Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sniper, Barbatos, and Exia are the main ones that really stand out to me as problems but are all reasonably fixable. Sniper and Barbatos need to just not one shot things (though they can still get close) and Exia should probably have a bit weaker primary fire and have some damage falloff with distance. Unicorn and Pale Rider could maybe get a slight tap down but are probably mostly fine. Turn A and Guntank are bad, imo. Guntank is really fun and has a pretty strong ult, but it's too simple and its damage and defense are too low for how exposed it has to be to do it. Turn A just doesn't do enough, and I can't think of when I'd ever want it over Gundam. Everyone else feels more or less fine with a reasonably unique playstyle, though I would like to see Mahiroo's beam have its max range removed. I like it being a high risk option, but it doesn't need the short range as well.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Guntank is the Winston is the game and is phenomenal for securing a disable with a strong AoE and the ability to burst down a single target as necessary.

It doesn’t need changes, it’s what’s going to win the game even if it won’t look spectacular while doing it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think barbatos is fine from a """balance""" perspective once the teams aren't exclusively filled with "someone who picked this game up last week" but it is definitely not a fun robot. Its stun should not also deal 700 damage that's loving dumb. If you see one coming you can kinda read when the swing is coming and just dash out right before, their dashes are short so it's hard for them to keep up with you. And their regular attack is pretty bad if you can bait out both their damage abilities. But "can be played around and countered" isn't the same as "fun" and barbatos is never fun to be on the other side of.

Imo if the stun only does like 200 damage + the sword only 600 it can have back its mobility and maybe even get some other benefits. Just, having a 1400 damage kill combo is stupid (sword's 700 damage right? Did not actually test myself so I can't remember too well). Make it a mobile bruiser who can kill enemy units quickly in close range, but don't make it a 1v1 autowin after the first blow that's just not an interesting scenario to experience.

I hate snipers and don't want to talk about the gm sniper too much because my true feelings are super biased, but even for a sniper a decent gm sniper can just dominate a battlefield and that sucks. I think all it needs is a reduced fire rate so misses are punished more harshly and it is actually hosed in close range if it misses its quickscope.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm generally not bothered by melee zaku's ultimate because the robot seems to kinda suck outside of that, much like the guntank

imo, melee zaku feels very skill dependant. Someone who's good at it, or invests their time in getting good with it can absolutely wreck shop. If you know map design well enough you can flank around, chop dudes up from behind and get away before you get blasted to bits. Time your survival to tank ults or other stupid poo poo and just rampage around. But if you're not so invested in it, you're going to have a bad time because unlike the other two melee units; he's big, slow, and chunky. Isn't evasive and relies on tanking rather than evading. And if you're fighting against a team that's even at least slightly learned not to shoot you when you glow blue, it's going to feel a lot less powerful. Especially since people who realize that one quickly realize they can just set up to gently caress you when the blue goes away.

chumbler posted:

Sniper, Barbatos, and Exia are the main ones that really stand out to me as problems but are all reasonably fixable. Sniper and Barbatos need to just not one shot things (though they can still get close) and Exia should probably have a bit weaker primary fire and have some damage falloff with distance. Unicorn and Pale Rider could maybe get a slight tap down but are probably mostly fine. Turn A and Guntank are bad, imo. Guntank is really fun and has a pretty strong ult, but it's too simple and its damage and defense are too low for how exposed it has to be to do it. Turn A just doesn't do enough, and I can't think of when I'd ever want it over Gundam. Everyone else feels more or less fine with a reasonably unique playstyle, though I would like to see Mahiroo's beam have its max range removed. I like it being a high risk option, but it doesn't need the short range as well.

imo, sniper still stands as mostly needing a rate of fire nerf, and maybe some bullshit to make it so it can't pop off instakills in melee range and poo poo because as it stands, the sidearm it has is 100% useless since most snipers seem to be just as good at pulling off perfect headshots from two feet away as they are pulling them off from two hundred. The ranged instakills still suck, but it wouldn't be so bad if it couldn't just blast them out like nothing else, or if a bad sniper actually had some risk to missing a shot so they couldn't just resort to two-shotting most people instead with body shots. Similarly I think the unicorn's armour should get a slightly longer cooldown, but that's about it. I have no idea how they'd fix pale rider, maybe make each shot slightly weaker? Because someone who can consistently nail headshots with that thing is an absolute monster.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Runa posted:

Suits I'd like to see:

G Gundam. All of the random country Gundams are very funny but no randos would use the power of insensitive national stereotypes for good.

