Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also I don't know if there is proper long distance communication in Teyvat. I don't think we've seen an example of that so maybe Nahida is just replacing the logs so Katheryne doesn't know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Excelzior posted:

Scaramouche went rogue and is trying to seize the Gnosis of Wisdom to ascend to godhood; that's not part of the Tsaritsa's plans
Yeah, but Dottore is in on it, so either he also went rogue or Scaramouche is back in the fold. Either way, the Fatui can't not know about this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Incoherence posted:

Yeah, but Dottore is in on it, so either he also went rogue or Scaramouche is back in the fold. Either way, the Fatui can't not know about this.

Dottore has split himself in multiple parts. It's possible he doesn't even know what all of his fragments are doing.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Teyvat has its own "laws"

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Eimi posted:

Also I don't know if there is proper long distance communication in Teyvat. I don't think we've seen an example of that so maybe Nahida is just replacing the logs so Katheryne doesn't know?
Until someone from Fontaine invents the telegraph, the only way to quickly send a message long distances is to hire the Traveller to teleport there to deliver it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Eimi posted:

Klee's Mom made a fancy magical cell phone for the MC during the golden apple archipelago event in July. You called Venti a few times and even got the line hijacked by Nahida once.
It's safe to say though that nobody besides Alice has their hands on anything like that though. It was presented as something weird and unfamiliar.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I don't think they are necessarily after Nahida's Gnosis for the God Project. Scaramouche has Raiden's in his possession and instead of going straight back home he's colluding with Dottore for some good 'ol blasphemy..

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Harrow posted:

So far my takeaway from the Weinlesefest events is that even though I think this game can often be far too wordy and find myself mashing through dialogue, I'm pretty much always happy to hang out and listen to Fischl or Klee talk. They're both just so entertainingly nuts that I can't help but love them the most.

They are great. Honestly this whole event has been great for character moments, like Diluc guilting Kaeya into staying over for dinner so their maid is happy or Fischl and Mona being gal pals.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
Let's all go Fish Blasting!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

After my early burst of good luck that got me two 5-stars not long after I started playing, I'm coming up on my first standard banner pity window soon.

I'm looking forward to my Qiqi C2 already.
Update: it was Mona. Praise be to the Gacha Archon, for she hath granted me mercy and succour this day.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't think they are necessarily after Nahida's Gnosis for the God Project. Scaramouche has Raiden's in his possession and instead of going straight back home he's colluding with Dottore for some good 'ol blasphemy..

For all intents and purposes Dottore already has Nahida’s Gnosis (which is powering the Akasha), and is doing mass mind control experiments just because he can. Presumedly the end of the Sumeru arc will be him taking both gnosises, taking Nahida’s when Mecha-Scarmouche murders the sages and ripping Ei’s out of Scarmouche’s after we beat him.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I'm kind of lost with character unlocking, I've just got to the first chance to do a story quest (Klee) and went through the whole thing and I was kind of expecting it to unlock Klee at the end of it but it didn't... And just now scrolling to make sure I'm not seeing her somewhere I have Candace unlocked instead...

Have I got the way this works completely backwards somehow?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

It's a gacha game, you unlock characters by rolling for them on the gacha (and Klee is a limited character not in the current banner so you can't actually get her now) There are some characters you're guaranteed to get, but only a few of them.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Isomermaid posted:

I'm kind of lost with character unlocking, I've just got to the first chance to do a story quest (Klee) and went through the whole thing and I was kind of expecting it to unlock Klee at the end of it but it didn't... And just now scrolling to make sure I'm not seeing her somewhere I have Candace unlocked instead...

You get characters almost always through gatcha, in story quests there is always an opportunity to try out that particular character, but to unlock them permanently you have to roll them in the gatcha

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Oh, ok. Yeah, I have like 12 things unlocked through the wishes, I guess I misunderstood the story quests part of it, I figured they were kind of a "if you haven't got this one by now, do this quest to get it" kinda deal.

Ok, gonna keep rolling then. Didn't especially want Klee luckily so it's no biggy

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

mikemil828 posted:

For all intents and purposes Dottore already has Nahida’s Gnosis (which is powering the Akasha), and is doing mass mind control experiments just because he can. Presumedly the end of the Sumeru arc will be him taking both gnosises, taking Nahida’s when Mecha-Scarmouche murders the sages and ripping Ei’s out of Scarmouche’s after we beat him.

Honestly, the mind control stuff has me real suspicious. That, combined with the implications from the failed mirage experiments in the 2.8 event lead to me think either Dottore specifically or the Fatui in general have one of their big goals be using Irminsul to mass mind control all of humanity. No need for all this political skullduggery when you can just brainwash all the humans on the continent to be your willing cannon fodder in your war on Celestia.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Isomermaid posted:

Oh, ok. Yeah, I have like 12 things unlocked through the wishes, I guess I misunderstood the story quests part of it, I figured they were kind of a "if you haven't got this one by now, do this quest to get it" kinda deal.

