Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It really is basically just a show written entirely out of first drafts signed off on so everyone can go back to drinking, cocaine and/or Twitter.

I miss when the writers gambling on football gave us Lisa the Greek.

Unrelated but rewatching Homer the Heretic & I know he’s just there to add Judaism to the story but that’s oddly the most selfless we see Krusty. Going door to door collecting for charity & spending his Sunday morning on volunteer firefighting duty & successfully rescuing a cat.

Also odd Otto isn’t driving the fire truck, driving large vehicles is like his one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Unrelated but rewatching Homer the Heretic & I know he’s just there to add Judaism to the story but that’s oddly the most selfless we see Krusty. Going door to door collecting for charity & spending his Sunday morning on volunteer firefighting duty & successfully rescuing a cat.

Also odd Otto isn’t driving the fire truck, driving large vehicles is like his one thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Knowing Krusty there's even odds it's court-mandated community service for something or other. Still fun that he's pretty enthusiastic about it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Das Boo posted:

All I know from new Scooby Doo is that version where Shaggy dumped Velma for Scooby and she's still pissed about it. It sounds more sordid than it plays out, but that's exactly how she puts it.

And it's loving hilarious.
Personally, I loved when the gang teamed up with Harlan Ellison, playing himself, to rescue H.P. Hatecraft; also when they devoted a whole episode to a War of the Gargantuas homage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
For a jaded hack addicted to drugs and gambling who clearly hates his job except for the fame, always loved that Krusty is actually pretty friendly and even enthusiastic when he's off the clock.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He knows how to work a crowd and where his paychecks come from.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Though even in private moments, like when he visits Homer in the hospital about to get bypass surgery, Krusty's genuinely friendly to him and even empathetic, sharing his own health problems. Even loaded up with vices and cynicism, he does come off as a genuinely cheerful person at times.

Also, taking the kids to Tijuana is probably the most Krusty thing he's ever done.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FunkyAl posted:

I am watching scooby doo on zombie island and think this is possibly the only show that improved after thirty years on the air.

i mean...to be fair, it was a made for T.V. movie that had an insane animation budget. hell, looking back at it, it looks like a movie that could have made a legit theatrical release. did not seem like it was cheap or a victim of corner cutting at all. kind of surprised it got greenlit in the first place, honestly.

but regardless, yes zombie island is an excellent scooby doo iteration. honestly, i think an argument could be made that scooby doo is one of those rare series that somehow gets better as time goes on. i think the original series is enjoyable enough, but like most of the 60s/70s style hanna barbera cartoons, it gets pretty boring and formulaic real quick

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Around that time, though, was that WB in the 90s was apparently seriously considering a live-action Scooby movie before the ones we got in the early 2000s. Some of the interest was seemingly fueled by a Scooby-Doo-themed kid's meal promotion for Burger King where a 'live-action' Mystery Machine van was featured, driving some fans to speculate a live-action movie was imminent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ-1ix8fIBQ

It's possible that Zombie Island might have had some of its DNA from that window of time: Either concepts for a live-action movie that didn't get made or was being used as an animated direct-to-video 'commercial' to gauge or build interest in the brand for an eventual live-action reboot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Zombie Island is also shown as, like with the live-action movie, a big thing where the gang first encounter 'real' supernatural beings and a big deal is made out of it. So yeah, wouldn't surprise me that it was originally intended as theatrical and/or live-action.

Someone put it best that Scooby-Doo is a fun franchise to be a fan of, because the quality and tone of it goes so shamelessly all over the place you have no idea what you're going to get or how good it's going to be. The KISS crossover is apparently ridiculous and fun.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I remember being a kid and winning the Zombie Island VHS in a contest at the local Dairy Queen and feeling like I had won the lottery itself. Also it's a cool movie if you're a kid into Scooby-Doo and zombies.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
We are about as far out from the release of Zombie Island as we were from the start of the original run of Scooby Doo to the release of Zombie Island.

Much like Terminator probably has a lot people always thinking "Arnie is the good terminator', I wonder if the last near-quarter century where the 'supernatural' aspects of the show has become a pronounced just enough has made huge parts of the audience just think the whole franchise has ALWAYS been about 'X% guys in rubber masks'/'Y% actual monsters, AIs, aliens, and ghosts.'