Automatic slam pick for every player for the rest of the game's lifespan

(seriously though give us tequila gundam plz :pray:)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Kitfox88 posted:

add the acguy god dammit

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Give the melee zaku the ranged zaku's ult and ranged zaku a kick that knocks people over or something

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
More suits should use heat hawks, not less!!!

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Acguy would actually probably have a super fun kit.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I like this game, but between leavers with no-fill, and my own disconnects without the ability to log back in to the match (that for some loving reason always happen when I'm winning...), I can't see myself playing this over OW2 for my shooty shooty needs.

Hopefully the game keeps getting better. Moment to moment gameplay is pretty fun, and if they find a way to make games more stable and auto-filled in casual it would go a long way. Also maybe more and better maps.

I haven't been able to convince any friend to play because they find the art direction extremely boring, and I can't blame them. To be fair, none of us is into Gundam. I think it just wasn't that popular in south america, which is where we grew up. Are Gundam fans happy with how bland the maps and cosmetics are? I can kinda dig the toy robot cosmetics but the different shades of gray for everything else just works against the game, I feel.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I haven't been able to convince any friend to play because they find the art direction extremely boring, and I can't blame them. To be fair, none of us is into Gundam. I think it just wasn't that popular in south america, which is where we grew up. Are Gundam fans happy with how bland the maps and cosmetics are? I can kinda dig the toy robot cosmetics but the different shades of gray for everything else just works against the game, I feel.

there's been a lot in this game for gundam fans to love but it's in neither the maps nor the skins (icons and stamps have some good gundam fanservice in them, and the robot roster has generally been pretty fun for getting some iconic suits in there with plenty of weird left field picks)

the one skin for gundam fans, char's zaku (it is red and has a very easy to miss tiny spike on its forehead), costs a ridiculous amount of green currency and can not be bought with the paid currency. you must gamble until you have enough consolation tickets to buy it.

it sucks and i'm considering shelling out for it anyway because if i'm gonna be a sucker for exactly one thing it's gonna be getting in the edgy psychopath robot. i'm trying to reach the end of the battle pass to get all the "free" loot boxes so i have a better idea of exactly how much that will cost me before i make the call (also so i have a better gauge on if any kind of playerbase is sticking around)

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 4, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

some kind of jaburo jungle map could be fun. or, again, a map that is on top of the devil gundam.

idk there's not a ton of great "iconic gundam locations" that aren't just "a real life city" and also wouldn't require space combat mechanics to meaningfully interact with.

maybe some urban warfare in side 6 lol?

actually do any of the maps take place inside one of the o'neil cylinder colonies? no right? would be awesome to just have a map where the skybox has no horizon and instead it's just the colony curving up forever.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's plenty of room in the franchise for more conceptually interesting maps, the ones they have are just boring.

They should make a map set on Moon Moon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

some kind of jaburo jungle map could be fun. or, again, a map that is on top of the devil gundam.

idk there's not a ton of great "iconic gundam locations" that aren't just "a real life city" and also wouldn't require space combat mechanics to meaningfully interact with.

maybe some urban warfare in side 6 lol?

actually do any of the maps take place inside one of the o'neil cylinder colonies? no right? would be awesome to just have a map where the skybox has no horizon and instead it's just the colony curving up forever.

You don't have to make them iconic areas, but like. More locations based on scenes from the shows would be cool? The maps we have just feel super generic when you could basically point to any episode of most anime and be like "yeah just make that into a map" like most gundam games do. There's a lot of environments they can pull from; deserts, jungles, space stations and satellites. Asteroids, cities, all sorts of stuff. But then we get like a bunch of samey complexes. Probably the most visually distinct map is the harbour. I know there have been a few snowy cities and stuff in gundam, give us like a night time city map with a blizzard going on or something. Or maybe some kind of map that has under water portions and surface portions. Water physics optional for now I guess, but it'd at least be something visually different. Or if they wanted to get crazy, how about the impact crater of a colony drop or some poo poo? Just a big burnt wasteland.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Gulping Again posted:

Acguy would actually probably have a super fun kit.

