Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Oenis posted:

Didn't see this get posted yet, but there's a new casual browser incremental that I had fun with for the past 2 days, so far I'm 8 layers deep and there's still more. It's not the most original, but it's not the most bland either. I wish there was a bit more automation, but it's fine.

https://demonins-item-shop.demonin.repl.co/games/dodecaDragons/

oooo, i took one look at the style and went 'wait, is this by the endless stairwell guy'? and it is, hell yeah. I loved that game. Very much incremental not idler but I like my games active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

DDD scratches the progression itch something bad for the first few resets.

It falls into a few idler traps though, like how having a resource grants you more of that resource but it only looks at your current quantity and not lifetime or highest. Which means that e.g. buying the 8 magic upgrade (magic multiplies its own gain) is not a good purchase when you only have 8 magic

Another trap, besides the lack of automation, is that for a while (after you get the magic upgrade to boost fire upgrades 2 and 3), clicking suddenly becomes more valuable than passive income again. Hate it when games do that.
Only lasts until the next upgrade but still

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Short runs are key, in my experience. Start with all 4 challenges active, then cash out after a little bit; even if your score is only, like, 12, that has significant knock-on effects down the line.

Then, try a one-challenge run - for no more than 30 seconds. Try it with A1, then again with A2, and so on. Keep note of which one gets you the highest score, and which one nets you the lowest; IIRC, when I first started doing challenges, B1 was the single challenge I had the worst results with.

Then for a three-challenge run, select every challenge except the one you had the worst score with as a single challenge, because that's the one you're having the hardest time getting past, right? Again, a short run. Another for the 2-challenge run.

Short challenge runs matter because your 'total' challenge score is the 1-challenge score multiplied by the 2-challenge score and so on, so even small, unrewarding runs add up to big results. Then you chill out for a bit, spend whatever new platinum or fire or whatever that you've picked up, then do another series of short challenge runs to bump up your total score. Wash, rinse, repeat. Short runs are key. Incremental progress means you'll be going back and doing quick challenge runs a bunch, but before too long you pick up enough automation to take the sting out of it.

This advice doesn't work for early 3-challenge runs. B1 itself is actually the best single challenge because your money is comfortably larger than your fire income. But once you add two other challenges, you don't wanna use B1 because just the unnerfed fire income gives you far more challenge points than your gold income.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 4, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

GrossMurpel posted:

Another trap, besides the lack of automation, is that for a while (after you get the magic upgrade to boost fire upgrades 2 and 3), clicking suddenly becomes more valuable than passive income again. Hate it when games do that.
Only lasts until the next upgrade but still

For what it's worth, you can just hold enter after clicking once.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

For what it's worth, you can just hold enter after clicking once.

Luckily, I already know about that. But your post made me realize there's some people who don't, who will have clicked that one uranium upgrade 100 times on each reset :smithicide:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
FAPI inventory management is dragging down an otherwise fun idler.

Having to evaluate a full inventory of loot every hour, with little correlation between item level and stat amounts nor item color/rarity and stat amounts is quite a drag.

Any tips on making this less tedious?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ineptitude posted:

Having to evaluate a full inventory of loot every hour, with little correlation between item level and stat amounts nor item color/rarity and stat amounts is quite a drag.

I've whined a little bit about NGU's inventory, and how it gets tiresome, but at least there's some interesting stuff going on with it rather than random diablo loot.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah gear goes away when you ascend just wear the highest level without whack that has potato skull and class exp

2nd set is whack min/max

Your overthinking the gear

Sayara
May 10, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

Just stop caring about it that much. I just farm a set every now and then, wear the highest rating of highest rarity without even checking the stats (they probably even out anyway), upgrade that to what I can, and don't farm more on purpose before I can get vastly better gear.

I tried to do what you did when I started, and it's just not worth the hassle. Only exception I have is having a set of reincarnation gear from 1-9 after ascending.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Whack set before ascending is highly recommended as your highest token bonus is saved.

Pretty sure one of the ascended upgrades eventually is you keep gear, at that point you can start to worry about it. Inventory spaces are a complete waste of premium currency you get plenty from other areas and auto destroy destroys overflow so all you really are doing is increasing the pool of lovely under leveled loot you can pick through after coming back from AFK and moving to a new zone new item rating cap. There are some pretty glaring flaws in the ascended system.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 5, 2022

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Ineptitude posted:

It's very different from NGU, you have no reason to ever look at any items that drop other than when you are making a new set to enhance.

