Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If you havent gotten like 75% of the way to laid in a movie theater with other people around you weren't horny enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Intro and excerpts, as usual. Not much today.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3178292/senior-military-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

Highlights:
-Indicates many of the Russian forces that were in Lyman were able to withdraw to vic Kreminna
-Heavy fighting near Bakhmut, but no changes to the line of troops
-In Kherson, some forward movement, DOD continues to use the term "deliberate and calibrated" to characterize Ukraine's offensive here, and Russians defending
-Airspace over Ukraine still contested
-Mobilization has not resulted in any large number of new Russian troops to fight (My note: it would be more surprising if there were a large number of troops so quickly)
-DOD is downplaying or otherwise not being alarmist about some reports about nuclear activity

quote:

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: OK, thanks. All right, well thanks very much for joining us. This is [Senior Military Official], I will be your briefer today. Of note, our advisory indicated a senior defense official, but it will be me. As a reminder, our briefing will be on background with attribution to a senior military official.

Obviously, Ukrainians continue to engage in the fight on the battlefield, a very dynamic battlefield and I will remain cognizant of operation security and refer you to Ukraine for tactical level details. But what I'd like to do today is just provide with a quick overview of the battlefield and then I'm prepared to take your questions.

As many of you have already heard, in the Kharkiv region to the north, Ukrainian forces have entered the city of Lyman, east of Izium and now control the city after Russian forces ceded that territory. It's our assessment that many of these Russian forces have moved back towards Crimea [MY NOTE: This is either machine translation error or SMO mispoke. Must mean Kreminna], which is east of Lyman, and are likely prioritizing that location to hold the line and robust further Ukrainian advances.

Notably, Lyman was being employed by Russian forces as a logistics hub, so its liberation by Ukraine is a significant operational accomplishment.

Also, in the Kharkiv region further north we assessed that Russian forces continue to fire artillery into the area around Kupiansk, which Ukrainians have continued to defend.

A little further south near Bakhmut, we see heavy fighting continuing as Russian forces have tried to push west, but no significant shifts on the ground have occurred as Ukrainian forces continue to hold the line there.

In Zaporizhzhia, we have no new updates to provide, although we continue to observe shelling in that area.

Moving to the vicinity of Kherson, we continue to see deliberate and calibrated operations by the Ukrainians as they continue their counter-offensive. Over the weekend we saw additional villages liberated, as announced by President Zelenskyy, which included Arkhanhelske and Myrolyubivka, northeast of Kherson, east of the Dnipro River.

And with that, I will go ahead and take your questions. We'll start with AP, Lolita Baldor.

Q: Hi, thank you. Can you give us an assessment of the Russian forces at this point? Are you seeing a large number of the new conscripts coming in? And are you seeing any efforts to rally Russian troops somewhere in order to mount their own counteroffensive?

And then just secondarily, are there concerns that the Ukrainian forces are, by focusing both on the east and in the south may get to the point where they're fighting too many battles.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yes, thanks Lita. So, in terms of Russia, we have not seen a large-scale reinforcement of forces at this stage. In terms of whether or not any of newly mobilized forces have moved into Ukraine, all I would say at this stage is not in a large scale. As far as Russian operations, again, as highlighted in my opening comments there, really in terms of any offensive action we see that primarily up near Kupiansk, where they are, as mentioned, firing artillery into the area near the city and down near Bakhmut. Which is, again, appears to be the primary area of offensive operations by the Russians trying to take that town. Again, which the Ukrainians have held their ground there.

In the Kherson region, primarily defensive in nature, as Ukraine has pressed the counteroffensive.

As far as Ukraine and whether they're overextending themselves, which is I think what you were asking, obviously that's a question for them to talk to about their own operations. What I would say is, clearly, this is a coordinated effort on their part.

It's no surprise as they've demonstrated physically on the battlefield that they're continuing to conduct counteroffensives in those two regions and have integrated their forces and are conducting operations in a way that continues to enable fire and maneuver and good lines of communication. So, I don't want to speculate other than to say that they continue to make deliberate progress in both of those regions.

All right, let me go ahead and go to the next question. Tom Bowman, NPR.

Q: Yes, could you -- I know that Secretary Austin has said he doesn't see anything right that would lead him to believe that Putin has made a decision on the nuclear angle here. "The Times of London" is reporting that a train operated by what they call the Secretive Nuclear Division in Russia, is heading towards Ukraine. Are you guys seeing any movement of any nuclear arsenal?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yes, Tom, I'm aware of those press reports. I don't have anything on that. I think what you heard Secretary Austin say in terms of, you know, that we've seen nothing to compel us to change our posture, is still the same.

Q: So that still stands despite the report by the Times of London?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: We've seen nothing at this stage that would compel us to change our posture.

Q: Hi, thanks. Question, I -- kind have two there. One is have you seen any activity by the Dnipro River, anything where Ukrainians are pushing back against the Russian bridge head, one.
And then two, wondering if you could say a little bit about the strategic importance of Wyman as a rail hub for supplying Russian troops. Thanks.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yes, thanks, Joe. In terms of that level of tactical detail, I'd refer you back to the Ukrainians and I don't want to get into that level just again for opsec reasons.

Obviously a lot of fighting continues down in the Kherson region there. So we'll continue to watch that in the days ahead. In terms of the significance as a logistics hub, you know, by pushing or by the Russians, you know, falling back into Kreminna and by denying them the use of that location as a hub, it impacts the ability to resupply forces along the ford line of troops, right.

So Russia in the Kharkiv region along down near Bakhmut and, you know, as far south as Kherson; any time that you remove any type of C2 hub like that, it's going to impact your ability to respond quickly.

It's going to impact your ability to essentially drive the pace of the operation. So that in essence is the significance, I would say, from a logistic stand point. OK.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Let's go to Phil Stewart Reuters.

Q: Hey there. Thank you. Sorry about the delay. Real quick, a couple of questions. Do you believe that -- or how many troops right now do you assess that Russia has on the West Bank of the Dnipro River and how exposed do you think they are militarily.

And lastly, do you think they're running short of supplies because of the Ukrainians being able to take out the bridges, thanks.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yes, thanks, Phil. So what I can talk to broadly speaking across the battlefield is what we've seen and what we've said previously when it comes to Russia and some of the logistic challenges they have, which includes supply challenges.

I'm not going to get into intelligence as it pertains to specific areas of the battlefield. In other words, you know, I'm not going to be able to provide numbers on Russian forces in those areas and what specific supply issues they may or may not have. What I will say is down in that Kherson region where Ukraine is conducting their counter offensive, as I mentioned, the Russians essentially are in a defensive crouch.

Right. They are fighting, obviously but they're in a defensive crouch as opposed to further north up near Bakhmut where it's more offensive in nature. So sorry I can't be more specific than that but hopefully that -- that provides a little more context.

Q: Thank you. Can I -- can you give us an update on the Nord Stream pipeline, whether or not the U.S. has committed any assets to the investigation or might be committing some to patrol the area to prevent anymore excursions or any more sabotage?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: So as I understand it, Ellie, the investigation continues by our European partners in the region. To my knowledge, we've not been asked to provide any specific capabilities from DOD at this time. As you know, Secretary Austin spoke to his Danish counterpart last week and offered that support. So we, again, will continue to be ready and available, should they need that, but in the meantime, my understanding is it's still under investigation and so we'll continue to await the outcome of that.

SMO: [in response to Q about mobilization] And then in terms of the mobilization -- so again, Russia has announced a partial mobilization. We know that they're looking to mobilize upwards of 300,000 troops and that, as that mobilization continues, we would fully expect that some of those troops eventually will be assigned to locations inside Ukraine.

So I can't tell you specifically if soldier X has been called up and is going. All I'm saying is that, broadly speaking, we've seen relatively small numbers at this stage. In other words, we're not talking about brigade size forces coming into Ukraine, we're seeing, you know, some replacement forces coming in to assist as, you know, they are attrited and as they have fallen back to try to shore up some of the defensive lines. But nothing large scale at this stage of the game.

Now, I will speculate a bit. If you look into the future, clearly there's a reason you're mobilizing 300,000 troops, with the intent of employing those forces at some point in time. We could expect to see them move but we have not seen that in the large scale at this stage. So hopefully that helps. Thanks.

Q: Hi, thanks for doing this. Last week, you confirmed that Russia was using Iranian drones in Ukraine and I'm hoping you could provide some specifics. Jake Sullivan said they're looking to purchase hundreds of them. Is that still the Pentagon's belief? Thank you.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah -- yes, sir, we assess that they're looking to -- and I'll just keep it in -- in the hundreds -- yep.

Q: Are they still -- are they using hundreds currently?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: No, they are not.

Q: Will you provide any details sort of on where that stands?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Well, I mean, again, as I mentioned, we do know that they're employing them on the battlefield in Ukraine. There is essentially two variants. One is an ISR capability and one is intended to be an attack capability, but beyond that, I'm not going to be able to go into further detail.

Q: I was just wondering if you could give us an update on what the sort of air situation looks like? The skies remain contested but has Ukraine been able to bring their Air Force more into the fight or do Russian air defenses keep them at bay? And vice versa, has Russia been able to use its Air Force more or do they remain over Russian-controlled territory, lobbing essentially longer range weaponry?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Yeah, thanks, Oren. So your characterization is right -- it is a contested environment in the air and predominantly Russian forces, as, again, you highlight them, launching munitions from safe zones, so to speak, right, over Russian-held territory or not too far from the border to try to evade Ukrainian air defenses.

