Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

lmao that theres goons itt going "theyre straight actually"

On the flipside, I also remember when the same writer was doing a Lupin IIIrd season (which had already had a major gay character) people in that thread got excited when one of two girls at an all girl school in a close friendship talked about how she had fallen in love for the first time now...

Only for it to be revealed that she was just crushing on Lupin. (Which, to be fair, is a pretty common way for people to respond to Lupin, even if they're out of his strike zone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.zeonic-republic.net/?page_id=9814

Here's a translation of an interview with the producer of the series. Something interesting was this

So apparently there was some kind of split planned even before the Prologue was made.

This provide a bunch of useful info.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Stairmaster posted:

While I'm pretty sure most people in here are jokingly invoking those tropes; the number of shows where everything seems set up for a gay couple only to veer course into making sure everyone isn't gay last minute vastly out numbers the ones that don't. Even in mecha series. Even Gunbuster has one of the main cast marry an older guy dying of space disease despite the two main girls having much better chemistry together.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

While I'm pretty sure most people in here are jokingly invoking those tropes; the number of shows where everything seems set up for a gay couple only to veer course into making sure everyone isn't gay last minute vastly out numbers the ones that don't. Even in mecha series. Even Gunbuster has one of the main cast marry an older guy dying of space disease despite the two main girls having much better chemistry together.

To be fair, Gunbuster has one scene of flower vision in episode one and beyond that just has Noriko and Kasumi be friends and coworkers whose romantic relationships with guys are major plot points. It's basically a joke on how that setup was a common trope in sports anime.

When you have the rivalry between the Soviet pilot and the Japanese pilot that starts in episode 2 revolve around how they both want to hook up with Coach, the show's not trying to fool anyone.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Gunbuster is pretty clear about what it's about from episode 2, when the show stopped being so steeped in a very specific parody that's kind of hard to clock these days. It's more a victim of its own hype over the years and false expectations you might get from watching Diebuster than it is of fakeout writing (which, to be fair is a major problem of the genre and something that has some pretty bitter examples pop up in recent years). Being skeptical of the show is fine, we're one episode in after all, but there is a world of difference between something with just plausibly deniable Fruity Vibes or imagery to go off of and a script that places such noticeable and specific emphasis on saying "hey, what you're seeing on screen? That's Homosexuality baby".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chiasaur11 posted:

To be fair, Gunbuster has one scene of flower vision in episode one and beyond that just has Noriko and Kasumi be friends and coworkers whose romantic relationships with guys are major plot points. It's basically a joke on how that setup was a common trope in sports anime.

When you have the rivalry between the Soviet pilot and the Japanese pilot that starts in episode 2 revolve around how they both want to hook up with Coach, the show's not trying to fool anyone.

Gunbuster was just the gayest robot series I could think of because I've been on a real gunbuster kick lately :negative: love that robot design. It was basically that or darling in the franxx (which was absolutely not even in the realm of pretending an actual romance would happen) which I will forever remember because of how lovely it treated that one girl who wanted to pilot with the other girl. I need more gay mecha in my life though, if anyone knows any good series.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Nuebot posted:

Gunbuster was just the gayest robot series I could think of because I've been on a real gunbuster kick lately :negative: love that robot design. It was basically that or darling in the franxx (which was absolutely not even in the realm of pretending an actual romance would happen) which I will forever remember because of how lovely it treated that one girl who wanted to pilot with the other girl. I need more gay mecha in my life though, if anyone knows any good series.

Char's Counterattack.

Granbelm's pretty cute too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How is Gunbuster the gayest robot series you can think of when Diebuster exists.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

http://www.zeonic-republic.net/?page_id=9814

Here's a translation of an interview with the producer of the series. Something interesting was this

So apparently there was some kind of split planned even before the Prologue was made.

It's interesting to read the bit about "We felt that a major war between major powers, something like nations pitted against nations, wouldn’t seem that realistic and would be difficult to connect with", in light of current events. And it feels all the stranger after reading an interview with Tatsuyuki Nagai this year about Iron Blooded Orphans, where he talked about how it was a Gundam made in peacetime, that the themes it used were ones that he wouldn't approach in the same way if he was making a show in a world with the largest land war in Europe since WWII still ongoing.

