navy just forgets about them until a command triad gets relieved of duty

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve heard that the bees are real good at building softball fields.

Also something about LCACs

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Fun Seabee story - the base I was at has k9 MPs and they needed dog kennels. So the Bees got after it. Dog kennels aren't too tough to build.

It's been over a decade. The MPs do not have dog kennels.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

the persistent tale told by CEC officers is that the Corps tried to get the Bees in the 1980s and 2010s but Navy shot it down because then they wouldn't have Seabees to do facilities maintenance. the other thing I always heard was the Seabees are on the brink of being disbanded and they have to pivot to airfield repair and island hopping tactics to be relevant and have a role. In reality it's probably the Navy just forgets about them until a command triad gets relieved of duty

Wait, isn't airfield repair and island hopping tactics why they were established in the first place?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
WE BUILD (fences that have to be tore down and reinstalled because they were done with the wrong materials)
WE FIGHT (against investigations into command climate or senior leadership being held accountable for anything)

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Madurai posted:

Wait, isn't airfield repair and island hopping tactics why they were established in the first place?

Congrats, you know more about the history of the NCF than 60% of Seabees

Our field training was predicated upon using Vietnam tactics and construction capability requirements as of 2019 so maybe the community just is a giant morass of sunk cost, racism and sexual assault

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

WE BUILD (fences that have to be tore down and reinstalled because they were done with the wrong materials)
WE FIGHT (against investigations into command climate or senior leadership being held accountable for anything)

When I went through season about a decade ago, there was a Seabee Chief so we had to learn their dumb song even though 4 out of 5 of us were in IWC rates. The other guy was some sort of shipboard engineer rate and I felt sorry for him having to deal with us.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

maffew buildings posted:

Congrats, you know more about the history of the NCF than 60% of Seabees

Our field training was predicated upon using Vietnam tactics and construction capability requirements as of 2019 so maybe the community just is a giant morass of sunk cost, racism and sexual assault

Well, you do have to keep some continuity with the rest of the Navy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I shared a few stories here but I don't think I ever got into the really WTF stuff, which is pretty alarming.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

maffew buildings posted:

Vietnam tactics

The bees i met in iraq had vietnam era long barrel M-16s with handles and no optics. They also built a desk and raised bunk platform for me in my chu so that was cool,

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I understand why there's a big tub of condoms in the P-Way outside Medical.... while in port. Under way, however, I don't understand how it took this long for people to start putting each other's stuff in condoms as a joke. I do, however, understand how quickly it got out of hand. I regret nothing.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Did you put the watches 9 mil in a condom???

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Kinda random, but the former DESRON 15 Deputy Commodore (Capt Duffy) came to talk to our squadron/ the nearby WTI class today about the Fitzgerald collision and the aftermath. The Valley Stared, I'm not sure how your interactions were with him, but for what its worth, when someone asked about sailors who stood out as rising to the situation to help save the ship that day, you were one of several people he mentioned off the top of his head.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I understand why there's a big tub of condoms in the P-Way outside Medical.... while in port. Under way, however, I don't understand how it took this long for people to start putting each other's stuff in condoms as a joke. I do, however, understand how quickly it got out of hand. I regret nothing.

If Medical runs out, just order some "Dust Protector, Nuclear" off of Fedlog.

unlubricated Trojan condoms

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Elviscat posted:

If Medical runs out, just order some "Dust Protector, Nuclear" off of Fedlog.

unlubricated Trojan condoms

There there, it's at least a granule. A pebble even!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

Did you put the watches 9 mil in a condom???

What, like you didn't?

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Kinda random, but the former DESRON 15 Deputy Commodore (Capt Duffy) came to talk to our squadron/ the nearby WTI class today about the Fitzgerald collision and the aftermath. The Valley Stared, I'm not sure how your interactions were with him, but for what its worth, when someone asked about sailors who stood out as rising to the situation to help save the ship that day, you were one of several people he mentioned off the top of his head.

Outside of Japan, I haven't interacted with him at all, and even in Japan I didn't interact with him too much. I've heard stories of him presenting the case, but haven't seen it. Usually what I hear about from his talk is the 60 20 20 concept (something like that). 60% of people will do what's needed, 20% need to be told what to do, but will do it, and 20% will freeze and won't react at all.

Interesting to hear that he mentioned me off the top of his head for people who stood out. Guess I did something right.

Current plan is to finish this contract and get out. Been a lot of things going on, and more and more I feel like putting down roots somewhere and having my own house.
I am glad that Mays got off from the BHR fire. I feel bad for the kid. Reading the report there were a lot of DC culture problems on BHR and a very real chance the fire was started due to bad electrical components (or lithium batteries). But nope! SOMEONE had to have started it. I knew someone who'd been stationed on the BHR when the fire happened. He was at my last duty station, and he talked about it a bit. Sometimes I wonder if he got caught up in the investigations.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

The Valley Stared posted:

Outside of Japan, I haven't interacted with him at all, and even in Japan I didn't interact with him too much. I've heard stories of him presenting the case, but haven't seen it. Usually what I hear about from his talk is the 60 20 20 concept (something like that). 60% of people will do what's needed, 20% need to be told what to do, but will do it, and 20% will freeze and won't react at all.

Interesting to hear that he mentioned me off the top of his head for people who stood out. Guess I did something right.

That 60 20 20 concept came up a lot during the talk, since the crowd was mostly O's and some Chief selectees he also did a lot of talking about working through the human cost of accidents and mishaps. A good amount was about the recovery effort and the aftermath. He also talked abit about training the politics from the admirals and other captains around the time, that part he was pretty unfiltered.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I just found out that if you visit civilian doctors, they don't make you take all your clothes off and feel your balls and look at your nutthole, they just ask if you have any ball or butthole related complaints, it's very nice.

They also give you Albuterol instead of saying "that would end your submarine career, don't tell me that" when you say you have occasional difficulty breathing, which is even nicer.

10/10, would leave the Navy again.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elviscat posted:

I just found out that if you visit civilian doctors, they don't make you take all your clothes off and feel your balls and look at your nutthole, they just ask if you have any ball or butthole related complaints, it's very nice.

You're obviously not old enough, yet.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Ball and rear end cancer ain't no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

They also give you Albuterol instead of saying "that would end your submarine career, don't tell me that" when you say you have occasional difficulty breathing, which is even nicer.

10/10, would leave the Navy again.

None of my navy doctors ever felt my balls or looked at my bhole