Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

JOHN CENA posted:

i fell through a freighter exiting my spaceship and it generated the infinite fall as a restore point and i had to reload my last manual save which was about 6 months ago

:sigh:

Since they've added new space storms recently, you can also recover this by re-loading your autosave, and continue to fall for a while. In my experience, rather sooner then later you'll pass a radiation storm and get grilled. Then you should respawn in a less stupid spot.

Edit:

Of course this won't work if you have a permadeath-save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I’ve recently hopped back on after a long while away. Used a teleport to get to my first discovered planet and felt really sad when I found out that one of the updates caused all the creatures I originally discovered to go extinct. RIP A Dino.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I've run into a weird problem with a new base I'm currently building: I realized too late that the main part of the building was too dark and I didn't just want to plaster everything with lamps, so I ripped out a part of the ceiling to replace it with glass floor tiles, my go-to to get some more light into stuff.

Now, for some reason nothing wanted to snap to the hole in my ceiling. Eventually, I just ripped out more and more parts until the entire roof was gone, but the problem seems to be the walls. Did someone encounter similar problems? If I absolutely have to, I can and I will demolish everything down to the ground and try again, but I'd rather not to

Edit:

Nevermind, I solved the riddle. Turns out my ship was hiding deep down below me, in the foundation of my building. It seems the game had been nice enough to spawn the ship not only inside my base, but down below enough to be out of sight. My ship's anti-fun field was what caused the no-snapping issue. After launching and moving the ship to the side, everything started working again like normal.

This game sometimes, ugh

Libluini fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 8, 2022

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
While I’m daydreaming a wishlist, I would really love to manage my fleet expeditions and settlements outside the game via API. I get that some busywork is part of the game, but at a certain scale it turns being space-rich into a full time job, especially since it’s time boxed and happening independent of gameplay.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Your save game is 100% local, so an API (aka, reverse engineering the bits of the game that decide what happens there and running it in a headless manner on whatever device that's also syncing your save game with your actual game location) would be exponentially harder than just getting one of the mods that removes or reduces the timers on time-delayed things

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Your save game is 100% local, so an API (aka, reverse engineering the bits of the game that decide what happens there and running it in a headless manner on whatever device that's also syncing your save game with your actual game location) would be exponentially harder than just getting one of the mods that removes or reduces the timers on time-delayed things

my e-bushido prohibits this :qq:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Confirmed by Sean, 4.0 drops when the Switch version comes out, Oct 7th.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1572933809506598915?t=3TskDveGXeQqm7kHJed9wg&s=19

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder if it'll bring any performance improvements for PC. I'm on an i5 9600k, 32gb of RAM and a fuckin rtx 3070 and the thing still stutters like crazy in-atmo, almost like it's struggling to load all the game resources at once. i'll go from like ~8ms frametimes to like 50-75ms for 3 or 4 frames, be fine again for another second, then stutter again. it's real bizarre and annoying

That said I've been having a good time since starting from scratch last week after having put the game down for several updates.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I played like a hundred hours of this game, but when I tried to pick it back up I couldn't get past the stuttering. I don't know if it used to be better, or if I am just less tolerant of it now

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

It's frustrating because the game ran so well after they brought in VR. On my old 1060 3GB it suddenly ran like a dream and then every update after slowed it down again bit by bit.

I have an RX 6600 XT now, and while the frame rate is decent, the stuttering is constant and impossible to ignore.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

will i get my sword in 4.0

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

What I really want is proper co-op base building.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
I get terrible stutter if I use any texture setting other than "Enhanced", then it's smooth as (it recommends 8gb+ to go up from that, so only having 4gb it makes sense it's not happy).
Still using a GTX 1650 Super, though I was going to look at prices for an upgrade.

Funnily, for a short while I was using the integrated graphics chipset on to the TV, and didn't realise until I saw the sound output was coming from it also :negative:. My only defence is that I hadn't used my pc for gaming for a long while and forgot what was plugged in where.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Didn't I hear somewhere that using older saves in newer updates can cause issues?