It feels detached.

(The Sony hack feels like a lifetime ago, but one thing that stuck with me? Sony, one of the biggest companies in the world, had its guts ripped open and put on public display by North Korea, the shittiest of nation-states. )

Moving to the broader interview, it's interesting to compare it to the Iron Blooded Orphans interviews I've read in how the show was made. Iron Blooded Orphans was in some level of production back in 2010, maybe 2011, although it had a pause until 2014 for AGE, and was a passion project. Tatsuyuki Nagai had wanted to make a Gundam show since he was a kid, and had all these grand ideas. Then, when he started bouncing them off Mari Okada, she went "Hey, I want to make something about a bunch of teenage boys on their own being the kind of people who don't shower very often right now. This sounds great and I want in." It was talented people organically coming together to make the story they wanted to tell, which shifted in the telling. The producer, Masakazu Ogawa was working with Nagai at the jump, figuring out what they wanted the story to focus on together, but it does seem like Nagai was the primary driving force.

Here, however, the production seems to have a lot more of the central ideas set before a director or writer was hired.

Could be wrong, but there's the feeling that what Bandai wanted from Iron Blooded Orphans was "A Gundam", and then they worked with Nagai (and later Okada) to make their Gundam, while here, Bandai had a somewhat more specific show in mind, then got people to make Bandai's Gundam. Interesting if that's the case, because that suggests a lot of variability in production that I find interesting.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
eh all it really sounds like there is that they'd already decided they wanted to have a female protagonist & then hired staff with that in mind.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/hino_hiro/status/1577017694393466881

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Incidentally, I do think there's reasonable odds of a redemption arc for Guel, if only because he's clearly the sort of guy who's very good at setting himself up to have the arrogance and entitlement repeatedly beaten out of him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The precocious high school kids team up to stop the adults when they realize how their enders game combat drills have real world consequences?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/ogasanart/status/1576753496216735744

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

They're not established as anything at the moment. Moirine appears content to superficially accept any situation foisted on her in terms of grooms because she's so resigned to the idea, while Suletta literally just realized that lesbians are a thing going by her reaction to being called Moirine's groom. I don't doubt the show will be happy to heavily imply they're a couple in future, though whether it'll actually commit to it in the end is definitely an open question, but there's no romance there on either person's end or even implication of preference at the moment really.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Look, they’re not confirmed lesbians until they turn into core fighters. I don’t make the rules.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

https://twitter.com/alltsun_nodere/status/1577141994308390912

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tsob posted:

They're not established as anything at the moment. Moirine appears content to superficially accept any situation foisted on her in terms of grooms because she's so resigned to the idea, while Suletta literally just realized that lesbians are a thing going by her reaction to being called Moirine's groom. I don't doubt the show will be happy to heavily imply they're a couple in future, though whether it'll actually commit to it in the end is definitely an open question, but there's no romance there on either person's end or even implication of preference at the moment really.

cope

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Am I on 4chan? Cope with what, exactly? That the show hasn't fully established their relationship in the first episode?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I dunno, it seems pretty well-established by the episode that they are now engaged.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

Am I on 4chan? Cope with what, exactly? That the show hasn't fully established their relationship in the first episode?

There's not a whole lot of lee-way with "You're my groom, and yes girls get married here because that's normal". The last line is pretty drat telling considering it's all but directed right at the audience.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And even if the relationship isn't genuine at this moment, you don't have two characters get engaged in the first episode to not have that relationship be endgame.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's not a whole lot of lee-way with "You're my groom, and yes girls get married here because that's normal". The last line is pretty drat telling considering it's all but directed right at the audience.

There's also not a lot in it to indicate how either feels about it, but Suletta is explicitly surprised that it is a thing that can happen. Which implies she doesn't identify as a lesbian yet for one; whatever about Moirine's feelings on the matter.

Waffleman_ posted:

And even if the relationship isn't genuine at this moment, you don't have two characters get engaged in the first episode to not have that relationship be endgame.