Even in the pre-Zombie Island era, the franchise DID have the 13 Ghosts of Scooby series, so there's something of a precedent there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember watching original Scooby Doos as a 4 year-old in 1992 and becoming wise to the fact that I was never going to see a "real" monster in this show. As a horror-obsessed tot, this frustrated me and I swore off the show until a friend brought over a VHS copy of Zombie Island. I felt so justified.

It did make me a 90's child privy to 70's celebrities, for better or worse.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

a later movie retconned it so the zombies and all other supernatural ghouls were actually fake

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Wasn't all the red shirt Shaggy stuff with Ghoul School and Reluctant Werewolf long before Zombie Island? Also the series where they met the Addams Family and Batman and Robin.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mantis42 posted:

a later movie retconned it so the zombies and all other supernatural ghouls were actually fake

Son of a BITCH.

e:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't all the red shirt Shaggy stuff with Ghoul School and Reluctant Werewolf long before Zombie Island? Also the series where they met the Addams Family and Batman and Robin.

I wanted Freddy to get his smug rear end handed to him.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Zombie Island is also shown as, like with the live-action movie, a big thing where the gang first encounter 'real' supernatural beings and a big deal is made out of it. So yeah, wouldn't surprise me that it was originally intended as theatrical and/or live-action.

Someone put it best that Scooby-Doo is a fun franchise to be a fan of, because the quality and tone of it goes so shamelessly all over the place you have no idea what you're going to get or how good it's going to be. The KISS crossover is apparently ridiculous and fun.

Due to a keycard fault I got locked in my flat for a weekend and decided to kill time by watching Scooby Doo meets KISS and I couldn't figure out who it could possibly have been made for. How big is the audience crossover for straight to DVD scooby doo films and people who have seen and enjoy KISS meets the Phantom of the Park?

And there's something about Daphne trying to hook up with Paul Stanley that's so unwholesome.

I also watched Zombie Island with a friend to try and cheer her up, but she was so angry to begin with that all of scooby's antics just increasingly aggravated her, which made it even funnier somehow. "You know if I was about to take a bite out of a big sandwich and a dog inhaled the filling so when I bit into it, it was just bread I'd be so hosed off, I wouldn't put up with that. I completely understand why these people don't want Scooby Doo in their house."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Maybe it’s a joke that he’s not qualified to drive a fire truck, but more than qualified to handle dozens of school children.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've only seen one clip of Scooby Doo and Kiss, and the entire thing was a big love letter to Jack Kirby. So I'm curious about the whole thing.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Zombie Island owns. The cat people transformation shots were pretty visceral and well animated. Definitely done overseas. Also Jim Cummings getting to play a Cajun riverboat captain was good casting.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Been a heckin while since I saw it, but I remember the small quiet scene of Fred in his room getting dressed, reaching for an ascot and going "...naaahhh" and I was like daaamn :aaaaa:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

and wasn't that move....zombie island 2? :barf:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Did Scoob and the gang ever run into Wonder Woman or Superman? I know they did Batman and Robin, but now I'm wondering if the 'superhumen' aspects of the other two would have veered too far away from 'nothing supernatural really going on.' I know the Brady Kids cartoon had WW and Supes, though.

I also wonder how much the Buffyverse figured into the perceptions of Scooby-Doo. At the near-height of that show's popularity and for a long time afterwards, weren't the main cast of characters referred to as the 'scoobs' or something by the fanbase? Except in that show it literally was actual monsters and such every week underneath the mask of human flesh

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Das Boo posted:

All I know from new Scooby Doo is that version where Shaggy dumped Velma for Scooby and she's still pissed about it. It sounds more sordid than it plays out, but that's exactly how she puts it.

And it's loving hilarious.

I heard they broke up because Velma got herpes from Action Johnny.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Did Scoob and the gang ever run into Wonder Woman or Superman? I know they did Batman and Robin, but now I'm wondering if the 'superhumen' aspects of the other two would have veered too far away from 'nothing supernatural really going on.' I know the Brady Kids cartoon had WW and Supes, though.

I also wonder how much the Buffyverse figured into the perceptions of Scooby-Doo. At the near-height of that show's popularity and for a long time afterwards, weren't the main cast of characters referred to as the 'scoobs' or something by the fanbase? Except in that show it literally was actual monsters and such every week underneath the mask of human flesh

I can’t think of any in cartoons but they had a whole monthly Scooby Doo/DC superhero team up comic for a while.

