Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so yeah who thinks Andor is going to do Star Wars Heat this week

and do realistic drills with his blaster AK at space cops

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dave Syndrome posted:

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but I've read this five times and I can't understand what you're trying to say.

No it's not just you, I don't understand either

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

so yeah who thinks Andor is going to do Star Wars Heat this week

and do realistic drills with his blaster AK at space cops

I suspect this week episode will leave us on the precipice (maybe it will show too the other planet where his ex-gf was, showing the Empire starting to crack heads?) and the next episode will be the heist.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

2nd Amendment posted:

I don't know if it is true but I always loved the story about phantom anakin picking up girls with the "are you an angel?" line and then watching them copulate with dogs.

Even if it isn't true it feels true to life.

I didn't know star wars even had dogs in it

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

"and then they copulated with dogs" is a really, really odd choice of rumors to "love," wtf is wrong with you JAKE LLOYD WTF

STAR WARS IS GOOD AND ANDOR MAKES ME SUPER LOVE IT AGAIN.

vvvv aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAA

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 3, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeronandor/status/1576790662271635457?s=20&t=s6ZdUNzk8YLaH51hO4wjug

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

drat. That's the best kind of guy to have in charge. He cares most about telling a good story and writing a good scene, but event though he's reputedly not a fan (and I think there's an argument to be made being too much "a fan" in charge can be an impediment that makes your work too self-referential-- basically "authorized fanfiction") he knows the setting bible front to back and won't be caught lacking.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Dresh posted:

I very clearly remember another Jake Lloyd thread where two different goons recalled him offering to masturbate their dogs for them. The thread then devolved into endless canine jerking posts, but I have no idea if the initial claims were true or not.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1576958645891309569?t=ZlM4zaah37JkyLJcd03K4Q&s=19

Funnily enough, I first heard about the Ghorman Massacre in the X-Wing strategy guide. I didn't realize it was a TTRPG thing.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 3, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

One observation about Andor: even though the PACING is slow-boil deliberate, the storytelling is still very economical.

I imagined a number of scenes as fallout from the Ferrix Raid. Karn's boss coming back and doing a spit take, then grilled by the Empire. Karn dressed down by his boss, possibly losing his job or at least severely demoted. The Empire pulling some or all of Pre-Mor's power in the sector.

They moved things along instead with a single (very effective) scene of the ISB guy dressing down all three of the main corpos at once with a small exposition update on the status of things while the set was cleared out by imps, and one almost dialogue-free long walk home for Karn. The scope has zoomed out a bit and these characters still get some consideration, but it trusts the audience not to need multiple scenes to move things along from the inevitable consequences it already set up.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

PunkBoy posted:

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1576958645891309569?t=ZlM4zaah37JkyLJcd03K4Q&s=19

Funnily enough, I first heard about the Ghorman Massacre in the X-Wing strategy guide. I didn't realize it was a TTRPG thing.
i had to google that to make sure it was in fact that thing i remember reading in the star wars encyclopedia or essential guide to characters or whatever thirty loving years ago [edit] or maybe it was the WEG sourcebooks, i had a couple of those too

Owlbear Camus posted:

drat. That's the best kind of guy to have in charge. He cares most about telling a good story and writing a good scene, but event though he's reputedly not a fan (and I think there's an argument to be made being too much "a fan" in charge can be an impediment that makes your work too self-referential-- basically "authorized fanfiction") he knows the setting bible front to back and won't be caught lacking.
yeah if gilroy knows this stuff and is treating it as part of the history of the setting for the story he wants to tell then that's a good sign

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I completely missed this.
https://twitter.com/jynkassa/status/1575070770795261952?t=eXGWMaZxZNuRUDW2tqZwnQ&s=19

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ash1138 posted:

i had to google that to make sure it was in fact that thing i remember reading in the star wars encyclopedia or essential guide to characters or whatever thirty loving years ago [edit] or maybe it was the WEG sourcebooks, i had a couple of those too

yeah if gilroy knows this stuff and is treating it as part of the history of the setting for the story he wants to tell then that's a good sign

The Ghorman Massacre was in 18 BBY in the original Legends canon, so this means Tony Gilroy has done his work on the Disney setting bible to make the show. As season 2 is supposed to cover the events up until Rogue One, I wouldn't be surprised if this means the Ghorman Massacre ends up a major part of the ending of the show.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
IIRC it was brought up in Rebels as being around the 2 BBY timeline.

It was the thing that led to Mothma leaving the Imperial Senate and officially announcing the Alliance to Restore the Republic to the Galaxy.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Mon Mothma having a preening rear end for a husband is just such a nice touch.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ash1138 posted:

I really hope the glimpses we get of the early rebellion have them mostly flying Z-95s and Y-wings.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I really don’t know how you would keep your rebel base a secret from spies once your army has gotten big enough to have a fleet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Probably should have asked this before I let 7 pages go by but is the 4th ep good on its own? I liked having the first 3 eps altogether to watch at once and there were some of us wondering whether successive episodes would be worthwhile to watch or if it'd be better to wait until the next batch of 3 were all out.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

CubanMissile posted:

I really don’t know how you would keep your rebel base a secret from spies once your army has gotten big enough to have a fleet.
Either stick to uninhabited planets (Yavin, Hoth), or park the fleet somewhere else (like at the end of ESB) while you keep a small patrol/defense force near the ground base.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lobok posted:

Probably should have asked this before I let 7 pages go by but is the 4th ep good on its own? I liked having the first 3 eps altogether to watch at once and there were some of us wondering whether successive episodes would be worthwhile to watch or if it'd be better to wait until the next batch of 3 were all out.

the theme is calmer than the first three but it's my favorite because of like 3-4 downright excellent bits of characterization. i thought about doing this series in chunks but i ain't gonna now

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Lord Hydronium posted:

Either stick to uninhabited planets (Yavin, Hoth), or park the fleet somewhere else (like at the end of ESB) while you keep a small patrol/defense force near the ground base.

