Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I heard about this New Player Experience for ppl who haven't played OW1. Can you detail that in the OP op? It seemed really bad but I've never played OW1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Barreft posted:

I heard about this New Player Experience for ppl who haven't played OW1. Can you detail that in the OP op? It seemed really bad but I've never played OW1

quote:

First time user experience

The First Time User Experience (FTUE) is an introduction to Overwatch 2 specifically designed for brand-new players who make their account post-launch.

We want FTUE to welcome players more gradually to Overwatch 2, as we’ve seen consistent feedback from new players feeling overwhelmed by numerous game modes and heroes. New players begin with access to a limited set of game modes, heroes, and some other restrictions to onboard them more gradually. The first phase of our new FTUE rapidly unlocks all the game modes and the ability to chat in-game, and the second phase unlocks all the original Overwatch heroes over the course of approximately 100 matches. This focused experience eases new players into the world of Overwatch by teaching them about different modes, rules, and other high-level aspects of the game in an approachable way.

Most FTUE restrictions are lifted while in a group, so new players can team up with their friends at any time to play almost any game modes. Competitive is the exception to this rule because new players must complete a specific challenge to access this game mode.

Requirements to enter Competitive mode are changing with Overwatch 2. We are removing player levels in-game, so instead of having to reach a certain level, new players are now challenged to win 50 Quick Play matches before Competitive unlocks. This gives new players time to prepare for the higher expectations that come with Competitive, while long-term players don’t feel discouraged by teammates who have less experience. In the process of unlocking Competitive, we analyze new player skill levels to optimize matchmaking in a way that feels good to everyone.

While this process helps new players join the fun, it’s also an effective way to discourage disruptive behavior and cheating. FTUE is an investment to complete because it takes time to unlock game features— Competitive, specifically, cannot be accessed without winning matches. Disruptive players are unable to immediately affect the larger community, with things like voice chat and match chat unlocking later in FTUE. Brand-new accounts made by cheaters or disruptive players will all have to play through this experience, giving us the chance to identify suspicious accounts before they enter other game modes.

FTUE was designed to make Overwatch 2 a welcoming, approachable, and fun game for everyone who chooses to play. This experience only affects accounts made on or after the October 4 release date: anyone who played prior, as well as Watchpoint Pack owners, will not have to play through the First Time User Experience.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23857517/defense-matrix-activated-fortifying-gameplay-integrity-and-positivity-in-overwatch-2/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Barreft posted:

New players playing solo (e.g. when not grouped up with their friends that already play), you initially have a limited hero pool and limited game modes. As you play you unlock more heroes and all of the modes. You'll also initially only be matched up against other new players for the most part (OW1 was also like this for the first X levels or games). It might not be too bad, as playing with the full roster when first starting can be a bit overwhelming due to how many different abilities and callouts you need to learn, and also just having too many heroes to choose from, some of which are significantly less straight forward in terms of learning how to make an impact. I've experienced this when hopping into a MOBA before with tons and tons of heroes and probably would've appreciated an experience more like what OW is going with. OW still doesn't have quite the roster that many MOBAs have, but it's getting there.

My main complaint with what I've round about OW's NPE is that it doesn't seem like you have any control over which heroes you unlock as you go (i.e. the order is pre-set), which combined with taking ~100 games to unlock everything would be incredibly frustrating if one of the heroes you really wanted to play isn't unlocked until game 90 or whatever. Also, in general I think it might work better with a 50 or 75 game unlock path rather than 100 game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So when do they expect to actually implement Mann vs Machine. Wasn't the PvE mode half the selling point of OW2?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

That sounds terrible.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Zedd posted:

So when do they expect to actually implement Mann vs Machine. Wasn't the PvE mode half the selling point of OW2?

Nobody knows and yes.

Barreft posted:

That sounds terrible.

Also yes.

If anyone wants a co-op PvE game just get Deep Rock Galactic it's the best thing

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Deep Rock is good. But more good group PvE games is also good. More Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Seagull made a 10min deep dive video into OW2's imminent release that gives some good perspective. His opinion is the only one I really care about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETD7QT6TcU

As much as I share similar sentiments of disappointment expressed in Seagull's essay, and for however long I've been banging the "more OW PvE pls" drum for years only to have been given more PvP poo poo for the "sequel" lol, I'm still excited for the release. There's really no other game that can scratch the same itch that OW does for me.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 4, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

imagine dungeons posted:

Deep Rock is good. But more good group PvE games is also good. More Mass Effect 3 multiplayer.

I never got into Vermintide so maybe this is silly of me and I should know better, but I am hopeful for Darktide being a fun more purely combat-focused diversion from DRG.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

so i've never played before. OW2 is f2p. can I join as a newb and have people run me through matches so I get the heroes faster then spending months losing every match?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i basically completely agree with Seagull's video, and also the video description which is like "it's really disappointing but the game is fun so i'll log in every day anyway"

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Countblanc posted:

i basically completely agree with Seagull's video, and also the video description which is like "it's really disappointing but the game is fun so i'll log in every day anyway"

I'm assuming whoever that is, is getting paid to 'create content'?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont know

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I got good and bad news today.

The good news is I have the day off tomorrow to play overwatch 2.

The bad news is I have infinity days off to play overwatch 2 until further notice.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Barreft posted:

I'm assuming whoever that is, is getting paid to 'create content'?

