Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/greg_price11/st...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

We need to shut down the underground railroad!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Minion of Freya posted:

Lmao the climate change approach is being applied to every part of government. Loud announcement of commitment to reform, quietly revoke it later when there's something else in the news cycle

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

put the fema tents near the farm and have the hurricane refugees help

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Like they actually ever read any of the poo poo they vote on.

This thing's getting killed the nanosecond doing so can't piss people off for midterm voting (because it's over).

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

ex post facho posted:

lmbo how does anyone take this party seriously

let's go dems baby! love da dems

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

how is this a promise kept???? it's just words!

also, 2050, lmao

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gas the dnd student loans thread and permaban the op

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

biceps crimes posted:

how is this a promise kept???? it's just words!

also, 2050, lmao

He promised to make a promise! Promise kept, jack!

Uncle Wemus posted:

On that topic I wish D&D had shame and they kept the thread for 'tracking Biden's campaign promises' where they were all crowing and condescending in March 2021 about all of those missions he accomplished.
You know, just so you could quote all of the 'erm actually by nominating a gusano to be the first latinx head of DHS Biden has already closed the concentration camps'

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Oct 1, 2022

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL think of all those dems faced with the prospect of being restricted from using insider trading to recoup their losses, then losing their seats

just their minds screaming with the physical image of them wearing a barrel with a pair of suspenders

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

the white hand posted:

LOL think of all those dems faced with the prospect of being restricted from using insider trading to recoup their losses, then losing their seats

just their minds screaming with the physical image of them wearing a barrel with a pair of suspenders

they'll be fine, they're protecting their own class interests not aspiring to one day be rich themselves

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Uncle Wemus posted:

I just looked for the thread, saw the date of the OP and I wonder if it'll be as fun to read as I hope.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/...ingawful.com%2F

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
:ironicat:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

But abortion will keep the Dems in power according to some absolutely brilliant loving people.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

But abortion will keep the Dems in power according to some absolutely brilliant loving people.

Don't ask about why none of the Democratic leaders who said they were going to codify it never did it.

I SAID DON"T ASK!!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, they did gently caress all but fundraise off of their own loving intransigence but think of the literal ocean of ovulating women who will wash out the Republicans in a red wave of feminism meanwhile anybody telling me to gently caress off back to D&D will be sure to have a mod know about the sternly-worded letter grossly misrepresenting my abhorrent personal views that I will be sending them.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

give me the child for the first seven years and i'll let him stroke my leg hair

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
this loving ghoul is gonna run for president on the dem ticket.

gavin is just so tired of the homeless not being rounded up abd warehoused
that's literally the context here. CA dems are inacting a "CARES act" which is specifically about setting up courts and retainerships to force the homeless to legally go where they want them.
The same year he's crowing about a budget surplus big enough to end homelessness and house every homeless person in CA gavin and his veto proof majority instead set up a court system that allows CA to institutionalize them

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Oct 3, 2022

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
How else will we get the bell riots if they don't make the sanctuary districts

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
visible homelessness makes american voters completely go tunnel vision to make homelessness invisible again

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

How else will we get the bell riots if they don't make the sanctuary districts

star trek’s predictions for the 2020s really seem on track

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I love how both the Dems and GOP agree that the best way to deal with unhoused persons is to lock them up.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Iron Crowned posted:

I love how both the Dems and GOP agree that the best way to deal with unhoused persons is to lock them up.

Yeah. What I love about that quote and plan to specifically allow local governments to force the homeless into court ordered programs before they commit any crimes and put them in conservatorship if they don't comply is it's 100% a 90's republican plan.

For extra comedy, if you said "Look at this plan from Texas, and here's what Greg Abbot said about civil rights advocates protesting it." They would absolutely boo and hiss the mean red team.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah. What I love about that quote and plan to specifically allow local governments to force the homeless into court ordered programs before they commit any crimes and put them in conservatorship if they don't comply is it's 100% a 90's republican plan.

For extra comedy, if you said "Look at this plan from Texas, and here's what Greg Abbot said about civil rights advocates protesting it." They would absolutely boo and hiss the mean red team.

Last week there was a little piece local media ran about a local whining about homelessnesses and it was just a perfect distilled view into the liberal mindset

https://www.koin.com/local/multnomah-county/start-being-leaders-woman-frustrated-by-wheelers-response-to-homeless-concerns/amp/

quote:

she moved to Portland from the East Coast five years ago because she wanted to live in a more progressive city.

