Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Eh, that was always a marketing stunt and he's famously petty.

it may have been a marketing stunt but ukraine has been using the poo poo out of it. Most recenty setting up in town centers of newly liberated villages in Donbas so residents can call relatives over VOIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Starlink has been having bandwidth problems recently.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/09/ookla-starlinks-median-us-download-speed-fell-nearly-30mbps-in-q2-2022/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lum_ posted:

it may have been a marketing stunt but ukraine has been using the poo poo out of it. Most recenty setting up in town centers of newly liberated villages in Donbas so residents can call relatives over VOIP.

Yes but now Musk wants to play peacemaker to Ukraine's chagrin, and he has frequently wielded his powers with petty delight. Like cancelling people's Tesla's and disabling them for criticizing him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A.o.D. posted:

Elon wants nothing more than to be told what a smart and special boy he is. Complimenting his fertility and the girth of his penis will also score points with him.

He might be the one with the most fake money, but no one (important) takes him seriously so he MUST HAVE AN OPINION ON EVERYTHING.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

What's the over-under on a weapon test working as intended vs. a spectacular failure that will make Russia look weaker?

https://eurasiantimes.com/russia-to-test-nuclear-drone-from-its-gigantic-belgorod-submarine/

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol at pissing away so much goodwill in one afternoon, amazing

for reference, Ukraine's feelings towards him back in may:

https://twitter.com/MariupolRada/status/1521857190704857088?s=20&t=twc1ibEYr-ZMhBO5gowTVw

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1577006943499350016?t=Q7XMUIDwcbWIPHFADOsmdA&s=19

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ha! I knew their numbers were too good to be true. I love how the solution is to blanket the skies with more poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Well, yeah. Users in any particular area can only share the satellites visible overhead at the time, and areas with more users are going to be getting worse service than areas at the same latitude with fewer users. You manage this by making new customers wait until you have enough satellites to guarantee some level of service, but Starlink is probably finding out they can't carry the company on a customer base of 10 farmers and some van life YouTubers so they're pressured to open the floodgates.

There's still a long way to go from 60mbps to the iffy 1-2mbps service you'll get with providers like HughesNet.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 3, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Tmobile has 5g internet service for $50/mo.

Anyone in the US within range of 5g using a starlink is wasting their money.

Unless they want a cat warming dish.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Man I don't even get a whisper of 4g service with Tmobile at my house, god only knows when they'll ever deploy a 5g tower out here somewhere.

Not that I mind that my work phone might as well be in airplane mode when I'm at home, y'see.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The 5G my friend gets on his land out here in the SLV is faster than the transmitter based internet he pays for the home. And he's piggybacking on Tmobile with google fi.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

5g towers have a range of like 1000 feet or something ridiculously low so unless you live in a city or next to a major road then it's never gonna happen. Starlink is pretty cool for people who live in the middle of nowhere and can't get fixed wireless for whatever reason (too remote or too many obstacles like trees etc).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lum_ posted:

also this, he could probably literally buy Russia at this point

the both of us could buy russia at this point

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is it true there is a video going around of a drone dropping a grenade on two RU soldiers, where one is blowing the other until the grenade gets them both?

Sounds very urban myth to me but who knows these days.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

in a well actually posted:

He does have a history of overpaying for flawed acquisitions.

with squatting run amok at that

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Is it true there is a video going around of a drone dropping a grenade on two RU soldiers, where one is blowing the other until the grenade gets them both?

i mean I saw it and the blowee winked at me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah that poo poo don’t work in the mountains. Where I was checking out places in rural VA service was generally limited to 1mbps DSL or satellite. LTE/5g and point-to-point service was extremely rare even in towns that had ISPs.

davecrazy posted:

It’s real.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

my kinda ape posted:

5g towers have a range of like 1000 feet or something ridiculously low so unless you live in a city or next to a major road then it's never gonna happen. Starlink is pretty cool for people who live in the middle of nowhere and can't get fixed wireless for whatever reason (too remote or too many obstacles like trees etc).

Dude's 10 miles from town and around 5 miles from a proper tower, 2 miles from the nearest power pole.

Verizon runs iirc higher frequency that requires really close towers/transmitters, T-mobile uses a lower frequency that doesn't move data as fast but has better range.

There are 17k~ people in the SLV, the same area as Israel, and yet, we have 5g.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

davecrazy posted:

Yep.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Dude's 10 miles from town and around 5 miles from a proper tower, 2 miles from the nearest power pole.

Verizon runs iirc higher frequency that requires really close towers/transmitters, T-mobile uses a lower frequency that doesn't move data as fast but has better range.

That’s great, but if you don’t got it you don’t got it. You can be a quarter mile from someone with great 5g service and get nothing just from the geography and vegetation.