Ok, gonna keep rolling then. Didn't especially want Klee luckily so it's no biggy

yeah the story quests are there to sell the characters on you in hopes of you spending money lol
despite the fact that 99% of the story-quest characters are not currently available cus they're all from time limited banners

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only free characters are the Traveller, Amber, Kaeya, Lisa, Barbara, Xiangliang, and Collei. Everyone else must be wished for.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hey is anybody's else's Golden House um....different since the reset?

specifically, in my world..it's *gone*. entirely. The Millileth patrol mid-air.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 4, 2022

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Isomermaid posted:

If this game didn't have a gacha business model, that would be a really good way to handle unlocks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hellioning posted:

The only free characters are the Traveller, Amber, Kaeya, Lisa, Barbara, Xiangliang, and Collei. Everyone else must be wished for.

There are free 4* characters from events once every 2 patches too. Currently we have a free-weapon event in patch 3.1 so 3.2 will probably give away a free character.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hellioning posted:

As an addition, while these are the only permanent free characters, there are regularly free 4-star characters from events. Patches tend to alternate between a free 4-star weapon and a free 4-star character.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So the furthest west teleport point in the desert, above the big cavern in the ground has an upward wind that leads to invisible path in the sky. Does anyone know what this path leads to? I keep falling off :(

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So the furthest west teleport point in the desert, above the big cavern in the ground has an upward wind that leads to invisible path in the sky. Does anyone know what this path leads to? I keep falling off :(

it leads to a hidden Luxurious Chest in the sky east-northeast of the waypoint

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
How would one go about building Candance for a Hyperbloom team? Say, Candance-Kuki-DMC-Collei or something. Based on my understanding on Hyperbloom, its damage would depend on Kuki's EM, so even though the other three are popping Bloom a lot their stats don't actually matter? And Candance uses HP scaling on her attacks, so Millilith set? What weapon? Just Favnious for more Q uptime?

And/or should I just ignore her and get Kuki to 90 since her damage is irrelevant compared to bigger Hyperblooms?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 4, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Apparently the devs for Genshin have officially stated they have no interest in putting any kind of harder content into the game past what we already have (i.e. "endgame" will remain to be Abyss), and their main focus is exploration, new experiences, and new events, etc. This is apparently pissing a lot of people off? :psyduck: I don't actually see the issue, like, if the game's fun who cares about whether they keep putting harder and harder content or not? If they were to keep trying to add endgame stuff regularly it'd just turn off new players who already have so loving much to process/learn as it is.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the hyperbloom damage depends on kuki but the 3 other characters still exist and do plenty of non-reaction damage.
so yeah you just want to build them for maximum non-EM-based damage. or in candace's case buff strength, which scales from HP

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Mix. posted:

Apparently the devs for Genshin have officially stated they have no interest in putting any kind of harder content into the game past what we already have (i.e. "endgame" will remain to be Abyss), and their main focus is exploration, new experiences, and new events, etc. This is apparently pissing a lot of people off? :psyduck: I don't actually see the issue, like, if the game's fun who cares about whether they keep putting harder and harder content or not? If they were to keep trying to add endgame stuff regularly it'd just turn off new players who already have so loving much to process/learn as it is.

Yeah, games like Warframe are a good example of what happens when you combine live model Content Accretion Syndrome with hardcore-focused content. That game was basically impenetrable to me as a new player and I dumped it hard after the first couple of planets.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mix. posted:

From what I saw in the Reddit thread, it isn't even necessarily about difficulty but rather that people just want some kind of permanent "endgame" other than Spiral Abyss. People tend to cite the roguelike dungeon events and things like that as something they'd like to see be permanent--not necessarily for the purpose of having something super hardcore and difficult, but just having more scenarios where you can take fun teams for a spin where enemies won't just vaporize before you even finish a full rotation.

I think it mostly just comes down to a combination of two things:
- People find the Abyss kinda boring
- People like being able to take their powerful characters and teams and fight things that can push back

I can understand being disappointed but I also stopped hoping for/expecting anything like that a while ago. It's been two years. If they were going to add more permanent endgame-level content, they'd have done it by now.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Abyss is a tedious slog with the intent to make you want to pay money to get better characters and artifacts so I am absolutely not surprised that mhy has no intent to even attempt any kind of alternative.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As a side note, I sorta suspect that the reason they haven't tried to add anything more in-depth than the Spiral Abyss is that, when it comes down to it, Genshin Impact's actual combat isn't really all that deep. There's depth in character and team building, but when it comes to actual execution, it's mostly just about stringing together elemental skills and bursts. There's not much in the way of technical action combat going on and it's possible that adding longer, more in-depth challenging content would just boil down to being about Big Numbers in a way people would also find kind of unsatisfying.