Early game you want a maximum rolled reincarnation set from 1-9, then one or two intermediate sets (save the 1-9 set to wear when you reincarnate) from somewhere between 2-2 and 2-5, then a new max reincarnation set from 2-7 (the first time reincarnation shows back up), then new sets every time you can approximately double the base item rating. Use all the shards you have saved since your last set to upgrade your new set to whichever breakpoint of +9/19/29 you are able, then start saving shards for the next one.

As long as you have a high roll of reincarnation xp on every item and 2-3 affixes of every other stat spread across your set you're good other than some edge cases where you might want to get milk, brewing, or whack score on all pieces. Even 'good' stats like class xp and skulls need 2-10x to give .1% reincarnation exp, which is the only stat that actually gives progression--every other stat is just there to trick you into not getting as much as you can of the one good stat that is 100x better.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Echoing what everyone else has said. Unless you're doing a Freeloader run with the explicit purpose of upgrading your gear, just junk everything else. Whenever you're comfortably a few zones ahead of where you were AND you have a decent nest-egg of upgrade resources consider doing a Freeloader run to swap some stuff out for stuff with bigger numbers.

Having done my first Ascension, everyone who has said it's not too bad was right. It feels markedly faster than A0, and I'm really looking forward to A2 since that 2 point upgrade that makes Worm Poop apply to all Confections at the same time seems insane in terms of QoL and progress-boosting.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I did the 2 point worm poop counts everywhere thing as soon as I could and I think I actually miss the 1 pt potatoes don't go away when spent upgrade. The poop one is good, but I think I underestimated how good the potato one was. Next ascension is definitely going to buy both though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bedurndurn posted:

I did the 2 point worm poop counts everywhere thing as soon as I could and I think I actually miss the 1 pt potatoes don't go away when spent upgrade. The poop one is good, but I think I underestimated how good the potato one was. Next ascension is definitely going to buy both though.

I went with poop doesn't unassign on rebirth and not far enough in the run to know if this is good or not. My thought was at the end this should snowball by letting me switch classes without having to farm worms or anything my poop will already be farmed and assigned. I am thinking potato + this next and probably potato + Skull for 4th.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks for the gear selection input. I wouldn’t say i was overthinking it, more that i don’t know which stats are important and not.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

pixaal posted:

I went with poop doesn't unassign on rebirth and not far enough in the run to know if this is good or not. My thought was at the end this should snowball by letting me switch classes without having to farm worms or anything my poop will already be farmed and assigned. I am thinking potato + this next and probably potato + Skull for 4th.

I took skull at my 3rd, and it's so drat nice. I'm not sure if it's good or better than 1+2 pointers, but qol of not having to think a drat thing where to put them makes it so, so worth it. Beginning becomes so much nicer as you can just put everything to max and don't have to juggle with page 3 and the rest. I thought of the poop not resetting one, but as you still have to do the skulls and potatoes, so you can't completely afk, and the exponential requirement of everything except maybe atk, hp and potatoes makes it so that going from 1T worms to 1Qa worms barely makes a difference even during long runs. If I make it to 6th run it's potatoes, poop working on everything at once, skulls, and then I only need to check on milk every now and then. :allears:

MattDarling
Apr 25, 2017

pixaal posted:

I'm just over RL 2000 in second ascension with that same choice. I'm starting to get billions of poop and I'm definitely getting significant use out of the upgrade.

My reasoning was that "apply everywhere at once" is a 10x multiplier, as you no longer have to divide your total across the non-attack/HP slots. Or if you don't assign equally because you want to min/max certain stats, it's boosting stats you don't care about while doing nothing for the stat you're trying to focus on.

But with poop kept after reincarnation, especially at the start of a run, carrying over billions of poop is way more than a 10x increase. So it makes shorter runs more viable, like you said.

And the QoL is similar because it keeps its existing allocation on reincarnation, so I just click + sometimes when it would be a decent increase.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think I'm on the right track, but may need some guidance in Sandcastle Builder:

I've got Ceiling Broken and a couple levels of Window Washing Beanies. I'm pretty sure with enough levels Window Washing will push me to infinite castles, but getting enough scaffolds for each new level has felt like quite the push and I want to make sure I'm not skipping any steps in between. Part of that is me not understanding exactly how temporal duplication works -- do temporal duplicates contribute to the cost scaling for each tool, or are they just totally "free" extras? If it's the former I guess I want to leave myself exactly 512 Scaffolds away from the next upgrade point, multi-buy 256 of them, and double it with temporal duplication? And if it's the latter then I can just spam buy on them whenever I get the TD bonus?