Meaning, maybe it's best you start a new file if your current one was started a few updates ago, even if it's been updated along with it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Didn't I hear somewhere that using older saves in newer updates can cause issues?

Meaning, maybe it's best you start a new file if your current one was started a few updates ago, even if it's been updated along with it.

Old saves have smaller nutrition storage for some reason but that is the only problem I know of.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

The most recent update to the game tells you if you have an old save file that it needs to be updated before you can play it. All you have to do is click on it to update the file, but I would assume that this is in response to people having issues with older saves.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've not had any issues and I've been using the same save since Foundation.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On PS4 here, no issues either. But that can be because my PS4 deals with stuff like "updating" save files, one of the reasons I'm playing relaxation time games like NMS not on PC anymore, my PC is for mind-numbingly complex strategy games, thank you very much

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My save from launch is fine. Initially ps4, now ps5.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Is general wiki stuff still accurate for getting milestones in extreme survival? Like I can just build a shack in any red-text-weather planet and stand there 8 hours to max it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

0konner posted:

Is general wiki stuff still accurate for getting milestones in extreme survival? Like I can just build a shack in any red-text-weather planet and stand there 8 hours to max it?

Yep, did this on an arctic planet. Well, I didn't just sit there, I was trying to build a hotel-like area for friends but it was also a great place to get storm crystals. Got all my survival milestones there and it didn't even take that long.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

0konner posted:

To my knowledge, you can't be in a base. You can either find a building or trade station easily, dip into a nearby cave that doesn't have toxic plants, or use your train manipulator to make a mud hut.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yep, did this on an arctic planet. Well, I didn't just sit there, I was trying to build a hotel-like area for friends but it was also a great place to get storm crystals. Got all my survival milestones there and it didn't even take that long.

Hm the planet I’m on has red text for the weather but doesn’t seem to have storm crystals maybe this environment I’m in doesn’t count?

E: found a hostile sentinel world that seems to be working as I sit in my little wormhole in the dirt.

0konner fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 28, 2022

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i had similar problems with that extreme survival milestone years back, i think it's glitched.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Switch interview with Sean:

• Same universe and procgen formula as the PC and bigger console versions. Planets should have the same location, terrain and object placements as the other platforms.
  • All the past updates are included. They thought they might have to cut some from the launch and add them later, but no!
  • Multiplayer and settlements will not be in the Switch version on day one. I knew about multiplayer, but not settlements.
  • They're not sure mulitplayer will be that important on Switch since they figure with the whole portable people are usually playing on the train etc. away from an internet connection, but they'll see what people think and want.
  • Still no plans for paid DLC or microtransactions, even after half a decade of free expansion packs.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Kins posted:

Switch interview with Sean:

• Same universe and procgen formula as the PC and bigger console versions. Planets should have the same location, terrain and object placements as the other platforms.
  • All the past updates are included. They thought they might have to cut some from the launch and add them later, but no!
  • Multiplayer and settlements will not be in the Switch version on day one. I knew about multiplayer, but not settlements.
  • They're not sure mulitplayer will be that important on Switch since they figure with the whole portable people are usually playing on the train etc. away from an internet connection, but they'll see what people think and want.
  • Still no plans for paid DLC or microtransactions, even after half a decade of free expansion packs.

Giga-chad

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I JUST got my Steam deck, so tonight marks the very first time my wife and I are going to be able to play together. Super pumped!

I was initially really into a Switch version, but there's literally no reason for me to bother now. Still, that's great for those who want it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I suspect that the number of people who use the Switch's portability for "playing from their toilet instead of on the TV" is going to be significant enough that they'll re-address their stance on multiplayer sooner rather than later, to be honest

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Lots of new 4.0 info in this article: https://www.eurogamer.net/no-mans-sky-sean-murray-talks-switch-this-weeks-40-update-and-the-future

In particular I'm excited about this:

No Man's Sky Article posted:

4.0 marks something of a departure from previous major number bumps, and Murray is keen to keep expectations in check. While 2.0 and 3.0 [titled Next and Beyond, respectively] were "huge updates in terms of content", he explains, "that isn't the case, here". Instead, 4.0 brings extensive changes to what Murray calls "the more design-heavy elements" of the game: balance, difficulty, and structure.