He used to be a big Overwatch content creator and professional player, now he does variety for a fraction of the stress

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Ignis posted:

He used to be a big Overwatch content creator and professional player, now he does variety for a fraction of the stress

Variety means bigger audience, more money. He's smart to get away since this game won't survive a year.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Barreft posted:

so i've never played before. OW2 is f2p. can I join as a newb and have people run me through matches so I get the heroes faster then spending months losing every match?

Grouping probably isn't going to get you through the newb progression any faster than just playing yourself. You're also still going to be winning a decent amount even as a newb. When solo you'll be getting matched against other new players, and the match making in general will adjust to give you games you can and will win. But if a hero you want to play is locked, I think if you group you'll be able to pick that character while grouped.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

The curated new player experience will feel bad if you're not one of the people living life on the wrong side of the bell curve that they've had to accommodate with the change, but you won't be losing games because of it since you'll be getting matched up with similarly new players and/or extremely bad old ones.

Now there's a question I haven't seen answered, are we rolling into OW2 with the same hidden MMR or is everyone starting fresh? I assume it at least partially carries over

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Wheeee posted:

The curated new player experience will feel bad if you're not one of the people living life on the wrong side of the bell curve that they've had to accommodate with the change, but you won't be losing games because of it since you'll be getting matched up with similarly new players and/or extremely bad old ones.

Now there's a question I haven't seen answered, are we rolling into OW2 with the same hidden MMR or is everyone starting fresh? I assume it at least partially carries over

quote:

All players that were ranked in Competitive prior to Overwatch 2 will have their rank modified post-launch. Overwatch 2 is a very different game, so we applied a formula that gives returning players an opportunity to redefine their rank when they dive into updated Competitive. Most players will find their rank is slightly lower when they start out, as they will be learning new concepts and metas. However, players who got to learn more about the game in our betas, or who follow the Overwatch League, may find themselves ranked higher than ever

I'd guess about the same MMR (with decay applied) but with the uncertainty cranked up. Soft MMR reset, as the kids call it.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Wheeee posted:

I never got into Vermintide so maybe this is silly of me and I should know better, but I am hopeful for Darktide being a fun more purely combat-focused diversion from DRG.

I am also looking forward to Darktide. I sank about 90hrs into Vermintide 2.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Barreft posted:

grouping in ow1 gains you an exp boost so I'd assumed it would in ow2 as well

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I haven't played Overwatch 1 since GOATs ruled the world. Do I still get the founders pack thingy or did I have to log in before the servers went offline? The wording is really confusing.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

blossommirage posted:

I haven't played Overwatch 1 since GOATs ruled the world. Do I still get the founders pack thingy or did I have to log in before the servers went offline? The wording is really confusing.

"To redeem the Founder's Pack, players need to log into the live game by December 5 2022 at 11:59 p.m. PDT or 2:59 a.m EST."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

blossommirage posted:

You just 1) need to have owned the game before June 23, 2022 and 2) log into OW2 before the first battle pass season ends (which lasts 9 weeks) to claim the founder's pack poo poo.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Thanks, for some reason I thought that meant logging into Overwatch 1.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Do OW1 bans carry over to OW2? A friend of mine got banned for using the victory phrase ‘eat poo poo’ one too many times

Opioid fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Oct 4, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Barreft posted:

Overwatch matchmaking is pretty good at getting you into games with people with similar skill level and your win rate hovers around 50%.
Only exception to this is if you're literally bottom/top 5% player and game has a hard time to find other players of your skill level.

Grouping up shouldn't matter much for unlocking the newbie stuff, but It gives you xp boost toward battle pass.
That was +20% on Overwatch 1 and is likely to be same in Overwatch 2, but not confirmed yet.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

imagine dungeons posted:

Anyone here still horny for Junkrat?

I am despite his combed hair.

Me! I'm a Junkrat main, Roadhog being a close second.

I love my Aussie junker boys. :allears:

E: Also I paid money for the Founder's Pack, but I only realized after the fact that I basically would have gotten the same bonuses for free without paying just by virtue of owning OW1. Whoops!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 4, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://twitter.com/cleartogether/status/1577004314798657536?s=21&t=3lnNL_0Q2Ofsq_reuf8_ow

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mood.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Any idea how to pre install this on an Xbox Series X? I seem stuck in a loop between a bundle and the main game in the menus.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Jables88 posted:

Any idea how to pre install this on an Xbox Series X? I seem stuck in a loop between a bundle and the main game in the menus.

You can't on Consoles.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

adhuin posted:

You can't on Consoles.

Ultimately this answer saves me the most time so thank you.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Wheeee posted:

op should have just been a link to this tbh

https://youtu.be/q7RMtDpxtfw

amazing

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So what I just download OW on my pc and then it turns into OW2 later today?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

verbal enema posted:

yeah just make sure it has that little message about pre-download being completed or whatever

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

verbal enema posted:

adhuin posted:

Check your launcher.
If it says "Pre-release content downloaded.", you should be ok
Otherwise click Options button next to Play button and "Check for Updates"

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also, make sure your settings don't place a bandwidth cap for pre-release downloads, it did for me and I downloaded about 10% of the game at 100kbps before I realized what the problem was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone who played in the beta speak to what it's like being the sole tank if you were previously the off tank? Say, RoadHog and Wrecking Ball?