Also I've been opening crates and getting blackprints. I constructed the Sand Mould Maker but it feels like that whole set of goals is a little further off and I shouldn't waste my factory automation cycles on it for now. Should I just be opening them for the glass blocks at this point and then spending blocks on my caged logicat to get rifts/temporal duplications?

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.
For FAPI Perks in terms of power and ignoring QoL:
A1: Doesn't matter, 5% difference
A2: milk speed > worm speed > poop counts everywhere > potato > keep poop (keep poop does little almost the entire run because you are constantly gaining more poop multipliers), maybe 8h difference from best to worst
A3: milk speed alone is 20-30% faster than anything else, expect to take an extra day if you don't pick it
A4: milk speed alone is 20-25% faster than anything else, expect to take up to a week longer if you don't pick it (not yet clear how slow the end of a4 will be but it looks glacial)

Why is milk speed so much faster? The 100 cost residue upgrade "Reduce the Reincarnation Exp required to level, based on total residue created this ascension" is an infinite progression of 40% more residue reducing xp requirements by 10%, so doubling your residue via milk speed perk gives you ~20% reduced xp per level vs. someone who doesn't have the perk. (This isn't including the stuff you can buy with this extra residue.) Everything else has to go through at least one layer of linear gains with exponential costs before it begins to affect your reincarnation xp.

The other perks aren't bad, but give the most power in the early parts of the game that by A3 are already sped up by the power increases you get via ascending. They do very little at high rl where most of your time is spent. (With poop for example: worm speed gives about 4x poop and 4x larva for 16x production on reincarnation xp, which allows you to get about 100 more levels of reincarnation xp, which is 5% increased reincarnation xp on something you have at 130%-160%, which is less than 4% more reincarnation xp.)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

goferchan posted:

I think I'm on the right track, but may need some guidance in Sandcastle Builder:

I've got Ceiling Broken and a couple levels of Window Washing Beanies. I'm pretty sure with enough levels Window Washing will push me to infinite castles, but getting enough scaffolds for each new level has felt like quite the push and I want to make sure I'm not skipping any steps in between. Part of that is me not understanding exactly how temporal duplication works -- do temporal duplicates contribute to the cost scaling for each tool, or are they just totally "free" extras? If it's the former I guess I want to leave myself exactly 512 Scaffolds away from the next upgrade point, multi-buy 256 of them, and double it with temporal duplication? And if it's the latter then I can just spam buy on them whenever I get the TD bonus?

Also I've been opening crates and getting blackprints. I constructed the Sand Mould Maker but it feels like that whole set of goals is a little further off and I shouldn't waste my factory automation cycles on it for now. Should I just be opening them for the glass blocks at this point and then spending blocks on my caged logicat to get rifts/temporal duplications?

You're on the right track IIRC. It's been a while since I played but you should absolutely sell/use your tools and then buy them as much as you can during a TD.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Is there anything obvious I'm missing for DodecaDragons? Unlocked Cyan and Blue sigils, and I'm at the point where I can unlock everything and hit about e10K gold in about a minute after sigil resets, but the next sigil tier requires e17.5K and that seems way to high to reach in a reasonable amount of time without some other kind of big jump, but I haven't noticed anything else I could work on. Is it really just 'keep doing short runs and mashing sigil resets as fast as possible'?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Inadequately posted:

Is there anything obvious I'm missing for DodecaDragons? Unlocked Cyan and Blue sigils, and I'm at the point where I can unlock everything and hit about e10K gold in about a minute after sigil resets, but the next sigil tier requires e17.5K and that seems way to high to reach in a reasonable amount of time without some other kind of big jump, but I haven't noticed anything else I could work on. Is it really just 'keep doing short runs and mashing sigil resets as fast as possible'?

Pretty much. You’ll want to make sure to grab all the one-off unlocks for both sigils, and the keep sigil resetting in order to build up you _PS to push the uncapped bonuses further. Dragon Affection Levels end up being the thing that pushes you high enough, so sometimes just waiting sufficiently long gets you there.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm at roughly the same part and the perpetual shortrun stuff has gotten incredibly tedious, honestly. You can automate buying Fire upgrades. Great. Shame you have to do everything else manually constantly. Drag the screen around to buy a bunch of upgrades to drag the screen to buy a bunch more to drag the screen to the challenges to run them several times to drag the screen to get the rest of the upgrades to drag the screen to reset and do it all again. Over and over and over. Most of this poo poo really should've been automated forever ago at this point but it just... isn't.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Yeah I kind of hate that you can't actually move these windows around, and the lack of fire upgrade automation/having to constantly redo the challenges is incredibly annoying.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yeah I kind of hate that you can't actually move these windows around, and the lack of fire upgrade automation/having to constantly redo the challenges is incredibly annoying.

You eventually don't have to do either of these.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Sure but I've spent the whole day doing both of those things. Automation for each should be unlocked WAY earlier.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Even with Fire automation and challenges not needing redoing when you upgrade your dragon's fire production, you do still have to redo challenges after every sigil reset (and as an extra gently caress you, when you get to Indigo sigils it looks like they add no new automation! Yaaaaay!). And on top of that you also have to do platinum, uranium and both sets of magic upgrades. And by this point, sigils are about a minute long as mentioned already. There is no good reason or excuse for this not being automated, or just flatout not kicked back to 0, by now.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Lotus Aura posted:

Even with Fire automation and challenges not needing redoing when you upgrade your dragon's fire production, you do still have to redo challenges after every sigil reset (and as an extra gently caress you, when you get to Indigo sigils it looks like they add no new automation! Yaaaaay!). And on top of that you also have to do platinum, uranium and both sets of magic upgrades. And by this point, sigils are about a minute long as mentioned already. There is no good reason or excuse for this not being automated, or just flatout not kicked back to 0, by now.

Indigo sigils provide 4 dark magic upgrades (that stay on sigil reset) and one of them is effectively auto challenge.

platinum, uranium, magic are all manual via max all and dark magic, feeding your dragon are all still manual at the end game though.

EDIT: I do agree the game quickly settles into extremely manual, fast, extremely rote resets where you're frustrated with the UI layout though. A shame because I feel like it had great pacing up until.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm at current end game and a reset is basically 20 clicks, plus dragging the menu around. Make plat and max buy, make uranium and max buy, feed the dragon like 7 ish times, buy the dark magic the resets every time, buy some more uranium and then reset.

Everything else is automated, but I agree that the automation should have started a tier or two earlier. The repetition was really bad and I just left it overnight to go up a tier when I got bored of doing the same click rotation repeatedly.

Once you've pet the dragon enough times there's basically nothing else to do until the next feature update.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah as the game goes on the lack of automation becomes worse and more apparent. The game is still being updated, so maybe it will get better in the future. I'm at indigo sigils and I'm putting it on hold for now.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

The challenges need to not be so obnoxious to redo, as well (and just make feeding the dragon not reset them entirely). Waaaaaaay too many mouse clicks and moving the UI around for how many times you have to redo all four over and over again.

Lone Goat posted:

I'm at current end game and a reset is basically 20 clicks, plus dragging the menu around. Make plat and max buy, make uranium and max buy, feed the dragon like 7 ish times, buy the dark magic the resets every time, buy some more uranium and then reset.

Everything else is automated, but I agree that the automation should have started a tier or two earlier. The repetition was really bad and I just left it overnight to go up a tier when I got bored of doing the same click rotation repeatedly.

Once you've pet the dragon enough times there's basically nothing else to do until the next feature update.

I'm not on blue sigils yet but that sounds awful. And like, why even have a mock-Windows UI where you can't move the windows around or resize them?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Been playing FAPI for the past few days and it feels slow? I just reincarnated for the first time. When does it get faster? It feels like all I do is go afk/offline, come back to lots of ressources and upgrade and then go away. There isn't any levers to speed things up yet. Each new feature doesn't seem to accelerate things fast enough/fun enough. Maybe I'm spoiled with how fast Idle Research handled it. Maybe I'm remembering NGU's early days with rose-tinted glasses. God knows I nearly quit multiple times but the goon discord channel carried me until it hooked me. I'm getting really sick of idles with slowed progress hidden behind adventure zones to grind through. When the gently caress do I unlock respawn/faster progression?

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 8, 2022

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The challenges need to not be so obnoxious to redo, as well (and just make feeding the dragon not reset them entirely). Waaaaaaay too many mouse clicks and moving the UI around for how many times you have to redo all four over and over again.

I'm not on blue sigils yet but that sounds awful. And like, why even have a mock-Windows UI where you can't move the windows around or resize them?

One of the sigil upgrades makes feeding the dragon not reset the challenges.
But yeah the game after sigils just becomes "do the tedious reset 100 times so you unlock the ability to make it slightly less tedious", there's no new prestiges or anything

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Xtanstic posted:

Been playing FAPI for the past few days and it feels slow? I just reincarnated for the first time. When does it get faster? It feels like all I do is go afk/offline, come back to lots of ressources and upgrade and then go away. There isn't any levers to speed things up yet. Each new feature doesn't seem to accelerate things fast enough/fun enough. Maybe I'm spoiled with how fast Idle Research handled it. Maybe I'm remembering NGU's early days with rose-tinted glasses. God knows I nearly quit multiple times but the goon discord channel carried me until it hooked me. I'm getting really sick of idles with slowed progress hidden behind adventure zones to grind through. When the gently caress do I unlock respawn/faster progression?

FAPI Is slow burn, it doesn't get much faster but you should be reincarnation a few times per day and then fall into once a day in later game.

First one or two might be longer.

I liked where it looked like it was going easy but now it feels more like the dev doesn't know what parts of the genre are more compounding games and what parts are for slow burns and mixing them poorly.

I just have no idea where they are going and feeling like I'm not interesting in what it's becoming which is a shame because I liked where it looked like 1.0 was going. I'm sure it's fixing some niche.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 8, 2022

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

pixaal posted:

FAPI Is slow burn, it doesn't get much faster but you should be reincarnation a few times per day and then fall into once a day in later game.

First one or two might be longer.

I liked where it looked like it was going easy but now it feels more like the dev doesn't know what parts of the genre are more compounding games and what parts are for slow burns and mixing them poorly.

I just have no idea where they are going and feeling like I'm not interesting in what it's becoming which is a shame because I liked where it looked like 1.0 was going. I'm sure it's fixing some niche.

OK thanks for confirming my impression. It doesn't look like a bad game per se, but it's not what I want or need right now so I can safely put it aside without feeling any guilt.

I know not many people in this thread enjoy Melvor Idle, but if you do, there's an expansion (paid) expansion arriving in a few weeks. I flit in and out of Melvor and if it weren't for Runescape nostalgia I would have dropped the game in all honesty.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Kinda bummed i spent a full day on FAPI challenge 7 and failed.
Progress was fine but eventually tapered off at 1-9-37.
I guess i need to let calcium build on attack and hp for a few days before i try again, im not seeing any other potential areas of progress.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ineptitude posted:

Kinda bummed i spent a full day on FAPI challenge 7 and failed.
Progress was fine but eventually tapered off at 1-9-37.
I guess i need to let calcium build on attack and hp for a few days before i try again, im not seeing any other potential areas of progress.

If you've been doing your daily codes, you should have a spare Attack/HP consumable, but you might need to be a bit closer than 37 for those to take you over the top. Also make sure you're getting Att and HP whack bonuses up

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Yeah, can confirm that because of the way the scaling works on the challenges the max you'll get from a red potion there is like 5 waves.

You definitely want to throw residue into some of those 1% stacking bonuses and also build up some extra milk so you can reallocate away from potatoes/exp at the end for the final push.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

If you've been doing your daily codes, you should have a spare Attack/HP consumable, but you might need to be a bit closer than 37 for those to take you over the top. Also make sure you're getting Att and HP whack bonuses up

Arent the whack bonuses just a temporary buff? Doesn't sound like a smart or reliable thing to rely on?

ErIog posted:

You definitely want to throw residue into some of those 1% stacking bonuses and also build up some extra milk so you can reallocate away from potatoes/exp at the end for the final push.

Welp there is another page of residue purchases :doh:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's cool that the potato game follows in the footsteps of every other idle game, in that if you're discussing it, it sounds absolutely unhinged to people who have not played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
After what's got to be several months of playing off , and on I have achieved Infinite Sandcastles in Sandcastle Builder

edit: It really is hard to sell what a paradigm shift it is, and I think it would lose some of its impact if it wasn't so tedious getting to that point. While you start using glass for stuff it doesn't feel like I've just moved up to the next tier of resources, it all operates very differently. And i love how you go from operating with discrete quantities of resources to "Infinity", where it suddenly turns into a binary thing where I either have an infinite amount of castles or I don't.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 10, 2022