Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That's why we've never bought an automated door, we have hens that go to bed early, others that will stay out until it's dark and still others that need you to check the nest before they go i, to prove there's nothing scary there.

Plus we have three or four separate Eglus on the go at any one time.

Each hen's bedtime routine has been different.

Molly is currently snoozing on my lap. She took a long time to come out of her nest this morning, but has had some snacks.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

spookygonk posted:

Molly is currently snoozing on my lap. She took a long time to come out of her nest this morning, but has had some snacks.

that chicken loves you :qq:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ours are really good at getting in before the door closes. It's just it was so dark and cloudy that the sensor thought it was dusk.

The chickens, in their wisdom, knew it was not.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My girls figured out how to get into my pepper plants this weekend. :bahgawd: Heretofore they'd shown zero inclination to leave the ground for any reason.

(I've since put cages around them, but the damage is probably done for this year.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I can relate. The ducks discovered the peanuts today.

https://youtu.be/-zlsqqFCIG0

Mostly they pulled one up, realized they couldn’t swallow it and pulled up another. Silly ducks.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

i can't stop laughing at that expression

bawwwwwwwwwwwwww

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love all the naughty and sleepy birds :love:

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 9, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Chickens demand you stick to a routine of their choosing. Any deviation results in howls and stinkeye.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Quiet day for Molly today. All the hugs.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You look lovely, Glompton!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

sweet Molly looks very serene

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

sweet Molly looks very serene

She's very tired now. Giving her as many hugs as physically possible. Molly put herself to bed this evening.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Tammy now has a place to live outside!

She's uncertain and wary, but given that she was living in a cardboard box in a dorm room her whole life, she's handling the transition well. She's just bouncing around her little yard checking everything out, enjoying the sand bath tub and the bedding inside the house.

The eggs are being picked up by my wife right now, USPS was smart enough to not put that box on a truck in the FL heat and called us to pick it up instead. Soon Tammy will have friends :dance:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That's a mighty fine abode for Tammy! No risk of predators?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Soon Tammy will have friends :dance:

:dance:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Molly had a good day today. Much sunshine.

That is a veritable palace!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Soon Tammy will have friends :dance:
:dance:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

BaronVonVaderham posted:

tammy's dream house is amazing :kimchi:

spookygonk posted:

Molly had a good day today. Much sunshine.

as is this gentle peach

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

glad Tammy and Molly are doing well :3:

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 9, 2022

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The eggs are being picked up by my wife right now, USPS was smart enough to not put that box on a truck in the FL heat and called us to pick it up instead. Soon Tammy will have friends :dance:

Wife here. The biggest risks here are snakes (nothing big enough to eat her but they'd likely try), hawks, and rats (which we haven't seen in a while, so we either got them all or they moved on). We have enclosed the entire coop in hardware cloth, multiple layers in some places, to keep them out, on top of the regular fences.

The eggs look good, everything intact and clean. The supplier was very generous, and sent DOUBLE the number of eggs (ordered 10, got twenty). The eggs are resting and will go in incubator in the morning per supplier's instructions. This is our first time with an incubator so I know to keep my expectations very low - if even half of these hatch I'll be shocked.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

(Nova in the background)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is Molly on any pain medication?

I’ve used aspirin for a chicken on a short term basis but I got to wondering if there are any long-term medications that are recommended for chickens.

One of my new-to-me Legbar hens decided she wants to be a mom. I hemmed and hawed about giving her eggs but she stayed broody even though I moved her to the duck house for a night. Anyway, I gave her eggs so we will see how she does. This far south (Savannah, GA) we don’t have much of a winter so she should be able to successfully raise chicks even though it’s so late in the year.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

aww good luck mama hen ❤️

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

If she can stay broody through a night at the duck house, she deserves to be a mom!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Morning chickens

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
That is a shiny rooster!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Scarlett was not on the road to recovery after all  :(

roost in peace, Scarlett. you had an amazing pouf of a tail

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 9, 2022

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

City of Glompton posted:

Scarlett was not on the road to recovery after all :(

roost in peace, Scarlett. you had an amazing pouf of a tail

I am so sorry. Roost in Peace little featherbundle.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

Is Molly on any pain medication?

I’ve used aspirin for a chicken on a short term basis but I got to wondering if there are any long-term medications that are recommended for chickens.

We have this medication for our hens from our vet, ' a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)': Loxicom (click link). Also known as Meloxicam or Metacam.

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/meloxicam

We get it prescribed after operations or injury and used alongside any antibiotics. We tend to crop feed any combinations of meds, as it's easier on the hens rather than syringing directly into the beak.

Molly's now off food and water and has been either snoozing in the autumn sunshine [it's been nice and warm this last week] or snoozing on a lap. The big featherbundle's fading.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
RIP Scarlett.

Rest easy, Molly.

We had to put Clarence down today. He’s been crowing very oddly, sounding like a honk. When I picked him up tonight I noticed his breathing was bubbly and he smelled bad. I examined him after and I didn’t find any particular thing that would account for the smell, maybe he wasn’t bathing? I wonder if he’s been feeling bad for a while and I missed the signs because he’s been molting pretty hard. Poor dude didn’t get to go out in a blaze of glory like a top rooster deserves. RIP to our best guy.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:smith:

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 9, 2022

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Clarence! Molly! Scarlett! All beautiful birds who will have peace, sunshine, dust baths, and endless meal worms in the beyond.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

:rip: to a handsome rooster

I’ve only been reading this thread for a few months, but do chickens usually die this often? Or is summer/fall hard on them?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Most pet chickens live pretty long lives.

My many, many chickens are (mostly) livestock so they don’t live very long. I let my poultry free range in the woods so they encounter predators or have misadventures, and I cull sick birds (usually) instead of treating them. We also eat our chickens, most cockerels at 3 months and the hens around 2 years.

Clarence was 2 years old so he was old for my flock. I don’t usually keep a rooster for more than a year but Clarence had a reprieve last year because we sold his daughters before we moved. I had more time than usual to get attached to him :(

This is my (huge) newly promoted top rooster on the left, Frank’s RedHot.

The King is dead, long live the King.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlI3tmkNgI

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Tammy is loving her new palace.

She's looking really healthy, her feathers are much better and whiter (she loves her sand bath tub), except for the very top of her head. I'm not sure why it seems like she's losing feathers up there? I've owned a parrot who plucked his feathers, but I've never seen it on the top of the head.

But it doesn't seem to bother her, the skin looks fine, and she's a happy little quail now.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

She's probably just moulting.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

my cat is norris posted:

She's probably just moulting.
Yeah, nothing to worry about. New feathers will start sprouting soon.

Molly is still hanging in with us, still enjoying the warm sun and cuddles.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 10, 2022

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Really digging this "raised bed" set up you've got going on here for your bucket planters.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

an egg fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 11, 2022

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

bibbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i'm broody as hell and the quail are still refusing to lay eggs. i only want eggs out of my own quail right now, i've got a project going. so i've just put in an order for twelve ancona eggs, they'll be my first chickens in about five years :neckbeard: