Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Wild. My Monkey costs ~$200/year with full coverage through Progressive in Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
My experience was Geico was insanely expensive and Progressive was the only sane quote for me. I pay $400 a year for full coverage, and I think Geico was over $1400 or something like that. Not sure I understand the wide gulf between them (700cc bike).

Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 4, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Wild. My Monkey costs ~$200/year with full coverage through Progressive in Oregon.

gently caress that was a typo. I pay $100/year. I can only assume this has to do with the tiny slow bike

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Liability only should be dirt cheap. I pay $70 a year for my MT03.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That's been my experience with Progressive in PA, I normally do liability only and its been $75/yr for my past 3 bikes. I finally did full coverage for the Zero and even that is barely over $200/yr.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah the quote I got back was around $1k/year for just liability, which seems ridiculous even for California. Maybe I’ll try getting a quote from them directly instead of going through my usual guy.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I use Farmers but they are just reselling Foremost. I haven’t had any experience with them besides paying my bill, so no idea if they’re any good!

What are they quoting you and how much liability are you getting? I have liability and comprehensive (no collision), and I think it’s $60/month. Note: I am potentially a sucker.

Edit: lol whoops I didn’t see there was more posts somehow. 1k/year seems a little high to me. I’d shop around a little.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i am paying one hundred and forty US dollars a month for full coverage on a 400cc motorcycle (in miami FL)

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I also did the Progressive-through-AAA thing and paid $435 for a year of pretty decent full coverage for my Rebel 500 so that just seems weird to me. Watch it being something weird and dumb like not giving you safe driver discount or something.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

unimportantguy posted:

I also did the Progressive-through-AAA thing and paid $435 for a year of pretty decent full coverage for my Rebel 500 so that just seems weird to me. Watch it being something weird and dumb like not giving you safe driver discount or something.

when I asked about that, he said I needed to have my M1 for >3 years to get the safe driver discount, but also that discount was <20% so it surely won't explain the majority of the difference.

guess I should just get a bunch of quotes and see what i can find.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Wangsbig posted:

i am paying one hundred and forty US dollars a month for full coverage on a 400cc motorcycle (in miami FL)

that seems crazy high to me. I'm paying 180 per year for liability, admittedly, but 140 a month is a huge difference. I'm on a 300 cc ninja from 2014.

is this the insurance place loving you over or like, mega high premiums due to model of bike or something?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Cities are always skewed by a ton of moto theft I bet. Especially if you don't have private parking.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I managed to get the safe driver discount because I’ve been riding a scooter for a few years now. By the time I got a big boy bike, I had already gotten past that “we can pretend you’re a dangerous baby and charge you through the nose” stage.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Jowj posted:

that seems crazy high to me. I'm paying 180 per year for liability, admittedly, but 140 a month is a huge difference. I'm on a 300 cc ninja from 2014.

is this the insurance place loving you over or like, mega high premiums due to model of bike or something?

FL is a no-fault state and has the most uninsured drivers in the country apparently, this is roughly as low as full coverage motorcycle insurance goes from what I've learned asking around

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FFS, some of yall's rates are "find a new hobby" territory for me.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

For real. I do not think I would be riding with those rates.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

736 CHF for both bikes for the equivalent of fully comprehensive insurance. It was 727 for just the Fireblade so it would have been stupid not to have bought the Ducati.

I don't think that is too bad considering how expensive everything is here.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm reinsuring just now, all 3 of my vehicles.

Fat Bob is now down to £300 per annum, comprehensive, from last year's £350.
LiveWire is now down to £840 per annum, comprehensive, from last year's £1740.
BMW 525D is now down to £350, third party, fire and theft only, from last year's £850.

The 1 year of no claims helps!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm willing to bet a huge number of bikes in FL are not insured.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
bout a thou freedumb bucks per year full comp 100/300 limits africatwin/ktm adv.
bout a thou per year full comp 100/300 declared value policy on the house and its motive unit.

mid 30s/40s, dink,good credit, no points, etc.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Well I've hit a year of riding now. Time to upgrade from my 100hp beginner 600 to something bigger. Should have known I was going to outgrow this bike so quickly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

metallicaeg posted:

Well I've hit a year of riding now. Time to upgrade from my 100hp beginner 600 to something bigger. Should have known I was going to outgrow this bike so quickly.

You should get this to sate your desires.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Midjack posted:

You should get this to sate your desires.

:jawdrop:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Thinking about this for a daily driver.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1175438429971611/

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

metallicaeg posted:

I'm a bit over a year into being a licenced rider as well. 9000km or so on my 30hp first bike and while I'm still learning plenty on it I'm starting to wish at times I had a bit more power. SV650 seems highly likely for next season. I have no idea what to do with 75hp let alone 100+ but you gotta have it to learn using it i suppose. Now there's fallen leaves everywhere and the streets are mostly cold and wet so all my riding is pretty sedate anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

metallicaeg posted:

I thought there was no sarcasm itt?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Slavvy posted:

Is that an actual rule? Oops

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Was going to ask you to post your sources

A certain bike specific forum I was looking for oil change info on recently had at least two unironic posts even worse than that. "Had this bike a week, I'm bored, going to get a 600 now!" I should have just asked my dumb questions on this forum, although I did entertainingly waste some time catching a years old flame war between a now banned oil brand rep and a bunch of other posters about motorcycle oil brands, with an uncovered sock puppet account and everything.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Newbie bike reviews - KRT edition

Went to a couple different demo days to sample some Kawasaki bikes: Vulcan S, z650, z650RS, Versys 650, and Z900. I decided to stick to bikes that I would actually consider buying, as much as I would have liked to try the supersports.

