Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Quick Draft is MID and I'm tempted to enter it a bit because I have the least cards from that set out of the last year - all I remember from that format is UB zombies ride or die and GR being bad because werewolves were awful. What was white up to again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

all the esper combinations hosed iirc. white red good if you get the busted gold uncommon

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Boxman posted:

Quick Draft is MID and I'm tempted to enter it a bit because I have the least cards from that set out of the last year - all I remember from that format is UB zombies ride or die and GR being bad because werewolves were awful. What was white up to again?

UW is the best deck, UG is great, basically you can't be wrong with blue (UR can be a bit challenging to draft and pilot though). I had good luck with GB last time it came up in premier draft too, but it's not as consistent as the blue decks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I didn't know that Explorer existed until that post about it, right now. Looking at some of these decks, it looks like a lot of fun, time to build something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The longer Explorer stays the way it is the more people will migrate back to Standard or over to Historic tbh. No one enjoys queueing into a wall of Rakdos or Greasefang.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Eej posted:

The longer Explorer stays the way it is the more people will migrate back to Standard or over to Historic tbh. No one enjoys queueing into a wall of Rakdos or Greasefang.

yeah unfortunately the explorer meta has aligned with pioneer's a lot faster than I hoped. I'm not sure what you could even ban from rakdos because it's just a pile of the best cards in those colors.

I like the existence of gf in concept, both the playstyle and as a deck exerting force on the metagame, but it might be slightly overtuned. it has the opposite problem of rakdos since banning gf or P2 effectively kills the deck

kalel fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 3, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kalel posted:

yeah unfortunately the explorer meta has aligned with pioneer's a lot faster than I hoped. I'm not sure what you could even ban from rakdos because it's just a pile of the best cards in those colors.

I don't know what pioneer's meta is like but wouldn't a better answer than banning cards be "hurry the gently caress up and give us the rest of pioneer" so there's more than two top-tier decks?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Judgy Fucker posted:

I don't know what pioneer's meta is like but wouldn't a better answer than banning cards be "hurry the gently caress up and give us the rest of pioneer" so there's more than two top-tier decks?

i have bad news for you about the pioneer meta

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Ah, well, nevertheless

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The problem is systemic. Explorer, and even Pioneer, simply have too few cards which support too few archetypes for people to remain interested.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Chamale posted:

I didn't know that Explorer existed until that post about it, right now. Looking at some of these decks, it looks like a lot of fun, time to build something.

This is anecdotal but opponents in explorer are chiller than those in historic. Historic players will spam emotes from turn one to the moment their last rope runs out. And I know, mute opponents but I never noticed an issue until I recently went back to get some reps in on my historic madness deck.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Can someone explain to me like I'm a very dumb baby why Rest in Peace is not an acceptable answer to Greasefang? I haven't played explorer much in about a month or so but RIP seemed to work just fine in my angels deck against it

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Judgy Fucker posted:

Can someone explain to me like I'm a very dumb baby why Rest in Peace is not an acceptable answer to Greasefang? I haven't played explorer much in about a month or so but RIP seemed to work just fine in my angels deck against it

Definitely good against Greasefang, but against any other deck you're down a card automatically.

After thirty minutes of playing Explorer, though, I am tempted to make a deck with 4 Scavenging Ooze and 4 Lion Sash just to crush that Greasefang jerk.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Chamale posted:

Definitely good against Greasefang, but against any other deck you're down a card automatically.

After thirty minutes of playing Explorer, though, I am tempted to make a deck with 4 Scavenging Ooze and 4 Lion Sash just to crush that Greasefang jerk.

Oh, are most of the people complaining about Greasefang playing Bo1? I forget that's a thing, especially for explorer or historic.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MasterBuilder posted:

This is anecdotal but opponents in explorer are chiller than those in historic. Historic players will spam emotes from turn one to the moment their last rope runs out. And I know, mute opponents but I never noticed an issue until I recently went back to get some reps in on my historic madness deck.

Anecdotally speaking but Explorer opponents in Diamond and higher are tryhard grinders to the extreme and Historic players are just playing weird goofball poo poo.

Judgy Fucker posted:

The reason why Greasefang shifted to Abzan is for access to Witherbloom's Command, which can destroy Rest in Peace or any other GY hate card and Esika's Chariot which can apply pressure without interacting with the GY at all. Also Grisly Salvage too, I guess, but the ability to destroy Rest In Peace, Grafdigger's Cage, Unlicensed Hearse, Soul-Guide Lantern, Tormod's Crypt etc. is pretty key because it only costs 2 mana and you can often just combo out the turn you remove it.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Oh, are most of the people complaining about Greasefang playing Bo1? I forget that's a thing, especially for explorer or historic.

Greasefang is second highest winrate deck in Plat+ BO3, third highest in Diamond+ BO3 right now so no.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

dies to witherbloom command, as does unlicensed hearse, soul-guide lantern, and weathered runestone. I love casting that card. I also love that some junk rare from WAR ended up becoming a pivotal piece in a tier 1 deck years later. that's a dream design goal tbh

Judgy Fucker posted:

it's top tier in bo3 as well, but yeah it's a lot more obnoxious if you don't have main deck hate in a single-game scenario.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Judgy Fucker posted:

Bo1 or Bo3?
Bo1, it's a dead card in other matchups and against greasefang would need to be played proactively on turn 2 because they can so easily go end of turn discard, into greasefang. Also against the abzan version it dies to witherbloom command.