"For me," he continues, "this update is for if you've said, 'Look, I played No Man's Sky and I wanted to love it, but I bumped off it a bit because it was a bit grindy, [or] if you said 'I want to come back, but it's been ages and there's been so many updates and it feels overwhelming'… You've probably had this experience where you've come to a game where it's been updated a tonne and… sometimes those [elements] don't fit as cohesively as you'd like. We hear this sometimes, and I think it's true… and so what we've done [in 4.0] is we've revisited a bunch of things that are really impactful from the design perspective."

No Man's Sky Article posted:

To that end, 4.0 features "lots of streamlining in terms of the tutorial, when you unlock certain things, what's available to you", all intended to fit No Man's Sky's six years of updates "into a more cohesive whole". That streamlining will also extend to the game's inventory system, which, in turn, has enabled Hello Games to "massively increase what is effectively the level cap", meaning bigger inventories, and the opportunity to level up ships and weapons further than was possible before.

Additionally, 4.0 introduces No Man's Sky's first new game modes since the arrival of Creative and Survival in 2016's Foundation update. "When we [originally] launched," explains Murray, "we made the game a little bit more difficult and more grindy, perhaps, because we didn't have the breadth of content [we do now]. But now people come in and they want to see a mech, they want to see the story, they want to go to the Nexus and things like that, and so we wanted to find that right balance for new players".

As part of that goal, 4.0 adds a new Relaxed mode (playable with either a fresh or existing save), which Murray calls a "very fun version of No Man's Sky where the focus is on exploration, less on just surviving and grinding, [where it's easier] to see the six years of content that's there". This, he says, works well for first-time players, "but I think it's [also] a common request from people who might have longer playthroughs, who might want just a game where they kick back".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

this is some good stuff

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quote:

They're not sure mulitplayer will be that important on Switch since they figure with the whole portable people are usually playing on the train etc. away from an internet connection, but they'll see what people think and want.

they have internet on trains now, sean

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
But is there a ship customizer? Shaders? Hues?

This game would benefit massively from a mega-cosmetics patch.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have finally travelled across 3/4 of Eissantam galaxy and made it to the centre!
Took a bit of jumping around at the end to find an undiscovered system to claim but I did and I’m now building a small base on a paradise planet before prepping to jump through the core.
It’s very weird seeing signs of so many other travellers, Eissantam is quite quiet and it was really rare to find any previously discovered systems in my travels there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Helith posted:

I have finally travelled across 3/4 of Eissantam galaxy and made it to the centre!
Took a bit of jumping around at the end to find an undiscovered system to claim but I did and I’m now building a small base on a paradise planet before prepping to jump through the core.
It’s very weird seeing signs of so many other travellers, Eissantam is quite quiet and it was really rare to find any previously discovered systems in my travels there.

If you want a REALLY quiet lush galaxy, hop on over to Isdoraijung (#19).

There's essentially no one there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Psyker posted:

But is there a ship customizer? Shaders? Hues?

This game would benefit massively from a mega-cosmetics patch.

I can't believe they never did this after 6 years.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zesty posted:

I can't believe they never did this after 6 years.
I think I can. It's one of the main drivers of the whole discovery loop.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I still think painting your ship should be possible. Explore to find the cool model, then paint it how you want. It fits every other customizable system in the game.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
I always figured it would be a system where you could breakdown ships to salvage their parts and paintjobs for use in future customisation, so you'd still have to go out and discover cool ships but it would make it a little less frustrating to finally get that perfect ship exactly how you wanted.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I would love to build a Frankenship (sorry, Frankenstein's Starship), with custom parts and the ability to colour and decorate everything.

Essentially, I want the customization options from F-Zero GX, but for NMS starships.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here we go

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1577419744814039040