Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My life has improved immeasurably since I discovered that you can just use the seatruck afterburner to easily and quickly just kill a cryptosuchus while on your way somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I couldn't believe that there was a swivel chair in Subnautica that you couldn't swivel.

And there's a chair in No Man's Sky that only swivels; you can't sit in it.

:thunk:

This is what the entire modding scene was created for.

The mod.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can I just build a nuke reactor as just a bigass battery even if I'm not using it to generate or putting fuel in it?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
No; each power source's battery is exclusive to its own power generation.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I didn't bother with nuke power in Subnautica, heating vents were located near some good sites. But my BZ main base (centrally located) didn't, and I found a ton of uranium, so I went with nukes. I figured I could just keep refueling throughout the game.

I never needed to change a single fuel rod. Seemed like easy mode.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Nuke power is great, but the reactor makes an annoying sound. It really bothered me, like an unreasonable amount for some reason. If/when I playthrough again I'll probably put it a decent amount of distance away from the main base rooms.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Xik posted:

Nuke power is great, but the reactor makes an annoying sound. It really bothered me, like an unreasonable amount for some reason. If/when I playthrough again I'll probably put it a decent amount of distance away from the main base rooms.

or

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnauticabelowzero/mods/282

Mutes the nuclear reactor's background noise.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Nuclear power is generally overkill, maybe put one reactor in your main base and never have to worry about energy again. For small scanning outposts too deep to receive solar power you can just use a bioreactor with some bulbo trees planted next to it, they'll grow even if the environment has no oxygen or light.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Xik posted:

I'll probably put it a decent amount of distance away from the main base rooms.

This is what I did, it made the noise actually a nice effect when you walk down the corridor to the power plant and the hum grows as you approach. Would be insane to hear it throughout the base though, for sure.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
For anyone playing modded BZ.
The more quickslots mod was the one preventing me from deploying items.
Which eventually prevented me from progressing the game.
Some mods have been updated, and most others work fine.

A list of working/broken/updated mods here

https://snm.crd.co/#modlist-bz

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeez, Spicy Fruit Salad is just the devs going 'screw it, you win, no more survival', isn't it. One preston's plant and one spicy chilli plant and you're set forever.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea I dunno, maybe they got a lot of negative feedback on the survival stuff and decided to give you a lot of gimmies? I know that most of us where spoilered from our experience in the first game and so knew what to look out for, but to me it felt very preemptive how fast they gave you everything on that central island.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

You need to grow, I think, 2 plants and only two plants to have it made in the shade in BZ. That was similar to the OG experience, but BZ seems to up the benefits of those.

Anyway, I wanna build a base at the bottom of the twisty bridges. I wish it connected to other deep biomes.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
By that part of the game the hunger mechanics felt like they were hampering the experience for me instead of improving it. I had long since solved food scarcity, and not having it just meant I had to drive home to get food more frequently and break up exploration. Or as would have been more likely I'd just make another base nearby with some basic food to eat.

Of course everyone's experiences are different. Hopefully if you don't like that you can customise your experience to match your expectations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

In BZ, all you have to do is grow one indoor thing of Ice Peppers and food, water, and heat are forever taken care of.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Look at all of you spoiling your characters with fresh fruit. My guy survived on potato chips and coffee. Purified water and nutrient bars scavenged from the bodies of our former shipmates were a rare luxury.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not sure the cold was ever a problem. It's a little scary at the very beginning of the game, but then there's a nice little path of heat plants, and the central island has its own path of heat plants and the big landmass with the bridge and all the science stations has so many pepper plants and whatnot just growing wild you can get pretty far on those. Maybe it's a bit hard to get to the snow plains, but you're supposed to use the Snowfox for that anyways, and that's more heat. It's just another metric that'll slowly tick down in the background and spook you a little in an existential sense, but it won't really endanger you. Kinda makes it questionable why they centered the game around that as a concept.

They also give you a lot more help to get around running out of air underwater with all those oxygen plants that form paths for the player, although you can still die if you get lulled into too much security. It's like they were really disturbed by how many people found the first game so scary just from the inherent horror of the abyss and existential terror of drowning and backpedaled way too hard. They could've done that better just by directly telling the player you can carry an extra tank of air, or putting some air tubes in ruins to help guide you in the use of those if they're supposed to be useful at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's amazing to me how the water in BZ wasn't causing your character to go into hypothermia, but we're also dealing with logic that allows you to dive almost 2km below sea level, repeatedly, with no ill effects not caused by violent fauna, and also doesn't have your skin just fall off after weeks and weeks of constant water contact, so :shrug:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kinda makes it questionable why they centered the game around that as a concept.

It sorta makes sense as a dual to O2 running out underwater, at a zoomed out 10,000ft view of the mechanics.

I think it suffers from the map design, there's nothing terribly interesting on a giant flat snow plain with no 3rd dimension. And by the time you're dealing with it, the player's too good at dealing with environmental problems, or the peppers are too powerful? It's not really novel enough to require a different class of solution.