Given the media industry's reticent attitude toward portraying any relationship that isn't a straight forward straight pairing of one man and one woman, I'll believe it when I see it frankly. As I said, I don't doubt for a second the show will imply it; only that it'll commit to it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 4, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

There's also not a lot in it to indicate how either feels about it, but Suletta is explicitly surprised that it is a thing that can happen. Which implies she doesn't identify as a lesbian yet for one; whatever about Moirine's feelings on the matter.

Yes, and guess what will probably transpire in the coming episodes?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The novel quotes people have pasted make it pretty clear that Ericht's childhood has set her up to take in as many new concepts as possible. Being the only child on a mining colony with little guidance means she hasn't developed a fixed mindset on things like gender norms.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, and guess what will probably transpire in the coming episodes?

Character development? Did you somehow misread "the show hasn't established anything about how either feels about it yet" as " nooooo! I'll never accept the show doing so!!!!" or something?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/OatMegaPlus/status/1577331745032376320?t=Hw_jCrcv_D9Hvof0G4OT3g&s=19

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Waffleman_ posted:

It would be kinda funny if they ended up as arch-nemeses. Char and Amuro's "if things had gone differently they could have been lovers" but as text instead of subtext.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I do hope Aerial actually gets some presence as a character in the show. Even just talking in text on her phone/PDA thing or something.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
It's just kinda weird to assume that a work that is directly referencing one of the most well known pieces of queer anime ever made, in a franchise that has already had canonical gay marriage, isn't going to commit, based on a single episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm in the mindset of "wait and see" wrt same sex relationships considering the bar for gay relationships in anime is so low it's currently buried under the Chernobyl sarcophagus. I remain hopeful for a flagship title like this to handle it well but I'll always remain wary until I see it happen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

It's just kinda weird to assume that a work that is directly referencing one of the most well known pieces of queer anime ever made, in a franchise that has already had canonical gay marriage, isn't going to commit, based on a single episode.

I think it is also fair to say that this stuff gets teased without actual commitment so often that people are gunshy of it actually following through versus a bait and switch. I think acting like people have no reason to be cautious is a bit unfair.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think it is also fair to say that this stuff gets teased without actual commitment so often that people are gunshy of it actually following through versus a bait and switch. I think acting like people have no reason to be cautious is a bit unfair.

If they'd left it on "Hello, my Groom" for a dramatic finish on the episode, sure; I could see it bait and switching even as soon as the next episode just for a fakeout one way or another. Capping it with a direct statement like "Girls can get married together, that's normal here" is a little too specific for that though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/chesuchesuto/status/1577119692959133696?s=46&t=com2m5zhXAnOXCacCPQAUA

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If they'd left it on "Hello, my Groom" for a dramatic finish on the episode, sure; I could see it bait and switching even as soon as the next episode just for a fakeout one way or another. Capping it with a direct statement like "Girls can get married together, that's normal here" is a little too specific for that though.

Yeah. And this is after Birdie Wing, a Sunrise anime aimed at the same demographic also to sell Gunpla. And towards the end that had a running plotline about everybody trying to keep the two female leads from being alone in the same room because they were so horny for each other.

I never rule out a major studio loving up LGBT representation, but there's no specific reason to be uneasy about WfM so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have seen enough 'girls falling in love is fine but that doesn't mean we will actually do it' stuff that I don't consider that a slam dunk, no.

Hopefully that isn't one of those shows but it is frustrating for people to act like this is coming from nowhere.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

maybe the silver one will be brutally murdered and then the back half the season will be the red head and feels gundam going sicko mode

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, this is the set-up. We have no idea where this will end. It is good that gay marriage are confirmed as being normal though.

Lol the backlash if it ends in tragedy.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get being cautious but also people saying it isn't a proper relationship till the show explicitly stated it at the end does feel like goal post shifting that happens a lot online and never really happens when it's male and female pairing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, we do at least have to acknowledge that the protagonist rescuing a girl from her abusive fiancé and ending up engaged to her in his place is more romantic development than any main couple in Gundam has ever received in the first episode of their show.