Edit: Beaten multiple times.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I had been thinking Bo3, but then

Chamale posted:

Made me remember to specify whether I'm talking Bo1 or Bo3, since that comment only makes sense with the former

Eej posted:

The reason why Greasefang shifted to Abzan is for access to Witherbloom's Command, which can destroy Rest in Peace or any other GY hate card and Esika's Chariot which can apply pressure without interacting with the GY at all. Also Grisly Salvage too, I guess, but the ability to destroy Rest In Peace, Grafdigger's Cage, Unlicensed Hearse, Soul-Guide Lantern, Tormod's Crypt etc. is pretty key because it only costs 2 mana and you can often just combo out the turn you remove it.

Thank you for the thorough answer. And to everyone else for chiming in!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

Thank you for the thorough answer.

You're Welcome.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mono G Devotion has a really good path to beating Greasefang consistently by turbo ramping out Karn which just kills all of their vehicles from functioning and the only way to remove him is with creature damage which: lol.

But, you know, no Nykthos or Oath of Nissa so every other matchup isn't as good in Explorer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kalel posted:

I also love that some junk rare from WAR ended up becoming a pivotal piece in a tier 1 deck years later
lol the tcgplayer foil price history is pretty funny, just BWOOP straight vertical before cooling off a bit
https://www.tcgplayer.com/product/1...anguage=English

what other garbage trash rares have had that sort of value change years later?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

not quite the same scenario but the price history on ledger shredder is funny

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I like cling to dust as a greasefang answer (one mana, instant, doesn't leave you down a card, can be replayed) but i'm sure one of you pros will tell me why that's not a good idea in bo1

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Only a good card in a grindy B deck which is not very Explorer meta right now

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Hooplah posted:

I like cling to dust as a greasefang answer (one mana, instant, doesn't leave you down a card, can be replayed) but i'm sure one of you pros will tell me why that's not a good idea in bo1

Mostly because after the first time it costs 4, and you need to keep your graveyard fed, and they're beating you with Chariot and probably Graveyard trespasser from the sideboard

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I'm always a fan of bouncing the grease ball with the trigger on the stack so they need another discard outlet to get it going again. Works well against the Esper and mardu version but the abzan version is able to play a fair game if the reanimation plan doesn't pan out.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I am dogshit at drafting but I can proudly say I went 6-3 my last MID draft. My losses were all to Dimir Disturb. Disturb creatures let you outlast removal and most of them have flying, it's baller in limited.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Starting to really really love overcharged amalgam. Nobody expects their channel lands to get countered.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

I'm always a fan of bouncing the grease ball with the trigger on the stack so they need another discard outlet to get it going again. Works well against the Esper and mardu version but the abzan version is able to play a fair game if the reanimation plan doesn't pan out.

I think that's what finally pushed the deck over the top, when it went from an all-in T3 combo deck to being that PLUS a deck that can just beat you to death with Chariot and Informant and whatever else. Its plan B being a pretty OK midrange deck happy to let you waste a bunch of tempo and resources on sideboard hate.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

what other garbage trash rares have had that sort of value change years later?

I had a playset of Phyrexian Dreadnought that I bought for $4 and sold a decade later for $600.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I paper draft weekly with some buddies who are very good Arena players (3 of them are ranked Mythic) and they were discussing the power of rares and uncommon in a vacuum (so useful early in a draft before you have a direction or to see if something is particularly open). This is what one of them came up with on discord. In the rare image, the Battlemage Captain as a power-level reference.

Hopefully some of you guys struggling with limited might find this helpful. As always though, and I can't stress this enough, it is very important to draft a deck and not simply pick "good cards" in DMU. If you have found your lane through P1, seeing something super good in P2 is not an invitation to grab the card and splash it or move in or something if it doesn't fit your plan or the cards you have already drafted aren't versatile enough to accommodate a new strategy.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kalel posted:

I'm not sure what you could even ban from rakdos because it's just a pile of the best cards in those colors.
you ban Mayhem Devil because it's existence precludes allowing other creature decks to exist. it's removal, reach and an efficient body on 1 card.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

MikeC posted:

I paper draft weekly with some buddies who are very good Arena players (3 of them are ranked Mythic) and they were discussing the power of rares and uncommon in a vacuum (so useful early in a draft before you have a direction or to see if something is particularly open). This is what one of them came up with on discord. In the rare image, the Battlemage Captain as a power-level reference.

Hopefully some of you guys struggling with limited might find this helpful. As always though, and I can't stress this enough, it is very important to draft a deck and not simply pick "good cards" in DMU. If you have found your lane through P1, seeing something super good in P2 is not an invitation to grab the card and splash it or move in or something if it doesn't fit your plan or the cards you have already drafted aren't versatile enough to accommodate a new strategy.

The Devastator and Danitha belong in a column of their own, those you almost always take P2P1 and shift or splash for, and give strong consideration to doing that P3P1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
remember when people were seriously saying that Sheoldred would get banned lmao

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

precision posted:

remember when people were seriously saying that Sheoldred would get banned lmao

no I don’t remember that

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I remember some magic gurus thinking it would be good but not fantastic.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Time posted:

no I don’t remember that

There were definitely people IN THIS VERY THREAD saying it, maybe you have them on ignore

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lone Goat posted:

There were definitely people IN THIS VERY THREAD saying it, maybe you have them on ignore

oh I thought it was implicit we were talking about, like, ppl who are good and put a lot of thought into constructed which I didn’t see at all, even here

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think there were people in this thread saying it SHOULD get banned, but i think the WOULD get banned people I only really saw elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
That’s not a shot at anyone I just didn’t see anything like that but maybe remember some post match salt which is a very different thing