I ended up finding a place in the cut that gets 1.2gbps cable so it’s not all bad. I’d rather be up in the mountains, though, and if Starlink had been around a couple years ago I would be.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 3, 2022

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's more like 4G+ than 5G but the companies get to just randomly name poo poo whatever they want. Honestly 4G is decently fast if you have a good signal. Getting throttled by my cell provider was always the big issue whenever I tried tethering a computer to my phone though.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I was gonna say, I live in a populous suburb of Portland and cringe when I see that 5G symbol on my phone, but Verizon being Verizon explains it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

As has already been mentioned, parts of WV with not unsubstantial population barely have cell coverage. Satellite is basically their only option.

The biggest challenge isn't even the cell towers, but running the fiber to connect them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

my kinda ape posted:

That's more like 4G+ than 5G but the companies get to just randomly name poo poo whatever they want. Honestly 4G is decently fast if you have a good signal. Getting throttled by my cell provider was always the big issue whenever I tried tethering a computer to my phone though.

Tmobile specifically sells this as 5g internet service, not phone service for tethering. But yeah, it's basically just 4g+, but still faster than local transmitter service that far from a water tower with dishes on top of it.

I realize 5g is more line of sight than prior, but it's somehow out here in the middle of nowhere while people closer to real cities have bigger reception problems. Does work well on the valley floor, though.

highme posted:

I was gonna say, I live in a populous suburb of Portland and cringe when I see that 5G symbol on my phone, but Verizon being Verizon explains it.

Verizon being Verizon is what will eventually kill Verizon. But higher frequency shortwave is faster than T-mobile's offering.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 3, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tmobile specifically sells this as 5g internet service, not phone service for tethering. But yeah, it's basically just 4g+, but still faster than local transmitter service that far from a water tower with dishes on top of it.

I realize 5g is more line of sight than prior, but it's somehow out here in the middle of nowhere while people closer to real cities have bigger reception problems. Does work well on the valley floor, though.

Verizon being Verizon is what will eventually kill Verizon. But higher frequency shortwave is faster than T-mobile's offering.

If you already had good cell coverage before then they probably just slapped them on the existing towers in your area. Point being the infrastructure was already in place.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

davecrazy posted:

This reminds me about that goon's story about a convoy halt that ended with the convoy commander ordering a jdam on 2 afghani farmers blowing each other in a culvert

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m getting chills being made to remember how I was desperately contacting microwave ISP dudes to see if they could set up a transmitter for me

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The 1000 ft range is for the gigabit high frequency 5G that’s only deployed for marketing purposes. Regular 5G is just Better 4G. ATT has rural fixed 4G wireless for $70 with like 25 mbit/s (350G/mo cap.) Not as fast as unloaded Starlink, but better than most rural options.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The one that supports 6 feet of dirt.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I saw the BJ video and yeah it's legit, it's two dudes in the ruins of a building. Reminds me of the sex scene from Enemy at the Gates due to the conditions.

Jimmy Smuts fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 4, 2022

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m getting chills being made to remember how I was desperately contacting microwave ISP dudes to see if they could set up a transmitter for me

I ended up rolling my own mini WISP by connecting 2.5 miles away to a friend's family business. If you can get line of sight to somewhere with a decent connection then it's not too hard to set up yourself. Happy to give advice if anyone is ever interested in setting up their own Iong range fixed wireless.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

My Spirit Otter posted:

This reminds me about that goon's story about a convoy halt that ended with the convoy commander ordering a jdam on 2 afghani farmers blowing each other in a culvert

wow, I completely forgot about that story.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I had T-Mobile's 5G home internet service, and it was great right up to the point they decided to randomly drop my downstream to 1K/sec during peak load times when they got oversold. Caveat emptor, etc.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

wow, I completely forgot about that story.

I forget who the op was. I think it was that marine with the hard gay av whos name i forget.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

davecrazy posted:

Having not seen the video and having no context for it, it kind of makes me sad knowing that those dudes were probably more free to be gay in combat in Ukraine than they were in Russia, which is notoriously anti-gay.

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I saw the BJ video and yeah it's legit, it's two dudes in the ruins of a building. Reminds me of the sex scene from Enemy at the Gates due to the conditions.

I have to solely focus on my eternal crush on late-90s Rachel Weisz during that scene because the realist in me can only think about how they both likely ended up with horrific UTIs after bumping uglies after weeks of combat in Stalingrad with dubious access to bathing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I have to solely focus on my eternal crush on late-90s Rachel Weisz during that scene because the realist in me can only think about how they both likely ended up with horrific UTIs after bumping uglies after weeks of combat in Stalingrad with dubious access to bathing.

I remember people saying that scene was very improbable considering the close proximity to others, but from what I have heard snipers are pros at silently penetrating difficult terrain.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Blistex posted:

I remember people saying that scene was very improbable considering the close proximity to others, but from what I have heard snipers are pros at silently penetrating difficult terrain.

"Life...uhhh...finds a way."

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

One time on a major field ex we were sleeping 2 arty gun dets to a mod tent on cots.

One guy thought 1 am was the perfect time to jerk off in his cot. Someone yelled at him to take it to the shitter.

My point being, i 100% believe two people who were hot and risking their lives daily hosed in close proximity to others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Blistex posted:

lol maybe for prudes but I recall being a horny teenager with more drive than sense