I just assume there would have to be a huge amount of support staff you would need to keep an eye on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Essentially until like 2-3 years or so BBY the rebel alliance was all individual small cells doing jobs. They didn't start to be able to mobilize large fleets until after they went public.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

It's a big galaxy and the Imperial Fleet can't be everywhere. Logistics would be a problem, but not an insurmountable one.

It would be a pain, but you could do the logistical equivalent of "dead drops:" A couple nav buoys far outside major shipping lanes. You have cutout middle men take the coaxium/weapons, even personnel in containers, leave them there for the next pickup, if they do get nabbed by imps and interrogated, they don't know the final destination. The poor fuckers actually staffing Yavin or Hoth are just stuck there for the duration.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

it does seem like that even with all of the technology available, that being able to keep a close eye on star systems is still a challenge because of the overwhelming size of space. The Star Wars galaxy has millions of planets that can be landed on and used to hide in. The empire had to send out hundreds of probes across the galaxy to find the rebel base on Hoth, and they found it out of pure dumb luck and were ready to ignore it if it wasn't for Vader insisting they were there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So Mon Mothma mentioned that there is someone she wants to bring into the resistance. Clearly there is only one acceptable option for who it is.

Get me live-action Starkiller, stat!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's c3po up to at the moment? already with leia?

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Hanging and banging with Caprain Antilles.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Maybe this is my controversial view but I just don't want it to be jimmy smits. Sorry jimmy, I've had enough of you for the time being

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Maybe this is my controversial view but I just don't want it to be jimmy smits. Sorry jimmy, I've had enough of you for the time being
I would also prefer if it's someone new

Maybe a Legends character like Garm Bel Iblis? He was supposed to have been a Senator at one point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I agree, I don't feel like this is a hot take or anything. Please add new stuff to the lore of Star Wars, Andor has been doing such a great job at that so far. I kinda already don't like Mon Mothma being in this to begin with too because she is such a well known and established character. There is nothing wrong with the character in this show though thankfully. She won't be doing two back to back child Leia chase scenes *monkey paw finger curls*

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

If we take the prequels deleted scene in the jedi temple as canon(and we do not have to), Organa is already involved with Mon Mothma

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I have no idea what their backstories/how they join the Rebellion in the new canon, so this may not work, but it be someone cool like Ackbar or Dodonna or Red Leader.

Comedy Option: Jar Jar

FlamingLiberal posted:

Maybe a Legends character like Garm Bel Iblis? He was supposed to have been a Senator at one point.

Bel Iblis would be interesting since the old EU had him and Mon Mothma at odds on how to handle things, with Bail Organa serving as the balancing point between the two.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

i say swears online posted:

the theme is calmer than the first three but it's my favorite because of like 3-4 downright excellent bits of characterization. i thought about doing this series in chunks but i ain't gonna now

Cool, thanks

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

it does seem like that even with all of the technology available, that being able to keep a close eye on star systems is still a challenge because of the overwhelming size of space. The Star Wars galaxy has millions of planets that can be landed on and used to hide in. The empire had to send out hundreds of probes across the galaxy to find the rebel base on Hoth, and they found it out of pure dumb luck and were ready to ignore it if it wasn't for Vader insisting they were there.

I liked how the old PC game Rebellion handled that. The Alliance home base starts on a random planet in the Outer Rim, and the Empire has to start searching every sector to try and find it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The blonde ISB agent says that she thinks she’s finding a pattern of organized rebellion through the thefts of important devices, so it seems clear that as late as 5 BBY the cells still hadn’t unified enough or done big enough operations to convince the Empire of their threat.

Since Gilroy could refer to the Ghorman Massacre offhand so fast, I’m guessing we’re going to see it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I agree, I don't feel like this is a hot take or anything. Please add new stuff to the lore of Star Wars, Andor has been doing such a great job at that so far. I kinda already don't like Mon Mothma being in this to begin with too because she is such a well known and established character. There is nothing wrong with the character in this show though thankfully. She won't be doing two back to back child Leia chase scenes *monkey paw finger curls*

naw

we'll get CG Leia

Leia: "hope :haw:"

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

In any case, I figure Bail's already as pretty "in" as you can get. I mean he literally helped Yoda and Kenobi fugitive their way off Coruscant.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

chitoryu12 posted:

Since Gilroy could refer to the Ghorman Massacre offhand so fast, I’m guessing we’re going to see it.

It'd come in the 2nd or 3rd block of 3 episodes in season 2, prolly end up a pretty big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mon mothma turns to Luthen: have you heard of senator plagueis the wise