Only got about 15 minutes with each one, but the 650s all felt pretty similar (not in a bad way), variations in the riding position notwithstanding. Approachable power and weight, but somewhat snatchy in the parking lot and in stop-and-go traffic. Nothing too exciting about any of them, though they would fulfill everything I "need" out of a bike. If I had to pick among the 650s, I'd go with the RS for the looks.

The Vulcan seemed smoother than the others. The cruiser riding position felt odd to me but I guess that's only because I wasn't used to it. Upper body felt very comfortable, but my legs weren't used to the feet forward position. I think the foot controls were a bit too far forward for me as I had to recline more than I expected in order to reach them.

The z900 though, wow. I was a little intimidated by it, but it was also surprisingly approachable. It felt much lighter than its weight and maneuvered just as easily in traffic as the others. And that I did not expect to be so excited by the engine. Really smooth but strong power delivery. Had to stop myself from revving it just to hear the noise. I didn't get to wring it out since I was with a group, but it was a lot of fun and was the most memorable of all the Kawis. It's the one I most want to ride again, but also the one I worry most about owning because I don't know if my skills are up to it yet. It might be too much bike for the kind of riding I mainly do, getting around the city and suburbs, sometimes a couple hours on the highway. I really wish I got to try the z900RS and compare it, though the 900RS is $3000 more.

I might trade up over the winter if any good deals pop up, but I'm not in any rush. I want to try out a Trident and an SV650 as well. Maybe the new Hornet?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Throw a CB650 into the mix if you want to try something that's not a 2 cylinder. Haven't tried that one myself - i've only once tried a 'tame' honda 4 cylinder and that was the early 2000s beaten to hell and back loaner bike of the bike shop here. I don't think that thing is at all representative of tame honda 4 cylinder bikes lol.

Personally i absolutely love the SV650. Absolutely try and test ride one. It's not the most exciting bike out there, but it's reliable, very smooth in start/stop traffic and especially the fairly new versions are pretty flickable.
They sound great too, but are very quiet, you kinda only hear your own bike in tunnels or at like 7000rpm. Which is a good thing if you live in a quiet neighborhood.
Can be made into a very capable track bike with relatively minor investments if you want something that corners better than the stock thing.

Perhaps SVs are not the best long distance bike. Might just be me - i'm not a long distance guy at all, living in a country just 3 hours 'long' - but after 6 hours on my SV650s i'm wrecked.

This all is assuming you're not a total newbie, or did your riding lessons in Europe on an ER6/SV650.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 9, 2022

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A CBR250 to a Z900 is a big step. The thing with big i4 engines is they behave like a 600 up to something like 6000rpm and then there's a huge tidal wave of power. While that's fun per se it can actually get in the way of enjoying your ride and stop you improving.

An i4 Hornet would be a good thing to try as well as the sv650 and MT-07 usual suspects. 660 tuono if they've fixed the teething problems?

If you're determined to get a big bike at least go all the way and get a Tuono V4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Don’t give newbies sarcastic answers, as they can’t parse that from real advice, I believe was the original intent

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Everyone’s second bike should be a Busa

Real talk my second bike I’m thinking will be a 650-700. I see no reason or need for anything more

500 has been great to learn on , both
Riding and how to take care of like oil changes and wrenching tasks, plus it was dirt cheap

Ideally my 2nd bike id like newer so less wrenching is required and more having fun

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 9, 2022

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don’t give newbies sarcastic answers, as they can’t parse that from real advice, I believe was the original intent

Yes. I also made this thread at a time when newbies were getting mockery in other threads for asking dumb questions, and as a teacher that bothered me. It sucks to get into a new hobby and smash head-on into stuck up grognards who treat you like a dumbass for being inexperienced.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just rolled over 7k miles on the Monkey. Would love something bigger, but I won't have money for that for a while.
Besides, the current setup does almost everything I want and gets me to and from work every day very cheaply.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

knox_harrington posted:

A CBR250 to a Z900 is a big step. The thing with big i4 engines is they behave like a 600 up to something like 6000rpm and then there's a huge tidal wave of power. While that's fun per se it can actually get in the way of enjoying your ride and stop you improving.

Yes, that's pretty much my concern here. Glad I got to try it out, but I understand that a different engine in a deceptively familiar package can be a recipe for trouble. Also, I looked up insurance quotes and my rate would rise 3x-4x with a 900.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I did some decent long distance on my Er6 and as long as the road is fun and not just a straight shot highway it was fine. Wish I knew about the SV650 and the Honda 4 cyl 650 when I was shopping for bikes to compare against.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
My partner and I rented a cabin an hour outside the city and I had probably one of the best rides as well as the scariest encounter in my ~10 months on two wheels. I downloaded Calimoto and set it for a 90 mile round trip and I got to experience a long ride out in the country with hills, curvy roads, and so many animals I'm a nerd that loves riding past cows and donkeys. There was one spot where a Mustang was taking a corner toward me way over speed, went wide, and swerved back into his lane about 50' from where I was- a few seconds earlier and there's a good chance I would have a broken bone or twenty at best. A brush with my own mortality aside it was a joy to experience something other than stop and go traffic or a trip out into the less populated burbs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Everybody loves animals until a mustang almost takes them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For real though I’m glad you made it out ok minus maybe a bit of pants making GBS threads