I never got enough fragments to build the snowfox, so "random fragments that may not spawn in enough volume to ever craft the new stuff" is way up my list of frustrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

It's amazing to me how the water in BZ wasn't causing your character to go into hypothermia, but we're also dealing with logic that allows you to dive almost 2km below sea level, repeatedly, with no ill effects not caused by violent fauna, and also doesn't have your skin just fall off after weeks and weeks of constant water contact, so :shrug:

You could handwave it trivially by saying that Altera are cheap bastards and your self heating wetsuit shuts off when you're out of the water because it saves them like $4 per month per employee in energy.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They also give you a lot more help to get around running out of air underwater with all those oxygen plants that form paths for the player, although you can still die if you get lulled into too much security. It's like they were really disturbed by how many people found the first game so scary just from the inherent horror of the abyss and existential terror of drowning and backpedaled way too hard. They could've done that better just by directly telling the player you can carry an extra tank of air, or putting some air tubes in ruins to help guide you in the use of those if they're supposed to be useful at all.

I actually really like the oxygen plants because they let freediving be a much bigger part of the game. as opposed to something you did for 15 minutes in the first game and then never again. Maybe the quantity could be dialed back a bit but I like having them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be honest, the oxygen plants and thermal plants kinda knocked me out of things with how... obviously gamey they were.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MikeJF posted:

To be honest, the oxygen plants and thermal plants kinda knocked me out of things with how... obviously gamey they were.

Yeah, both of them were like "Ok, how can we make this area 'Professional Videogame Reviewer'-tier easy"? The entire above ground area would have been way more engaging if you landed at the dock, got out, froze for a bit, found a PDA that teaches you how to make disposable suit heaters out of lithium and sulfur, and now had to juggle something slightly harder than 'run back to the heatlamp flower'.

I just really wish they finally got the original subnautica moved to the new engine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The seatruck dock really needs a button that just launches the cab solo straight out of the side bubble it turns into, as well as the regular 'backing out with all the trucks' option. Have that, and add a small amount of storage to the seatruck cab, and you could have it set up so solo-launch is your seamoth while truck-launch is your cyclops, and you don't have to fiddle around all the time and can use either mode instantly.

(Well, in an ideal world the seatruck dock would let you rearrange and pick configurations, but that would be more work and really hard to animate)

Hah, wow I'm strong.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I just really wish they finally got the original subnautica moved to the new engine.

The seatruck dock was Below Zero 2.0, their plans after that are to take Subnautica original to 2.0 and insert all the new stuff, apparently.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 4, 2022

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Would love a Large Room with a glass ceiling in the Lava Lakes, that’d be my vacation spot

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Jabarto posted:

I actually really like the oxygen plants because they let freediving be a much bigger part of the game. as opposed to something you did for 15 minutes in the first game and then never again. Maybe the quantity could be dialed back a bit but I like having them.

This, I was able to dive from the crashed ship (forget the name) all the way to marges underground base and a little into the crystal caves. You also have to ditch your vehicle and free dive for the mining base and the crashed ship. You cant really free dive like this in the original game, the closest you come is exploring a wreck.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dyz posted:

This, I was able to dive from the crashed ship (forget the name) all the way to marges underground base and a little into the crystal caves. You also have to ditch your vehicle and free dive for the mining base and the crashed ship. You cant really free dive like this in the original game, the closest you come is exploring a wreck.

The brain coral in SN acted similarly to the oxygen plants, whatever they're called, in BZ. :shrug:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The brain coral in SN acted similarly to the oxygen plants, whatever they're called, in BZ. :shrug:

You could even pick them up with the grapple gun and cart them around 😂

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wait, what?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Icon Of Sin posted:

You could even pick them up with the grapple gun and cart them around 😂

WHAT

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Can’t find a video, but scroll down to “behavior” and they reference picking it up with the propulsion cannon.

https://subnautica.fandom.com/wiki/Brain_Coral

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Wait, what?

Brain coral spat out oxygen bubbles you could refill with.

They do it kind of slowly so you have to sit in the flow for a while to replenish rather than just tapping them, but you can use them that way.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Brain coral spat out oxygen bubbles you could refill with.

They do it kind of slowly so you have to sit in the flow for a while to replenish rather than just tapping them, but you can use them that way.

I think they were slow enough that you barely came out ahead, iirc.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

they spit out three bubbles at a time that fill up most to all of your oxygen, they are extremely useful

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

They were not nearly as common outside of the safe shallows. SNs way of getting you to free dive was generally "your depth module only goes to 200m, this wreck is 210m deep". BZs is "here follow this oxygen plant into this labyrinth of caves". Or "your vehicle wont fit".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dyz posted:

They were not nearly as common outside of the safe shallows. SNs way of getting you to free dive was generally "your depth module only goes to 200m, this wreck is 210m deep". BZs is "here follow this oxygen plant into this labyrinth of caves". Or "your vehicle wont fit".

Yeah, I know. And taking out the newness and novelty of playing SN for the first time (which of course was my first experience with this series), I enjoyed swimming around BZ moreso.

Especially when you get further down below the twisted bridges :swoon:

God, that biome is just The Best.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Exploring the deeps of Twisty Bridges while “A Continuous Thrum” played was definitely a highlight of the game. Couldn’t possibly capture the vibe of the game any better

Endless Trash fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 5, 2022

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Dyz posted:

You can get a vehicle into the mining base (minus some of the exterior paint) :getin:

I really like the airbladder in BZ too, I went back to the original game and couldn't believe what trash garbage the original airbladder was.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Pretty terrifying when you finally reach the bottom of twisty bridges and find out what's down there

it's nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the ways I used to deal with the fear of the abyss in Subnautica was just by hugging the seafloor in the seamoth, and so much of Below Zero makes that impossible. Twisty Bridges and the Geysers really force you to stay up above the mess if you're just passing by. Not many flat plains.

They were also subtle enough that I never really realized while I was playing.