To put it another way: while there's a lot of room for player expression in team building, there's not as much in the actual moment-to-moment combat.

Meanwhile another team at Mihoyo is developing Zenless Zone Zero, which looks like it's much more focused on combat specifically, while Genshin dedicates itself almost entirely to story- and exploration-focused content because that's what it's built for at its core.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tree Reformat posted:

Yeah, games like Warframe are a good example of what happens when you combine live model Content Accretion Syndrome with hardcore-focused content. That game was basically impenetrable to me as a new player and I dumped it hard after the first couple of planets.

warframe isn't really hardcore focused in terms of difficulty. it is very grindy though.
at endgame 99% of stuff you do is super easy backflipping through rooms oneshotting everything with a meta weapon of choice. spiral abyss is more difficult than that stuff by far.
then again i guess steel path exists now? I stopped playing shortly afterwards so idk how it really goes

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

we're already at the point where people are accusing genshin of "just being a quick cash grab because HYV only cares about honkai actually, because they get an endgame" and im just sitting here like :psyduck: are we looking at the same games

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The practical upshot of this is that Genshin is very likely to remain a game where you never actually need to pull powerful characters to complete the content that the developers actually give a poo poo if you do. As long as you can resist the FOMO of not having most of the characters you can do the whole game F2P and very likely never run into a wall.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
All I want is for them to stop giving their bosses invincible phases. If the players can kill them in a single rotation or less, that's a good thing. Congrats player.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Mix. posted:

we're already at the point where people are accusing genshin of "just being a quick cash grab because HYV only cares about honkai actually, because they get an endgame" and im just sitting here like :psyduck: are we looking at the same games

This is pretty warped logic, but pretty much "the developer isn't doing things I care about" = "the developer doesn't care about the game and is just cashing in." I think a lot of these people got invested in Genshin pretty early on and wanted to stick with it but the game didn't really focus on what they care about, and would have been infinitely happier just going to play Honkai 2 years ago.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There's still a difficulty ramp, next abyss is highest HP pool ever. It's just one that's not tuned for people who've logged in daily for the last two years (because that is <3% of the player base).

I like the abyss a lot btw, really enjoy it and replay it regularly after full starring. Combat is super fun in this game.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I'd still like a new/permanent Labyrinth Warriors though.

And bring back Shiki Taishou :getin:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing I've noticed is that Hoyo's very successfully avoided serious power creep in Genshin. There are a bunch of reasons for that, of course. The pace of character releases is slower than gacha games where characters are just images and/or lightly-animated sprites (by necessity, since a lot more work goes into modeling and animating Genshin characters), so that would necessarily slow the rate of power creep. But the other thing is that Genshin doesn't really need to sell its characters based on power. It helps, of course, but lots of people will also spend money for a character just based on their appeal (this can be fun factor, attractiveness, how cool they are, how likeable they are, any combination thereof).

I'm sure there's also been a conscious effort to avoid creating a situation where newer characters routinely obsolete old ones, but I have to imagine the above factors contribute, too. And obviously there are characters who are more effective than others, but it hasn't really been a straight line, and there definitely isn't a regular occurrence of newer characters outclassing older ones. (In fact with 4-stars it's often the opposite, but that's a different conversation.)

Out of curiosity, what's the power creep situation like in Honkai Impact? I'm wondering if it's just something Mihoyo is especially good at managing or if that's a unique thing for Genshin, especially because I'm interested in Zenless Zone Zero and that looks structurally more similar to something like Honkai than Genshin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Harrow posted:

As a side note, I sorta suspect that the reason they haven't tried to add anything more in-depth than the Spiral Abyss is that, when it comes down to it, Genshin Impact's actual combat isn't really all that deep. There's depth in character and team building, but when it comes to actual execution, it's mostly just about stringing together elemental skills and bursts. There's not much in the way of technical action combat going on and it's possible that adding longer, more in-depth challenging content would just boil down to being about Big Numbers in a way people would also find kind of unsatisfying.

To put it another way: while there's a lot of room for player expression in team building, there's not as much in the actual moment-to-moment combat.

Meanwhile another team at Mihoyo is developing Zenless Zone Zero, which looks like it's much more focused on combat specifically, while Genshin dedicates itself almost entirely to story- and exploration-focused content because that's what it's built for at its core.

I don't think the combat system is inherently limited to what's possible now. Many of the recent characters have been a pretty significant step up mechanically/fluidly, and there's one coming up that does damage by taking pictures. The issue is that a lot of the old characters do feel outdated, and bringing in more advanced encounters would need to accommodate them.

Like, there's a grand total of one character who does a significant amount of damage through plunge attacks, and they've barely revisited that space. Every character has access to one for the most part (RIP Tartaglia), but there are few who enable it, and none do it well. We've seen various types of jump pads in the open world now, but never in domains. Maybe they'd need to improve aerial controls, but there's a lot of design space to explore there, for one example.