Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ten years older and still true. :negative:

Mind you I'm in the UK, so I'll be lucky if I can afford a crumb of Sonic by Christmas time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Is there a Comics thread? I read 53 and holy poo poo I love these characters a lot

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is there a Comics thread? I read 53 and holy poo poo I love these characters a lot

In BBS, yes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853483

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Ten years older and still true. :negative:

Mind you I'm in the UK, so I'll be lucky if I can afford a crumb of Sonic by Christmas time.

Going to have to get off-brand Blue Hedgehog from Aldi this year to save money

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can only afford Aero the Acro-Bat this year unfortunately

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Sonic Origins: Are the save files shared between story and anniversary modes? Is there any reason to not just play anniversary mode if I can remember the current game I'm playing through?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Finally, the origins of Sonic Man

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So they removed all the characters ages and now no one has a official age anymore

Ian Flynn is posting #knowingsmile about it and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be reading into that for Frontiers

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They had official ages?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They had official ages?

Yeah, though they were like "Sonic is 16, turning 16 in Generations, who talks to himself from the past (who is also 16)" so it was weird in general.

https://twitter.com/Visleaf/status/1576382338661232640

https://twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/1576576182497075200

(Ian thread here)

Best part is poo poo like Archie finding out that Charmy is a kid so they gave him brain damage to make him stupider so he'd act more in line with the games.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They had official ages?
Yeah, Sonic was like 15, Tails was 8 or 9. And Amy was 12 which is even weirder than Sonic being 15.

And Shadow is 50, meaning based on his first game’s date he is technically a boomer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Perhaps the knowing smile is in regards to how its kinda dumb that Sonic characters have official ages.

Like when Nintendo tried to pretend Mario was 20 the whole time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i hope frontiers sells a billion copies so that ian flynn can become more powerful

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Are they doing a time skip thing? Are we getting Sonic Shippuden?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do get the vibe that Ian might simply have finally gotten through to Sega how dumb at least one particular decision was.

DoctorWhat posted:

Sonic Team spent over a decade without a healthy production pipeline of any kind, no budget, and no time.

Basically. It feels like every 3D Sonic game has been thrown together in the last six months, and usually as a massive overreaction to the last one. Even not counting the times they were obviously rushed to release.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Adult sonic is finally becoming official!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXNTd-pgKVc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Would genuinely be surprised if anyone at Sonic Team had ever thought about "The official Sonic ages" when making the video games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure the ages were like the other info, thrown in with maybe two seconds thought when they needed another bit of info to add flavour.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The FAA would have grounded tails for his huge number of reckless flying incidents.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/1576663482983845888

Ian implies that there's a reason tied to his comment, but who knows :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If anything it's probably just being one of the people involved in or aware of them updating official profiles, brand guidelines, etc.

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
They need to give us the characters blood types so they can be Real Anime

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Would genuinely be surprised if anyone at Sonic Team had ever thought about "The official Sonic ages" when making the video games.

I remember the US manual for Sonic 3 at least had Knuckles' age. I think he was a year older than Sonic. Making him a much more believable bully.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Emong posted:

Are they doing a time skip thing? Are we getting Sonic Shippuden?

Sonic about step into the Grand Tour.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Honestly the official ages always seemed completely extraneous to me. With only a small handful of exceptions*, the characters all kind of just exist in a vague stage of cartoon young-adulthood. None of them go to school, or have parents, or really have anything that really stops them from just hanging out and having adventures. Trying to actually acknowledge these characters having ages jsut feels weird and the few products that have tried to do so have just ended up feeling off (Looking at you, high school arc of Archie Sonic).

To me the characters just kind of exist in the same vague framework of ages the characters from Homestar Runner do: Some of the characters are clearly established as being older than others, but nobody really has a set age and their general maturity or independence can vary depending on what a particular joke or scene needs.

* - The only major exceptions are Cream and Charmy, who are consistently portrayed as small children; Vanilla, who is consistently portrayed as a grown housewife; and Eggman, whose actual age is really vague but is definitely an adult.

KingKalamari fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 3, 2022

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cream is likely close to the same age as Tails. Sonic just doesn’t comply with truancy laws, smh

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Cream is likely close to the same age as Tails. Sonic just doesn’t comply with truancy laws, smh

I thought I’d heard Cream was canonically a little younger than Tails (Tails is supposed to be 10 and Cream is around 6 or something like that)

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

tails was said to be 8 but i think 11 or 12 ish fits better personally. getting rid of the ages is a good change, not that they mattered anyway

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

amy being 12 was always weird to me

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Canonically Tails is 8 and Cream is 6, however Tails is basically treated like an adult for all intents and purposes by the games: He flies plans, owns workshops in multiple, international locations and owns a house shaped like his own head (Which, in several world cultures, is a recognized sign of adulthood). Meanwhile Cream lives with her mom, pet Chaos and robot butler and needs to ask parental permission to go on adventures with Sonic and co.

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

amy being 12 was always weird to me

I mean, especially considering the storyline of the IDW comics where she was in charge of a global peace-keeping operation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I mean, Tails is canonically a mechanical genius and has been since pretty much his debut in Sonic 2 so that makes sense at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 3, 2022

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Hrist posted:

I remember the US manual for Sonic 3 at least had Knuckles' age. I think he was a year older than Sonic. Making him a much more believable bully.

Knuckles isn't a bully he just doesn't put up w/ Sonic's poo poo. Guy just wants to chill on his island in peace

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

owns a house shaped like his own head (Which, in several world cultures, is a recognized sign of adulthood).

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SOAP shoes are back!

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1577071651379826688?s=21&t=dVicWiJf7mWw83Kts8WiiQ
…if you sign up for a newsletter.

Meanwhile, Japan gets VTuber shoes

https://twitter.com/sonicofficialjp/status/1562290372101173248?s=21&t=dVicWiJf7mWw83Kts8WiiQ

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I want the Turtle House shoes :saddowns:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I am up for basically any collaboration shoes they wanna do with whoever likes Sonic cuz like, at least we live in an age where SEGA isn't trying to ironically co-market the Sonic brand with Egoraptor anymore and like I'm super glad we just aren't in that era anymore.

That was such a dumb era.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/samsprostation/status/1577103811289952256?s=46&t=q4L_Xdp9f6-Z2XH9o34fSg

Soap shoes are back pre-ordering now gently caress waiting for reviews

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 4, 2022

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

SOAP shoes are back!

Meanwhile, Japan gets VTuber shoes

...yeah, okay, FINE :mad:

*slams "Subscribe" button*

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Honestly timeshares and other scams are leaving a lot of money on the table by not offering us a sonic the hedgehog dlc or trinket of some sort as a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

People were complaining about the rails sticking out, but it turns out they knew what they were doing all along.