Oh word?

quote:

she shared stories about how the crisis has impacted herself, her friends and neighbors.

“My friend is a realtor who just recently lost a deal because a homeless camp popped up in front of a house the clients were going to buy. What if that’s how you made a living? Are you going to subsidize that loss for him?”

Lmao

quote:

“They blame it on unaffordable housing,” Rose said. “That’s part of it, but it’s also enabling, and they don’t want to give up that narrative,” Rose said.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
If I were homeless I would simply choose not to be, as soon as society stopped enabling my footloose and fancy free lifestyle

-otherwise I would be unpersoned and sent to a treatment facility until I made that choice

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the fun part of that is how those involuntarily institutionalized homeless people are going to be used as slave labor. using convicted prisoners as slaves is legal, because this is a demon cracker nation. using people who were not convicted of a crime is very much not legal, due to some minor conflict i have been assured was about states' rights. this will not matter at all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

star trek’s predictions for the 2020s really seem on track

DS9's sanctuary districts were way more humane than what we actually got though.

You got shelter and an ATM card to withdraw welfare money. And all it took for the American people to start sympathizing with you during a riot is a heartfelt plea that homeless people have families too. If the homeless actually rioted and god forbid kidnapped some cops in real America the public would be baying for their blood

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If you're a service worker and you call the police because a homeless person is assaulting you they will straight up refuse to come help you. But if a homeless person makes a petit bourgeoisie uncomfortable by simply existing it's straight to jail.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1577071370457923584

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the fun part of that is how those involuntarily institutionalized homeless people are going to be used as slave labor. using convicted prisoners as slaves is legal, because this is a demon cracker nation. using people who were not convicted of a crime is very much not legal, due to some minor conflict i have been assured was about states' rights. this will not matter at all.

you can get liberals to support slave labor if you simply call it by a different name. It’s gross and lol if you think camps for the homeless set up in this country by elite shitheads like newsom will end up as anything other than sanctuaries of unimaginable cruelty, much like private prisons

the white hand posted:

visible homelessness makes american voters completely go tunnel vision to make homelessness invisible again

It’s because mass visible homelessness is a sobering reflection of what American capitalism is really about beneath all the bullshit advertising and progressive campaign slogans, and this scares the poo poo out of people like newsom

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MLSM posted:

It’s because mass visible homelessness is a sobering reflection of what American capitalism is really about beneath all the bullshit advertising and progressive campaign slogans, and this scares the poo poo out of people like newsom
nah, a Newsom supporter/the average CA lib, sure. But Gavin? He's strictly a climber with 0 ideology or conscience. His entire thought pattern is "this will get me votes, and homeless people are icky" there's no reflection of the cruelty of capitalism, just subhuman filth he wants gone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Coolness Averted posted:

nah, a Newsom supporter/the average CA lib, sure. But Gavin? He's strictly a climber with 0 ideology or conscience. His entire thought pattern is "this will get me votes, and homeless people are icky" there's no reflection of the cruelty of capitalism, just subhuman filth he wants gone.

This is an undoubtedly correct assessment of Newsom, but it's also a 100% correct assessment of why homelessness is a problem to be dealt with as brutally as possible by any politician in any arena. I have a modicum of sympathy for California as a place where the unhoused won't automatically freeze to death at night and therefore will always be a destination for them to go, but that just means that the problem can't be dealt with on a state-by-state basis and must be addressed comprehensively at the federal level. And given that it can't be solved under capitalism, can't be solved locally, and the federal government (from a domestic administration perspective) has all but collapsed except for instances where it needs to continue to exist to benefit capital, there is no humane examination of the problem, much less work toward a solution.

I'm not giving Newsom a pass on being lovely but I am willing to admit he couldn't do anything to solve it even if he wanted to (which he doesn't and which is a totally separate unsolvable problem).

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Back before covid, the Trump admin was pushing the same policies on homelessness that libs like Newsom are now running with. Many such cases

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Gavin Newsom looked at those stories about how California was running out of inmate firefighters and joined the dots in his head

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sure the private migrant detention black site down by the docks can add more prefab buildings

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Everyone knows he’s a hosed up rear end in a top hat, this and Christian’s Twitter statements won’t change anything

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
More proof the whole anti abortion movement means they only want to outlaw abortion for poor people

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Nucleic Acids posted:

Everyone knows he’s a hosed up rear end in a top hat, this and Christian’s Twitter statements won’t change anything

believe it or not, there are people who remain "on the fence" about candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

believe it or not, there are people who remain "on the fence" about candidates.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=46