Obviously, that, in and of itself, limits your ability to strike targets, especially -- and as we've said before -- the Russian Air Force and Russia in general, their precision-guided munitions are dwindling. And so they're going to be more conservative.

That said, you know, we do have reports of them, you know, firing missiles from aircraft into various locations, to include civilian infrastructure, right? We had a dam that that we've talked about before that they used aircraft to strike. So we continue to see them employing that.

On the Ukrainian side, again, they're continuing to use their aircraft, as well, as you highlight. I mean, they do have a significant air power capability that they have employed, both in defensive and offensive aspects, but I'll just leave it at that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's also the Russian army, so it's entirely possible it was not all that consensual

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that was an explosive ending

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Herstory Begins Now posted:

"I give bomb head, dude."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm convinced Musk is behind the 5G conspiracy theory bullshit.

Also large crypto fraud and "insider" trading (using bots to inflate poo poo). It's wild watching how many Musk-ovites have the same follows as right wing and conspiracy poo poo accounts that always repost poo poo that shows up on BotSentinel.

Why is he so desperate to buy Twitter and try and make it look like the bots cost him money?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

For that to be true would require me to believe that Musk is cunning

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Tiny Timbs posted:

For that to be true would require me to believe that Musk is cunning

He knows how to profit from controlling other people's property. e.g. PayPal, NFTs, Tesla.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I have to solely focus on my eternal crush on late-90s Rachel Weisz during that scene because the realist in me can only think about how they both likely ended up with horrific UTIs after bumping uglies after weeks of combat in Stalingrad with dubious access to bathing.

Back in HM school there were at least four incidents where people were caught banging in the barracks dumpster.

Horny don't care.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Do you think love can bloom boom even on a battlefield?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm convinced Musk is behind the 5G conspiracy theory bullshit.

Also large crypto fraud and "insider" trading (using bots to inflate poo poo). It's wild watching how many Musk-ovites have the same follows as right wing and conspiracy poo poo accounts that always repost poo poo that shows up on BotSentinel.

Why is he so desperate to buy Twitter and try and make it look like the bots cost him money?

Per litigation discovery emails, Musky got locked out of his twitter six days before he tried to buy them and it was a huge pain in the rear end requiring a conference call to get back in because he was a high profile blue check. I honestly believe that is all the butthurt it took for his dumb rear end to make the $45,000,000,000 blunder.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fool u coulda bought three Ford-class carriers and said no, gimme the birb website that has my ex's DMs

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

shame on an IGA posted:

fool u coulda bought three Ford-class carriers and said no, gimme the birb website that has my ex's DMs

Or the first superyacht you could land a Gulfstream *and* a SpaceX booster/Starship on. Think of the :smug: ultra-flex.

And the hilarity if the Starship gooned the landing and sank the hyperyacht.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I have to solely focus on my eternal crush on late-90s Rachel Weisz during that scene because the realist in me can only think about how they both likely ended up with horrific UTIs after bumping uglies after weeks of combat in Stalingrad with dubious access to bathing.

Let's face it, the most unrealistic part about that scene was that there weren't three dudes in scene jerking it while watching

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

GD_American posted:

Let's face it, the most unrealistic part about that scene was that there weren't three dudes in scene jerking it while watching

Cummunism, Tovarisch!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

shame on an IGA posted:

Per litigation discovery emails, Musky got locked out of his twitter six days before he tried to buy them and it was a huge pain in the rear end requiring a conference call to get back in because he was a high profile blue check. I honestly believe that is all the butthurt it took for his dumb rear end to make the $45,000,000,000 blunder.

shame on an IGA posted:

That's why that poo poo doesn't even make sense. He could have paid any other price in any other way other than very conspicuously making a stink about the thing no one forced him to buy.

"Oh your honor they're not MY bots! That's why I wanted to fix it! They hurt ME on Twitter! See?!"

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 4, 2022

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm disappointed that the Russians haven't spun the 1.5 million 'missing' uniforms as infact being because the camoflage is so effective they can't find them.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Baconroll posted:

I'm disappointed that the Russians haven't spun the 1.5 million 'missing' uniforms as infact being because the camoflage is so effective they can't find them.

Our stealth technology is so good you can't even see our jets

Like, wonder-woman jet style or something

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
My backpack's got jets

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Or the first superyacht you could land a Gulfstream *and* a SpaceX booster/Starship on. Think of the :smug: ultra-flex.

And the hilarity if the Starship gooned the landing and sank the hyperyacht.

He could've even named it some loving awful name akin to a Kentucky Derby horse like the landing barges for his boosters.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

RL billionaires are so fuckin lame, really. If I had the means to then yes I would absolutely see about acquiring my own de-milled super carrier.