I’ve been meaning to watch that Batman Brave and the Bold Scooby movie they released a few years after Brave and the Bold ended.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Knowing Krusty there's even odds it's court-mandated community service for something or other. Still fun that he's pretty enthusiastic about it.

Yeah definitely still in the early stage when the writers have mentioned they weren’t consistent about what Krusty’s show was or his level of celebrity. I think in the episode with his dad he’s living in an apt and cleaning his own shower, not many eps later would have a mansion & airplane.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

JediTalentAgent posted:

Not quite, but the recent Brave and the Bold crossover movie has them meet Martian Manhunter, Detective Chimp, and Aquaman as well.

(BatB Aquaman, who is a treasure.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixXnzefsBA

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah definitely still in the early stage when the writers have mentioned they weren’t consistent about what Krusty’s show was or his level of celebrity. I think in the episode with his dad he’s living in an apt and cleaning his own shower, not many eps later would have a mansion & airplane.

Given the topic of a lot of his episodes I like the idea that Krusty is constantly swinging between ludicrously wealthy and barely managing to stay afloat. I think the Simpsons handbook did say Krusty has 'seen some very high highs and very low lows'. Basically Nicholas Cage as a clown.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not quite, but the recent Brave and the Bold crossover movie has them meet Martian Manhunter, Detective Chimp, and Aquaman as well.

(BatB Aquaman, who is a treasure.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixXnzefsBA

two things:

1. john dimaggio works amazingly well for this particular type of character
2. :lol: at the pauses while the audience starts applauding

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I think it's pretty loving neat that Frank Welker started playing Fred when he was like 17 and is still doing so

also he's Scooby now

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

It blows my mind that Frank Welker has been voicing cartoon characters and making animal noises continuously since Richard Nixon was POTUS and the Beatles were still (somewhat) together as a band.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i can't believe frank welker is still alive

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Mr Interweb posted:

two things:

1. john dimaggio works amazingly well for this particular type of character
2. :lol: at the pauses while the audience starts applauding

I think he's also the Joker in this show.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Empty Sandwich posted:

I think the 10th-season Futurama ep where they parody Scooby-Doo is loving hilarious

this is well written, and the copyright-avoidance-zooming ads a few jokes like Hermes' deadeyed stare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQltPSDn30A

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, there's a weird Bill Plympton couch gag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGsnpNdrB2Q

They do a parody of that Pelaton (Pedalon) ad with the wife who gets one and Marge decides she wants one. It goes well, but Marge develops a crush on the instructor. Homer finds out where he lives and goes over there to fight him but gets his rear end beat real bad. Marge takes a real bike there and saves him.

In one of the Pedalon classes the instructor plays "Taps" and Skinner solemnly takes off his wig.

Lisa gets a jury summons, and the bureaucrats refuse to let her out of it for stupid reasons. Herman is on trial for murder. Lisa has a rant about how dumb the court is and gets found in contempt. This just gets her tossed out of court though. This was an extremely dumb and unfunny B story.

Some OK gags:
- A surly Alexa smoking on its break.
- The instructor is doing a ride on a green screen of the Great Wall of China when Marge and Homer fight him. They knock him off the Great Wall, he falls down the side and hits several rocks on the way down, and it cuts back to his apartment where he's lying in the same crumpled heap in his apartment.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 8, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plympton better watch out, or people will start thinking of him primarily as "that guy who keeps doing those weird Simpsons couch gags"

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Data Graham posted:

Plympton better watch out, or people will start thinking of him primarily as "that guy who keeps doing those weird Simpsons couch gags"

might be too late

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I left football on and it transitioned to the Simpsons. It's some zany clip show riff on different out there stories. Not terrible so far? Not that funny though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What if 22 Films of Springfield was really unfunny?

E:

iamsosmrt posted:

I left football on and it transitioned to the Simpsons.

they called you out! they know!

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 10, 2022

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

It was nice of them to make the fact that all of the clips were bad part of the plot, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Das Boo posted:

I remember watching original Scooby Doos as a 4 year-old in 1992 and becoming wise to the fact that I was never going to see a "real" monster in this show. As a horror-obsessed tot, this frustrated me and I swore off the show until a friend brought over a VHS copy of Zombie Island. I felt so justified.

It did make me a 90's child privy to 70's celebrities, for better or worse.

All of my knowledge of golden-age hollywood celebs comes from Merry Melodies impersonations