Can't remember a Gundam game where it doesn't. It's always a blast.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jaburo, but both teams have to get to the exit before it's destroyed

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Gundam Versus had great lore maps, they should just port over some of those

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Good soup! posted:

Australia, but both teams have to get to the exit before it's destroyed

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:hmmyes:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

works for a fight inside of A Boa Qu too

or, again, side 6 :v:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The A/B bombing style match on Junius 7 or a colony as they're being dropped.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

hell yeah fighting on top of the falling isle iffish before tianem shoots it

or, consider: battle in the thunderbolt sector

too bad the most visually interesting extent map is "a city and also a very large boat" (seriously that boat is humongous)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Payload map, Operation Odessa, the payload is a Big Tray

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Chillgamesh posted:

Payload map, Operation Odessa, the payload is a Big Tray

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You fight on Doan's island and he's a stage hazard

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Fighting in the city at the end of 8th MS Team and Norris randomly spawns and attacks every mobile suit on the map

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
It took me 95 games (not counting unfilled games closing) before I saw harbor once. Fighting in a city was extremely cool, need more maps like that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Harbor is the coolest map, besides the one bomb map with the wide outdoor gully before the first waypoint whose name eludes me at the moment.

Both are a nightmare with a good sniper, which is just further reason to remove or nerf them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They are absolutely not going to remove a whole-rear end character from this game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

obviously

doesn't mean they shouldn't

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

it's like you've never heard anyone say "delete widowmaker" before

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Replace GM Sniper II with GM II

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

They are absolutely not going to remove a whole-rear end character from this game.

Of course not but it's a mistake these games keep making.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i bought the robots and the mahiroo is so loving weird

i'm trying to figure out its grenade bounces and it seems so hard to predict how these things will go (also they can go between a robot's legs and not hit it lol, so don't aim for the feet i guess). it's also noticeably weaker than a dom rocket. reload seems pretty fast though and you can cancel it at what seems to be ~51% (not 50 on the dot)

seems like there's a combo in shooting the mega laser behind someone and using the kick to knock them into it but even on the practice range dummies standing still i can either not execute the combo or get myself stunned too like a big dummy

the radar is weirdly short ranged and that will absolutely give me some misplaced confidence before turning a corner and getting shredded

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

i bought the robots and the mahiroo is so loving weird

i'm trying to figure out its grenade bounces and it seems so hard to predict how these things will go (also they can go between a robot's legs and not hit it lol, so don't aim for the feet i guess). it's also noticeably weaker than a dom rocket. reload seems pretty fast though and you can cancel it at what seems to be ~51% (not 50 on the dot)

seems like there's a combo in shooting the mega laser behind someone and using the kick to knock them into it but even on the practice range dummies standing still i can either not execute the combo or get myself stunned too like a big dummy

the radar is weirdly short ranged and that will absolutely give me some misplaced confidence before turning a corner and getting shredded

I just bounce grenades off walls around blind corners to make people mad so when they decide to come around the corner to kill me, they get a face full of stunsplosion, then I kick them and they die. Also enemies really hate it when you pop the ult and just throw grenades loving everywhere, just all over the place. Everything is exploding now, eat poo poo red team.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know given how much time I put into OW1 I should look into OW2 but I think I am actually, genuinely hooked on G-Evo

Also I tried playing Dozle on Lunar Comms and I think that was the first time I enjoyed a match there. Turns out the low mobility boy has no real weaknesses on a map where you're always no more than ten steps away from the enemy's path.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the ADS on the mahiroo is bizarre and seems pointless? it gives an increased rate of fire but i don't understand why that isn't just its base rof? the ADS narrows your field of vision slightly and you can shoot your 3 grenade clip quicker, you sacrifice very little but also don't gain a whole lot. am i missing something here? also the fact that a full clip of direct hits can't kill a ranged zaku is funny, even if it's not really that big a deal because you reload so fast

the ult does seem pretty nutty, you can just blind fire that into a room and kill everyone inside it seems like

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Or if you really, really, don't like someone and want to make it personal: you use your ult, walk up to them and just be like "Hello there" and shoot them in the back with all eight of those grenades.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've gotten some kills before by playing artillery with Mahiroo and just arcing shots up from behind cover, those feel good, not to mention the usual bank shots around corners. Easily the most fun suit currently. Maybe not a great duelist or team carry, but unmatched for being a huge annoyance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been getting catastrophic lag the last two matches.

If someone's ddos'ing G-Evo I'm going to be very cross