Or if I was a Google Founder, those mapping and navigation algorithms would suggest routes to the public that reduce traffic on my favorite roads so I have to deal with fewer idiots behind the wheel.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/KyleJGlen/status/1577280165377638400

When the Russians admit they are losing this badly, you know they are absolutely getting whooped in the south.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

in a well actually posted:

The 1000 ft range is for the gigabit high frequency 5G that’s only deployed for marketing purposes. Regular 5G is just Better 4G. ATT has rural fixed 4G wireless for $70 with like 25 mbit/s (350G/mo cap.) Not as fast as unloaded Starlink, but better than most rural options.

Wait, 350G/month? That is a lot better than anything else I was seeing, which was like 50G at a shot.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ulmont posted:

Wait, 350G/month? That is a lot better than anything else I was seeing, which was like 50G at a shot.

https://www.att.com/internet/fixed-wireless/

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The push in the south is apparently only 50km from taking the hub town that has the dam feeding Crimrea's water. Maybe closer now with how quickly the Russian defence along the river seems to be collapsing.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
South seems to be picking up. Rumor mill going as far as saying Russian are pulling back to Ingulets, which I'll refuse to believe for now, but probably means there's actual movement in any case.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Loezi posted:

South seems to be picking up. Rumor mill going as far as saying Russian are pulling back to Ingulets, which I'll refuse to believe for now, but probably means there's actual movement in any case.

Ukraine has started shelling the bridge again as the Russian's try to retreat across it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Picture is what I’m describing, but I’ll put it in as code as it’s pretty :nms:

The Russians are stealing gold teeth and dental fixtures from Ukrainians. It’s a plastic tub full of them.

code:
https://twitter.com/knightmirko/status/1577353601583915008?s=46&t=wfyfwqrHUcxey8TslBRmBA

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 4, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The Russians are stealing gold teeth and dental fixtures from Ukrainians. It’s a plastic tub full of them.

code:
https://twitter.com/knightmirko/status/1577353601583915008?s=46&t=wfyfwqrHUcxey8TslBRmBA

Gee, this seems awfully familiar...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
origin of that claim appears to be

(nws)
http s://t.me/nakipelovo/21693

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

origin of that claim appears to be

(nws)
http s://t.me/nakipelovo/21693
Auto translation

quote:

Be careful, what you will see now can greatly affect your morale. Another terrible torture chamber in the recently liberated village of Pisky-Radkivski. In the basement of one of the houses, captives of local residents, anti-terrorist forces and prisoners from the armed forces were kept. Neighbors constantly heard screams from there... The police definitely know about torture, burying/digging alive in the ground and using gas masks with a smoldering rag. A dildo, a box with torn dentures, wires with ropes and a letter with an interview of one of the men who were there were also found in the torture chamber. The police know the names of the servicemen who were abused by the Russians. Investigators and prosecutors are working to establish all the facts that happened in this torture chamber. Everyone will be punished.

On the lighter side

https://twitter.com/tavkhellidze/status/1577365091367919616?s=46&t=QW-iizbIG682E8HApPafSQ

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 4, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CommieGIR posted:

Gee, this seems awfully familiar...

Putin taking notes from the :smugdon: school of projection by calling the Ukrainians Nazis, huh?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Every accusation a confession.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Marshal Prolapse posted:

code:

Oh for fucks goddamn sake

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Probably insanely poorly timed post after that gold teeth reveal but:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1577387758594637824?s=20&t=eAOeY6h8sSawU0AGb6N0aA

Between how the driver blazed in there and jumped out to help embark the rescuees I was sort of happy when he started moving again after the hit

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh for fucks goddamn sake

Worse it’s clear those aren’t from the dead (which is still loving horrific mind you).

So for any who served, is it terrifying that Russian officers make even the worst you had, look like loving Grant or Ike?

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1577395712341512206?s=46&t=J3DXoR9B1vgCJU3uw-Wxpg

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Probably insanely poorly timed post after that gold teeth reveal but:

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1577387758594637824?s=20&t=eAOeY6h8sSawU0AGb6N0aA

Between how the driver blazed in there and jumped out to help embark the rescuees I was sort of happy when he started moving again after the hit

Even after all the things we've seen so far, I'm naive enough to be amazed that BMP-1s are still in frontline service.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Worse it’s clear those aren’t from the dead (which is still loving horrific mind you).

So for any who served, is it terrifying that Russian officers make even the worst you had, look like loving Grant or Ike?

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1577395712341512206?s=46&t=J3DXoR9B1vgCJU3uw-Wxpg

The original owners are most likely dead in the mass graves.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

The original owners are most likely dead in the mass graves.

I think the point was that they weren't yet ready for those graves when those teeth came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

A.o.D. posted:

I think the point was that they weren't yet ready for those graves when those teeth came out.

It’s way more likely they got removed before the guys dragging the bodies away could take them.

It’s war crimes all the way down.